TOD 8/11: Around the AFCE - who has the best D?

I think the Jets have the best personnel in the division. Williams/Richardson/Wilkerson are nuts. Big fan of Jenkins and Mauldin off the edge. Harris and Lee/Henderson will be serviceable at ILB. Biggest question is who partners Revis. Looks like Buster Skrine for now but Marcus Williams did okay last year. Williams outside, Skrine/McDougle in the slot would be pretty good. They don't have great depth though, any injury at CB/S would decimate them.

Patriots have some good pieces and will be well coached but I don't see them being stellar this year. Losing Ninkovich for a while is a blow. They'll probably rank top half in the league but nothing spectacular.

Miami could be a spectacular mess. Their front four could be pretty decent if healthy but, behind that, it's a whole bunch of yikes.

I'd put the Bills 2nd in the AFCE for now but it's incredibly close for me between 1st and 2nd. I expect them to be better than 2015 but injuries to Shaq/Reggie have brought my expectation level down a notch.

Edited by Blokestradamus

I think the Jets have the best personnel in the division. Williams/Richardson/Wilkerson are nuts. Big fan of Jenkins and Mauldin off the edge. Harris and Lee/Henderson will be serviceable at ILB. Biggest question is who partners Revis. Looks like Buster Skrine for now but Marcus Williams did okay last year. Williams outside, Skrine/McDougle in the slot would be pretty good. They don't have great depth though, any injury at CB/S would decimate them.

Patriots have some good pieces and will be well coached but I don't see them being stellar this year. Losing Ninkovich for a while is a blow. They'll probably rank top half in the league but nothing spectacular.

Miami could be a spectacular mess. Their front four could be pretty decent if healthy but, behind that, it's a whole bunch of yikes.

I'd put the Bills 2nd in the AFCE for now but it's incredibly close for me between 1st and 2nd. I expect them to be better than 2015 but injuries to Shaq/Reggie have brought my expectation level down a notch.

this :)

Jets for sure. Their front 3 is terrific, and they're deep.

The starting group of Wilkerson-Jenkins-Richardson can dominate, and having Leonard Williams and Steve McLendon behind them gives them an awesome rotation.

I'm less excited about the pass-rush tandem of Mauldin and Jordan Jenkins, but Bowles has made chicken salad before.

The corners, IMO, are the weak points. Revis can't lock down true #1s the way he used to (see week 17), and Skrine needs help too often. Milliner is approaching bust status.

Jets. I think Bowles is a really, really good defensive coach.

I also think people are sleeping on the Fins way too much. People would have killed to have Suh and Mario on the same team before last season.

It's really sad that the Bills aren't the best defense in our own division when I thought we were going to challenge for best in the NFL before last season. Sad.

Jets. I think Bowles is a really, really good defensive coach.

I also think people are sleeping on the Fins way too much. People would have killed to have Suh and Mario on the same team before last season.

It's really sad that the Bills aren't the best defense in our own division when I thought we were going to challenge for best in the NFL before last season. Sad.

Two classic underachieving and selfish players who are certainly not consistent despite being very talented.

Two classic underachieving and selfish players who are certainly not consistent despite being very talented.

Certainly I agree with this. But until Rex got here, there were zero problems with Mario. Suh, on the other hand, is a guy I'm not a giant fan of.

But talent wise, they are about as good of a DE- DT combo in the NFL. I just hope they won't suddenly become motivated this year.

Certainly I agree with this. But until Rex got here, there were zero problems with Mario. Suh, on the other hand, is a guy I'm not a giant fan of.

But talent wise, they are about as good of a DE- DT combo in the NFL. I just hope they won't suddenly become motivated this year.

They've both got huge chips on their shoulders and I, too, believe people are sleeping on Miami.

They've both got huge chips on their shoulders and I, too, believe people are sleeping on Miami.

As well they should. Talk about a "show me" team...they are likely to underwhelm again. If I read one more article about how Tanny "is ready to take the next step" because of Gase I might :sick:

As well they should. Talk about a "show me" team...they are likely to underwhelm again. If I read one more article about how Tanny "is ready to take the next step" because of Gase I might :sick:

I normally am the main person who craps on the Miami hype. But I don't think they really have any this year. I think Gase could be a good coach, their defense could be solid, and Tannehill could be a passable qb. I hate saying it but I love their over for wins this year.

If he takes it to a higher level than he took it last season, he'll be in MVP discussions. He had an awesome year. He's averaging about 4K yards/25 TDs per year over the past three seasons.

And he's never missed a game since becoming a starter (4 seasons).

The Jets' only real strength is the front 3. They have decent pieces otherwise, but the Bills have a better secondary and the Pats have a better LB corps. I love Bowles as a defensive coach, though, and he would be the reason the Jets defense outperforms the rest of the AFCE. I think the Patriots have a solid defense every year. Not flashy, but they get the job done. I guess I don't have a definitive answer here, but if the edge rushers in New York get it done they would be the pick.

If he takes it to a higher level than he took it last season, he'll be in MVP discussions. He had an awesome year. He's averaging about 4K yards/25 TDs per year over the past three seasons.

And he's never missed a game since becoming a starter (4 seasons).

:lol::lol:

The QB on your own team you love to hate outperformed Tanny in EVERY category besides gross yardage.

Maybe if Tanny had missed a few games the Fish would have won more than six.