Will Preston Brown Improve?

Cover 1

Do you guys think Preston Brown will be better this year? In his preseason action, he looked decisive and in control..

https://gfycat.com/VigilantColorfulFlyinglemur

https://gfycat.com/MiniatureTemptingDeer

https://gfycat.com/UnpleasantLiquidHamster

https://gfycat.com/ElderlyCraftyAmmonite

Edited by Cover 1

The coaching staff, including Ryan, have already said he has a much greater command of the defense and communication than he did last year. That's more than half the battle in a Rex Ryan defense. Understanding what the offense is trying to do and how the defense adjusts to it. I don't think he had a bad year last year. Not all pro, but not garbage either. No reason to not be optimistic.

Just being ready at the snap (which was usually not his fault) and in control and knowing what is expected should be an enormous help.

no sir, it was his fault. I am not trying to just be argumentative here either. he was not focused. He looks much better already. although not complete as Erik mentions.

Just being ready at the snap (which was usually not his fault) and in control and knowing what is expected should be an enormous help.

Knowing what is expected? For sure ! I expect he is making every effort this year. i have been rooting for him.

love this mix of Brown Brown and Spikes.

I no longer feel broken about my boy Ragland being down.

no sir, it was his fault. I am not trying to just be argumentative here either. he was not focused. He looks much better already. although not complete as Erik mentions.

My point was there were an inordinate amount of plays throughout the season, dozens, where he was looking to the sideline for the playcall, it was late, he was stamping his feet waiting impatiently for it, he got it and called out to his teammates the play and they were not set completely when the ball was snapped, or they were yelling at each other back and forth just before the ball was snapped and were not ready, or they had just barely got into position just as the ball was snapped and they were off a split second which often caused bad angles or shedding blocks or missed assignments. It happened all the time. The defensive play calling last year took forever, which is all on Rex regardless of who was calling them (sometimes it was Rex and sometimes it was Thurman).

He's proven to be pretty average. I wouldn't expect much more than that. Players getting a lot better due to "experience" isn't totally false, but it happens much less frequently than the media and the puff pieces would have you believe.

My point was there were an inordinate amount of plays throughout the season, dozens, where he was looking to the sideline for the playcall, it was late, he was stamping his feet waiting impatiently for it, he got it and called out to his teammates the play and they were not set completely when the ball was snapped, or they were yelling at each other back and forth just before the ball was snapped and were not ready, or they had just barely got into position just as the ball was snapped and they were off a split second which often caused bad angles or shedding blocks or missed assignments. It happened all the time. The defensive play calling last year took forever, which is all on Rex regardless of who was calling them (sometimes it was Rex and sometimes it was Thurman).

Yessir I watched everypainfulbit of that. at multiple positions and with key play callers. So yes i get that.

But if you do not study and become one with the Coach at that level it is bound to fail.

I think it became frustration on both sides Coaches and players. and that is why Mario just said f it. I aint gonna die for no f'd up LBJ Vietnam. I can see that.

But you have read Preston's quotes. He said, Duke said A W said. MD said. they did not do the work or the buy in.Jerry has alluded to it .

The play call was mixed up because the players(LB) and then the call to the DBs >secondary l were not lined up correctly to begin with much less being ready to shift off the keys. Because the players were not versed well enough in the play books. That why Coach was yelling in the headset

That is on boths side of the sideline for sure. But Brown was hardly a victim. he was a malcontent and a poor assed player. he looked stupid and lost.

He is working on a 180 and i have tons of hope for him.

But have you thought that maybe he wasn't waiting on the playcall rather the check or adjustment that was supposed to be called by the players? We don't know for sure. I am sure it is a good mix. There is a reason they brought Rob and Ed and other players that have played in the scheme.

Yessir I watched everypainfulbit of that. at multiple positions and with key play callers. So yes i get that.

But if you do not study and become one with the Coach at that level it is bound to fail.

I think it became frustration on both sides Coaches and players. and that is why Mario just said f it. I aint gonna die for no f'd up LBJ Vietnam. I can see that.

But you have read Preston's quotes. He said, Duke said A W said. MD said. they did not do the work or the buy in.Jerry has alluded to it .

The play call was mixed up because the players(LB) and then the call to the DBs >secondary l were not lined up correctly to begin with much less being ready to shift off the keys. Because the players were not versed well enough in the play books. That why Coach was yelling in the headset

That is on boths side of the sideline for sure. But Brown was hardly a victim. he was a malcontent and a poor assed player. he looked stupid and lost.

I totally agree. Good points my friend.

So ridiculous. You just listed half the defensive roster as being to blame. You can also blame the Saints roster because they were never ready either. Is there a common thread?

I think he will be better initially but regress. Spikes ends season as starter. PB just isn't very good and he was terrible at calling the plays last year. I think the play calling improves but if you stink as a player then there's not much you can do about that

Odd topic, OP. (links to your site notwithstanding) He's a 3rd year player. Improvement is absolutely expected in his 3rd season. If he Doesn't, he likely won't be a 5th year player -or worse. He's a coaches' son and displayed remarkable capability as a rookie. Then he was square-pegged in an entirely different 'round' scheme his sophomore season. The kid is a Player. EXPECT improvement.

So ridiculous. You just listed half the defensive roster as being to blame. You can also blame the Saints roster because they were never ready either. Is there a common thread?

I don't watch the Saints, so i have no opinion.

Those fellows have spoken up that they could have done better in studying, Rex has spoken up he could have done better too.

Part of my opinion is based on those folks quotes and part of is is conjecture. So thats true enough, it just my opinion.

he shows flashes like the 43 yard int. I hope he can take the next step

Me too. like i said i am seeing a turnaround already. I have been a fan of his honestly in thinking he could be very good at what he does.

Let Zach run with TEs

Amazing how ready they were just a year earlier.

Old retort Scott.

We all know this. I agree too. Loved me some Jim Schwartz !!

Very different defenses and alot to learn in one off season.