dicesare's right to smell rat in peter king piece

dave mcbride

Sam Wyche.

Regardless of what i think of bledsoe's play, dicesare is absolutely right on. that piece by king stinks of skullduggery. (on a somewhat related note, recall that the highly erroneous 20-20 hindsight piece king recently wrote trashing lawyer milloy looks a lot like payback for milloy's lying to him about contractual dealings (in august 03) with the skins prior to the pats cuttting him (and why shouldn't he have lied about this topic to a national reporter?). as well, as GG pointed out, king got the facts wrong about the wind, which suggests that someone with motives to trash bledsoe dreamed it up knowing king would never check. my guess as to the culprit: sam wyche, who has longstanding connections to the national media. wyche makes a lot of sense, since he's a huge booster of j.p. and is a fly-off-the-handle sort of guy. most crucially, check out this puff piece on wyche one year ago by king:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writ...yche/index.html

also, check this early 2005 column out, which shows that king has clearly stayed in contact with wyche:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writ...mqb.moss.part2/

key quote:

4. I think one of my favorite stories from the season, looking back, is how Sam Wyche, the quarterbacks coach in Buffalo, got his guys to relax. Sometimes, not every day, when Wyche sensed his QBs were nodding off and not paying attention, he'd pull out the airline pillows he bought for them (you know the ones that fit snugly around your neck so you can, theoretically, fall asleep sitting up practically anywhere), turn off the lights, have them turn their chairs around to see a large beach-scene picture at the back of the meeting room, and call out, "Power nap time!'' Fifteen minutes later, he'd rouse them and they'd be back to work.

Sam Wyche.

Regardless of what i think of bledsoe's play, dicesare is absolutely right on. that piece by king stinks of skullduggery. (on a somewhat related note, recall that the highly erroneous 20-20 hindsight piece king recently wrote trashing lawyer milloy looks a lot like payback for milloy's lying to him about contractual dealings (in august 03) with the skins prior to the pats cuttting him (and why shouldn't he have lied about this topic to a national reporter?).  as well, as GG pointed out, king got the facts wrong about the wind, which suggests that someone with motives to trash bledsoe dreamed it up knowing king would never check.  my guess as to the culprit: sam wyche, who has longstanding connections to the national media.  wyche makes a lot of sense, since he's a huge booster of j.p. and is a fly-off-the-handle sort of guy. most crucially, check out this puff piece on wyche one year ago by king:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writ...yche/index.html

also, check this early 2005 column out, which shows that king has clearly stayed in contact with wyche:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writ...mqb.moss.part2/

key quote:

4. I think one of my favorite stories from the season, looking back, is how Sam Wyche, the quarterbacks coach in Buffalo, got his guys to relax. Sometimes, not every day, when Wyche sensed his QBs were nodding off and not paying attention, he'd pull out the airline pillows he bought for them (you know the ones that fit snugly around your neck so you can, theoretically, fall asleep sitting up practically anywhere), turn off the lights, have them turn their chairs around to see a large beach-scene picture at the back of the meeting room, and call out, "Power nap time!'' Fifteen minutes later, he'd rouse them and they'd be back to work.

248321[/snapback]

Maybe true that Wyche is he source but probably false ranging from someone else is the source to King's version of Chinese telephone with a story Wyche told. This is way to theoretical to me much of an issue for a Bills fan regarding a player who ain't here no more.

Maybe true that Wyche is he source but probably false ranging from someone else is the source to King's version of Chinese telephone with a story Wyche told.  This is way to theoretical to me much of an issue for a Bills fan regarding a player who ain't here no more.

248329[/snapback]

That's really what it comes down to for me as well.

I enjoyed the article, it was a great read... but Drew is yesterday's news.

I still don't get what purpose it serves to leak this story now, after Bledsoe is already gone? And if the coaches are the ones making the decision about who starts at QB, and they decided on JP, what does Wyche have to gain from this story getting out? The media plays no role in influencing who starts for us at QB.

I still don't get what purpose it serves to leak this story now, after Bledsoe is already gone? And if the coaches are the ones making the decision about who starts at QB, and they decided on JP, what does Wyche have to gain from this story getting out? The media plays no role in influencing who starts for us at QB.

248362[/snapback]

It does if JP fails and Drew does well elsewhere. They can always fll back on it and say there were other issues why Drew was really gone.

248362[/snapback]

payback for something, i suspect. it's pretty inarguable that it's vindictive and intended to do bledsoe harm as he seeks another job. and it's from someone in the know who isn't hitched to bledsoe personally yet has to deal with him. since donohoe, modrak, and john guy ultimately are the guys responsible for bringing bledsoe here, they have nothing to gain from this - it just makes them look bad. clements and mularkey don't seem like the type. wyche does, and recall that he's pretty protective of mularkey (he got him started in his coaching career).

clements and mularkey don't seem like the type.  wyche does, and recall that he's pretty protective of mularkey (he got him started in his coaching career).

