Ugly Wins? Not that ugly.

scribo

Not getting overly excited about the past three games. As the players keep saying, "one game a time." Still, it is getting old hearing that they were fluke wins, ugly wins or close games that were just clawed out at the end. The margins of victory were 15, 16 and 11. Over those three games, the Bills trailed just seven minutes and nine seconds! The Bills now have the top redzone defensive in the league.

My fiancée has pointed this habit out to me.

I think we have been so conditioned to accept snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. In the Cardinals game we won by 15 so I kept thinking that somehow with Palmer they could get their quick-strike offense back into it.

Winning by 16 was still only two score game I kept expecting the Patriots to do the Patriots.

But this one is where the only reason it got as close as it did was we let them back into it. You are *supposed* to win Games where you have close to 200 yards rushing. When you win the turnover battle 3-0.

I guess some people fail to see that saying they won ugly ican be a positive statement as my post was meant to be. Too many times in the past the would not win that type of game against the Rams, but they did because good teams win those types of games. In the Pats game, it seemed as the teams reversed their roles, and the bounces went the Bills' way. Maybe, just maybe, the tide has turned in their favor. Let's hope it continues and the 5-2 Bills bring it to the Pats again to take first in the division. Let's hope.

Not getting overly excited about the past three games. As the players keep saying, "one game a time." Still, it is getting old hearing that they were fluke wins, ugly wins or close games that were just clawed out at the end. The margins of victory were 15, 16 and 11. Over those three games, the Bills trailed just seven minutes and nine seconds! The Bills now have the top redzone defensive in the league.

I agree. Bad teams lose a lot of close games. Good team win a bunch. We've lost our games by less than a TD but won our games by more than a TD. And we're winning the turnover battle - one stat that correlates highly with winning.

I get that the offense has not be dominant, that the passing game produces only sporadically. And I get the defense looks soft at times. But we deserve to be 3-2, and we deserved to beat the Rams.

A Double digit win over a 3-1 team on the road after traveling cross country while missing your best offensive and best defensive players is never ugly.

Thank you. Yolo is always the voice of reason. It feels some love to complain more after a win than a loss because it doesn't fit their narrative.

I think we are SO conditioned to seeing victory ripped out of our hands so many times over the past several years. I believe it started in the '99 playoff game against the Titans and has been repeated so many times. Examples: Stevie Johnson dropping a touchdown in the endzone against the Steelers because God didn't want him to catch it; Leodis giving the Patriots the ball and the victory; Ravens ripping the ball out when forward progress was stopped; that Dallas home game in Prime Time; etc. I'm sure there are more, but that's all I can think of at the moment.

I HOPE that our penchant for coming up short is finally turning around. Then, we as fans, can start to feel comfortable and expect to win games!! That's how it was in the early 90's. Every game was an expected win. Not one team scared us. Let's get back to that!!

The big test will be the Patriots re-match. I'm actually coming up to Buffalo for that game!!! First game I've seen since the Bronco's home game in 2008. Long time coming and will be my son's first Bills game!!!

The Bills now have the top redzone defensive in the league.

I was not thrilled when Rex hired his brother, Rob, this offseason. With a horrible defense in New Orleans, there was no reason to hire him other than nepotism, so I was grumbling about the hire. It's possible I was wrong.

Rob calls the plays in the Red Zone, while Thurman calls the plays between the 20's. I can't argue with the results as we are now leading the league in red zone defense (see link). I think that both Thurman and Rob Ryan are benefitting from more focus in their preparation to understanding the tendencies of opposing offences both inside and outside of the redzone. I also like that Rex has finally delegated the DC responsibilities so he can be responsible for the entire team as a head coach should.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opponent-red-zone-scoring-pct

So far, I have been wrong about Rob Ryan. For the moment, I am happy about this hire. The great thing about being a TBD poster is that I am free to fly off the handle and change my opinion any time I want. :rolleyes:

FP

Edited by Forward Progress

I was not thrilled when Rex hired his brother, Rob, this offseason. With a horrible defense in New Orleans, there was no reason to hire him other than nepotism, so I was grumbling about the hire. It's possible I was wrong.

