Don't expect Rex or Whaley to be fired in the offseason

For those that think either Rex Ryan and/or Doug Whaley will be fired in the offseason if the Bills fail to make the playoffs, it's not going to happen. Both Kim Pegula and Russ Brandon stated on WGR550 that they believe in continuity and this is only year 2 in the Pegula/Whaley/Ryan era.

http://media.wgr550.com/a/116124419/07-28-bills-president-russ-brandon-on-the-john-murphy-show.htm?pageid=1114062

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two years is nowhere enough time.

What complete and utter nonsense. In the past four years alone, there have been plenty of head coaches sacked after two years on the job, or even less. Rex came into Buffalo on a major losing streak; he was hardly a blank slate, an up and coming coordinator with no track-record. If this team has a bad year, Rex is gone, pure and simple, although it's possible that he sticks around if the Bills miss the playoffs in non-embarrassing fashion. Nothing the Pegulas say now--before training camp even opens--changes that.

Edited by mannc

What complete and utter nonsense. In the past four years alone, there have been plenty of head coaches sacked after two years on the job, or even less. Rex came into Buffalo on a major losing streak; he was hardly a blank slate, an up and coming coordinator with no track-record. If this team has a bad year, Rex is gone, pure and simple, although it's possible that he sticks around if the Bills miss the playoffs in non-embarrassing fashion. Nothing the Pegulas say now--before training camp even opens--changes that.

Sanity.

Hope you're right!

So how many of those teams that did fire the coach/GM after less than 3 years actually improved when the brought the next guy in? Seems to be working great in Cleveland. I think unless the Bills completely collapse this year, he'll likely be back for another year. Having you're #1 draft pick miss potentially all or part of the season also tends to give Rex a mulligan to some level.

And look at how those teams are still doing...terrible! Cleveland has a history with Haslam of constantly firing coaches quickly and how well has that worked for them?

Look at the Pegula's track record with the Sabres. They're not the type to make quick, irrational decisions. Also, the Pegula's don't see this as year #16 like the rest of us Bills fans, they see this as year #2. So while others in the media feel that if Rex and Doug don't make the playoffs this year that they're going to be fired, they're just trying to stir the pot in hopes that ownership will listen to them and act upon it. Sorry, but the Pegula's are patient people and even Kim Pegula and Russ Brandon confirmed it on the radio.

So how many of those teams that did fire the coach/GM after less than 3 years actually improved when the brought the next guy in? Seems to be working great in Cleveland. I think unless the Bills completely collapse this year, he'll likely be back for another year. Having you're #1 draft pick miss potentially all or part of the season also tends to give Rex a mulligan to some level.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Edited by Jerry Jabber

Continuity is only good if it's continuity of something good. This season should be make or break, especially since it was management that broke it in the first place.

Second-best season in ten years in Year #1 of this coaching staff. And we're already talking about make-or-break going into Year #2?

That doesn't make much sense to me.

Could you please go back and look at how most of those teams are doing?

Hardly a success

For those that think either Rex Ryan and/or Doug Whaley will be fired in the offseason if the Bills fail to make the playoffs, it's not going to happen. Both Kim Pegula and Russ Brandon stated on WGR550 that they believe in continuity and this is only year 2 in the Pegula/Whaley/Ryan era.

http://media.wgr550.com/a/116124419/07-28-bills-president-russ-brandon-on-the-john-murphy-show.htm?pageid=1114062

I have a feeling that can change in a hurry

Second-best season in ten years in Year #1 of this coaching staff. And we're already talking about make-or-break going into Year #2?

That doesn't make much sense to me.

The Bills were in position to be successful and chose the switch defensive philosophy willingly. That rendered 2015 a lost year as some key players were reaching their peaks on cheap deals.

The window for that is closing. If they can't get it done this year, what hope do we have that this team will be good under them with $30-odd million a year tied up at QB/CB?

If the talent is there but the coaching isn't (ie. another .500 or so season missing the playoffs), surely fresh impetus would be required.

And look at how those teams are still doing...terrible! Cleveland has a history with Haslam of constantly firing coaches quickly and how well has that worked for them?

Look at the Pegula's track record with the Sabres. They're not the type to make quick, irrational decisions. Also, the Pegula's don't see this as year #16 like the rest of us Bills fans, they see this as year #2. So while others in the media feel that if Rex and Doug don't make the playoffs this year that they're going to be fired, they're just trying to stir the pot in hopes that ownership will listen to them and act upon it. Sorry, but the Pegula's are patient people and even Kim Pegula and Russ Brandon confirmed it on the radio.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

So Cleveland should have had more patience with Shurmer, Chudzinski and Pettine? Got it. The problem is that they made lousy hiring decisions to begin with, not that they did not give guys a chance to succeed. Of course their drafting history has been lousy, too . . . The fact that the Browns suck hardly means the Pegulas should give Rex more time if the team sucks this year.

When I saw this thread I thought someone resurrected it from the end of last season.

Could you please go back and look at how most of those teams are doing?

Hardly a success

Sorry, I'm not inclined to go back and research it for your benefit. But maybe you can tell us which coaches that were fired after two years or less have gone on to stunning success elsewhere.

Things like this are completely meaningless at this point. Let the season play out.

I hated everything about Rex in year 1 after loving the hire. But I'm totally fine to see if he has learned from last year (though I still wish he would shut up to the media). But there is no progress, why would we keep sticking by a guy who has been below average since his first 2 seasons in NJ?

And although he's had his misses, I think Whaley is one of the best young GMs in the NFL. I don't think he has had full control over a coaching hire yet. If Rex fails, I'd fire him and let Whaley hire his own guy.

For the people saying 2 years isn't enough, this isn't the 80s anymore. Teams turn around quick all the time. Hire coaches who don't need 5 years to get the players to run their "system."

Fans seem to think year 1 coaches can't be successful.

It simply isn't true. Not sure why fans would be upset if Rex and co were fired if we have another lousy/mediocre season.

I used to be guilty of this. I wanted to give Jauron and Gailey more time. But it was painful obvious they just weren't great coaches. And I would argue both accomplished more with their talent than Rex did last year.

If he has another 8-8 or worse season, it seems more likely that he is a below average coach. Those first 2 seasons were the flukes, including going 9-7 and making the playoffs (the Jetswent 10-6 and missed this year).

The Cardinals went from 5-11 to 10-6 in Brice Arians first year. Bills fans need to stop settling for average to below average. Rex's mouth makes people believe he is a better coach than the results have shown. Hopefully, he has s great year. But he needs to prove it and not just say it.