TOD 8/7: Around the AFCE - is Ryan Tannehill a legit threat?

I've seen where he put significant effort into his mechanics during the off-season -with highly regarded indtructors. Like any NFL QB, he can be very accurate when given time to set his feet and deliver. We've been able to really push the pocket and rattle him (for the most part) due mostly to getting up on them early, forcing him to throw. The fish haven't had a consistent rushing game since the days of Butch & Sundance. It looks to me that this is why they emphasize garnering Defensive stars -in order to keep Tannehill from having to play from behind so much. The one game they beat us a couple years ago, he looked very good playing with the lead.

So 'Can he be'? Naw...

He's a bit of an enigma...his numbers aren't awful but no, he never "strikes fear" into an opponent. I don't know the answer, but how many QBs who have started their entire career suddenly become all-stars in their 5th season? Seems like you either know by now or you don't.

He is a wildcard right now...truly we don't know...

He has been so poorly coached and so limited by what his OC's allowed him to do(no audiblizing out of bad plays, etc) its hard to know how much of an effect Adam Gase will have on him...I think he will have SOME positive effect on him, but its really hard to tell how much is on Tannehill just not having it together and how much was on coaching in the past...

It will be interesting for sure...Tannehill has been VERY good at times, but just as often he has been awful...he is kinda like a much better version of EJ Manuel in that you never know what you are getting game to game from him.

He's categorically unable to play against Buffalo, so that skews my perception of him.

I say he's bottom-third of the starters in the league; same echelon in which I have Tyrod at the moment.

Tyrod is no worse than middle of the pack with significant upside...

his deep ball alone puts him ahead of a lot of people...possibly the best deep ball in the NFL, and if not, definitely top 3.

his deep ball alone puts him ahead of a lot of people...possibly the best deep ball in the NFL, and if not, definitely top 3.

He's got a great deep ball, and he did a nice job for a 1st year starter.

That he couldn't win against the better teams and had a record of 0-5 when throwing 30 or more passes doesn't put him in the top-20 for me.

I've said repeatedly that folks should feel free to rank the starting QBs from 1 to 32 in an honest assessment--I did so and couldn't find a way to get Tyrod into the top 17. His reasonable range IMO is 18-25.

He's got a great deep ball, and he did a nice job for a 1st year starter.

That he couldn't win against the better teams and had a record of 0-5 when throwing 30 or more passes doesn't put him in the top-20 for me.

I've said repeatedly that folks should feel free to rank the starting QBs from 1 to 32 in an honest assessment--I did so and couldn't find a way to get Tyrod into the top 17. His reasonable range IMO is 18-25.

I tend to agree with matter here. Middle of the pack with significant upside.

If I had to do it right here and now, this is what I came up with:

"Elite"

1. Rodgers

2. Brady

3. Big Ben

4. Cam

5. Wilson

6. Palmer

7. Brees

"Great"

8. Romo

9. Rivers

10. Ryan

11. Carr

12. Dalton

13. Luck

"Show Me One More Year of That"

14. Cousins

15. Bortles

16. Tyrod

17. Winston

"Adequate/Reliable"

18. Alex Smith

19. Eli Manning

20. Joe Flacco

21. Teddy

"Erratic/Unreliable"

22. Stafford

23. Cutler

24. Tanny

25. Fitz

26. Bradford

"Unknown/Question Marks"

27. Mariota

28. Sanchez

29. Osweiler

30. Gabbert/Kap

31. RGIII

32. Goff/Keenum

Some # rankings are loosely ordered and I've tried to organize it into tiers that god beyond the "elite/very good/good/not very good" framework. You have your elite QBs, your great-but-not-world-class QBs, and then after that it's really subjective how you want to rank them. For me, I think the QBs that have shown they have the skillset to enter the upper echelons but had some inconsistencies in the early goings deserve a higher rank than the reliable, decent guys. Flacco and Manning are good enough to get you a ring with a sturdy defense and have shown the ability to turn it up come playoff time, but their regular season performances, especially the past couple years, leaves much to be desired. After that it's a mix of erratic but talented QBs and a pool of unknowns or guys who have looked bad recently.

"Elite"

1. Rodgers

2. Brady

3. Big Ben

4. Cam

5. Wilson

6. Palmer

7. Brees

"Great"

8. Romo

9. Rivers

10. Ryan

11. Carr

12. Dalton

13. Luck

14. Cousins

15. Bortles

16. Tyrod

17. Winston

"Adequate/Reliable"

18. Alex Smith

19. Eli Manning

20. Joe Flacco

21. Teddy

"Erratic/Unreliable"

22. Stafford

23. Cutler

24. Tanny

25. Fitz

26. Bradford

"Unknown/Question Marks"

27. Mariota

28. Sanchez

29. Osweiler

30. Gabbert/Kap

31. RGIII

32. Goff/Keenum

Some # rankings are loosely ordered and I've tried to organize it into tiers that god beyond the "elite/very good/good/not very good" framework. You have your elite QBs, your great-but-not-world-class QBs, and then after that it's really subjective how you want to rank them. For me, I think the QBs that have shown they have the skillset to enter the upper echelons but had some inconsistencies in the early goings deserve a higher rank than the reliable, decent guys. Flacco and Manning are good enough to get you a ring with a sturdy defense and have shown the ability to turn it up come playoff time, but their regular season performances, especially the past couple years, leaves much to be desired. After that it's a mix of erratic but talented QBs and a pool of unknowns or guys who have looked bad recently.

Pretty good, not sure about some, like Palmer.

"Elite"

1. Rodgers

2. Brady

3. Big Ben

4. Cam

5. Wilson

6. Palmer

7. Brees

"Great"

8. Romo

9. Rivers

10. Ryan

11. Carr

12. Dalton

13. Luck

14. Cousins

15. Bortles

16. Tyrod

17. Winston

"Adequate/Reliable"

18. Alex Smith

19. Eli Manning

20. Joe Flacco

21. Teddy

"Erratic/Unreliable"

22. Stafford

23. Cutler

24. Tanny

25. Fitz

26. Bradford

"Unknown/Question Marks"

27. Mariota

28. Sanchez

29. Osweiler

30. Gabbert/Kap

31. RGIII

32. Goff/Keenum

Pretty good list, but I wouldn't call any one of Dalton, Carr, Ryan, or Luck great.

Pretty good, not sure about some, like Palmer.

Palmer was incredible last year and really has been one of the league's top QBs in his time with Arizona. Health is a concern, but with him at QB all season the Cardinals were 2nd in both pass yards and points scored. And if you watch the games, he is surgical. Larry Fitz, Michael Floyd and John Brown may be one of the best threesomes in the NFL, but I think Palmer makes that group better more so than the other way around.