TOD 7/29: Kim Pegula - active owner? Is this good?

For anyone confused, Rex was a Pegula hire. Whaley was on board with Hue Jackson, keeping Schwartz as DC.

Due to all the other businesses that they are involved in and didn't want to be overwhelmed by taking on the enormous task of running an NFL team it looks like the new owners kept the entire staff that ran the team under the first owner. At first, it was reported in the media that these new owners were going to hire a "football czar" / senior adviser to help run the football side of things.

Clearly, that didn't happen and we can only surmise that CEO Russ Brandon wanted to keep the status quo and lobbied to do so. I can only think that out of respect for what he has done in the past that the new owners did what Brandon wanted as he helped advise them in choosing a new head coach as he did with the first owner for quite a few years.

"It was almost a year ago, in early January, when the Buffalo Bills called Rex Ryan back for a second interview for their head-coaching vacancy. Team president Russ Brandon was so impressed that he told owner Terry Pegula not to let Ryan out of the building." http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/22828/playoff-promise-among-rex-ryan-statements-that-will-likely-prove-false

More than anyone else I think we all have Russ Brandon to thank for these new owners making the decision to take part in the hiring of the next head coach after Doug Marrone walked away. While Brandon might not have made the actual hiring of Rex Ryan, it sure looks like he used his considerable influence to have the Pegula's be involved in the interview process and do the hiring.

According to Bill Polian, who had been in contact with Terry Pegula as he was almost hired to be the Buffalo Bills senior adviser / team president of football operations before Marrone walked away. Then after Marrone was no longer the Bills head coach and QB Kyle Orton retired Polian then stated it would be far too much of a daunting task to take on as senior adviser / team president, so he backed out of the job.

(I dunno about Whaley wanting anyone other than Rex Ryan as I haven't seen any actual proof in the media of him stating that afaik.)

Anyway, what I'm hoping for is that if Rex Ryan fails to get this team to a winning record this season, and shows that all the problems he had last season are not corrected this season. That the Pegula's take themselves and Russ Brandon out of the football decision process by hiring a president of football operations and allow whomever that is to hire the next Buffalo Bills head coach and run the football side of things.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was reported by a couple of sources a while ago. Let me try and dig them up.

No luck with a quick search. I'll dig deeper for them when I get a chance.

it was also posted here by K-9 that Schwartz was only interested in returning if it was HC. So if true, Whaley's choice, at least as far as DC, wasn't a viable option. Edited by YoloinOhio

it was also posted here by K-9 that Schwartz was only interested in returning if it was HC. So if true, Whaley's choice, at least as far as DC, wasn't a viable option.

It's quite possible. I can't find it through Twitter, which is where I'm certain I saw it. Possibly been deleted/retracted. It was before last season started, can't remember for the life of me who tweeted it (was someone with a national platform).

Trying to wade through a "Whaley Jackson" Twitter search after the Fred debacle is a nightmare!

EDIT: Apparently Mike Silver mentioned Hue thought he had the job, would've pitched to keep Schwartz as DC. As close to confirmation of any Schwartz DC rumour as I can find.

Edited by Blokestradamus

It was reported by a couple of sources a while ago. Let me try and dig them up.

No luck with a quick search. I'll dig deeper for them when I get a chance.

I really think that all it takes is some logical thinking.

Whaley built a defense that Schwartz helped make great. It was a great defense because of the players Whaley brought in and how they fit into Schwartz's scheme.

Why on earth would Whaley say, "you know what? I think I'll bring in Rex Ryan, who has a completely different defensive scheme - one in which the players that I brought here will not succeed. And hopefully ... just dreaming here ... he'll bring in his super unsuccessful brother to help."

Makee no sensee. No need linky to see.

I really think that all it takes is some logical thinking.

Whaley built a defense that Schwartz helped make great. It was a great defense because of the players Whaley brought in and how they fit into Schwartz's scheme.

Why on earth would Whaley say, "you know what? I think I'll bring in Rex Ryan, who has a completely different defensive scheme - one in which the players that I brought here will not succeed. And hopefully ... just dreaming here ... he'll bring in his super unsuccessful brother to help."

Makee no sensee. No need linky to see.

Coming from you, that's the definition of oxymoron.

It's one thing to safely presume Whaley didn't want to "upset the applecart" on defense...it's quite another to believe he (or anyone) would have predicted Rex's system would not be [applicable to] / [take longer to learn for] the talented players on the roster, or that Mario would become a petulant child (undermining the process).

Why does it even matter? I have seen no evidence of tension between Whaley and Rex. They seem to sincerely compliment each other at every turn.

It's one thing to safely presume Whaley didn't want to "upset the applecart" on defense...it's quite another to believe he (or anyone) would have predicted Rex's system would not be [applicable to] / [take longer to learn for] the talented players on the roster, or that Mario would become a petulant child (undermining the process).

