Jared Goff = #1 overall pick, 3rd string QB

YoloinOhio

I was watching part of the game and saw him get absolutely picked up and bodyslammed by a blitzing safety...he was slow getting up...that hit looked like it hurt from the living room, can't imagine what it must have felt iike

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I blame the college game, the offenses they run and, most importantly, the same defenses they see week in and week out as a result of those offenses.

I don't understand why colleges run those offenses. Wouldn't it be easier to recruit blue chip players if they thought the system was preparing them for at least a chance in the NFL?

I don't understand why colleges run those offenses. Wouldn't it be easier to recruit blue chip players if they thought the system was preparing them for at least a chance in the NFL?

Spread offenses are easier to learn and they are what a lot of these guys are playing in HS, too. Remember, in college you are plugging in a new QB every year or two so it helps to have a system that is easy to learn.

BTW, I do not believe the notion that good QBs are harder to find these days. IMO, there have never been as many good/great QBs in the league as there are now.

Edited by mannc

I don't blame them. the alternative is to force him in where he obviously doesn't belong because of entitlement due to his draft position. Let him earn it, and learn while holding clipboards. It's not like we've seen shoehorning guys like that in work out very often.. or like ever!

I agree. Ironically, much like college overall today, it's failing to prepare these guys for careers in the so called "real world".

I think as a result, you'll see a lot more of the Aaron Rodgers template where NFL QB picks absent that once in generational talent sit for seasons to learn the job.

First round QB busts are hardly a function of "today's" college game.

Spread offenses are easier to learn and they are what a lot of these guys are playing in HS, too. Remember, in college you are plugging in a new QB every year or two so it helps to have a system that is easy to learn.

BTW, I do not believe the notion that good QBs are harder to find these days. IMO, there have never been as many good/great QBs in the league as there are now.

Good point in your first paragraph.

I wish I could agree with your second. Like Goff, there are many college QBs who will never have called a play in a huddle by the time they are finished with school. The language barrier alone is enough to get a prospect's head spinning, let alone the exponentially better athletes he will face in the NFL.

I'm slowly coming the conclusion that when the Brady, Ben, Brees, Rivers, Rodgers generation retires, every single QB in the league will suck.

Russel Wilson, Cam Newton, Andrew Luck... It is a never ending cycle of a "few" good QBs.

Edited by Beef Jerky

I'm still amazed some football guru can't figure out what skill set is required to be a good NFL QB and then devise a test or metric for college QBs.

Tom Brady obviously had the x factor in spades to be a great NFL QB, but no one saw it at the collegiate level.

Why not?

Is anyone working on this? They should be.

Most NFL scouts are still obsessed with physical attributes, height, hand size...

No great QB in this league has ever been great b/c of those things.

It's mostly esoteric and mental.

I'm still amazed some football guru can't figure out what skill set is required to be a good NFL QB and then devise a test or metric for college QBs.

Tom Brady obviously had the x factor in spades to be a great NFL QB, but no one saw it at the collegiate level.

Why not?

Is anyone working on this? They should be.

Most NFL scouts are still obsessed with physical attributes, height, hand size...

No great QB in this league has ever been great b/c of those things.

It's mostly esoteric and mental.

It is impossible to predict human success. Injuries, talent, work ethic, brains just so much has to go right to be good in the NFL, especially at QB

It is impossible to predict human success. Injuries, talent, work ethic, brains just so much has to go right to be good in the NFL, especially at QB

Disagree. It can be estimated much better than it currently is.

But look at the people who run the NFL. Not really a brain trust, is it?

I wish I could agree with your second. Like Goff, there are many college QBs who will never have called a play in a huddle by the time they are finished with school. The language barrier alone is enough to get a prospect's head spinning, let alone the exponentially better athletes he will face in the NFL.

I don't think we really disagree here. I think there are just as many, if not more, talented QBs in the league as there ever have been. It seems like your real point is that because of the wide open offenses that are so common in CFB now, it takes longer for QBs to adjust to the NFL or perhaps that it is more difficult to identify the goods ones coming out of CFB, not necessarily that there are not as many good QBs available.

Edited by mannc

this is what your supposed to do...he doesn't play right away if he's not ready. EJ for example should not have been playing - ruined him. I'm not the EJ apologist but he wasn't given much of a chance to succeed.

Yes, playing football ruined him.

But seriously, 1st round QBs, with rare exceptions are drafted to be the starting QB, by necessity. He was given the same chance to succeed as many others in his situation--it's the norm. Aaron Rodgers is the exception.

Saw Goff play a bit this preseason and he does look awful. That's gotta suck to draft a guy #1 overall and know you could've had a Dak Prescott for nothing. Even Cardale Jones and the kid from Michigan (that lit up the Bills scrubs) look more like future NFL QB's.

Goff also looked awful in college. So I'm not sure how he was supposed to look better as the competition get tougher.

@rapsheet

#Rams coach Jeff Fisher said last night what was already clear: Case Keenum to start, Sean Mannion is their No 2 now

Jared Goff face plants in preseason finale

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000694353/article/jared-goff-faceplants-in-preseason-finale?campaign=Twitter_atn

Gotta love the spread offense yeah :thumbsup: , college is ruining NFL QBs

Few knew back then that Brady, Rodgers, Brees would have the careers they have had.

Also, Wentz was the pick of the litter months ago.

Wentz is fine and will be a star

I blame the college game, the offenses they run and, most importantly, the same defenses they see week in and week out as a result of those offenses.

:worthy::worthy:

It's OK for QBs to sit when they're not ready!!!

No question, but what's strange is that he's not the #2. Usually the #2 gets a lot more reps with your offense than the #3 so it's a big help for development. The #3 is running the scout team so that's not as good.

another reason there should be a minor league for the NFL, to get all the players ready for the pro style game.

I don't think we really disagree here. I think there are just as many, if not more, talented QBs in the league as there ever have been. It seems like your real point is that because of the wide open offenses that are so common in CFB now, it takes longer for QBs to adjust to the NFL or perhaps that it is more difficult to identify the goods ones coming out of CFB, not necessarily that there are not as many good QBs available.

I'd say my real point is the majority of college QBs are fundamentally different from past generations. Less and less each year even call a play in the huddle or take a snap from under center. The play calling aspect is huge, imo. They go from looking at the sideline for a signal to having to memorize very intricate language and then having to make a call in the huddle all while analyzing the defense pre-snap. It's the difference between being a passer and a QB. These kids literally don't know how to quarterback an offense.