Positional Needs For DraftTek - Astro

Astrobot

I think they would. Its not like Taylor has played well.

If we are in the top 10 I am thinking Trubinsky.

I think at end of day though you are gonna need to be in the top 5 to get him.

Also like Mayfield and Rudolph if your looking in the 20s.

Then I guess we just have a different perception of an NFL QB. I don't like any of those guys. Kizer feels like he has a chance IMO but he is nowhere near a sure thing. The rest of the guys in this class do nothing for me. I like the 2018 class though.

I don't think that Tyrod is perfect (by any means) but he's middle of the league and has some strengths. He hasn't been the problem with this team (at all). 3 of the 4 losses the defense was just destroyed (today, Jets and Miami). The Bills can't get off the field. I don't know why sometimes they are good and other atrocious. It may be coaching. Safety play is a big reason IMO. They have to add a stud back there if AW is done.

The offense has moved the ball and put points on the board. They have done it consistently even without their best playmakers. You can't let teams score every time that they touch the ball.

Gillislee is good enough, if you Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Ben Roethlisberger...he might even be a good 1st back with that kind of team.

This team is different from any other offense. It needs a constant threat from the backfield, and must make sure that injuries don't slow it down.

They should have stuck with the run IMO. Right before the half is a great example. Run the ball and then pass of the run. They stopped doing what they do wel and it hurt them. Edited by Kirby Jackson

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The offense has moved the ball and put points on the board. They have done it consistently even without their best playmakers. You can't let teams score every time that they touch the ball.

They should have stuck with the run IMO. Right before the half is a great example. Run the ball and then pass of the run. They stopped doing what they do wel and it hurt them.

Honestly, they could have had the best Safety in the league out there today, and they would have lost. They are way ahead in so many ways, and have changed the emphasis of their team so often, that I think trying to build a team to beat them is the wrong approach.

Honestly, they could have had the best Safety in the league out there today, and they would have lost. They are way ahead in so many ways, and have changed the emphasis of their team so often, that I think trying to build a team to beat them is the wrong approach.

Maybe, I'm saying it wrong. The Bills have a few really, really weak spots (WR and safety). Some teams are looking for good depth in the draft. The Bills need a few day one starters. I'm not saying that they would have won but watching Blanton, Meeks and Duke is so different than when AW is out there. There is a giant gap with him out and I believe he will walk away from football (and don't blame him). There are some GREAT safeties in this draft and we need one.

Maybe, I'm saying it wrong. The Bills have a few really, really weak spots (WR and safety). Some teams are looking for good depth in the draft. The Bills need a few day one starters. I'm not saying that they would have won but watching Blanton, Meeks and Duke is so different than when AW is out there. There is a giant gap with him out and I believe he will walk away from football (and don't blame him). There are some GREAT safeties in this draft and we need one.

I didn't say they shouldn't draft other positions.

I think they can find a loose Safety in free agency.

RB and WR are both critical, and both of the guys (who are far and away, the most talented offensive players) at those positions have missed significant time or have played hobbled.

This team is a mess.

info?

He will change your life. He was a 3 star out of Pennsylvania that they compare to Ed Reed. He has INSANE closing speed. See it here: http://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2016/10/76006/northwestern-debriefing-noah-brown-destroys-two-men-malik-hooker-was-everywhere-the-slobs-moved-men?amp?client=safari?client=safari

He makes a lot of plays on the ball and has great instincts. IMO, those are really important qualities to beat the Pats. FWIW, I have a good friend that played for Belicheck (and Saban) and BB's favorite player ever is Ed Reed. He used to show the Pats Ed Reed highlights before every game. Malik Hooker would be an AMAZING addition for the Bills (especially if AW is done).

He will change your life. He was a 3 star out of Pennsylvania that they compare to Ed Reed. He has INSANE closing speed. See it here: http://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2016/10/76006/northwestern-debriefing-noah-brown-destroys-two-men-malik-hooker-was-everywhere-the-slobs-moved-men?amp?client=safari?client=safari

He makes a lot of plays on the ball and has great instincts. IMO, those are really important qualities to beat the Pats. FWIW, I have a good friend that played for Belicheck (and Saban) and BB's favorite player ever is Ed Reed. He used to show the Pats Ed Reed highlights before every game. Malik Hooker would be an AMAZING addition for the Bills (especially if AW is done).

I would definitely consider him whether Aaron comes back or not. Makes more sense in the Bills situation to use a 1st round pick on a quality safety than on one of the very mediocre QBs coming out, or on a high-end WR who won't get much use under Rex and TT, and going for a TE high inthe 1st round would be malfeasance cosidering this is the Bills.

I would definitely consider him whether Aaron comes back or not. Makes more sense in the Bills situation to use a 1st round pick on a quality safety than on one of the very mediocre QBs coming out, or on a high-end WR who won't get much use under Rex and TT, and going for a TE high inthe 1st round would be malfeasance cosidering this is the Bills.

There are a couple of great safeties in Hooker and Adams. Hooker may be off the board by the Bills pick. Bandit and Blokes love Justin Evans too. Those guys know their stuff. It is a great draft for needing a safety. There are multiple guys IMO that could be Pro Bowlers as rookies. I would love to replace Meeks/Blanton/Duke with one of them.

WR is another need. There are some good ones but this draft doesn't have the depth of some others. If the Bills started Malik Hooker and Corey Davis I'd throw a party. I know BB is always concerned with "is that an NFL skill set." When I watch these guys the skills are hard to deny. It's not a system thing.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Lol I doubt it, but hopefully the Bills.

This is Astro, the guy who writes Astro-Notes from training camp. I'm the Bills' Analyst for DraftTek. I submit weekly team needs to DraftTek, and our computer selects players fitting those needs from our Big Board, which tracks 450 college players.

