Tyrod's development

Luxy312

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris Brown credits Anthony Lynn for telling Taylor to look at the D and throw to the best match up instead of going thru progression.

I was skeptical of Lynn, not anymore.

Be still my heart!

Looking at the D actually helps a QB make better decisions? Who knew?

Seriously, this issue has been one of my big concerns about TT's game. It was nice to see him actually SURVEY the defense before the snap yesterday. You're right, A Lynn has done some good things in his very short tenure and I'm hoping it was Roman keeping TT on a leash more than it was TT being clueless. Baby steps.

Be still my heart!

Seriously, this issue has been one of my big concerns about TT's game. It was nice to see him actually SURVEY the defense before the snap yesterday. You're right, A Lynn has done some good things in his very short tenure and I'm hoping it was Roman keeping TT on a leash more than it was TT being clueless. Baby steps.

He didn't have time to survey the defense with Roman very often getting the plays in late and with extra terminology. Edited by Kelly the Dog

He didn't have time to survey the defense with Roman very often getting the plays in late and with extra terminology.

Good point.

Now, I'd like to see TT make sure to take as much time off the clock as possible in 4th quarter game situations like yesterday. Too many snaps with 10 seconds or more on the play clock. I'm a stickler for the little things, what can I say.

To me, Tyrod is the quintessential one year wonder with little to no long-term viability. I don't think Tyrod's play is sustainable over the course of years. I sound like a broken record but I prefer a tall, strong, smart QB who can read Defenses, stand in the pocket and make all the throws, audible like a mad scientist and then deliver when the crunch time comes. Brady, Manning (both for that matter, but primarily Peyton), Brees, etc, and the good ones to great ones, can do just that: force your team to a win on their shoulders and stellar play. I don't see it in Tyrod, and mainly due to his inability to make the cerebral part of the game the most important part. Much like EJ, like his work ethic and attitude and desire, but for him the size and football acumen isn't where I'd want it to be for a long-term QB solution. I would run with Tyrod this year to see how far it gets them, and then pony up the Draft chips and take your QB of the future next year.

To me, Tyrod is the quintessential one year wonder with little to no long-term viability. I don't think Tyrod's play is sustainable over the course of years. I sound like a broken record but I prefer a tall, strong, smart QB who can read Defenses, stand in the pocket and make all the throws, audible like a mad scientist and then deliver when the crunch time comes. Brady, Manning (both for that matter, but primarily Peyton), Brees, etc, and the good ones to great ones, can do just that: force your team to a win on their shoulders and stellar play. I don't see it in Tyrod, and mainly due to his inability to make the cerebral part of the game the most important part. Much like EJ, like his work ethic and attitude and desire, but for him the size and football acumen isn't where I'd want it to be for a long-term QB solution. I would run with Tyrod this year to see how far it gets them, and then pony up the Draft chips and take your QB of the future next year.

mumble mumble mumble

Chris Brown credits Anthony Lynn for telling Taylor to look at the D and throw to the best match up instead of going thru progression.

Smart, common sense footballs all good QBs play...matchups are EVERYTHING in football

Since Lynn took charge, we haven't seen any "secret weapon" plays (Manuel). That's a good thing. I was very critical of the move at first, but to quote Fonzie, it looks like I might be proven https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkqgDoo_eZE. The tempo and pace have markedly improved since Lynn took charge. It makes a difference.

Edited by dave mcbride

You're right, because we've said the same thing so many times and had such tremendous success over the past 20 years drafting our QB of the future. Good call.

Be still my heart!

But he did this very same thing in Roman's last game and people torched him here for doing that.

On the one play people were posting here as an example of Tyrod not reading defenses (the one where the linebacker whiffed on clay and left him open over the middle), it was clear that the go to guy on the play was Goodwin. The coverage on Goodwin was ridiculously soft. So Tyrod throws Goodwin the ball and a bunch of the "experts" here said Tyrod is not reading defenses. The play was incomplete, but the decision to throw to Goodwin was the best decision based on the pre-snap alignment of the defense.

If you look at those other games, you can see he was also doing this in those games. It is not something new. And this is the very thing people were bitching about in those games.

