Sorry, but I'm still going to miss Hogan

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe this thread still finds its way to the top of the board every week and is at 27 pages about a guy who managed just 38 catches playing in a perfect system for him with the arguably the greatest QB in NFL history.

I mean we are talking about Chis Hogan here, its not like we let some game changing WR walk. Don't get me wrong, I liked Hogan, but I think this is just being made into way too much. Brady has made a career of making his WR's better and getting more out of them then just about anyone else could, and he still only managed 38 receptions.

Anyone remember Deion Branch? Brady made this kid a star and a SB MVP...what did he do outside NE? Nothing. That is who Brady is...the King of getting more out of his WR's than just about anyone else could. He even took what was regarded as a washed up Randy Moss and broke receiving records with him. He took a guy who was considered a marginal WR at best in Welker and made him a stud. He has made Edelman productive where he would likely be irrelevant on most teams. Even Hogan had a few big moments, but again, how much of that is Hogan and how much of that is Brady? I would argue almost all Brady considering Hogan has struggled to even make teams in the NFL let alone be impactful.

And again...he had 38 receptions...I think we can all move on now, its not like he turned into the new Wes Welker and we lost something special. I would MUCH rather have Hunter out there than Hogan.

Edited by Alphadawg7

I can't believe this thread still finds its way to the top of the board every week and is at 27 pages about a guy who managed just 38 catches playing in a perfect system for him with the arguably the greatest QB in NFL history.

I mean we are talking about Chis Hogan here, its not like we let some game changing WR walk. Don't get me wrong, I liked Hogan, but I think this is just being made into way too much. Brady has made a career of making his WR's better and getting more out of them then just about anyone else could, and he still only managed 38 receptions.

Anyone remember Deion Branch? Brady made this kid a star and a SB MVP...what did he do outside NE? Nothing. That is who Brady is...the King of getting more out of his WR's than just about anyone else could. He even took what was regarded as a washed up Randy Moss and broke receiving records with him. He took a guy who was considered a marginal WR at best in Welker and made him a stud. He has made Edelman productive where he would likely be irrelevant on most teams. Even Hogan had a few big moments, but again, how much of that is Hogan and how much of that is Brady? I would argue almost all Brady considering Hogan has struggled to even make teams in the NFL let alone be impactful.

And again...he had 38 receptions...I think we can all move on now, its not like he turned into the new Wes Welker and we lost something special. I would MUCH rather have Hunter out there than Hogan.

I dredged it up because it is the case that he actually led the NFL in ypc this season, which is pretty remarkable. Of course, the QB is a big part of this, but in the first four games he was averaging a ton of ypc too. It's less about the number of catches than the impact catches. Check out Paul Warfield's catch totals and you'll see what I mean! He was a first-team pro bowler with catch numbers in the high 20s, and that was a small amount even then. It was because of the ypc. Obviously, Hogan is no Paul Warfield, but again, the ypc numbers along with the high catch rate are impressive. Brady definitely makes him look better - no doubt about that. But it wasn't all Brady.

I dredged it up because it is the case that he actually led the NFL in ypc this season, which is pretty remarkable. Of course, the QB is a big part of this, but in the first four games he was averaging a ton of ypc too. It's less about the number of catches than the impact catches. Check out Paul Warfield's catch totals and you'll see what I mean! He was a first-team pro bowler with catch numbers in the high 20s, and that was a small amount even then. It was because of the ypc. Obviously, Hogan is no Paul Warfield, but again, the ypc numbers along with the high catch rate are impressive. Brady definitely makes him look better - no doubt about that. But it wasn't all Brady.

Defenders dont even focus on him. Brady is the best QB in the history of the NFL. IT WAS ALL BRADY!

He's very likely to be benched in place of Michael Floyd.

Roflmgdao oh that was funny! He is in no danger of being benched! Especially for Floyd, if Floyd eats into anyone time it would be the rookie Mitchell who suffered a knee injury.

Agreed. It's a plus for him. Golden Tate would be a far more dangerous WR in the NE system.

Tate would be a Pro Bowler in NE.

Well its not just you, this thread has been on the front page the whole season for the most part.

And I agree it wasnt all Brady...it was mostly Brady and then also the system. It was way more about that then about Hogan IMO. Nothing against Hogan, but just being realistic about what we "lost"

Well its not just you, this thread has been on the front page the whole season for the most part.

And I agree it wasnt all Brady...it was mostly Brady and then also the system. It was way more about that then about Hogan IMO. Nothing against Hogan, but just being realistic about what we "lost"

yeah, fair points. I do think he's a much better player than Goodwin, though. He was a disappointment this season - he really struggled to get open.

I just went to YouTube and watched all four of Hogans TDs. No one covered him on three of them. They weren't great moves at the line or anything but blown coverages. All four he was open by five yards or more because no one was on him. Against the Cards, Ravens, and Bills when Gilmore just let him go and all Hogan did was run straight. The fourth, against the Rams, was a great twisting catch. Really great. Three of four he did nothing but run straight and catch a ball right to him with no one near him.

I just went to YouTube and watched all four of Hogans TDs. No one covered him on three of them. They weren't great moves at the line or anything but blown coverages. All four he was open by five yards or more because no one was on him. Against the Cards, Ravens, and Bills when Gilmore just let him go and all Hogan did was run straight. The fourth, against the Rams, was a great twisting catch. Really great. Three of four he did nothing but run straight and catch a ball right to him with no one near him.

You know how many players DROP those passes. Ugh to many. Hogan has been a great find, and I would not be shocked if Floyd replaced Amondola next year.

Piece of advice: don't just look at TDs!

yeah, fair points. I do think he's a much better player than Goodwin, though. He was a disappointment this season - he really struggled to get open.

He might be but he certainly doesn't command the attention that Goodwin does. He keeps safeties away from the LOS and that helps in the running game.

I would agree with you on that, he would be more dependable than Goodwin for us, especially from being available stand point, although I think Goodwin would put up more stats than Hogan in NE with that game breaking speed with Brady throwing him the ball

Piece of advice: don't just look at TDs!

I watched a lot of Pats games. I watched him play. He's a good fit for the Pats and still he's a Jag. If you're going to list the TDs as an important part of his game and to show he did well then I can look at them and say he didn't do much of anything on three and made a tremendous catch on the fourth.

but thats a big part of his YPC. pull that 80 yarder where he waltzed by everyone and hes out of the top 10 in YPC

One other was a 53 yarder no Bill really covered him on except Gilmore who gave up halfway through the route thinking there was safety help. The third was a 37 yarder no Cardinal covered him on.

I think it is hard to judge Hogan with NE and compare it to what he may have done In Buffalo, for a few reasons:

1. Pats have a lot more talent in the WR/TE and RB (catching the ball) than the bills so he is going see fewer targets because of it.

2. Brady is as many pointed out one of the GOAT and will make people look better.

3. IMO a damn amazing O Coordinator scheming plays that work best against an opponent.