If You Think You Know Bills Owner Terry Pegula, Think Again

YoloinOhio

The Buffalo News, pwned. Again. No wonder Sully and Bucky do nothing but snipe.

To be honest, we learned little new in this article. Terry denies the ultimatum. Terry denies he pressured Rex into firing Roman. Who hasn't already reported that weeks or months ago?

And this bit was surprising..."Our offense put the defense on the field the first two games for pretty much the whole first quarter, which set the tempo for the games.”

Say what?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

USA Today:

Bills owner Terry Pegula on Rex, Whaley, Roman, ultimatums and 2016 as playoffs-or-bust: "No way."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/bills/2016/10/20/terry-pegula-buffalo-rex-ryan-doug-whaley/92479660/

Was a good story, but whoever designed that website needs to be kicked in the gonads.

That is a problem. Not sayings the Bills are in any way wrong, but when a paper like the news (or radio station like WGR) writes what the team feels are bad unfounded things, the team will keep them at arms distance, probably not give them any scoops or do anything to make their job easier, so then what happens is the News or WGR will try even harder to fault them whenever they can and things just escalate from there.

To be honest, we learned little new in this article. Terry denies the ultimatum. Terry denies he pressured Rex into firing Roman. Who hasn't already reported that weeks or months ago?

And this bit was surprising..."Our offense put the defense on the field the first two games for pretty much the whole first quarter, which set the tempo for the games.”

Say what?

A few weeks ago, I heard Rex make reference to the fact that we were at the bottom or near bottom of the league last year in the three and out stat. That puts a lot of stress on the defense. I suppose when that pattern continued, they thought a change was in order.

So many WNY sports media figures are so tired and jaded at this point. Schopp, Sully, Bucky, Sal Mairoana with the D& C. Not that I blame them, really, they've been covering bad to mediocre football for a LOOOOONG time.

I wish them no harm or unemployment, necessarily, I just wish they could all pack their bags and ply their trade elsewhere, get more fresh blood, fresh voices in our Bills media coverage.

A few weeks ago, I heard Rex make reference to the fact that we were at the bottom or near bottom of the league last year in the three and out stat. That puts a lot of stress on the defense. I suppose when that pattern continued, they thought a change was in order.

I agree. To my complete non-expert eyes, that's the biggest and maybe most simple change about our team this year. They seem to convert way more third downs. No longer does a failed second down feel like an automatic punt.

So many WNY sports media figures are so tired and jaded at this point. Schopp, Sully, Bucky, Sal Mairoana with the D& C. Not that I blame them, really, they've been covering bad to mediocre football for a LOOOOONG time.

I wish them no harm or unemployment, necessarily, I just wish they could all pack their bags and ply their trade elsewhere, get more fresh blood, fresh voices in our Bills media coverage.

I agree. To my complete non-expert eyes, that's the biggest and maybe most simple change about our team this year. They seem to convert way more third downs. No longer does a failed second down feel like an automatic punt.

not to make this into another game or injury thread but that's why if we have injuries to all of our best offensive players, it's going to make it harder for the defense to do it's job. Without Shady and Woods it's going to be more 3 and outs. That said, our DL rotation is nice.

USA Today:

Bills owner Terry Pegula on Rex, Whaley, Roman, ultimatums and 2016 as playoffs-or-bust: "No way."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/bills/2016/10/20/terry-pegula-buffalo-rex-ryan-doug-whaley/92479660/

I wish he would have just came out and said: "Some reporters when they cannot find a story make one up to justify their overpaid salaries; too bad publishers do not have a salary cap."

There is no nfl ban on owning 2 sports teams in the city. The NFL doesn't allow you to own a nfl franchise in one city if you own another professional sports team in another city. It's why Jacobs couldn't buy the Bills

Jacobs couldn't buy the Bills because he didn't have the backing of the City of Hamilton, ONT. Once Pegula made his pitch to Hamilton, the league approved T Pegs offer. A backroom deal was made that permitted his ownership of both the Sabres and Bills even though they are within a 200 mile radius of Toronto.

Great article.

Kind of surprised the reporter didn't ask him how he got around the ban on owning two professional franchises in the same city.

Because Kim owns the Bills. It's the only way.

And it's not two pro franchises in one city that's banned. Mike Illitch owned everyone in Detroit at one point minus the Lions. It's an NFL rule.

There is no nfl ban on owning 2 sports teams in the city. The NFL doesn't allow you to own a nfl franchise in one city if you own another professional sports team in another city. It's why Jacobs couldn't buy the Bills

Perhaps i stand corrected. My bad.

Fire Regier? Let's start that up again.....

Edited by Seasons1992

Because Kim owns the Bills. It's the only way.

And it's not two pro franchises in one city that's banned. Mike Illitch owned everyone in Detroit at one point minus the Lions. It's an NFL rule.

Perhaps i stand corrected. My bad.

Fire Regier? Let's start that up again.....

I think you were right the first time. It's an anti trust issue (federal regulation) that has trickled down into the NFL By Laws as I recall.

its 2 teams in the same market. Thats fine. If the same sports exists in both markets, it cant happen. Its an NFL rule. The reason Jacobs cant buy the Bills is because he owns the Bruins, who are in the Patriots' market.

It is anti-trust issue, and is to eliminate potential conflicts of interest

http://www.theofficialreview.com/nfl-cross-ownership-rules/

" The League codified this approach in an amendment to its Constitution and Bylaws that allows cross-ownership in another major league sports team in two narrow circumstances: (1) if the two franchises are in the same city, or (2) if the other league’s franchise is in a neutral market"

its 2 teams in the same market. Thats fine. If the same sports exists in both markets, it cant happen. Its an NFL rule. The reason Jacobs cant buy the Bills is because he owns the Bruins, who are in the Patriots' market.

It is anti-trust issue, and is to eliminate potential conflicts of interest

http://www.theofficialreview.com/nfl-cross-ownership-rules/

" The League codified this approach in an amendment to its Constitution and Bylaws that allows cross-ownership in another major league sports team in two narrow circumstances: (1) if the two franchises are in the same city, or (2) if the other league’s franchise is in a neutral market"

Jacobs doesn't own the Patriots...Bob Kraft does.

In the Jets game, the defense was on the field first and could not get off for 15 plays (8:19 min). The offense then came out and promptly (too fast, Terry??) scored a TD. Then the D came back on and could not get off for 9 plays and another 5 plus minutes (and another Jets score). So, to recap, the Bills defense could not get off the field in the first Q, because they could not prevent a million first downs. In fact, in the fist Q of that game, the D kept the offense of the field in the 1st Q.

Terry doesn't sound too bright when he says (or parrots) things like this.

I wish he would have just came out and said: "Some reporters when they cannot find a story make one up to justify their overpaid salaries; too bad publishers do not have a salary cap."

Is it impossible that Terry did deliver an ultimatum and subsequently (for obvious reasons) denied it? Why would that be so far fetched?