This Is What a Good GM Looks Like - Elway vs. Whaley

Let's focus on homegrown - drafted or undrafted free agents - currently on each team's roster. Offensive/Defensive Starters in Week 1 (2016) in bold:

Broncos:

- 1st round picks: 6. Demaryius Thomas, Von Miller, Sylvester Williams, Shane Ray, Bradley Roby, Paxton Lynch

- 2nd round picks: 4. Derek Wolfe, Cody Latimer, Ty Sambrailo, Adam Gotsis

- 3rd round picks: 4 Jeff Heuerman, Michael Scofield, Kayvon Webster, Justin Simmons

- 4th round picks: 2 Devontae Booker, Max Garcia

- 5th round picks: 2 Connor McGovern, Lorenzo Doss

- 6th round picks: 4 Andy Janovich, Matt Paradis, Darius Kilgo, Will Parks

- 7th round picks: 4 Trevor Siemien, Virgil Green, Corey Nelson, Riley Dixon

- UDFA: 13 CJ Anderson, Kapri Bibbs, Bennie Fowler, Jordan Norwood, Jordan Taylor, Shaq Barrett, Chris Harris Jr, Darian Stewart, Darrion Weems, Kyle Peko, Todd Davis, Brandon McManus, Zaire Anderson

13 of 22 opening week starters were drafted or signed by the Broncos. A total of 39 homegrown players on the roster.

Bills:

1st round picks: 6 EJ, Dareus*, Watkins, Glenn, Wood, Gilmore (*counted as a starter although suspended)

2nd round picks: 5 Woods, Miller, Koundjio, Aaron Williams, Darby

3rd round picks: 4 Goodwin, Miller, Alphonso, Preston Brown

4th round picks: 2 Cardale, Duke

5th round picks: 3 J Williams, Kyle Williams, Meeks

6th round picks: 1 O'Leary

7th round picks: 2 Seymour, Seantrel

UDFA: 2 Albright, Robey-Coleman

That's 13 starters, just like the Broncos, but a total of only 25 homegrown players. In particular, look at the low-round (6th/7th) and UDFA starters. The Broncos start 7 such guys, including major contributors like CJ Anderson and Chris Harris Jr. The Bills start zero. And there's tons of homegrown depth on the Broncos. Not so much on the Bills.

Whaley has to do better on that front. Actually, I think he has to be gone.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not sure what your point is given:

some glaring errors in your post,

and the fact that they both ended up with13 starters,

and Elway has 3 more drafts under his belt than Whaley,

and Whaley only recently received permission to make big deals and re-sign our own guys

But sure, ok. Whaley isnt Elway.

The Bills start zero. And there's tons of homegrown depth on the Broncos. Not so much on the Bills.

part of the problem is you rolled in picks across 3 coaching regimes. who gets squeezed out first? the depth guys that you are developing into scheme specific roles.

Glenn was a 2nd, Wood in '09 prior to Whaley joining the Bills, Kyle Williams in '06 prior to Whaley joining the Bills.

I believe he is giving credit to Whaley for re-signing our own drafted players.

Not sure who Alphonso in the 3rd is???

And I'd probably bold Kouandjio considering he has stepped in at LT pretty well, just needed some time to develop. So that's 14 starters to Elways 13.

Edited by DrDareustein

I believe he is giving credit to Whaley for re-signing our own drafted players.

Not sure who Alphonso in the 3rd is???

And I'd probably bold Kouandjio considering he has stepped in at LT pretty well, just needed some time to develop. So that's 14 starters to Elways 13.

Thanks Mr.Whaley...

When will the fact that Whaley had to quietly retool a defense for Rex that was built for a different style in '14 get any press? Watching the game last night, I didnt recognize some of the players on D. I'm like.......whose that?

Zach Brown played pretty well too. Made a lot of good stops against the run.

Let's focus on homegrown - drafted or undrafted free agents - currently on each team's roster. Offensive/Defensive Starters in Week 1 (2016) in bold:

Broncos:

- 1st round picks: 6. Demaryius Thomas, Von Miller, Sylvester Williams, Shane Ray, Bradley Roby, Paxton Lynch

- 3rd round picks: 4 Jeff Heuerman, Michael Scofield, Kayvon Webster, Justin Simmons

- UDFA: 13 CJ Anderson, Kapri Bibbs, Bennie Fowler, Jordan Norwood, Jordan Taylor, Shaq Barrett, Chris Harris Jr, Darian Stewart, Darrion Weems, Kyle Peko, Todd Davis, Brandon McManus, Zaire Anderson

13 of 22 opening week starters were drafted or signed by the Broncos. A total of 39 homegrown players on the roster.

Bills:

1st round picks: 6 EJ, Dareus*, Watkins, Glenn, Wood, Gilmore (*counted as a starter although suspended)

That's 13 starters, just like the Broncos, but a total of only 25 homegrown players. In particular, look at the low-round (6th/7th) and UDFA starters. The Broncos start 7 such guys, including major contributors like CJ Anderson and Chris Harris Jr. The Bills start zero. And there's tons of homegrown depth on the Broncos. Not so much on the Bills.

Isn't Seantrel a starter?

Bush should go and Manny Lawson should be resigned

Broncos:

Bills:

I don't get your point at all. Elway can make a case to be a better GM, sure - they all have superbowl rings from last season- but whether he acquired an adequate QB or not is TBD so far when they've won 1 game by taking head-shots at Cam and luck on a field goal. If you acquire a good player by trade (Hughes) or FA does it somehow not count? If Von Miller is suspended or injured, is he not still a good player?

When will the fact that Whaley had to quietly retool a defense for Rex that was built for a different style in '14 get any press? Watching the game last night, I didnt recognize some of the players on D. I'm like.......whose that?

That was Kyle Williams, Darby, Gilmore, Aaron Williams, Corey Graham, Hughes, Robey, Duke Williams, Preston Brown, Bryant..

You don't recognize these guys?

Ok...talent doesn't seem to be the issue.

If you want to blame Whaley for not hiring a good coach, then be my guest.

Its unfortunate that the Bills couldn't maintain a consistent staff. They barely lasted a year. Its pathetic. Around and around we go.

Talent? Talented players win football games. We have been blaming the coaching staffs for 16 yeears. let's face it our players are mediocre at best we just think they are talented cause of our love of the tram.