248367[/snapback]

He does? I don't know the man, but just about everything I've read about him seems to paint him in a good light.

Sam Wyche.

as GG pointed out, king got the facts wrong about the wind, which suggests that someone with motives to trash bledsoe dreamed it up knowing king would never check. 

248321[/snapback]

Where do you get he got the facts wrong? Who's GG?

GG is google guy.  :P

248404[/snapback]

So the whole King Article was false? I don't buy it. Dicesare would have pointed that out (about the wind) if it weren't true. The fact that Dicesare doesn't offer anything to disprove King's article proves the accuracy of the King piece.

The question Dicesare is asking is "who leaked it and why". My answer: Who gives a damn. If I were TD I would leak that too. Drew deserves to get torn to pieces for a stunt like that...especially if it was symptomatic of his attitude in general towards his coaches and teammates.

So the whole King Article was false? I don't buy it. Dicesare would have pointed that out (about the wind) if it weren't true. The fact that Dicesare doesn't offer anything to disprove King's article proves the accuracy of the King piece.

The question Dicesare is asking is "who leaked it and why". My answer: Who gives a damn. If I were TD I would leak that too. Drew deserves to get torn to pieces for a stunt like that...especially if it was symptomatic of his attitude in general towards his coaches and teammates.

248413[/snapback]

Who cares "against the wind"? You still have 2 quarters with and 2 quarters against the wind, there is no changing that fact. The Bills defense sucked that day and it didn't matter if we were going west in the 1st and 3rd or 2nd and 4th.

Who cares "against the wind"?  You still have 2 quarters with and 2 quarters against the wind, there is no changing that fact.  The Bills defense sucked that day and it didn't matter if we were going west in the 1st and 3rd or 2nd and 4th.

248427[/snapback]

I'm not saying the wind cost the Bills the game. I'm saying it speaks volumes about Drew if he goes out there and intentionally disobeyes the coaches. It goes beyond arrogant. It is flat out poor leadership. How could you possibly defend Drew's actions?

Combine that with Drew's PC and comments about JP, and it shows me there was a lot of trouble brewing behind the scenes that we weren't privy too. I'm not saying Drew is a bad guy, but it seems to me like he had worn out his welcome with teammates and coaches.

So, I say again, good riddence.

payback for something, i suspect. it's pretty inarguable that it's vindictive and intended to do bledsoe harm as he seeks another job.  and it's from someone in the know who isn't hitched to bledsoe personally yet has to deal with him.  since donohoe, modrak, and john guy ultimately are the guys responsible for bringing bledsoe here, they have nothing to gain from this - it just makes them look bad. clements and mularkey don't seem like the type.  wyche does, and recall that he's pretty protective of mularkey (he got him started in his coaching career).

248367[/snapback]

I give your theory some creedance (I have my source at One Bills Drive), but my only question would be, hasn't Peter King been one of Bledsoe's biggest national media supporters? I could be wrong, but I seem to remember him gushing over all things Bledsoe over the years...

Upon further review, isn't it possible that TD is the source his own self?

DeCeserie correctly points out, TD has a history of not being very loyal to his players. I won't call into question TD's abilities as a GM, but I have always been a little surprised by how he has treated some of these guys, on their way out....as much as we all wanted RJ gone, I seem to remember (my memory is a liittle fuzzy on the specifics now) that TD said some pretty crappy things about him, after making a pitch to keep him...

Upon further review, isn't it possible that TD is the source his own self?

DeCeserie correctly points out, TD has a history of not being very loyal to his players.  I won't call into question TD's abilities as a GM, but I have always been a little surprised by how he has treated some of these guys, on their way out....as much as we all wanted RJ gone, I seem to remember (my memory is a liittle fuzzy on the specifics now) that TD said some pretty crappy things about him, after making a pitch to keep him...

248451[/snapback]

Good. I want a manager that cuts the fluff.

I'm not saying the wind cost the Bills the game. I'm saying it speaks volumes about Drew if he goes out there and intentionally disobeyes the coaches. It goes beyond arrogant. It is flat out poor leadership. How could you possibly defend Drew's actions?

Combine that with Drew's PC and comments about JP, and it shows me there was a lot of trouble brewing behind the scenes that we weren't privy too. I'm not saying Drew is a bad guy, but it seems to me like he had worn out his welcome with teammates and coaches.

