Saints release Spiller

Virgil

Yup. Spiller was one of the galling mistakes, a gadget player in the top 10, and the third running back taken in the first round during an 8 year stretch. No other team would be so foolish. At least the Browns try to find a QB when they make terrible picks.

Wasting an extra first round pick on Watkins when there were two other top rated WRs on the board was another. It's not fantasy football, you can't just lose your head by falling in love with one player.

This place exploded in anger, including mine, when they made the Spiller pick. I don't get how a bunch of amateurs can see how stupid that pick was (along with Whitner) - and they still make it.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This place exploded in anger, including mine, when they made the Spiller pick. I don't get how a bunch of amateurs can see how stupid that pick was (along with Whitner) - and they still make it.

True indeed bbb.

I was flat out furious when they picked Spiller. Not as angry as I was at the Whitner pick mind you, but there was never a doubt in my mind from day 1 that Spiller was a total waste at #9.

It's a shame what Bills management has put us fans through, and you are correct. Amateurs like us knew just how dumb these picks were. Other fans, numb from disappointment, cling to the possibility that there still might be something left in these bad, spent players.

I think that with new ownership, the Bills finally have a chance, if and when they get rid of the 3 Stooges, Brandon, Whaley and Rex.

Because they always are trying to outsmart everyone and get too cute with their 1st round picks. They need to just trade down every year and draft the least risky guy at the least risky position, like OG or CB or DT.

Instead they reach (Manuel, whitner, Spiller, maybin), or go after injured guys (shaq; mcgahee).

I will never forgive the FO for trading Marshawn

Dude he had to go.. He didn't want to be here and he wasn't even playing well that last year he was here.

He also was closing in on a suspension after numerous questionable actions.

Dareus is next, if he does one more stupid thing most of us will run him out of town to.

I do not understand how people still cling to Lynch should of never been traded notion. .Yes he should of and yes he was.. He got his crap together but IMO he would of continued his disgruntled play if he stayed

Edited by ddaryl

Dude he had to go.. He didn't want to be here and he wasn't even playing well that last year he was here.

He also was closing in on a suspension after numerous questionable actions.

Dareus is next, if he does one more stupid thing most of us will run him out of town to.

I do not understand how people still cling to Lynch should of never been traded notion. .Yes he should of and yes he was.. He got his crap together but IMO he would of continued his disgruntled play if he stayed

Things change quickly in the NFL........on-field success has a way of un-disgruntling players and fans rally around players who take shots when they are down and get back up.

I was a detractor of Marshawn's during the hit and run.......hitting a person with a car while drunk and leaving them for dead is the height of rudeness........but once that storm was weathered there was no reason to move him.

Said it then and now......just a stupid decision by a sloppy, careless Bills front office.

Things change quickly in the NFL........on-field success has a way of un-disgruntling players and fans rally around players who take shots when they are down and get back up.

I was a detractor of Marshawn's during the hit and run.......hitting a person with a car while drunk and leaving them for dead is the height of rudeness........but once that storm was weathered there was no reason to move him.

Said it then and now......just a stupid decision by a sloppy, careless Bills front office.

didnt he come into that season or the one before heavy and disengaged? im just going off memory and its been awhile....

ill be honest, im also surprised the back issues never effected the guy more than they did based on his style of running. i didnt think he would weather the punishment near as well as he did.

didnt he come into that season or the one before heavy and disengaged? im just going off memory and its been awhile....

ill be honest, im also surprised the back issues never effected the guy more than they did based on his style of running. i didnt think he would weather the punishment near as well as he did.

It took him a while to get back to form after he got traded. They had given up on him with the Spiller selection. Gailey somehow was living in the past with his idea of a scatback when the league was about to make are strong transition into power backs.

Reminiscent of when the Bills traded Travis Henry because......well, you just didn't have two starting caliber RB's.......never work.....not enough carries. Soon after many successful teams were platooning backs.

As Belichick has said.........in order to stay bad in this league you basically have to be constantly making one bad decision after another..........it's really not set up to keep bad teams down. AT ALL.

True indeed bbb.

I was flat out furious when they picked Spiller. Not as angry as I was at the Whitner pick mind you, but there was never a doubt in my mind from day 1 that Spiller was a total waste at #9.

It's a shame what Bills management has put us fans through, and you are correct. Amateurs like us knew just how dumb these picks were. Other fans, numb from disappointment, cling to the possibility that there still might be something left in these bad, spent players.

I think that with new ownership, the Bills finally have a chance, if and when they get rid of the 3 Stooges, Brandon, Whaley and Rex.

I don't say this to absolve Nix, but I think Spiller is an example of how difficult it is for a GM to put the right pieces together for a quality football team in the face of constantly changing coaches. As I recall, Gailey was loud and clear before the draft about wanting a "waterbug" or a "scat back". That's what he needed to make his offense work. Meanwhile, Schobel sold his house and George Edwards was in desperate need of personnel to make a 3-4 work. Of course, we had no scouting then. Then we switched to a 4-3, then back to a 3-4.

I can remember people here challenging me "Spiller was the BPA" "who else was there?" Jason Pierre-Paul was my choice, but Tyson Alualu might have done better outside Jacksonville and at least he's still playing. Who did you like?

It took him a while to get back to form after he got traded. They had given up on him with the Spiller selection. Gailey somehow was living in the past with his idea of a scatback when the league was about to make are strong transition into power backs.

Reminiscent of when the Bills traded Travis Henry because......well, you just didn't have two starting caliber RB's.......never work.....not enough carries. Soon after many successful teams were platooning backs.

As Belichick has said.........in order to stay bad in this league you basically have to be constantly making one bad decision after another..........it's really not set up to keep bad teams down. AT ALL.

Lynch was wearing out his welcome in B'lo. He didn't want to be here and it showed in how he played. Then there were all the off-field hijinks. But still, the smart move would have been to say to Chan, "this is your RB, he can be a star, talk to him, figure out how he ticks, make him happy, figure out how to use him effectively. Meanwhile, we need defense and that's how we're drafting if the guys are there". To add insult to injury was how we traded him, at the last minute and for peanuts instead of shopping him carefully.

Nix was a buffoon, sorry to say it.

I hadn't heard that Belicheck quote before, do you know where and when he said it.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan