• Yes - I was leaning Clinton but am now leaning Trump
    • Yes - I was leaning Clinton but am now leaning 3rd Party
    • Yes - I was leaning Trump but am now leaning 3rd Party
    • Yes - I was leaning 3rd Party but am now leaning Clinton
    • Yes - I was leaning 3rd Party but am now leaning Trump
    • No - I was leaning Clinton and still am
    • No - I was leaning Trump and still am
    • No - I was leaning 3rd Party and still am

I am voting for Trump but I don't think he did very well last night. IMO, he needs to relax and talk about how the status quo isn't working for a lot of Americans.

Whether it's deliberate or not, last night's debate was a mirror image of his performance in the first GOP debate.

That being said, I think the Democratic strategy is not a winning one. She spent the entire night trying to make Trump look terrible and it's all old news everyone has heard by now. Her best bet was to focus on a positive future, not him.

Lester Holt was bad. He was wrong on the stop and frisk "fact check" and he set Clinton up to get crucified over her shortcomings in future debates.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's afraid to go after her because he can't keep up.

Unless he plays below the belt, and of course Donald couldn't resist a round of self congratulations for holding back on indecent attacks. What a guy.

Trump couldn't keep up with Christie and Fiorina in the debates--he certainly can't keep up with Clinton's intellect. His only goal last night was to not hand over a massive soundbyte moment. Mission accomplished on that.

Hardly. This was his first real debate. He didn't fold like some predicted. He looked far more presidential than most thought he could be. And again, there are 2 more debates to hammer her on. She basically laid out everything she has last night and has nowhere else to go.

I am voting for Trump but I don't think he did very well last night. IMO, he needs to relax and talk about how the status quo isn't working for a lot of Americans.

Whether it's deliberate or not, last night's debate was a mirror image of his performance in the first GOP debate.

That being said, I think the Democratic strategy is not a winning one. She spent the entire night trying to make Trump look terrible and it's all old news everyone has heard by now. Her best bet was to focus on a positive future, not him.

Lester Holt was bad. He was wrong on the stop and frisk "fact check" and he set Clinton up to get crucified over her shortcomings in future debates.

I thought Holt did well. His marching orders were to stay out of the way and not overshadow the candidates. He did that perfectly and only called out some of the larger lies like "I was against the war"--which by the way is such a who-gives-a-f$#% issue at this point that Trump's handlers should tell him to stop talking about it. He's just too dumb to let it go.

Trump was awful in the Rep debates. He sat back and let the big boys and girl talk about serious matters and occasionally swooped in with one-liners. I'm surprised he did as well as he did last night. He's going to lose all 3 presidential debates from an objective perspective--it's just a matter of how well he holds up in each one. Last night, I thought he held up as well as he could.

Hardly. This was his first real debate. He didn't fold like some predicted. He looked far more presidential than most thought he could be. And again, there are 2 more debates to hammer her on. She basically laid out everything she has last night and has nowhere else to go.

Clinton won't waiver on her debate strategy. She will keep talking above his ability to engage. It's a smart tactic and at some point, Trump may have an Aleppo moment. If he does, she will flay him. That's his biggest challenge. If he has to go deep on one of these debates and stumbles, Clinton will be merciless.

So last night was a win for him. He avoided that moment.

"He looked far more presidential than most thought he could be" is hardly a ringing endorsement.

I'm surprised that so far 12 of 29 people here think that Trump won the debate.

I get it that a lot of people support Trump as the better candidate overall, but if you think Trump won that debate, that's some serious orange colored glasses and wishful thinking going on.

BIGLY!

Edited by Cugalabanza

I feel badly for Romney, truly. I voted for him, liked him, and this election he's replaced by Trump. What awful timing.

We don't know everything there is to know about any of these people but Romney got skewered for being some sort of evil demon. It can clearly be seen that he has done a lot of very charitable things in his life. It can clearly be seen that he is smart and articulate. I didn't agree with him on everything but have no doubt he was capable of the job. And I know he was treated unfairly.

I get it that a lot of people support Trump as the better candidate overall, but if you think Trump won that debate, that's some serious orange colored glasses and wishful thinking going on.

I loathe him far more than Hilary. We, i, know what Hilary is. I've heard trump for years on Stern. I still don't know what he is.

Trump won this because he made ground on his platform. Enhanced his beliefs. Offered actual substance to his rhetoric.

Clinton spoke in sound bites, preplannd humor that was not good save for one statement. She kept taking body shots on him that will likely pay off in 2 and 3. But, she did not advance herself. She did not originate anything except her URL and like her campaign thus far she has maintained the ho-hum just stick to the script and don't lose. She's playing prevent. Has been since the 1st quarter.

This will allow her to win easily come November.

Who won ?

We read what the beltway people think...................but here might where it counts.

How Trump won over a bar full of undecideds and Democrats

by Selena Zito

Original Article

BIGLY!

I'm one of those 12. He didn't do well. It wasn't a knock out performance and she was far more smooth, practiced.

However, she's the status quo candidate. She did not do a good job in telling anyone that the status quo should effectively keep "quoing." She lost because she didn't seize the opportunity to tell that story ahead of the future debates that are going to get mired in the foundation, her emails, her foreign affairs record. She had to talk about how it's morning in America and she did not. Get out ahead of what's coming.

Edited by dpberr

Trump won this because he made ground on his platform. Enhanced his beliefs. Offered actual substance to his rhetoric.

I don't really know what to say. If you saw those things happen, I can't argue. I guess you could say he did "enhance his beliefs" although I'm not really sure what that means or how you could demonstrate it or even why that would be a good thing.

Edited by Cugalabanza

PHILIP KLEIN: Three ways Hillary Clinton won the debate — and two reasons it might not matter.

My sense was that she did better than Trump, but not dramatically. Honestly, the bar was set so low that both cleared it: Trump didn’t throw anything, and she didn’t cough up blood. Happy 2016!

Does a debate draw go to the challenger?

Debate Wrap-Up: Media Bashing of Lauer Has Desired Effect as Lester Holt Lets His Bias Fly.

I feel badly for Romney, truly. I voted for him, liked him, and this election he's replaced by Trump. What awful timing.

Hillary Clinton has skated all this way on her shady acts and good timing. It is her history since she wasn't indicted because she happened to be first lady at the time.

Trump left a lot of openings untested. He couldn't keep his mouth shut with "that's business" and "wroooong". He was obviously the amateur up there.

I thought Holt did well. His marching orders were to stay out of the way and not overshadow the candidates. He did that perfectly and only called out some of the larger lies like "I was against the war"--which by the way is such a who-gives-a-f$#% issue at this point that Trump's handlers should tell him to stop talking about it. He's just too dumb to let it go.

Trump was awful in the Rep debates. He sat back and let the big boys and girl talk about serious matters and occasionally swooped in with one-liners. I'm surprised he did as well as he did last night. He's going to lose all 3 presidential debates from an objective perspective--it's just a matter of how well he holds up in each one. Last night, I thought he held up as well as he could.

Clinton won't waiver on her debate strategy. She will keep talking above his ability to engage. It's a smart tactic and at some point, Trump may have an Aleppo moment. If he does, she will flay him. That's his biggest challenge. If he has to go deep on one of these debates and stumbles, Clinton will be merciless.

So last night was a win for him. He avoided that moment.

"He looked far more presidential than most thought he could be" is hardly a ringing endorsement.

Sure it is. And again, Trump will have his chances to skewer her in the next 2 debates.

I'm reading this morning that they were never asked about Syria. Is that true?

Yup. Lots of other stuff as well. That will at least come in the last one when Chris Wallace is the moderator.

Sure it is. And again, Trump will have his chances to skewer her in the next 2 debates.

He's got to be really careful with that. At any moment, Clinton can turn to him and say, "Quick Donald: Who's the president of Syria, what is the branch of Islam most widely practiced in Iran, and is Afghanistan a democracy?"

His likely response in that moment will be

1- I'm not going to play your games,

2- I will hire the right people, believe me, who can answer those kinds of questions, or

3- How about we talk about Gennifer Flowers instead?

One thing you can count on is his inability to answer those questions and he will look like a dunderhead, even to his base. I'll be shocked if Hillary doesn't have that gun loaded at every debate and is just waiting to pull it out. Most candidates don't do the "pop quiz" because it can backfire against a skillful person but there's no way Trump can keep up with that. Every time he speaks about foreign policy, she should interject, "And the leader of that country is...? And the party in control of that area is...?"

Edited by Benjamin Franklin