248435[/snapback]

The wind was not a factor that day at all. But since King made a point of introducing it as a major factor for coaches being pi&&ed at Bledsoe, at least he should have checked the facts.

My theory of the rat is Donahoe himself, aided by the coaching staff. King zeroed in on three games where DB was absolutely pathetic, where a caual fan could observe that the defense & special teams didn't bail him out. I can only imagine what the coaches dissecting in the post-game film room.

The reason I think the administration is trashing DB is the hard stance he took in his contract renegotiation last year. To get a $8mil payday in '04, after a horrendous '03 was truly bizarre to me, and I'm sure it didn't sit well with Wilson as well.

I'm guessing that much of the sour grapes emanating from OBD are contract related, and people who spend $8mil on a bum, should have the right to quietly call the guy a bum :P

The wind was not a factor that day at all.  But since King made a point of introducing it as a major factor for coaches being pi&&ed at Bledsoe, at least he should have checked the facts.

My theory of the rat is Donahoe himself, aided by the coaching staff.  King zeroed in on three games where DB was absolutely pathetic, where a caual fan could observe that the defense & special teams didn't bail him out.  I can only imagine what the coaches dissecting in the post-game film room.

The reason I think the administration is trashing DB is the hard stance he took in his contract renegotiation last year.  To get a $8mil payday in '04, after a horrendous '03 was truly bizarre to me, and I'm sure it didn't sit well with Wilson as well. 

I'm guessing that much of the sour grapes emanating from OBD are contract related, and people who spend $8mil on a bum, should have the right to quietly call the guy a bum :w00t:

248506[/snapback]

Its just seems odd that all the important facts in this story are wrong. Becasue of this I can't really take the story seriously.

I don't doubt that Drew often felt the presure pull out the big play led to some of his problems, but I have never heard of him intentionally going over a coaches head in the 12 years he's been in the league.

Drew got old, his brain was writing check his arm was no longer able to cash. End of story. If the Bills were so upset with his character, why did MM and TD try so hard to get him to stay as a back up.

The wind was not a factor that day at all.  But since King made a point of introducing it as a major factor for coaches being pi&&ed at Bledsoe, at least he should have checked the facts.

My theory of the rat is Donahoe himself, aided by the coaching staff.  King zeroed in on three games where DB was absolutely pathetic, where a caual fan could observe that the defense & special teams didn't bail him out.  I can only imagine what the coaches dissecting in the post-game film room.

The reason I think the administration is trashing DB is the hard stance he took in his contract renegotiation last year.  To get a $8mil payday in '04, after a horrendous '03 was truly bizarre to me, and I'm sure it didn't sit well with Wilson as well. 

I'm guessing that much of the sour grapes emanating from OBD are contract related, and people who spend $8mil on a bum, should have the right to quietly call the guy a bum :w00t:

248506[/snapback]

gerry, i really don't think it was donohoe - it's really not his style. when he lets someone go, he's very tightlipped (rob johnson, neil o'donnell, holocek, henry jones, etc.) and has a longstanding reputation of keeping in touch with former players (sending them cards and letters). my sense is that he's pretty straitlaced when it comes to these matters.

I give your theory some creedance (I have my source at One Bills Drive), but my only question would be, hasn't Peter King been one of Bledsoe's biggest national media supporters?  I could be wrong, but I seem to remember him gushing over all things Bledsoe over the years...

248436[/snapback]

king hasn't said anything nice lately about bledsoe, though. he was positively withering in his assessment of bledsoe's play in the pittsburgh game (which king attended):

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writ...03/mmqb.week17/

Goat of the Week

Buffalo QB Drew Bledsoe. A grim, dinosaur-like performance by a guy who, when confronted by a confusing, attacking defense (New England, Pittsburgh) looks too old to be really good anymore.

248506[/snapback]

absolutely correct.

If Drew was such a standup team guy, he would have voluntarily deferred that $2 mil option payment from November 2004 to the end of the year and played under his old contract. Good play would have resulted in a good contract.

Instead, he forced the Bills to extend him and cut his pay to $8.75 mil.

For the effort, TD expected to get at least marginal production for 2004 and 2005.

Now, he has to eat the dead money because Drew is more of a liablility than an asset.

I don't care anymore what DB did or said during his tenure here in Buffalo. I don't care if he screwed up the coin flip, stunk up the john, drinks PBR, has no pocket presence, can't move, etc....   

WHO FUGGIN' CARES...He is ancient history.

248715[/snapback]

WHY THE FUG is his name still on the 2005 roster on buffalobills.com?

I want it gone by 5 PM! :w00t:

248435[/snapback]

The reaction to that story just shows that the ant-Drew hysteria still lingers on even after he is gone.

