Surprise Cuts - 2016

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It won't be this week but Aaron Williams.

I would just like to point out that if it were not for two questionable ref calls Little has 3 touchdowns in the last 2 games

He dropped that ball last week as per the stupid rules - I didn't think that part was questionable. The validity of the rule is HIGHLY questionable though. Tonight? Meh, it was a 50/50 call. The bigger issue with Little was the drops earlier in the game - those were his giant issue in Cleveland and he had at least two tonight - one egregious.

It won't be this week but Aaron Williams.

He dropped that ball last week as per the stupid rules - I didn't think that part was questionable. The validity of the rule is HIGHLY questionable though. Tonight? Meh, it was a 50/50 call. The bigger issue with Little was the drops earlier in the game - those were his giant issue in Cleveland and he had at least two tonight - one egregious.

one of those throws was way low.....still had 3 catches in the game (while Dez was MIA) and should have had a TD because he did NOT extend his arm.

I mean....give me a better option and I am all ears...the guy blocks his ass off and puts himself into a position to make plays......

one of those throws was way low.....still had 3 catches in the game (while Dez was MIA) and should have had a TD because he did NOT extend his arm.

I mean....give me a better option and I am all ears...the guy blocks his ass off and puts himself into a position to make plays......

I don't think Dez is that option either. I'd really LIKE Little to be the guy, I feel like he has the most upside of any of the options but if he still hasn't fixed his biggest issue (the drops) then I'm not sure I can trust him in a reserve role where he might only see one ball but he REALLY needs to catch that one ball.

What is your source on "colon detaching from his rectum"? I have not seen that in any report. It's quite common, on the other hand, to direct output to an ostomy bag temporarily after colon surgery, then redirect after healing is complete.

He may be ready, he may not be ready - you have a very valid point about the timeline for recovery after major abdominal surgery, but I don't believe they will cut him due to what might happen in the future. I mean, following that logic, Aaron Williams should definitely go out the door, and heck, any player with an injury - cut 'em all! If he's not ready, I would think they'd IR him.

I do remember reading that one of his surgeries was to reattach his rectum. I don't remember where I read that. But, we do know that a section of his colon was removed, right? That means that however large that section of colon was, it was damaged enough by the disease to have to be removed. That's pretty serious. And, agains, Crohn's is a chronic disease. Henderson is not cured. His disease is in remission.

I think there is a pattern with Bills fans, in their habitual tendency to root for the underdog, to remember Henderson as being much better than he actually was. If he really is 100%, maybe he's worth the risk. But, even at 100%, it is a risk.

I feel bad saying it, but roster spots are awfully valuable.

Probably a bit premature but every year we go through who our surprise cuts are. Who's yours?

Offense - I'm going with Goodwin. I think the last not contact injury was the final straw. Hope for him to be able to stay on the field has to be dwindled.

Defense - Robey-Coleman. I just get this feeling that he's in trouble.

Your crazy breh. Robey and Goodwin make the team. EASY. O' Leary, Boykin, little Gronk, Herron, Wilder Jr and Little are on the chop block but those arent surprises.

I do remember reading that one of his surgeries was to reattach his rectum. I don't remember where I read that. But, we do know that a section of his colon was removed, right? That means that however large that section of colon was, it was damaged enough by the disease to have to be removed. That's pretty serious. And, agains, Crohn's is a chronic disease. Henderson is not cured. His disease is in remission.

I think there is a pattern with Bills fans, in their habitual tendency to root for the underdog, to remember Henderson as being much better than he actually was. If he really is 100%, maybe he's worth the risk. But, even at 100%, it is a risk.

I feel bad saying it, but roster spots are awfully valuable.

You're right that one surgery was to reattach his colon to his rectum, but that doesn't mean the disease detached it (that would be highly unusual, and quite probably fatal due to peritoneal contamination). The surgeon did the detaching, and later the re-attaching. This is actually SOP for many intestinal resections (chop-out of damaged, cancerous, or diseased sections) in order to let the surgery heal-up before food.

You're also right that it's a chronic disease, but it's highly variable, some guys have played football with it and had long careers. Once it's under control, some can keep it that way, some can't. Some can manage it with relatively straightforward medications, others need regular IV treatment with medications that have more serious side effects. We just don't know.

I don't think I remember Henderson as "better than he was". I thought he was promising as a rookie and fell off last year, which may well have been the Crohn's battle. If I could beam in a prototype great RT would I cut Henderson if I held the scissors? Absolutely But we have Mills (injured with undisclosed knee injury), Henderson, and Kujo competing for that spot.

My point is they're going to consider Henderson relative to the demonstrated ability of the other guys they have on the roster right now, not worry about his long-term prognosis and what might happen. And the other guys on the roster, not looking like great options.

