Bills announce contract extension for Tyrod Taylor

100 million? That's alot of coin for a guy that started one year. Good for him but NFL salaries, and all professional sports for that matter, are absurd. America, where did your common sense go?

Considering the revenue the NFL brings in and the guaranteed percentage the players receive with the salary cap and it's not really a bad contract.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@AdamBenigni

I'm told 6-yrs. $90-million on #Bills Taylor deal plus incentives, but team has significant flexibility to get out after years 1&2. @Wgrz

@NickVeronica

#Bills Doug Whaley on conference call: "It's a deal that can keep [Tyrod] with us for as long as he can keep performing at a high level."

@AndrewBrandt

Tyrod Taylor deal likely to be one of those "up to $100 million" deals which means $25-30 million and then "we'll see how he's doing."

@AdamBenigni

I'm told 6-yrs. $90-million on #Bills Taylor deal plus incentives, but team has significant flexibility to get out after years 1&2. @Wgrz

@NickVeronica

#Bills Doug Whaley on conference call: "It's a deal that can keep [Tyrod] with us for as long as he can keep performing at a high level."

@AndrewBrandt

Tyrod Taylor deal likely to be one of those "up to $100 million" deals which means $25-30 million and then "we'll see how he's doing."

Weeeell, I still hate it. :D :D

That's true but some are bigger than others. This one is obviously a big gamble. It could hamper their cap in the future if it ends up being a Ftiz situation. But be bold be aggressive and hope it all pans out. I also like the deal as it leaves the franchise tag open to use on Gilmore. I know Gilimore isn't going to sign a tag but if you tag him you give yourselves a chance to trade him.

It's a HUGE gamble. If Tyrod slips this season ala RGIII, a very distinct possibility, then it will mean that we won't draft a QB in a draft that should have several good ones again.

I don't have an expectation here as to Taylor, I can see him really stepping up, staying about the same, or busting out. It will be interesting.

If he doesn't earn this extension though I fail to see how Pegula can keep Whaley around if he wants to have any respect at all in league circles. Of course if Taylor really steps it up then all involved will look good obviously.

Really? I mean REALLY? I know the TT fandemonium is strong around here. But come on.

Ugggh, they should have waited to see what he did this year. He has done nothing in this league to warrant that type of money. Gilmore , should have been first. Look how things have worked out for the cap strapped Ravens.

Edited by DirtDart

Does this cast in the FO strike you as having learned anything from anyone?

Depending on the structure and options it could have been the prudent thing to do. At the very least TT offers a serviceable floor. So if you ink him to a mid level deal with an ability to void the deal after 2/3 years it's a far better situation than tagging him just to avoid trotting EJ or Brian Hoyer out there. This deal should be much less restrictive on the cap and if he does take the next step you have him under control for 6 years at a bargain price.

The unicorn talk and the foolishness that we suddenly have a franchise QB is over the top though.

It's a HUGE gamble. If Tyrod slips this season ala RGIII, a very distinct possibility, then it will mean that we won't draft a QB in a draft that should have several good ones again.

I don't have an expectation here as to Taylor, I can see him really stepping up, staying about the same, or busting out. It will be interesting.

If he doesn't earn this extension though I fail to see how Pegula can keep Whaley around if he wants to have any respect at all in league circles. Of course if Taylor really steps it up then all involved will look good obviously.

Disagree - it's a calculated gamble. We have outs after a couple years and the number is reasonable. What's not to like.

Why would he "slip" this season? And if we lose out and there's a great QB available at 1, who's to say the Bills wouldn't take him? Going out on a limb a bit...

It will be interesting though!!

Me too. I hate that the Bills negotiated and structured flexibility into the deal where they can get out of it if the performance isn't there. OBD sucks! :rolleyes:

This sounds like the reasonable, fair type of deals that *I* do with athletes. And I'm an !@#$. I HATE this move! :beer:

Edited by Heitz

Disagree - it's a calculated gamble. We have outs after a couple years and the number is reasonable. What's not to like.

Why would he "slip" this season? And if we lose out and there's a great QB available at 1, who's to say the Bills wouldn't take him?

If a high end QB prospect slips to the Bills in the draft and they don't select him then that is the mistake, not this contract.

How can anyone not like this? I don't get it. It's still extremely cheap for a starting QB in today's NFL, will be one of the lowest, and has a two-year out for the Bills if it doesn't work out. He would have cost a LOT more after this year, even if he doesn't improve at all.

Great job by the team.