Fragile Freddie accuses doctors

Ex-NFL RB Fred Taylor accuses doctors of failing to disclose injuries to him

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/ex-nfl-rb-fred-taylor-accuses-doctors-of-failing-to-disclose-injuries-to-him-083116

That 'Fragile Freddy' name still ticks him off, too

I had both of my labrum, one in each shoulder, fully torn from snow shovelling and it is a B word to recover from surgery. I do not know what 'partially torn' means though - how severe of a torn were each of them and how could you not tell other than being on painkillers for other issues.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For my 2,999 post!

Be careful with that word, a couple letters off, could have a much different meaning. Though the shoulder part would be interesting to see!

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/ex-nfl-rb-fred-taylor-accuses-doctors-of-failing-to-disclose-injuries-to-him-083116

I had both of my labrum, one in each shoulder, fully torn from snow shovelling and it is a B word to recover from surgery. I do not know what 'partially torn' means though - how severe of a torn were each of them and how could you not tell other than being on painkillers for other issues.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

I thought this thread was a dig at our Freddie and clicked the link with guns a blazin'

Serenity now...

Me too....

Who was fast Freddie again? His name wasn't Freddie though, that's just what they called him.

Edit: Jonathan Smith was his name.

Correct you are sir.

The most interesting part of that article is that the NFL is still up to its old tricks of denying inured players their benefits. They clearly want to get sued again. That said, Fred Taylor made enough money to hire his own doctors. You need to be responsible for your own health.

A very interesting read: "Slow Getting Up" by Nate Turner. He goes into detail about his own injury history, how they were treated, how he knew from how the injuries were responding that the injury was probably more severe than the team's doctor said, and how he essentially went along to stick with the team and avoid getting cut. Now this is a guy who was a backup, a scout team player, a guy paid by the game or paid league minimum - not a star earning the big $$$. But one would think he probably could have afforded a doctor to give him a second opinion nonetheless.

Sounds like the money ran out

Bingo. He's trying to get Line of Duty Disability benefits, which start at...$3000 a month.

So now he's found a doc who told him he "played with a broken clavicle", which is as unlikely as it sounds--especially with this guy.

He has changed his tone. Evidently he has been taking lessons in double talk from an-ex USFL owner:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17440615/former-nfl-rb-fred-taylor-says-hold-grudge-nfl-doctors

Former Jacksonville Jaguars running back Fred Taylor said his string of tweets about discovering new injuries following a recent group of tests was not meant as a criticism of the medical care he received as a player.
Nor, he said, was it an accusation that the Jaguars, the team physicians or the NFL hid injuries from him during a 13-year career that ended after the 2010 season.
Taylor said Thursday he just wanted to bring attention to the fact that while the issue of concussions and their aftermath are at the forefront of the NFL right now, players also deal with other medical issues after their careers end.

He probably isn't wrong. Doctors are team employees, and especially back then their jobs were to clear the players to get on the field.

How much it effected his body is hard to say,but to naively brush it off as "sour grapes" isn't too smart either

He probably isn't wrong. Doctors are team employees, and especially back then their jobs were to clear the players to get on the field.

How much it effected his body is hard to say,but to naively brush it off as "sour grapes" isn't too smart either

Team physicians, particularly surgeons get a small fraction of their income from the team. In fact, they have to pay the team in order to advertise that they are the team doctor.

Taylor's claims are BS. He's broke and the NFL says he doesn't qualify for a couple thousand a month he's looking for.

Team physicians, particularly surgeons get a small fraction of their income from the team. In fact, they have to pay the team in order to advertise that they are the team doctor.

Taylor's claims are BS. He's broke and the NFL says he doesn't qualify for a couple thousand a month he's looking for.

That's irrelevant. The pressure they faced to clear the players to get back on the field during that era of the NFL was overwhelming, and clearly many of them acted with the team's benefit rather than the player's benefit in mind. Far too much evidence exists to simply say otherwise

Edited by matter2003

That's irrelevant. The pressure they faced to clear the players to get back on the field during that era of the NFL was overwhelming, and clearly many of them acted with the team's benefit rather than the player's benefit in mind. Far too much evidence exists to simply say otherwise

What evidence?