MMQB piece on Ryan and the Bills

I think Rex has second guessed himself ever since Brady threw for 466 against the Bills last year. Of course if you can get pressure with just four then go ahead and drop 7. But Rex needs to keep dialing up the blitzes. Good things happen more often than not when he brings pressure even against the great ones.

I think Rex has second guessed himself ever since Brady threw for 466 against the Bills last year. Of course if you can get pressure with just four then go ahead and drop 7. But Rex needs to keep dialing up the blitzes. Good things happen more often than not when he brings pressure even against the great ones.

I normally believe that, too. But our defense has played its best this year IMO when we didn't blitz, and when we rushed only three or four. Blitzes have not been our best defense. Hughes and Alexander rushing three or four has been our best defense, despite what myself and most fans want.

It is a good article and it is the point I made repeatedly in my critique of Rex in the offseason.

This team is built to win this way. The money is still slanted towards the defense and the coach is a defense first guy. Our D is supposed to win us games with the run game, good STs and a limited pass game as complimentary pieces.

Last year we didn't win this way enough. This year we have won 3 in a row this way.... let's keep it rolling.

Edited by GunnerBill

It is a good article and it is the point I made repeatedly in my critique of Rex in the offseason.

This team is built to win this way. The money is still slanted towards the defense and the coach is a defense first guy. Our D is supposed to win us games with the run game, good STs and a limited pass game as complimentary pieces.

Last year we didn't win this way enough. This year we have won 3 in a row this way.... let's keep it rolling.

I totally agree. This defense has really stepped up. We have the league leader in sacks and tackles and I think we are tied for third in give/takeaway. Our team is missing great players just like all the other teams, but we have still managed 3 W's in a row.

I am encouraged and you should be too. This team is playing well.

At the risk of subjecting myself to "when a reporter writes a nice story, we like him" criticism -- Benoit is very good. I think this is a fair piece and I love the not-so-subtle shot he takes at his own profession.

I normally believe that, too. But our defense has played its best this year IMO when we didn't blitz, and when we rushed only three or four. Blitzes have not been our best defense. Hughes and Alexander rushing three or four has been our best defense, despite what myself and most fans want.

I'd love to see the stats on this.

At the risk of subjecting myself to "when a reporter writes a nice story, we like him" criticism -- Benoit is very good. I think this is a fair piece and I love the not-so-subtle shot he takes at his own profession.

Agreed. Regardless that it is a postive-leaning article, it has the depth and insight into our team that is normally missing from the national media.

We dont even get insights like this from the crew at the Snooze:

Under Lynn, Taylor has changed. His numbers are actually down, but that paints an extremely misleading picture. There’s been a marked clarity in the way he’s worked through his progressions. Lynn, to his credit, is still keeping those progressions fairly straightforward. In fact, Taylor has praised the way there’s more focus on identifying matchups before the snap, as opposed to focusing so much on progressions after it.

well actually we were only soft vs. The Jets. And our corners were burned. Rex likes a healthy dose of blitzes mixed with artificial pressures.

well actually we were only soft vs. The Jets. And our corners were burned. Rex likes a healthy dose of blitzes mixed with artificial pressures.

It's also difficult to equate zone blitzes, which Ryan likes, with common blitzes when zone blitzes will often still rush four, and common blitzes will add rushers and make it 5-6.

Very good read, and he's right. This is how they're built to play. It's how Rex got the Jets to Back to Back AFC Championship games with Mark Sanchez at QB. Very same style. Keep TT's passes under 30, wear teams down by controlling the clock with a heavy dose of running, and let the defense seal the deal.

We can win with that formula, but TT still needs to up his passing game, and the WR's still have to be more productive.