Rob calls the plays in the Red Zone, while Thurman calls the plays between the 20's. I can't argue with the results as we are now leading the league in red zone defense (see link). I think that both Thurman and Rob Ryan are benefitting from more focus in their preparation to understanding the tendencies of opposing offences both inside and outside of the redzone. I also like that Rex has finally delegated the DC responsibilities so he can be responsible for the entire team as a head coach should.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opponent-red-zone-scoring-pct

So far, I have been wrong about Rob Ryan. For the moment, I am happy about this hire. The great thing about being a TBD poster is that I am free to fly off the handle and change my opinion any time I want. :rolleyes:

FP

he did have 12 men on the field yesterday, which is ridiculous, but I agree the guy is good at what he does.

Also, as we have seen this year, the Saints do not have anyone on that team who can play defense. Including Jarius Byrd, who embarrassed himself mulitple times on their monday night game.

It wasn't all Rob's fault like they made it seem. That's mostly on the GM

he did have 12 men on the field yesterday, which is ridiculous, but I agree the guy is good at what he does.

Also, as we have seen this year, the Saints do not have anyone on that team who can play defense. Including Jarius Byrd, who embarrassed himself mulitple times on their monday night game.

It wasn't all Rob's fault like they made it seem. That's mostly on the GM

As George Bush would say: Strategery.....

It's only a penalty if they actually count the number of players!

I also heard pundits calling this Rams game ugly. Our pass game was a bit underpar, but this was a thrilling win, complete with a stout running game, a decent pass rush, lights out run D and an acceptable pass D. Overall, with our injuries, on the road, I don't think this was ugly at all.

tqBGbwp.png

It was an ugly win.

Considering they only got that 6 play drive in the third quarter because the bozo from LA tackled Schmidt...

Yeah, it was ugly.

there is another team out on the field trying to stop us. Sometime they do. Do we need to score 40+ to make you happy. A road win against a 3-1 with a strong defense is a great win. If we lost the turnover battle, missed FG's, had stupid penalties and still won, then maybe ugly. This was beautiful in my mind.I love defensive TD's, love that we stopped a fake punt....

tqBGbwp.png

It was an ugly win.

Considering they only got that 6 play drive in the third quarter because the bozo from LA tackled Schmidt...

Yeah, it was ugly.

Agreed. No shame in calling it an ugly win too. But it was straight-up ugly.

But the offensive consistency was bad. There were drives where we had 1st and 5 too, and still went 3 and out.

The Bills are built to win games 'ugly,' and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Seriously, who believes the current Bills are going to beat teams by throwing for 350 yards a game?

I'm sorry, but no team is built to win only earning one first down on five out of six drives. That's the recipe that got Roman fired, it's the recipe that cost us the Ravens game and several games last year. That they pulled this one out is great, but it was fugly, and it's not how they wanted to win. I assure you.

there is another team out on the field trying to stop us. Sometime they do. Do we need to score 40+ to make you happy. A road win against a 3-1 with a strong defense is a great win. If we lost the turnover battle, missed FG's, had stupid penalties and still won, then maybe ugly. This was beautiful in my mind.I love defensive TD's, love that we stopped a fake punt....

Again, when your offense takes the field six times and on five of those only earns one first down, that's a problem. It's a major problem. I harped on it all last year and through the offseason. They HAVE to clean that **** up.

Agreed. No shame in calling it an ugly win too. But it was straight-up ugly.

But the offensive consistency was bad. There were drives where we had 1st and 5 too, and still went 3 and out.

Yeah, they had a bad run of drops, sacks, penalties and sailed passes. HAVE to execute better. Too many times they were behind the count of their own doing.

Yesterday's game was about as painful a win as they come.