Mike Gillislee - What do we have here?

fridge

On Thursday, Tyrod Taylor threw his easiest touchdown of the night in "garbage time." A little 4 yard dump off that turned into a 17 yard TD scamper by Mike Gillislee:

I thought the touchdown was very impressive. The Jets were still essentially running a prevent defense, but there were two defenders in the high flats and a safety to beat. They all had good position and he just split the first grouping of defenders and bulldozed the safety. I thought it was a fantastic example of having a nose for the end zone.

Last season, in very limited play time, Gillislee had a 50-yard TD run and a 60-yard TD run. In 47 carries, he averaged 5.7 yards per rush and scored a respectable 3 touchdowns. This season he has zero carries after two games. Gillislee passes both the eye test and the stat test (with albeit a small sample size), and so I ask you...what do we have here?

Should Gillislee spell McCoy more often? Is he a hidden gem capable of being a much cheaper full-time starter should the team move on from McCoy after this year?

Great post, been thinking about this and feel Gilislee is a hidden gem. I don't even think it's too much of a stretch to think he could be a better fit than Shady for our style of offense. The guy hits the hole hard and runs north/south. Shady will take a 3-4 yard loss instead of taking the 2-3 yard gain, and our offense isn't built for 2nd/3rd and long. The negative runs are drive killers. Not sure how Shady's contract is structured, but I do know the money we are paying him could be better spent elsewhere.

we havent been running enough plays to utilize anyone. there are several guys higher on the food chain needing to be fed before you start giving him more than basic limited touches.

He has 0 carries, 2 catches, 1 touchdown.

No one has made the most of their chances, but he has. Maybe bump him up the food chain a little?

Great post, been thinking about this and feel Gilislee is a hidden gem. I don't even think it's too much of a stretch to think he could be a better fit than Shady for our style of offense. The guy hits the hole hard and runs north/south. Shady will take a 3-4 yard loss instead of taking the 2-3 yard gain, and our offense isn't built for 2nd/3rd and long. The negative runs are drive killers. Not sure how Shady's contract is structured, but I do know the money we are paying him could be better spent elsewhere.

Well said. His running style seems to be the type that just takes what he's given. I'd like to see him used as a change of pace back and I think he'd e great in the red zone.

What you have is a hungrier player than McCoy. Trade Shady while he still has some value. He's not going to make the difference in whether the Bills make the playoffs this year or not. Gillislee is more than adequate and has actually shown better than McCoy at times.

On Thursday, Tyrod Taylor threw his easiest touchdown of the night in "garbage time." A little 4 yard dump off that turned into a 17 yard TD scamper by Mike Gillislee:

I thought the touchdown was very impressive. The Jets were still essentially running a prevent defense, but there were two defenders in the high flats and a safety to beat. They all had good position and he just split the first grouping of defenders and bulldozed the safety. I thought it was a fantastic example of having a nose for the end zone.

Last season, in very limited play time, Gillislee had a 50-yard TD run and a 60-yard TD run. In 47 carries, he averaged 5.7 yards per rush and scored a respectable 3 touchdowns. This season he has zero carries after two games. Gillislee passes both the eye test and the stat test (with albeit a small sample size), and so I ask you...what do we have here?

Should Gillislee spell McCoy more often? Is he a hidden gem capable of being a much cheaper full-time starter should the team move on from McCoy after this year?

I don't know about "move on from McCoy", but IMO the Bills stand in desperate need of a power run game right now and McCoy is Not That Guy.

They need someone who can make 3-4 yards out of nothing to help move the chains the way FredEx in his prime used to.

Dammit, I'm "Hopeful" that between Gillislee and J Williams, they have that guy. When will I learn?

He has 0 carries, 2 catches, 1 touchdown.