Why does it even matter? I have seen no evidence of tension between Whaley and Rex. They seem to sincerely compliment each other at every turn.

I think the logical point is that any upheaval of your positive unit would be less than ideal. Schwartz staying would've been the definition of 'continuity of good'. I don't think Whaley is anti-Rex at all, just possibly resentful that he's having to pull a rabbit out of his hat again to save the day. Which, to his credit, he seems to have done with Shaq/Reggie.

I think the Mario thing could be seen a mile away by any human being that knows what Mario likes/dislikes. The exact situation that saw him leave Houston happened again with the exact same results.

Anyone that takes away power from Brandon is a good thing. He is the major constant player in the horrible decisions this team has made for nearly two decades. Yes training camp has been a success. Most everything else has been bad.

With regard to Kim, most "active" owners do not fare well in the NFL with regard to player personnel. Assuming she is a bright business mind and sticks to the stadium and marketing side of the business, then by all means be as active as she wants.

Anyone that takes away power from Brandon is a good thing. He is the major constant player in the horrible decisions this team has made for nearly two decades. Yes training camp has been a success. Most everything else has been bad.

With regard to Kim, most "active" owners do not fare well in the NFL with regard to player personnel. Assuming she is a bright business mind and sticks to the stadium and marketing side of the business, then by all means be as active as she wants.

Brandon is probably one of the biggest reasons the Bills are still in Buffalo. The Brandon hate is so silly.

Brandon is probably one of the biggest reasons the Bills are still in Buffalo. The Brandon hate is so silly.

Nobody is hating the man for his business / marketing decisions that I can see (Save Toronto) and all Bills fans want is to see is Brandon removed from the football side of operations which will be a good great thing!

Do you really want to see Terry and Kim making the final decisions on the more important football hirings for the team? I know I'd rather see the new team president of football operations or GM hire the next head coach.

From Leroi posted Oct 2015,

Russ has a big part in scouting and the draft process. He is definetly involved.

The guy is a sports genius, we are lucky to have him as the president of Buffalo sports.

Remember he was our GM not that long ago.

Imo

Nobody is hating the man for his business / marketing decisions that I can see (Save Toronto) and all Bills fans want is to see is Brandon removed from the football side of operations which will be a good great thing!

Do you really want to see Terry and Kim making the final decisions on the more important football hirings for the team? I know I'd rather see the new team president of football operations or GM hire the next head coach.

From Leroi posted Oct 2015,

Russ has a big part in scouting and the draft process. He is definetly involved.

The guy is a sports genius, we are lucky to have him as the president of Buffalo sports.

Remember he was our GM not that long ago.

Imo

Agree. And I take everything Leroi with a giant grain of salt.

Russ is a big reason for why this franchise can't shake the playoff drought. A marketing guy making football decisions is not a good thing as we've witnessed the past 16 years.

Really Russ Brandon has been involved as the de facto GM since Marv levy retired as GM at the end of 2007 and as much as I love Marv as the Bills HC...he wasn't a good GM for the football side either.

Previous to that the only men who had any real power and say over the Bills player personnel were Tom Donahoe 2001 to 2005 as the owner stepped away from the team. Bill Polian as GM and Chuck Knox as HC during their time in Buffalo. The rest of the time the owner had his hands all over everything to do with his team and is why he named himself team president for all those years.

I was so elated when I read that these new owners were in conversations with Bill Polian to hire him as temporary team president to advise them and equally crestfallen when I read he had backed out of that process. These new owners initially wanted to do the right thing and then didn't....

I think so. My take is she is a winner in everything she does and wants the Buffalo Bills to win. If I'm not mistaken Terry told Kim he wouldn't buy the team unless she became heavily involved in the team as he has so many other interests (Sabres & Amerks) Kim wanted to buy the Bills Buffalo Bills to keep them in Buffalo due to her growing up in the Fairport NY area, so she said yes.

From what I've read and have seen in interviews with her is that she passes the final yay or nay on any investment opportunities that come the Pegula's way. As smart as she is I'm thinking that there soon should be change at the top of the org if things don't go well this season in terms of wins as the two have a solid track record of business success.

Even though the same successful person you speak of says you're wrong?

Many folks predicted it would be awhile to learn Rex's scheme and some pieces wouldn't fit.

Edited by FireChan

Actually, at about this time last year a poster predicted that the players would not adapt well to Rex's defensive system, that the system would be crammed down their throats, and that the defense would likely take a significant step backward in 2015. He also predicted that the offense would improve. You attacked him mercilessly.

Edited by mannc

Actually, at about this time last year a poster predicted that the players would not adapt well to Rex's defensive system, that the system would be crammed down their throats, and that the defense would likely take a significant step backward in 2015. He also predicted that the offense would improve. You attacked him mercilessly.

That's a little strong. I've admitted a number of times I'm disappointed with what happened to the defense in 2015.

That still doesn't mean I believe Whaley thought it would happen.