Fox PBP man Dick Stockton--worst announcer ever?

Big Turk

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think its time for Fox Play by Play man Dick Stockton to retire. He made some pretty egregious announcement errors today in the Bills game...among them:

1) Called 49ers coach Chip Kelly Jim Kelly.

2) Called Bills backup QB EJ Manuel Eli Manuel

3) Said the Bills had the biggest lead of the game with a 12 point margin when they were up 22.

4) Said the Bills lost 5 yards on a play when they actually gained a yard but started at 1st and 15 instead of 1st and 10 because of a 12 men in the huddle penalty to start the 3rd quarter.

And he had about 6 or 7 other terrible spot calls throughout the game...

I realize they have spotters who tell them the down and distance after the play, and that guy deserves to be fired too because he is terrible as well, but Stockton screwed up plenty all on his own, lmao...

He needs to ride off into the sunset...

Anything is better than Joe Buck, Cris Collingsworth and Troy Aikman.

Stockton is getting old and makes plenty of mistakes, but there are much worse than him drawing much better assignments. I think Phil Simms and Aikman are both terrible, they add very little in the way of insight and are their respective network's top guys. Phil's struggles with pronunciation are ridiculous (thank god the Bingals can only play Dinver once per year.) Aikman appears borderline punch drunk often and doesn't appear to know much about the NFL outside of the NFC East & the Packers. Gruden's overwhelming praise got tired a decade ago.

I really enjoyed Bob Papa and Mayock in the early days of Thursday night football. I think Mayock is one of the best.

Imagine a concert by a great pianist, who hits a few wrong notes over the course of 3 or 4 hours. Do you remember the beautiful music, or the wrong notes? Probably both. Stockton is still a very good announcer, with a great voice and a sense of what to say and not to say. Much better in this regard than a lot of the CBS announcers the Bills games often get. Some mistakes, sure, and they stood out to me too. I don't hear his games that often to know if this is a trend or an aberration.

Damn, was going to say Stockton may be past his prime but at least he gets to go home to Lesley Visier..but looked it up and they divorced a few years back. Always thought he way outkicked his coverage on her...

I always thought she was meh. To each his own.

ya Stockton is bad but it seems like most of the Fox side of things try to push the NFC team. I watched the game again yesterday and the excitement of the Bucs TD's much different than Buffalo even early on when it was competitive and McCoy had some tremendous runs.

The announcers don't watch the Bills games, pretend to know the players than are exposed the more they talk. Phil Simms on CBS is brutal virtually no homework doing two games a week play inside the NFL little time for researching the team tries to free wheel it and sucks because of it. Nantz on the other hand how can you broadcast this game for 20+ years and still no nothing about it - it's shocking.

The overall quality of NFL announcing is atrocious.

I find this interesting, as I would think that is deemed a sexy job highly sought after by zillions of Bob Costas wannabes graduating from Syracuse and elsewhere each year...

Limited supply of jobs, tons of demand. The announcers should be fantastic.

But they are mostly horrible.

I think its time for Fox Play by Play man Dick Stockton to retire. He made some pretty egregious announcement errors today in the Bills game...among them:

1) Called 49ers coach Chip Kelly Jim Kelly.

2) Called Bills backup QB EJ Manuel Eli Manuel

3) Said the Bills had the biggest lead of the game with a 12 point margin when they were up 22.

4) Said the Bills lost 5 yards on a play when they actually gained a yard but started at 1st and 15 instead of 1st and 10 because of a 12 men in the huddle penalty to start the 3rd quarter.

And he had about 6 or 7 other terrible spot calls throughout the game...

I realize they have spotters who tell them the down and distance after the play, and that guy deserves to be fired too because he is terrible as well, but Stockton screwed up plenty all on his own, lmao...

He needs to ride off into the sunset...

Diehl was OK; keep in mind that he had to struggle through with an incompetent play by play guy. Stockton was beyond bad. Sad decline.