Make Polian an Offer He Can't Refuse

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Injuries, suspensions and softpedaling through preseason cost us the Balt game and probably the Jets game, although they are a very good team.

The sky isn't falling, and Whaley has shown to be a pretty good GM. The mentality that there is always an outside guy to come in and fix everything is the same kind of thinking that put Chan and Fitz on the other side of the field from us Thursday. They are a playoff team because of those two ex Bills.

GM is not the problem. Any organization in the NFL would love to have Gilmore and Darby as cb #1 #2, they just had an off night and their OC was superior to ours.

It's not a stupid idea when you have a team president who has so much power and influence over the team that is not a football man. The problem is that as long as Brandon is part of the org chart on the football side, that no GM the Bills hire will ever have the control he needs to build the team his way. Doug Whaley didn't even get the chance to pick his own head coach because someone put the idea into these new owners heads that they were NFL football smart enough to do it themselves.

I gotta tell you that the Pegula's are already starting down a slippery slope that kept a lot of quality coaches from coming to Buffalo because of the late owners meddling with the team. Meeting with the players and deciding to make changes based on what they and the GM say is already starting to make people rethink! They really need to step away from the football side if they ever want to win in the NFL.

Bill Belichick is the man who makes all the calls on who the Patriots draft and who the team hires on the football side so If your really going to hire a man to run the entire football side of the Org I'd start with a very experienced GM that knows talent. Ted Thompson current GM of the Packers comes to mind. That is if he would take the job as team president of football operations for the Buffalo Bills.

Again, its not that hard. Hire the guy who has the same philosophy on building an organization that you do. The Pegula's have built a very successful business. What qualities are important to them as leaders? You just hire the guy that best fits it. You shouldn't have anyone else making that decision for you.

Caserio has been at the top of the Patriots football operations department for almost a decade. He has a very, very loud say in the room on any and all personnel decisions. He just happens to be a guy that lays in the background. They pay him and treat him as a GM which is basically the same relationship that the Steelers had with Kevin Colbert for a decade plus. You may not be able to get him but the right offer and title may be able to lure him from New England.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

There were reports that the Pegulas wanted to hire Bill Polian as a football czar, but he apparently wasn't interested. I think part of the reason he wasn't interested is because he didn't want to have to do the dirty work of firing Whaley and the rest of the scouting department.

When the season ends fire Whaley and Rex. Give Bill Polian a monetary offer he can't refuse. Say 5 years $50 million. The Pegulas have been throwing money at players and coaches to no result. Do the smart thing and put your money on someone who is proven.

Bill Polian knows how to set up a successful structure to a football team. He has done it 3 times with some historic results. I don't care if he displays complete nepotism and hires his son as GM. The Bills are dysfunctional and need a total rebuild. They need someone with experience and knowledge to come in and set them up for the future. Also someone to school the Pegulas on how to have sustained success in the NFL.

Make Bill Polian a very rich man and sell him on coming back to Buffalo to help complete the job he started.

This is, conceptually, undoubtedly what will happen, probably at the end of this season.

It won't involve Bill Polian though.

But your concept is sound and Pegula has already followed this path with the Sabres.

Again, its not that hard. Hire the guy who has the same philosophy on building an organization that you do. The Pegula's have built a very successful business. What qualities are important to them as leaders? You just hire the guy that best fits it. You shouldn't have anyone else making that decision for you.

Caserio has been at the top of the Patriots football operations department for almost a decade. He has a very, very loud say in the room on any and all personnel decisions. He just happens to be a guy that lays in the background. They pay him and treat him as a GM which is basically the same relationship that the Steelers had with Kevin Colbert for a decade plus. You may not be able to get him but the right offer and title may be able to lure him from New England.

The Peg's might have made billions in the oil and gas industry and ironically fracking is no longer allowed in NYS. It's well known that just because people are successful in one area of business that doesn't always equate to being successful in running the football side of a team in the NFL, especially later on in life.

I really don't know of any NFL owners that were successful meddling except perhaps Al Davis who had a long history from being involved from football right out of college as the man did everything there is to do in pro and college football from being a scout, an assistant coach to head coach, to GM and owner. The late Bills owner Ralph Wilson was exceedingly lucky to hire a winning HC in Chuck Knox and because of that hire the team went on to hire Bill Polian, John Butler who were all by-products of the Knox hire. After John Butler, the team went back into mediocrity and losing with the owner as team president.

Just know that Bill Belichick makes every football player personnel decision and football hiring the decision for the entire team. I'd rather see the Bills hire someone that has actual accountability in making the football decisions. Also, they need to hire someone that won't be influenced by the owners or anyone else in the FO. Also, I don't know that I'd trust anyone I hired away from the Patriots. But, that's me.

I think the football czar is one of the stupidest ideas ever. How come every other team has a GM and we need a czar? If you don't like the job that Whaley's doing fire him and hire someone else. Let them make the coaching hires. It's really not that complicated. That guy should 1,000% not be Bill Polian.