No one has made the most of their chances, but he has. Maybe bump him up the food chain a little?

when you talk about backs being a dime a dozen, its guys like him that you are referring to. there are a lot of the decent enough guys that can be semi-productive. i dont say that as a big knock on him.... but hes a depth role player, and we arent getting Sammy, Clay, Mccoy, etc... enough touches. you dont take from those guys to feed a gillislee. hes the proverbial hogan, salas, etc... but of the backfield. nice to have but you dont lean on him to win.

when you talk about backs being a dime a dozen, its guys like him that you are referring to. there are a lot of the decent enough guys that can be semi-productive. i dont say that as a big knock on him.... but hes a depth role player, and we arent getting Sammy, Clay, Mccoy, etc... enough touches. you dont take from those guys to feed a gillislee. hes the proverbial hogan, salas, etc... but of the backfield. nice to have but you dont lean on him to win.

I disagree. I think Touchdown Mike is better than that. When I think of dime a dozen backs, I think of guys like Boom Heron or Johnnie White. Those guys never have or ever will in their wildest dreams run 50+ once much less twice in 5 games.

I disagree. I think Touchdown Mike is better than that. When I think of dime a dozen backs, I think of guys like Boom Heron or Johnnie White. Those guys never have or ever will in their wildest dreams run 50+ once much less twice in 5 games.

you do realize boom has a 50 yard td in his limited carries, right? and is maaaaaybe on the low end of what that statement means.

and that johnnie white wasnt an nfl player, honestly. hes absolutely not what people mean with that statement.

One of the earlier posts hit the nail on the head - we don't run enough plays for our guys to get touches. When you go three and out on 80% of your drives and your scoring drives consist of long bombs to the WR (not a bad thing, mind you), there are not enough opportunities to get the ball into anyone's hands, let alone your 2nd string RB. I like Gillislee and think he has talent and potential, but we need some sustained drives in order to get him some touches. And yes, while I love the phrase "We've got Bush!" Reggie seems like a complete waste of money. Gillislee is the superior RB and Tate is returning kicks (and Powell can too). Why do we need to take up $3M of cap space for a player who has no value?

One of the earlier posts hit the nail on the head - we don't run enough plays for our guys to get touches. When you go three and out on 80% of your drives and your scoring drives consist of long bombs to the WR (not a bad thing, mind you), there are not enough opportunities to get the ball into anyone's hands, let alone your 2nd string RB. I like Gillislee and think he has talent and potential, but we need some sustained drives in order to get him some touches. And yes, while I love the phrase "We've got Bush!" Reggie seems like a complete waste of money. Gillislee is the superior RB and Tate is returning kicks (and Powell can too). Why do we need to take up $3M of cap space for a player who has no value?

The simple counter argument to that is if McCoy isn't helping sustain drives why not give the back up a chance? If Mike G. can give the running game a lift then the whole team will benefit, even Shady.

I honestly think Mike Gillislee might be the best RB at running the ball on our roster. He fits the man blocking scheme we have because he gets down hill immediately. He runs the ball similar to Fred Jackson (upright with great footwork and wiggle to avoid being tackled) but he has great breakaway speed. Honestly, I would start Gillislee and bring McCoy in on passing downs. Gillislee needs at least 15-20 touches per game IMO. I think he has been criminally underutilized at this point in our season.

I honestly think Mike Gillislee might be the best RB at running the ball on our roster. He fits the man blocking scheme we have because he gets down hill immediately. He runs the ball similar to Fred Jackson (upright with great footwork and wiggle to avoid being tackled) but he has great breakaway speed. Honestly, I would start Gillislee and bring McCoy in on passing downs. Gillislee needs at least 15-20 touches per game IMO. I think he has been criminally underutilized at this point in our season.

I think he has some similarities to Fred's style. He's very balanced and seems to get that extra yard easily. As someone mentioned earlier, he's simply hungrier than McCoy is right now. McCoy is definitely more talented, but I'd like to see them both get some action in the games.

we havent been running enough plays to utilize anyone. there are several guys higher on the food chain needing to be fed before you start giving him more than basic limited touches.

And who would those higher on the food chain guys be? McCoy, except with teams playing to stuff the run and dare us to pass, we need a power runner who can smashmouth through and that's not McCoy. Who else as a runner?

Run Gillislee or J Williams, move the chains, hopefully open up some passing and then McCoy should be able to feast.