Even if you believe King who thus far is the only source that this event happened at all, the story he told is that when he got out on the field Drew thought the wind was coming from a different direction than they thought. Now, if you are Drew and the wind is coming from the opposite direction than was thought once you got out to the field, what would you do? Would you conclude that your ability to sense wind direction was somehow freakishly defective and just blindly go with the original call despite all your senses telling you the wind direction had changed? Or, would you conclude that as your senses tell you, the wind has in fact changed?

It isn't like he had a bat phone to pick up and ask MM: "Hey, the wind out here is coming from the opposite direction, what should I do?" It wasn't a "stunt" it was a judgment call he made on the spot based on what he believed to be true.

If a sweep to the right is called and in the middle of the play Willis cuts the opposite way because, as he percieved it, the called direction of the play was going nowhere, would you accuse him of pulling off a "stunt"??

The eagerness with which so many here have embraced this unsourced gossip from King as gospel truth and of sufficient truth to blast Bledsoe is shameful. We watched this guy lead the team for 3 years and, say what you want about his foot speed or touch on short passes, he always conducted himself honorably and with dignity. To accept as true a gossipy story from a hack like King that completely flies in the face of what we have seen up close now for 3 years is childish.

It sounds to me like the worst kind of scapegoating after one of the most embarassing losses in franchise history.

The reaction to that story just shows that the ant-Drew hysteria still lingers on even after he is gone.

Even if you believe King who thus far is the only source that this event happened at all, the story he told is that when he got out on the field Drew thought the wind was coming from a different direction than they thought.  Now, if you are Drew and the wind is coming from the opposite direction than was thought once you got out to the field, what would you do?  Would you conclude that your ability to sense wind direction was somehow freakishly defective and just blindly go with the original call despite all your senses telling you the wind direction had changed?  Or, would you conclude that as your senses tell you, the wind has in fact changed?

It isn't like he had a bat phone to pick up and ask MM: "Hey, the wind out here is coming from the opposite direction, what should I do?"  It wasn't a "stunt" it was a judgment call he made on the spot based on what he believed to be true.

If a sweep to the right is called and in the middle of the play Willis cuts the opposite way because, as he percieved it, the called direction of the play was going nowhere, would you accuse him of pulling off a "stunt"?? 

The eagerness with which so many here have embraced this unsourced gossip from King as gospel truth and of sufficient truth to blast Bledsoe is shameful.  We watched this guy lead the team for 3 years and, say what you want about his foot speed or touch on short passes, he always conducted himself honorably and with dignity.  To accept as true a gossipy story from a hack like King that completely flies in the face of what we have seen up close now for 3 years is childish.

It sounds to me like the worst kind of scapegoating after one of the most embarassing losses in franchise history.

248770[/snapback]

Here, here! Leave it to Mickey to get it right!

Even if you believe King who thus far is the only source that this event happened at all, the story he told is that when he got out on the field Drew thought the wind was coming from a different direction than they thought.  Now, if you are Drew and the wind is coming from the opposite direction than was thought once you got out to the field, what would you do?  Would you conclude that your ability to sense wind direction was somehow freakishly defective and just blindly go with the original call despite all your senses telling you the wind direction had changed?  Or, would you conclude that as your senses tell you, the wind has in fact changed?

It isn't like he had a bat phone to pick up and ask MM: "Hey, the wind out here is coming from the opposite direction, what should I do?"  It wasn't a "stunt" it was a judgment call he made on the spot based on what he believed to be true.

The eagerness with which so many here have embraced this unsourced gossip from King as gospel truth and of sufficient truth to blast Bledsoe is shameful.  We watched this guy lead the team for 3 years and, say what you want about his foot speed or touch on short passes, he always conducted himself honorably and with dignity.  To accept as true a gossipy story from a hack like King that completely flies in the face of what we have seen up close now for 3 years is childish.

248770[/snapback]

Finally. Someone who makes sense.

I disagree. I think this is a very minor point and had little to do with the outcome of the Steelers loss. However, the point King makes (and he makes this relatively clear) was that this parallels a problem that many coaches have found with Drew Bledsoe: he is stubborn. It is virtually impossible to get him to settle for that dump off pass when the big play isn't there... all too often, he sits back looking for a big play even when instructed not to. Look at the Pittsburgh game when he fumbled the ball away for a TD. Same thing happened against New England.

Bottom line, Bledsoe is stubborn. And that was the point the article was making. And as far as that assessment is concerned, I agree.

To accept as true a gossipy story from a hack like King that completely flies in the face of what we have seen up close now for 3 years is childish.

248770[/snapback]