Here is the question.

MAJBobby

So first decision has been made to try and help our embattled QB. Everyone should understand the decision to fire Roman has everything to do with 2 financial decisions the Bills have coming up. First, To pay Taylor 27M next year and Second, to pick up Sammy's 5th year option in April.

So Bills fans here is the questions.

If season ended today would you pick up Taylors option Yes or No and Why?

If No what do you need to see from him to change your opinion going forward?

I likely will ask these same questions around mid season as well.

So I will start.

No I would not pick up his option, because there hasnt been a hint of progression in the areas he lacked all last year.

Anticipation throws. What I mean by that is if Sammy has a dig and your read is to throw that Dig that ball should be out before player comes out of his break and to a window, not waiting for the player to come out of break and see if it is open, then it is too late. The CB has time to recover.

2. Usage of the middle of the field. He has made any route in the middle of the field absolutely useless. That includes essentially turning our duel threat TE into a 7M a year blocking TE.

3. To a lesser extent (because i cannot put all the blame on him yet) presnap reads. Reason i cannot put all the blame on him about this yet because i dont know what Roman said he can and cant do at the line.

4. Needs to fix the new problem that popped up his short route accuracy. He seems he is trying to aim these routes. The problem with a short route is they are specifically for YAC, well cant get that with inaccurate passss. Defense gets time to react and recover

5. Ghost pressure. Over past two weeks Taylor has been reacting to alot of ghost pressure instead of hanging in there and delivering the ball.

Now the areas he needs to improve on before i am handing him a 27M check are the 1st two. I can handle the ghost pressure (all QBs see it sometimes) and the short pass inaccuracy right now because those are out of the norm for him.

Also giving him a pass on 3 right now because i can only think that was part of the reason Roman was fired. However will be watching this closely next couple weeks because this may turn into a must fix as well because this issue was present last year as well.

So there you have it what I see Taylor needs to improve on to earn his 27M and wheh i say improve i mean alot at this point because all offseason that is all i read out of the OBD spin machine is how these areas are no longer an issue.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great post. I have blamed Roman since day one and hope I'm right. Watkins was picked fourth overall to be a star and Roman did everything he could to stifle it. The creativity and pass game s abysmal. Yards after catch is non-existant and timing patterns seldom. Watkins made an inordinate amount of catches solely on skill not easy passes.

Watching teams and receivers run open and then watching the Bills is tough.

Here's to better days.

If tyrod plays like last year (which i dont think is THAT different than this year).... we likely finish middle of the pack.

I think i am still tempted to pick it up and think of it as 2 years at 20m per and if he steps up, great, if not -- your only marginally overpaying compared to other questionable vet starters. that said, id want to see health and that he could at least be counted on to be on the field as a floor, and hope that he gets a bit better. whoever we draft in the teens is a project anyway -- so no need to rush that guy.

Sammy seems an obvious option to pick up though

Edited by NoSaint

If season ended today would you pick up Taylor's option Yes or No and Why?

I'd have to know the reason there was only a two game season this year. Was it global warming? Spaced Invaders? Baine? Obama!?!

A two game season wouldn't give me enough confidence that there would be full 16 game season next year, so I might not pick up anyone's contracts...

I'd have to know the reason there was only a two game season this year. Was it global warming? Spaced Invaders? Baine? Obama!?!

A two game season wouldn't give me enough confidence that there would be full 16 game season next year, so I might not pick up anyone's contracts...

Nice contribution

If tyrod plays like last year (which i dont think is THAT different than this year).... we likely finish middle of the pack.

I think i am still tempted to pick it up and think of it as 2 years at 20m per and if he steps up, great, if not -- your only marginally overpaying compared to other questionable vet starters. that said, id want to see health and that he could at least be counted on to be on the field as a floor, and hope that he gets a bit better. whoever we draft in the teens is a project anyway -- so no need to rush that guy.

I think your guess that we draft in the teens is way optimistic. We're going to have a worse record than that.

