Preseason Projections for the Bills' 2016 53 Man Roster

@TheBillsWire

Bills 53-man roster projection after 1st preseason game: https://t.co/MtYHb4OdPe

It may just be one game, but we certainly learned a lot about the Buffalo Bills following their 19-18 loss to the Indianapolis Colts on Saturday night. General manager Doug Whaley and coach Rex Ryan’s coaching staff will have the thankless task of cutting the roster down to 53 players before the start of the regular season.

Here’s a projection of the Bills’ 53-man depth chart after the first week of the 2016 preseason.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No W. Powell but keeps Salas and Dez?

Salas has had trouble with his hamstrings multiple times in the past. This is definitely something to keep an eye on. Certainly opens the door for all the other fringe WRs. Powell and Boykin took advantage to a degree. Boykin's stats were limited but both of his catches were difficult, sideline toe drag with no bobble and the 1 handed catch in traffic to score the last TD. Powell looked decent but honestly I was a little disappointed he didn't score on the crossing route from Jones.

Little didn't really do much, Hankerson was a mess and frankly Colter was interfered with twice with no flags but had a chance to make at least one of the plays and didn't.

No W. Powell but keeps Salas and Dez?

I'm not feeling the Salas love either.

Maybe he goes off in game 2 but if Woods is healthy at the end of camp I am not sure how important a back-up slot-specific type posession receiver who doesn't return kicks is.

I have said this before as well.........if and when they need a receiver later in the season there is a good chance Salas would still be available.

Salas if he proves himself healthy will still make the team I think. He started pre-season as the de-facto #3, it is up to the others to beat him out. Without Salas on Saturday only Powell really flashed anything and Rex has been clear that nobody has separated in camp.

If a couple of the guys go off in the rest of camp / pre-season then I can see a situation where Salas maybe ends up on the outside but that is a longshot at the moment. Sala might be the "safe" and unexciting choice but that doesn't always mean the wrong one.

Not going into the season with only a rookie at backup and you gain 0 cap space by releasing him.

Check your sarcasm detector...

Regarding the list...if Powell doesn't make this team at WR there's something going on in the background that none of us know anything about. Not only does he make plays, he appears to be a very smart player also.

My revised 53 after the 1st pre-season game. Players removed are struck through, players added in red.

QB: T. Taylor; EJ Manuel; C. Jones (3)
FB: J. Felton (1)
RB: L. McCoy; R. Bush; M Gillislee; J. Williams (4)
TE: C. Clay; C. Gragg; J. Dray B. Annen(3)
WR: S. Watkins; R. Woods; G. Salas; M. Goodwin; G. Little; D. Lewis, W. Powell (6)
OL: C. Glenn; R. Incognito; E. Wood; J. Miller; J. Mills; C. Koundjio; F. Velasco; R. Groy; (8) 25

DL: K. Williams; M. Dareus; A. Washington; J. Worthy; C. Bryant; L. Douzable (5 6)
OLB: J. Hughes; S. Lawson; M. Lawson; IK Enemkpali; L. Alexander; E. Striker; M. Valles (6 5)
ILB: P. Brown; Z. Brown; B. Spikes; R. Johnson, D. Hawthorne (4)
CB: S. Gilmore; R. Darby; N. Robey-Coleman; K. Seymour; M. Butler; S. Moore, C. White (6 5)
S: A. Williams; C. Graham; R. Blanton; J. Meeks, D. Williams (4) 25

K: D. Carpenter; J. Gay (1 2)
P. C. Schmidt (1)
LS: G. Sanborn (1) 3 4

Additional Non-Active: S. Lawson, M. Easley (PUP); K. Williams (Suspended first 4 weeks); R. Ragland & K. Listenbee (Injured Reserve); S. Henderson (Non-Football Illness); (5 6)

Edited by GunnerBill

Here's my first crack at the roster:

QB (3) - T. Taylor, E. Manuel, C. Jones

RB (4) - L. McCoy, M. Gilislee, R. Bush, J. Williams

FB (1) - J. Felton

WR (6) - S. Watkins, R. Woods, M. Goodwin, G. Salas, W. Powell, D. Lewis

TE (3) - C. Clay, C. Gragg, J. Dray

OT (3) - C. Glenn, J. Mills, C. Kouandjio

OG (3) - R. Incognito, J. Miller, R. Groy

C (2) - E. Wood, F. Velasco

K (2) - D. Carptenter, J. Gay

P (1) - C. Schmidt

LS (1) - G. Sanborn

DL (3) - C. Bryant, A. Washington, J. Worthy

DT (3) - M. Dareus, K. Williams, C. Walker

EDGE (4) - J. Hughes, M. Lawson, L. Alexander, E. Stryker

LB (4) - P. Brown, Z. Brown, B. Spikes, D. Hawthorne

CB (5) - S. Gilmore, R. Darby, N. Robey-Coleman, C. White, K. Seymour

S (5) - A. Williams, C. Graham, R. Blanton, C. Anderson, D. Williams

NFI - S. Henderson

PUP - S. Lawson, M. Easley

RES/SUS - K. Williams

IR - R. Ragland, I. Enemkpali

Edited by thebandit27

P (1) - C. Schmidt

LS (1) - G. Sanborn

NFI - S. Henderson

RES/SUS - K. Williams

I like this take, though I'm not sure about White personally. Otherwise it's hard to find a spot I'd have a different grouping.

P (1) - C. Schmidt

LS (1) - G. Sanborn

NFI - S. Henderson

RES/SUS - K. Williams

I like this. I'd like to keep Annen over Dray though. I don't mind dumping Felton, but without him I'm not sure who'd be the FB when one was needed. Maybe one of the TEs?

I like this. I'd like to keep Annen over Dray though. I don't mind dumping Felton, but without him I'm not sure who'd be the FB when one was needed. Maybe one of the TEs?

Forgot Felton...thanks.

I added him in since my original only showed 52. Good catch.

Forgot Felton...thanks.

I added him in since my original only showed 52. Good catch.

Thanks. Nice job on the list. I'm still hoping we can grab a vet WR with some gas left in the tank at cut downs to help fill out the WR corps. We just need some short term help there. Edited by BarleyNY

Think it says something about the make-up of the roster at this stage that Bandit and I only differ on the 3rd string Tight End on offense.

On defense (and I know we have been injury hit there) we differ on three guys and on the positional make up as well.

Think it says something about the make-up of the roster at this stage that Bandit and I only differ on the 3rd string Tight End on offense.

On defense (and I know we have been injury hit there) we differ on three guys and on the positional make up as well.

Yup. Nice job by you, too.

Are we really going to keep two kickers when the philosophy behind kickoffs has now changed to where you don't want to get an automatic touchback? Surely Carp can kick high to the corners as well as Gay.