Here it is..

giphy.gif

Honestly, is Tyrod Taylor's ceiling Alex Smith? Not a terrible thing at all because Smith has multiple playoff berths. But they are both slightly flawed guys who are a step below true elite Qbs.

Would you pay him big money if that is true?

yes

Your critique is incredibly eloquent, so I'm embarrassed to ask, but could you elaborate please?

Im sorry....its just after a win (actually 2 in a row) I really feel that chasing that unicorn and downplaying a good qb which we actually have on the roster is misplaced.

Is that eloquent enough for you? yesterday Tyrod did exactly what we needed to to win

Over 250 yards

No turnovers

Accurate

Converted 3rd downs

BB and the patriots defense would destroy any new shiny toy that you would like to give up multiple draft picks to get

yes

Im sorry....its just after a win (actually 2 in a row) I really feel that chasing that unicorn and downplaying a good qb which we actually have on the roster is misplaced.

Is that eloquent enough for you? yesterday Tyrod did exactly what we needed to to win

Over 250 yards

No turnovers

Accurate

Converted 3rd downs

BB and the patriots defense would destroy any new shiny toy that you would like to give up multiple draft picks to get

Yeah, I go back and forth. I definitely think we should draft a qb next year. I'm not sure if Taylor will ever be consistent enough. You can't struggle to pass for 150 yards in this league.

But yesterday was much better than the Jets game for him. We gotta start finishing drives though.

Honestly, is Tyrod Taylor's ceiling Alex Smith? Not a terrible thing at all because Smith has multiple playoff berths. But they are both slightly flawed guys who are a step below true elite Qbs.

Would you pay him big money if that is true?

That's such a tricky part of the conversation. What is a "solid" NFL starter worth? To date, it feels like anyone in that category is paid like the elite. I don't know the answer. Edited by Kirby Jackson

That's such a tricky part of the conversation. What is a "solid" NFL starter worth? To date, it feels like anyone in that category is paid like the elite. I don't know the answer.

Yeah, it definitely is. Like KC will be solid with Smith but they are so limited. Taylor has a cannon and is possibly the most mobile qb but we are a limited offense right now.

If he can string together performances like yesterday, he deserves another season. But if there are anymore performances like Ari or Balt, I don't think I make that commitment.

IMO if your QB can't go through progressions you don't have a QB.

To me that is extremely flawed approach.

Yeah, I go back and forth. I definitely think we should draft a qb next year. I'm not sure if Taylor will ever be consistent enough. You can't struggle to pass for 150 yards in this league.

But yesterday was much better than the Jets game for him. We gotta start finishing drives though.

I think drafting a QB every year is a good idea....I just dont think using your 1st or 2nd round pick is a good idea.

It is interesting that you talk about consistancy.....and then talk about 150 yards

- Nearly 300 yards against the jets, 3 TDS, 1 INT

- 256 yards against the pats, 1 TD

So in 2 of the FOUR games so far this season......over 200 yards passing and only 1 int.

Everyone would like to have a Tom Brady, a Ben R., etc etc

They dont grow on trees

IMO if your QB can't go through progressions you don't have a QB.

To me that is extremely flawed approach.

Your not listening to the whole conversation....as usual

But he did this very same thing in Roman's last game and people torched him here for doing that.

On the one play people were posting here as an example of Tyrod not reading defenses (the one where the linebacker whiffed on clay and left him open over the middle), it was clear that the go to guy on the play was Goodwin. The coverage on Goodwin was ridiculously soft. So Tyrod throws Goodwin the ball and a bunch of the "experts" here said Tyrod is not reading defenses. The play was incomplete, but the decision to throw to Goodwin was the best decision based on the pre-snap alignment of the defense.

If you look at those other games, you can see he was also doing this in those games. It is not something new. And this is the very thing people were bitching about in those games.

Here it is..

giphy.gif

We've already had this discussion and I don't wish to revisit it. Yesterday was TT's first game this season where he actually displayed the kind of command necessary to carry a team. How much of that is A Lynn or TT, I don't know. How much of it was Roman keeping TT on a short leash, I don't know. Regardless, TT took a step in the right direction yesterday.