I need your input for upcoming mocks. These are posted pre-dawn on Thursdays. Here's the way positional needs are right now:

P1 (Can only have one P1 position)===>WR.

We're on fumes here. Goodwin's catch percentage is <35%, Woods is an above average WR and a willing downfield blocker, and Watkins can't show it while riding pine. Powell isn't doing what he's supposed to, Tate's now more of a KR-PR than WR, and Justin Hunter is...tall. I'd prefer a tall WR who gets in and out of breaks quickly. I have a "Multiple" on WR, so the computer may select a second WR if the value is there on Day 3.

P2 (Can have more than one P2, and computer selects the one with least "reach")===> NT, S, OT, OG.

Rex needs a true nose tackle because Dareus CAN play the position well, but he's more of the 3-tech DT in a 4-3 alignment. Right now, he's nothing because he's not in there, and the Bills lost the Fins game because their OL got to our LBs. Aaron Williams may be done, and the next best S on PFF's Premium Stats isn't even in the top 50. Offensive line depth still isn't reliable, although Kujo and Groy look passable enough to drop this to P3.

P3====>TE.

Clay has caught 5 balls in 4 of the last 5 games, but wasn't a factor in the Fins loss. O'Leary, 2-time Mackey Award-winner, is getting into the rhythm of this offense and beginning to produce, but the Bills need a TE who can block and catch equally well. Dray was cut because he signaled run.

P4====>RB, OC, EDGE, CB.

These are typically Day 3 selections, and could be P6's. Bills have a twice-injured McCoy, a washed-up Bush (that didn't sound right), TD Mike (possibly the best of the bunch--he's 4th in YPC in the NFL), and Jon Williams, who may be okay if he holds onto the ball. The Bills tried to find a backup OC but Velasco didn't work. They likely need a big strong smart Center to handle the division's big NT's and 3-techs. Wood is a smart finesse OC but groom his successor now. EDGE is listed on FanSpeak as a need, and they'd have this position as a P3 or even P2. We have guys PLAYING EDGE in Rex's D who elsewhere are OLB34, DE, or 3-tech DT (Lawson, Douzable, Alexander, Washington, McCray). You can help me decide where EDGE goes.

P6====>QB, 3-tech, OLB.

I'm happy with Tyrod for the most part, and EJ's a decent backup. Cardale is still learning but has size, arm strength, better anticipation than either of the others, and a winning history. 3-tech is one of our strengths, but Rex always drafts them. Shaq's being designated as a OLB34 in our scheme, and so is Hughes.

P9====>Speed WR, CB, 5-tech, ILB.

We have Goodwin, Eagan, Listenbee for Speed WR, all with 4.3 speed, so we have the downfield threat sewed up. Whaley likes him some CB and says he'll draft one every year but Darby-Gilmore (with Kevon Seymour in the wings) combine for one of the top 2 CB tandems on PFF, NFLSavant, and other evaluation services. We can have the conversation about Gilmore's contract if you like, in which case this vaults way up. 5-tech is a major strength, as is ILB. DraftTek ranks Kickers but they just aren't drafted (exception: Aguayo, who's struggled).

Let me know if you'd change any of these ratings, and we'll see what gets drafted in our mock as a result.

Astro

My gut says the business decision is let to Gilmore go and use #1 for a corner because Rexs d needs to be stout there.

Lol I doubt it, but hopefully the Bills.

I was kidding but he's a star. He's everywhere. The ball is in the air and he is there. They throw a toss and he is there. His closing speed is ridiculous. FWIW, I doubt that he makes it to the Bills pick but he would solidify this defense.

Jamal Adams is more of a killer (and he's a killer). He will make it to the Bills pick IMO. These guys are stars though. The Bills will need a day one starter if AW is done (like I suspect). They have some scrubs filling the role now. WR is another big need but they may be able to wait a round or 2.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

P1 TE. I'm all for drafting Jake Butt. I think he will be an instant impact player, and would help our offense out a lot. Also would take pressure off the need for a WR, which is a position I would like to go after in free agency.

P2 S. Even if Aaron Williams chooses not to retire, we need help here. Corey Graham is on the wrong side of 30, and the rest of the group is not inspiring.

P3 CB. No guarantee that we keep Gilmore and we know very little about Seymour.

P4 WR. I would prefer we go free agency at this position, but it would be a good idea to get another weapon here.

I was kidding but he's a star. He's everywhere. The ball is in the air and he is there. They throw a toss and he is there. His closing speed is ridiculous. FWIW, I doubt that he makes it to the Bills pick but he would solidify this defense.

Jamal Adams is more of a killer (and he's a killer). He will make it to the Bills pick IMO. These guys are stars though. The Bills will need a day one starter if AW is done (like I suspect). They have some scrubs filling the role now. WR is another big need but they may be able to wait a round or 2.

once we draft Kelly we can get back to the superbowl B-)

I was looking back at out past drafts and it is crazy how so few players stay on the team let alone make an impact.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?teamId=0610&type=team

TT is our second highest paid player :huh:

depressing how much these guys make, if I got the lowest salary for a year all my debt would be gone and would have a ton left over and would never have to work overtime again. Why did I stink at football :wallbash:

They can pick up a decent free agent Safety.

Again, if they intend to keep Tyrod, they have to have a running game that can dominate, week to week, regardless of injuries. Good running backs can step right in as rookies.

Gillislee is "good", they need 2 excellent backs, because one will likely be hobbled for half the games.

One of the first 3 picks should be a RB, and if a really good prospect is there in the 1st, take him. I know that goes against common drafting philosophies, but this offense isn't built around a passing QB.

Not many decent FA Safeties this year. Only Church, IMHO.

There are at least 3 rounds worth of good RBs in the 2017 draft, so I agree.