I just don't believe the rosy picture being painted regarding his recovery. Being an OT is dependent on using all of one's core muscles, on having size, and inertia, and mid-body mobility. I just don't see how someone can have a big piece of their colon removed as a result of Crohn's Disease, in which one of the symptoms was his colon detaching from his rectum (!!! :sick: !!!), requiring two surgeries, and bounce back as a Right Tackle, to 100% in under a year.

And, let us not forget that football is, above all else, a business. Crohn's is chronic, and Henderson wasn't ever exactly a stud RT in the first place. There are no guarantees that his condition won't recur. As a player, is he worth that risk?

When Henderson was healthy he was a good tackle, much better than typical 7h rounder, who many projected as going much higher but due to issues not directly related to football.

Duke Williams is doing a pretty good job of cutting himself tonight.

Duke is NOT going to be cut due to a game where majority of starters do not play considering rest of camp and preseason.

I don't think Dez is that option either. I'd really LIKE Little to be the guy, I feel like he has the most upside of any of the options but if he still hasn't fixed his biggest issue (the drops) then I'm not sure I can trust him in a reserve role where he might only see one ball but he REALLY needs to catch that one ball.

That's the problem with inconsistent catchers. Totally agree. But, I think Little makes the team for now.

You're right that one surgery was to reattach his colon to his rectum, but that doesn't mean the disease detached it (that would be highly unusual, and quite probably fatal due to peritoneal contamination). The surgeon did the detaching, and later the re-attaching. This is actually SOP for many intestinal resections (chop-out of damaged, cancerous, or diseased sections) in order to let the surgery heal-up before food.

You're also right that it's a chronic disease, but it's highly variable, some guys have played football with it and had long careers. Once it's under control, some can keep it that way, some can't. Some can manage it with relatively straightforward medications, others need regular IV treatment with medications that have more serious side effects. We just don't know.

I don't think I remember Henderson as "better than he was". I thought he was promising as a rookie and fell off last year, which may well have been the Crohn's battle. If I could beam in a prototype great RT would I cut Henderson if I held the scissors? Absolutely But we have Mills (injured with undisclosed knee injury), Henderson, and Kujo competing for that spot.

My point is they're going to consider Henderson relative to the demonstrated ability of the other guys they have on the roster right now, not worry about his long-term prognosis and what might happen. And the other guys on the roster, not looking like great options.

Hmmm. I didn't realize Mills had a knee injury. Did that happen yesterday?

Anyway, I've been pretty pessimistic about Henderson since his surgeries were reported. I've had two family members who have has sections of their colons removed, and it wasn't pretty. But, I did see some of yesterdays game highlights (after I wrote my last post here), and was pleased to see Henderson out there. From what little I saw, though, none of the O-line that was out there looked particularly impressive last night.

Be that as it may, I certainly wish the best for him, and would obviously prefer a healthy Henderson to Mills, or Kujo at RT.

Both good calls, but I think Goodwin will hold on for the Percy Harvin roll. Quick elusive receiver who makes some plays in the first few weeks, then gets hurt and goes on IR. Robey Coleman is on the fence.

Brandon Spikes is another close call

Spikes was a BOSS last night. He is locked in. Robey may lose his starting spot during the season, but right now I think he's held onto the starting role in the slot. He is a good blitzer and a better tackler than any of the guys on the field last night.

You think he retires from injury maybe? He's not getting cut. They love him and he's by far the best S on the roster.

I saw two replies stating AW in this thread before you started making a good point, Kirby. I'm wondering if the two who think he could be a cut took even a second to consider the cap implications. It's not happening. His $6.1 mil hit would bump to $8.275 mil if they cut him. Even next year they don't save a ton by cutting him ($6.625 mil hit or $4.825 mil dead money)

Gay and/or Sanborn

They just got Carpenter right, no way they're cutting Sanborn. He's a top-notch long snapper, you don't mess with that right before the season. Throws off the kickers mojo, and possibly the punter too

Picture this: Goodwin stays healthy as the #3 WR all season and has a productive 500 + yards, 5 total touchdowns, with about 40 + catches. Can you picture that?

Me neither. Cut him and stop wasting a roster spot. He is a poor mans Roscoe Parish.

Edited by Estelle Getty

Picture this: Goodwin stays healthy as the #3 WR all season and has a productive 500 + yards, 5 total touchdowns, with about 40 + catches. Can you picture that?

Me neither. Cut him and stop wasting a roster spot. He is a poor mans Roscoe Parish.

Not to be snarky, whats your receiver room look like ?

Not to be snarky, whats your receiver room look like ?

Watkins. Woods, Powell, Little, Boykin. Lewis to PS.

Boykin was Tyrods #1 WR in College. Little has had a great camp and has proven he can play on some level in the NFL. To me Woods is a perfect slot receiver not really a great # 2. I hope Powell can develop into that. Woods is Josh Reed minus the drops.

Goodwin has never been a productive NFL WR and will always get hurt due to his size. There is no need to keep 6 WR on the active roster in this offense.