I'll throw Nick Caserio out there if you're looking for a guy.

:)

The Czar will be 7' tall I'm told, and possess all sorts of mystical knowledge. He'll hypnotize you with his crazy eyes and dance better than Baryshnikov. He's the only one that can defeat Russ Brandon in a staring contest. It has been foretold.

I know you hate the word 'czar', but essentially, its a semantic thing. Caserio can fill that role as well as GM. I would be in full support of his hiring, as long as the organization provided the reins to him in totality and he is basically a Donahoe (TBH that's probably the only way he accepts the position).

I would be all for that, especially if he likes and brings in Josh McDaniels.

Edited by May Day 10

The Peg's might have made billions in the oil and gas industry and ironically fracking is no longer allowed in NYS. It's well known that just because people are successful in one area of business that doesn't always equate to being successful in running the football side of a team in the NFL, especially later on in life.

I really don't know of any NFL owners that were successful meddling except perhaps Al Davis who had a long history from being involved from football right out of college as the man did everything there is to do in pro and college football from being a scout, an assistant coach to head coach, to GM and owner. The late Bills owner Ralph Wilson was exceedingly lucky to hire a winning HC in Chuck Knox and because of that hire the team went on to hire Bill Polian, John Butler who were all by-products of the Knox hire. After John Butler, the team went back into mediocrity and losing with the owner as team president.

Just know that Bill Belichick makes every football player personnel decision and football hiring the decision for the entire team. I'd rather see the Bills hire someone that has actual accountability in making the football decisions. Also, they need to hire someone that won't be influenced by the owners or anyone else in the FO. Also, I don't know that I'd trust anyone I hired away from the Patriots. But, that's me.

This isn't necessarily true (I know that to be a fact). He is accountable for everything but Caserio and company have continuously brought in the guys to fit the system. They are a machine. The pieces work together perfectly.

I am with you that I don't want a meddling owner. They are already too involved for my liking. They do need to make this hire though. They need to find the guy that fits their values and empower him to do the job. You can't hire someone to hire someone to run the football operations. You don't need the extra step.

From the little that I know about the Pegula's it seems like they are player-centric owners. They worry about things like the facilities and the player's families. That would tell me that they need to hire someone that is more of a people person than a process person. That to me may say that someone from the Patriots isn't the perfect fit. Maybe someone from Pittsburgh (ironically) or GB which are more people focused organizations would be a better fit. They understand that this has to be a safe hire, so they cant hire the guy with a high ceiling and a low floor. The next GM has to have a solid resume already and come from a winning culture. This isn't the place to swing for the fences. Just following these basic philosophical steps you are already identifying your candidates. Elliot Wolfe maybe?

I know you hate the word 'czar', but essentially, its a semantic thing. Caserio can fill that role as well as GM. I would be in full support of his hiring, as long as the organization provided the reins to him in totality and he is basically a Donahoe (TBH that's probably the only way he accepts the position).

Me too, McDaniels is my guy.

As I started thinking it through above the Patriots way of doing things though is a lot different than the Pegula's from what I have seen. They look at the process and the people as pieces. The Pegula's are very much about people.

Me too, McDaniels is my guy.

As I started thinking it through above the Patriots way of doing things though is a lot different than the Pegula's from what I have seen. They look at the process and the people as pieces. The Pegula's are very much about people.

They kind of went through this with the sabres though.

Darcy Regier's biggest flaw is he is a bleeding heart. He loathes trading players and thinks deeply into the human aspect of uprooting individuals and families. It is speculated he quit the Coyotes due to the John Scott treatment (good for him).

Now you have Tim Murray, who basically refers to players only by their last name at the draft, trading guys as he sees fit. The Pegulas still have their dignitary/human role. Evander Kane and his parents were floored that his first day in town, the owners met with them... i guess he had more face time with ownership here in one day than years in ATL/WIN. There is another anecdote of a player brought in a couple years ago, and the Pegulas basically loaned his family a Pegula family car to use indefinitely while they got acclimated.

You look at the Patriots/Garappolo and it does not look good for the AFC East. We cant just wait for Brady's clock to run out. The best hope is to build an organization to emulate/compete with the Patriots and this would be the way. Their philosophy of personnel, preparation, and over-professionalism is dead-on.

Edited by May Day 10

Meh so I will say this - I really don't want anyone from the Pats* coming here. Can we hire Brian Cox as DC? Tom Brady as OC or any other a$shole we hate as fans?

Meh so I will say this - I really don't want anyone from the Pats* coming here. Can we hire Brian Cox as DC? Tom Brady as OC or any other a$shole we hate as fans?

I dont even care. I just want to attend meaningful and exciting football games that go late into the season. Its getting on towards two decades. I know several (many?) Bills fans who have died during this drought.

The Pegulas need someone other than Brandon to hire the GM for them, hence a football czar/consultant.

Brandon needs to stick to what he does best. Marketing one of the easiest products in the world to market. My cat and rabbit could market the Bills.