Jared Goff = #1 overall pick, 3rd string QB

YoloinOhio

Fwiw, Brady was a phenomenal college player.

All pro QBs were excellent college players. However, Brady was not exceptional at all in relation to that group.

He was heavily criticized at Michigan for not being able to live up to the legacy of Brian Griese and his national championship. He was recognized for having better skills (better arm, better accuracy, etc.) but none of Griese's charisma or leadership skills. I remember one writer terming Brady's skills as "fools gold" because they would never lead Michigan to a championship. He wrote that Griese won the national championship with his "cajones" not his arm and that Brady didn't have any.

Edited by vincec

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taking snaps out of the shotgun are the only thing college and NFL QBs have in common. NFL QBs still take snaps from under center and still articulate play calls in a huddle. Many college QBs, like Goff for example, never did either their entire college careers.

Newton, Wilson, Winston, Maariota seem to do fine as rookies. It's probably not simply the college game. Maybe it's the QB...

Newton, Wilson, Winston, Maariota seem to do fine as rookies. It's probably not simply the college game. Maybe it's the QB...

It is largely the QB.... and certainly EJ wasn't as good of a prospect as any of those guys in the first place. However, with all those guys they had clever OCs their rookie year who accentuated their positives and hid to some extent their weaknesses. I'm not sure Nate Hackett as OC and QB coached helped EJ out at all. Not saying "poor old EJ he'd have been good otherwise" just making the point that OCs who understand the differences between college and the NFL and help young QBs make the transition is part of it. Look at what Shanahan did year 1 with RGIII. Basically ran the Baylor offense.

Few knew back then that Brady, Rodgers, Brees would have the careers they have had.

Also, Wentz was the pick of the litter months ago.

actually Brees had a really good rookie year and the Chargers gave up on him way too early after a rough 2nd season. But I get your point.

Still we are seeing entire draft classes come and go with no new impact players at the position. I don't blame college coaches because they have enough to worry about without having to worry about grooming QBs with the NFL.

It's just very interesting and I am curious to know what this position will look like in 10 years.

Of course its the QB. Of course there are other factors. College game has a lot to do with their development, though, and some programs, like the one Goff came from are worse than others when it comes to development. Goff literally never called a play in a huddle and never took a snap from under center.

And before you attempt to turn this into a classic WEO argument with continually moving goal lines, know that I'm not interested. Go troll somebody else.

Of course its the QB. Of course there are other factors. College game has a lot to do with their development, though, and some programs, like the one Goff came from are worse than others when it comes to development. Goff literally never called a play in a huddle and never took a snap from under center.

And before you attempt to turn this into a classic WEO argument with continually moving goal lines, know that I'm not interested. Go troll somebody else.

Fact. If you aren't a stud qb your rookie year, your career is over.

And this is based off Cardale playing against mainly guys who aren't in the NFL?

LOL, don't forget he was also playing WITH alot of guys who aren't in the NFL... Goff would struggle mightily with his own 1's... Jones would be, at the very worst, -okay

LOL, don't forget he was also playing WITH alot of guys who aren't in the NFL... Goff would struggle mightily with his own 1's... Jones would be, at the very worst, -okay

I think it's insane that at this point. Cardale wasn't exactly lighting it up.

That said, I love that he gets to sit and learn. It's the best thing for most Qbs not named Peyton Manning (who went 3-13 his rookie year).

HA! -Cardale looks waaaaay better than JaGoff... As much as he's struggled, I'd trust Cardale to start a game over ANY rookie QB taken this year.

I am actually really excited for the QB position of this team as it goes forward.

C. Jones is a decisive QB.....that is something he already has over EJ......he has all the arm talent in the world.....makes a decision and goes with it.....

If he can just biuld some consistancy with his throws.....we are going to have TWO very good QBs on this roster....I dont anybody expected C. Jones to look this good this fast.

I am actually really excited for the QB position of this team as it goes forward.

C. Jones is a decisive QB.....that is something he already has over EJ......he has all the arm talent in the world.....makes a decision and goes with it.....

If he can just biuld some consistancy with his throws.....we are going to have TWO very good QBs on this roster....I dont anybody expected C. Jones to look this good this fast.

With all due respect, you are taking a lot out of the preseason.

Why? It's his rookie year. Aaron Rodgers turned out ok not playing right away.

I'm not calling bust I'm just saying worried. There is a difference between going 1 and going 25...with the 1 pick you might think he'd play right away. I like that they're not forcing him and ruining him so this is the smart play.