NFL Television ratings

jaybee

Everything I watch, other than sports, is commercial free, via DVR..............And, then I listen to podcasts instead of the radio.

So, when I see or hear commercials, it's a little worse for me.............But, the NFL triples down and it seems that radio does, too. I don't know if radio is trying to make the most out of a dying industry, but it seems like they play more commercials than ever. Sometimes I get in the shower, after turning the radio on, and then I'm done, and realize I haven't heard one damn song.

MLB at least doubled commercial time during the postseason, but at least during the regular season, it's only a minute or so between innings.

Baseball has that nice between innings space that is perfect for commercials, plus bonus commercials when there is a pitcher change. For the most part, footballs are artificial which makes them painful. I watch Bills games DVR'd as well. Works out well usually to watch while eating dinner with the game taking 75 minutes ish. Just far too much deadtime otherwise for me, plus it kills the entire afternoon. Not sure what to do about Monday yet, but with the late start we'll probably watch it during Tuesday dinner. Doesn't look like that game will be a barn burner anyway.

Edited by CodeMonkey

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think eventually they will figure it out... But the NFL and/or NHL will adapt a model similar to soccer.

Put ads on the screen during play. It'll be somewhat subtle/within reason, but effective. Also line the "walls" with ads, and maybe even a couple on the field (maybe digital). Then condense the game to have minimal commercial interruptions. Fit the game into a 2-hour-ish window. They can have a 12PM, 2PM, 4PM, 6PM, and 9PM games time slotted every Sunday. More eyes on more games, while attending to shorter attention spans and the adaptation of people avoiding commercials. Along with the Monday night game(s) and a Thursday night game.... Everyone can tune into 7 or 8 games per week, getting to see all the important action, as well as regional. It would probably make their television packages much more 'portable"

I think eventually they will figure it out... But the NFL and/or NHL will adapt a model similar to soccer.

Put ads on the screen during play. It'll be somewhat subtle/within reason, but effective. Also line the "walls" with ads, and maybe even a couple on the field (maybe digital). Then condense the game to have minimal commercial interruptions. Fit the game into a 2-hour-ish window. They can have a 12PM, 2PM, 4PM, 6PM, and 9PM games time slotted every Sunday. More eyes on more games, while attending to shorter attention spans and the adaptation of people avoiding commercials. Along with the Monday night game(s) and a Thursday night game.... Everyone can tune into 7 or 8 games per week, getting to see all the important action, as well as regional. It would probably make their television packages much more 'portable"

But due to NFL rules you can only watch 3 or 4 games in your local market depending if your team is home or away unless you pay even more money than you already spend on the NFL to watch.

The NFL wont do anything until the people up top start losing money.

Digital ads on the field would be insufferable.

More games of a shorter duration spread among more time slots is a good idea.

I think it'd be tough to see ads on "the wall" in a football arena. Too far out of the picture most of the time.

Watching a soccer game is the complete opposite of football. Each 45 minute half is completely undisturbed and a total immersion into the game.

Watching an NFL game is like watching a 3+ hour commercial briefly interrupted at times by a football game.

I think it'd be tough to see ads on "the wall" in a football arena. Too far out of the picture most of the time.

Watching a soccer game is the complete opposite of football. Each 45 minute half is completely undisturbed and a total immersion into the game.

Watching an NFL game is like watching a 3+ hour commercial briefly interrupted at times by a football game.

Sooooo true and well put. Watch one DVRd with no commercials some time. It is a very different experience.

I think College football is already doing digital ads on the field. Watch Alabama/LSU this week, adn you'll see "New York Life" like it's painted on teh field, but I can tell you with 100% certainty that there aint no New York nothing on the field at Bryant Denny Stadium. It's not actually that intrusive because it looks like it's painted on the field. I mean, I'd prefer a little more of that if we could get rid of some of the commercials. Because of the decreasing quality of the product, and the general over-lawyered officiating that NFL games have become, they arent getting 3.5 hours out of me any more.

Too bad it's a bunch of guys kicking the ball around in the middle of the field.

Perception and how much you understand about a sport. Tackle football is largely seen around the world as big guys in pads on a field running into and trying to hurt each other.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I think College football is already doing digital ads on the field. Watch Alabama/LSU this week, adn you'll see "New York Life" like it's painted on teh field, but I can tell you with 100% certainty that there aint no New York nothing on the field at Bryant Denny Stadium. It's not actually that intrusive because it looks like it's painted on the field. I mean, I'd prefer a little more of that if we could get rid of some of the commercials. Because of the decreasing quality of the product, and the general over-lawyered officiating that NFL games have become, they arent getting 3.5 hours out of me any more.

The problem is, the NFL wouldn't use this in place of the current commercials, they would use them in addition to the current ads.

I agree. A lot of the luster/mystery of the NFL is gone due to the Patriots. People scoff at this, but the fact is there is a very shady pattern of cheating and unsavory methods there too. It does exist and to many it brings the results into question.

If the Bills were in any other Division, seasons would be much more fun and interesting later into the year. The fact that they have little to no margin for error every season stinks. One slip up and no chance to catch the Patriots by the end of October. Then you have to look at the Wild Card, which is 2 spots between 12 teams.... as opposed to 1 in 4, which most teams have to contend with.... in a more evenly matched Division with a team who doesn't systematically cheat.

This has been going on for an eternity too. The Bills "glory years" seemed to be so long, but in reality it lasted 8 years (88-95) That includes a non playoff season and 2 Wild Cards. This is already year 16. They only missed 1st place 2 times and finished in 2nd place... and one of those seasons was 11-5, and the other 9-7.

It is bad sauce as a fan of a team in the AFC East and I find myself tuning out earlier and earlier every season.

I have said as much in the past, but I am pretty 'bored' with the NFL's alignment regardless. They have had the same format for 15 years now which is an eternity for any sport. I am really sick of not only the Patriots, but I am sick of the Jets and Dolphins as well. I am sick of 8 4-team Divisions where it is not equitable for playoff qualification.

Couldn't agree more, well said.

Aren't ESPN's subscriber numbers trending downward anyway - cable/dish cord-cutters? Maybe that's having an effect?

hopefully. And hopefully this makes the NFL provide it's product on it's own platform. I'd cut the cord if I could get live sports w/o cable.

Sooooo true and well put. Watch one DVRd with no commercials some time. It is a very different experience.

Lately I've been DVR'ing the Bills game. This is the way for me from now on. Do some fall clean-up outside the house and come inside around 2:30 to start watching the game. Typically I catch up to real-time near 4 PM for a 1 PM game. Fast-forward through numerous commercials, injury timeouts, play reviews, halftime, useless interviews, etc. Commercial breaks look to be about 2 minutes each with a network show promo clueing me in that we'll be returning to the game each time. Do the same for Hockey where the commercial breaks are 1 1/2 minutes and I believe 17 minutes between periods.

I still don't understand how soccer makes so much money on just that walls with ads.

I love it. Go baseball is right!

Lately I've been DVR'ing the Bills game. This is the way for me from now on. Do some fall clean-up outside the house and come inside around 2:30 to start watching the game. Typically I catch up to real-time near 4 PM for a 1 PM game. Fast-forward through numerous commercials, injury timeouts, play reviews, halftime, useless interviews, etc. Commercial breaks look to be about 2 minutes each with a network show promo clueing me in that we'll be returning to the game each time. Do the same for Hockey where the commercial breaks are 1 1/2 minutes and I believe 17 minutes between periods.

the original Tivo box for directv was great for this because for each bump of the fast forward button, it would jump 30 seconds. hit it 4 times, and back to the game