Is Tyrod anti-clutch?

GG

What a question. Gotta clap it up for this shark jump.

Bravo.

You just called it "garbage time" earlier.

If that were the case, Russell Wilson would never have a need for 4th quarter comebacks. Yet somehow, he's always at the top of the league.

How many times did the Seattle D squander a second half 2 score lead?

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You just called it "garbage time" earlier.

It's garbage time right now. What did you drink today ?

"Clutch" and "garbage time" aren't related at all.

Kudos on the score while down two scores with 19 seconds left. You have a point deep down somewhere l guess.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

It's garbage time right now. What did you drink today ?

"Clutch" and "garbage time" aren't related at all.

Kudos on the score while down two scores with 19 seconds left. You have a point deep down somewhere l guess.

With over just 5 min left in the 3rd Q and up by 11 (that's UP by two scores, for you), the Bills D allowed 21 points. If they could have forced more than a single punt for the rest of the game, we wouldn't be having this conversation--the "point" is right there.

Edited by Mr. WEO

With over just 5 min left in the 3rd Q and up by 11 (that's UP by two scores, for you), the Bills D allowed 21 points. If they could have forced more than a single punt for the rest of the game, we wouldn't be having this conversation--the "point" is right there.

I think you're missing the point. The OP's question is whether Taylor is a clutch QB. Not whether he should have had to have been one today.

There are many things to like about the kid, and he clearly is not a horrible QB who will cost you games.

But it's also clear that he is not a QB who will win games for you. All aspects of the team have to line up ideally for him to come away with a W. In a league of parity though, usually the QB separates the winners from losers and there are always a handful of games where the QB needs to put the team on his back and will them to victory.

Somebody shared a tweet after last week's game that said it was the first time as a Bills that he won a game they trailed in. That wasn't technically correct, as the first was the Titans game last year. That game also counts as the only fourth quarter comeback that TT engineered, although it doesn't qualify for Pro Football Reference comebacks because Bills scored early in the quarter.

So, I looked at TT's series with Bills down by one score or less with 2-4 minutes to go in the game (so hardly desperation time). Here are the sad results:

NE1 - 0 FD - 0 Yds - 1 INT

NE2 - 2 FD - 32 Yds

KC - 1 FD - 19 Yds

Phi - 0 FD - -2 Yds - 1 INT

Balt - 0 FD - -8 Yds

Miami - 0 FD - 0 Yds

Six opportunities, zero clutch drives.

Not good. 😔

The old "Up 11 with 5 mins left in 3rd qtr theorem" Got it.

Falcons shoulda used that today, the Chargers week in and week out too.

The old "Up 11 with 5 mins left in 3rd qtr theorem" Got it.

Falcons shoulda used that today, the Chargers week in and week out too.

When the team is up with under 8 minutes left in the game and the D lays down for 14 points, why blame the QB for only getting 8 of those points back?

The Bills are 6th in the league in points scored.

There are many things to like about the kid, and he clearly is not a horrible QB who will cost you games.

But it's also clear that he is not a QB who will win games for you. All aspects of the team have to line up ideally for him to come away with a W. In a league of parity though, usually the QB separates the winners from losers and there are always a handful of games where the QB needs to put the team on his back and will them to victory.

Somebody shared a tweet after last week's game that said it was the first time as a Bills that he won a game they trailed in. That wasn't technically correct, as the first was the Titans game last year. That game also counts as the only fourth quarter comeback that TT engineered, although it doesn't qualify for Pro Football Reference comebacks because Bills scored early in the quarter.

So, I looked at TT's series with Bills down by one score or less with 2-4 minutes to go in the game (so hardly desperation time). Here are the sad results:

NE2 - 2 FD - 32 Yds

KC - 1 FD - 19 Yds

Balt - 0 FD - -8 Yds

Miami - 0 FD - 0 Yds

NE2 - 2 FD - 32 Yds

KC - 1 FD - 19 Yds

Balt - 0 FD - -8 Yds

Miami - 0 FD - 0 Yds

What I have been saying for two years. Won't cost you games, but cannot put the team on his shoulders and win one either. Good stop gap, but not worth the contract. Edited by DirtDart

I still say EJ could have been a better QB if he were given the time.

well no, this is a crap statement, tyrod cant handle a D thats about to close out a team in the last 2 min, but ej cant handle the whole game period, and he had enough starts to see the obvious, or do you still think trent edwards just needed a better line?

well no, this is a crap statement, tyrod cant handle a D thats about to close out a team in the last 2 min, but ej cant handle the whole game period, and he had enough starts to see the obvious, or do you still think trent edwards just needed a better line?

Lol......too funny.

Edited by DirtDart

So, we basically should turn this thread into a Dareus thread, since he was obviously the missing piece.

You can't discount the loss of AWill either.

He has yet to take a team that is down in the 4th and win the game

And if the Offense actually got a decent drive instead of 3 and outs until game was over

NE2 - 2 FD - 32 Yds

KC - 1 FD - 19 Yds

Balt - 0 FD - -8 Yds

Miami - 0 FD - 0 Yds

I did not know the exact numbers...But I know this was a big topic on WGR last year and this past off-season...It's easy to see...

There are built in excuses for Tyrod this year...And they're real...Good grief they're banged up on Offense...But I've never been of the mind that TT is that good...He's an amazing scrambler, runner, and a heck of an athlete...He throws a decent long ball...But IMHO he's never going to be quite good enough unless everything falls in to place (they stay healthy, get a real good #2 WR, and dominate in the running game)...And that so very rarely happens in the NFL... B-)

The only way, "clutch," can be used in the same sentence as, "Tyrod Taylor," would be - "I'm sick of watching Tyrod Taylor clutch the ball for 10 seconds every time he drops back whilst finding zero of his open receivers."

I've said this about Taylor since last year. He's a good game manager when the defense shows up and plays. Look at the four wins before today. The defense generated 10 turnovers. Tyrod had to throw for an average of a whopping 156 yards per game. Those are game manager stats. Yesterday, we needed him to make plays and move the ball at the end of the game. He simply couldn't do it. Sadly, E.J. Manuel has had more success than Tyrod in these type of situations. I don't have disdain for any Bills QB's past or present. I want them to succeed. With that said, Tyrod is probably not the guy for the future.