But we'll find out soon enough.

I think your guess that we draft in the teens is way optimistic. We're going to have a worse record than that.

But we'll find out soon enough.

if he plays like last year and sammy stays healthy, teens vs late in the top ten isnt big. if you arent 1-2, you arent getting a plug and play guy.

if we are in that top 2 spot, then sure, let him go and roll with a rookie

Great post. I have blamed Roman since day one and hope I'm right. Watkins was picked fourth overall to be a star and Roman did everything he could to stifle it. The creativity and pass game s abysmal. Yards after catch is non-existant and timing patterns seldom. Watkins made an inordinate amount of catches solely on skill not easy passes.

Watching teams and receivers run open and then watching the Bills is tough.

Here's to better days.

Solomon Wilcotts had pointed out in Game 1 that all of the patterns the Bills were running were stop patterns, none to hit the receiver in stride. That makes them easier to defend and tackle the receiver.

And No on picking up Taylor's option.

A little unrealistic to make the decision now. If TT is just ok would not make sense to pay that much for ok QB play. Jones is the wild card factor, if TT is just ok and Jones progress well thing could change.

Why is it hard to make that decision right now. He has 16 games under his belt as a starter. That is enough work to have an opinion of the guy one way or another.

I don't think it's fair to consider picking up or not picking up TT's option- but a definite YES for picking up Sammy's... Sammy's 5th year option is reasonable... TT's could cost the club up to 30 mil over the next two years if he isn't the answer... I think these are very fair questions to ask at seasons end, but I don't see why anybody wouldn't want to pick up Sammy's option though, even if it's a bandaid at the position for one year... Hard to replace your starting QB and WR in one offseason/draft

whoever we draft in the teens is a project anyway -- so no need to rush that guy.

You are generous. I don't see us as a middle of the pack team unless this move with Roman pays off and Shaq and Marcell bring something to the table. Teams are on to TT and I am not sure if he will step up or not.

I honestly don't think I would pay TT and I'd guess we are in the top 7; I would move up and grab the best QB available (if I necessary). He will have Sammy (yes pick up his option), Clay and spend TT's money on a good WR#2, resign Woods and O/DL depth...

Edited by Reed83HOF

Solomon Wilcotts had pointed out in Game 1 that all of the patterns the Bills were running were stop patterns, none to hit the receiver in stride. That makes them easier to defend and tackle the receiver.

And No on picking up Taylor's option.

THIS!

With the joy of having Sunday Ticket, I get to see a lot of football. Glaring example I take from most games is the quarterback on other teams will stand their ground and make the throw, even knowing they're about to get hit hard. Several times I saw Dalton, Bradford, Eli, etc. hold onto the ball and release it to a wide open receiver or tight end a split second before getting hammered. Completion - move the chains. Our quarterback does not do this; he looks for the escape. Difference between this year and last: He would run after the pocket collapsed. This year, he's staying back trying to make the throw. Admirable, but still the same result - 3 and out.

So, at this point, I would not pay him. As many have mentioned in the "Suck for Chad Kelly" (LOL!! - it's really silly I know!) thread, next year's draft has a lot of good quarterbacks. Plus, I also like Cardale. I like his attitude. Polish him up and he could be dangerous! He has an infectious winning attitude (kind like Flutie). He just wants to win.

Right back at ya!

It's kinda like asking "OK, you watched the text pre-amble to Star Wars, would you pay $1,000 to watch the movie again?"

16 games from this QB. That is more than enough time to form an opinion on him.

Bill Walsh used to say you know what you have after 16 to 22 games

Edited by MAJBobby

Kinda tough to answer either question at this point for me.

Should Sammy continue to be injured more often than not, I'd be looking to trade him.

If the Bills end up being as bad as they look right now in being 22nd on defense and 29th on offense. I gotta think the whole thing gets trash canned with the Bills having the 6th overall pick and with that 6th pick they tab a QB.