Make Polian an Offer He Can't Refuse

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

So we don't trust our owners to hire a general manager?!? I'm sorry but it isn't that complicated. Hire a GM that looks at building an organization like you do and empower him. He in turn, will hire a staff that ALSO is in alignment with your vision.

I can't for the life of me figure out why you would want to outsource the hiring of your most important person, the guy in charge of football operations. That has to be a decision that the Pegula's make, not Polian or anyone else.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bob kraft was a huge football fan and a patriots season ticket holder back to the afl days.

And essentially his czar was bb anyways. Was allowed to become the sheriff and rebuild a stagnant franchise. Kraft handed him the keys to the car and goes along for the ride, holding up lombardis.

So we don't trust our owners to hire a general manager?!? I'm sorry but it isn't that complicated. Hire a GM that looks at building an organization like you do and empower him. He in turn, will hire a staff that ALSO is in alignment with your vision.

I can't for the life of me figure out why you would want to outsource the hiring of your most important person, the guy in charge of football operations. That has to be a decision that the Pegula's make, not Polian or anyone else.

Live and die by your own philosophies. You're the owners, nobody can sack you. You're also in a revenue sharing, relegation-free league. The only consequence of getting it wrong is losing.

It's just this simple.

Bob kraft was a huge football fan and a patriots season ticket holder back to the afl days.

And essentially his czar was bb anyways. Was allowed to become the sheriff and rebuild a stagnant franchise. Kraft handed him the keys to the car and goes along for the ride, holding up lombardis.

Exactly the point, he hired the guy and let him do his job.

Again, if we can come up with the list of candidates the owners of an NFL certainly can. You cannot have someone else make such an important hire or even influence the decision. The Pegula's have to do it like everyone else does if they are going to part ways with Whaley. Interview the candidates and hire the best one.

Exactly the point, he hired the guy and let him do his job.

Again, if we can come up with the list of candidates the owners of an NFL certainly can. You cannot have someone else make such an important hire or even influence the decision. The Pegula's have to do it like everyone else does if they are going to part ways with Whaley. Interview the candidates and hire the best one.

It's their team, why leave it up to someone else to decide? To further that all these names that are put forward for Czars are people who have left the game! Actual Czars, or knowledgeable football people, are still employed in the league because they still want to be.

It's their team, why leave it up to someone else to decide? To further that all these names that are put forward for Czars are people who have left the game! Actual Czars, or knowledgeable football people, are still employed in the league because they still want to be.

Exactly

Here's a good list that they can start with: http://insidethepylon.com/nfl/front-office/2016/01/07/2016-nfl-general-manger-candidates/

Not to mention Kraft hired Parcells, who brought BB with him; then they went to the Jets and that weird situation happened and BB came back to NE.

Again, it's not that complicated. I don't understand why you need a consultant to do that? Interview qualified candidates and hire the one whose philosophy best meshes with yours. I mean, I just threw out a name that would make a lot of sense. If I can identify it, they certainly should be able to.

It really muddies the waters if you bring in a czar type. They are recommending people that fit THEIR philosophy and not necessarily the Pegula's. They have to identify the guy that they want and hire him.

And what would the Pegulas philosophy be? Just asking because I certainly don't see one

In case anyone is wondering, Dan Hatman is a former NFL scout. He's in the know with this stuff.

Looking at the list, would you go for a DeCosta type or would you swing for the fences? I've heard many good things about Alonzo Highsmith, I'd be tempted to give him a shot, at least give him a chance to blow me away.

Edited by Blokestradamus

In case anyone is wondering, Dan Hatman is a former NFL scout. He's in the know with this stuff.

Looking at the list, would you go for a DeCosta type or would you swing for the fences? I've heard many good things about Alonzo Highsmith, I'd be tempted to give him a shot, at least give him a chance to blow me away.

Caserio has been my guy if you could get him (he's a friend of my sister though so I know that influences my decision). DeCosta and Tobin would be high on my list as well. I'm normally ultra aggressive but I think that this has to be a conservative and safe hire. They can't afford a guy with a low floor. That's why I throw those names out there. Edited by Kirby Jackson

Caserio has been my guy if you could get him (he's a friend of my sister though so I know that influences my decision). DeCosta and Tobin would be high on my list as well. I'm normally ultra aggressive but I think that this has to be a conservative and safe hire. They can't afford a guy with a low floor. That's why I throw those names out there.

My issue with those type of guys is they typically deny interviews because they are the heir apparent at each respective organization.

There were reports that the Pegulas wanted to hire Bill Polian as a football czar, but he apparently wasn't interested. I think part of the reason he wasn't interested is because he didn't want to have to do the dirty work of firing Whaley and the rest of the scouting department.

When the season ends fire Whaley and Rex. Give Bill Polian a monetary offer he can't refuse. Say 5 years $50 million. The Pegulas have been throwing money at players and coaches to no result. Do the smart thing and put your money on someone who is proven.

Bill Polian knows how to set up a successful structure to a football team. He has done it 3 times with some historic results. I don't care if he displays complete nepotism and hires his son as GM. The Bills are dysfunctional and need a total rebuild. They need someone with experience and knowledge to come in and set them up for the future. Also someone to school the Pegulas on how to have sustained success in the NFL.

Make Bill Polian a very rich man and sell him on coming back to Buffalo to help complete the job he started.

You can't buy back the past. Past is past. Move On.

If you can't move on, look at Polian's draft and FA track record, FO structure, and team record his last years in Indy. Then move on.

So many people complaining we are living in the past

And someone has the nerve to bring up Polian

Well duh likely not the same people

Caserio has been my guy if you could get him (he's a friend of my sister though so I know that influences my decision). DeCosta and Tobin would be high on my list as well.

Not sure DeCosta would leave Baltimore. I think he's said as much before. I'd definitely try and tempt him in the knowledge that plan B is probably needed.

Do you know much about Rob Hanrahan? He's our Director of Pro Personnel (literally didn't know that until now), I think his department has done a solid job with acquisitions. Maybe not GM but possibly an assistant GM role might be a decent reward for him.

Not sure DeCosta would leave Baltimore. I think he's said as much before. I'd definitely try and tempt him in the knowledge that plan B is probably needed.

Do you know much about Rob Hanrahan? He's our Director of Pro Personnel (literally didn't know that until now), I think his department has done a solid job with acquisitions. Maybe not GM but possibly an assistant GM role might be a decent reward for him.

I actually know quite a bit about him. He came up under John Guy and really worked his way through the ranks. He's not ready for that IMO. Fisher and Monos are the next guys in line. Edited by Kirby Jackson

I know Jim Manos is one that is seen as an up and coming GM around the league. I just dont know if you are moving on from Whaley that and internal hire is a good thing. Screams same old Bills to me

Caserio has been my guy if you could get him (he's a friend of my sister though so I know that influences my decision). DeCosta and Tobin would be high on my list as well. I'm normally ultra aggressive but I think that this has to be a conservative and safe hire. They can't afford a guy with a low floor. That's why I throw those names out there.

Whatever they do has to be conservative and safe; this is why:

"Buffalo has become the NFL’s Dysfunction Junction in recent days, with a new nugget emerging virtually every hour painting the team as a clown show."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/09/18/report-greg-roman-was-fired-right-after-posing-for-team-photo/

I know Jim Manos is one that is seen as an up and coming GM around the league. I just dont know if you are moving on from Whaley that and internal hire is a good thing. Screams same old Bills to me

I think Monos would be great, but you are exactly correct in why they can't...