A Look Back at the Stevie Johnson Trade

The Trade  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Was it a good trade?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Could we have used SJ13 on the 2014/15/16 Bills?

• Yes
    • No

I powerbombed an ottoman in half that day.

You realize it's just a sport and the players are simply entertainers, right?

Do you break stuff when a movie you're watching takes an unexpected twist?

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I was operating under the assumption that most felt that Woods hasn't really lived up to solid #2 status.

Its kind of the stupid to me IMO. Woods was injured all last season, had a groin injury. Still had decent #s for a team that doesnt throw a whole lot. The previous year he had over 60 catches.

But at the time of the trade none of that happened yet. He was a highly rated WR coming off a solid rookie season. There was no reason to believe Woods was not the #2 WR of the future.

I liked Stevie, I really did, but we're not any more for the worse without him. He's been hurt wherever he's been and is just basically solid if anything. He and Fitz had a great chemistry, but he was too much of a free lance WR for our new system under Hackett and Marrone. I think they had as much to do with him being shipped out as us bringing in Sammy. Not to mention the $ factor at the time.

Edited by H2o

I've always been a Stevie fan. I'd feel much better if he was the #2. With that being said if he would have stunted Watkins' growth they made the right decision. It's tough to judge in a vacuum. I think that Stevie is a good NFL receiver, Sammy is going to be a superstar. They are still missing a #2 IMO but maybe that's not a role Stevie would have embraced?

What?!

Watkins is a #1 receiver in about half a dozen games a season. In another three or four he's just one of a bunch. In the remaining 6 or 7 games he's not even a #3 WR.

About half of his games he didn't even log 50 yards receiving. 17 of his 29 games he didn't score.

Watkins has contributed no more than Stevie ever did. In fact, Stevie holds the record for most consecutive 1,000-yard seasons.

Leave it for Whaley to make a trade that swaps out, IIRC, Bryce Brown for Stevie at the end of the day. One more of Whaley's idiotic moves that has contributed to destroying this team and putting in on track to set records for playoff futility that will never be broken.

Meanwhile, everything points to the notion that Watkins has Jones' fracture, and quite frankly, regardless, who cares, he's not ready now, probably won't be 100% at any point this season and is more likely to miss games than to play all 16, again.

Woods isn't a bona fide #1 WR and there isn't a WR on the roster currently that has even come close to proving that they can start in Watkins' absence, not one.

If having Stevie would have "stunted Watkins' growth," then Watkins is useless. Frankly, if he doesn't start showing up for 16 games and doesn't start playing one game with almost nothing and only every third game like he was supposed to, he's pretty useless for the money too. Gotta play to be useful to the team. So far Sammy can't seem to even make it through a season w/o having injuries get the best of him.

The move to trade a second 1st rounder and add a 4th on top of it was stupid, you never make a trade like that for a rookie WR. It hasn't worked out well for us and unless it does this season, the team had better start looking for Watkins' replacement for next season.

One thing I'll say, this is going to be an entertaining season from the perspective of "how are they going to do it?" in the passing game. I don't see how they're going to prevent opponents from stacking the line, stuffing our run, and rendering our offense another one of Ryan's 20th ranked specialties.

I wouldn't bet a plug nickel that this is the season in which Watkins steps up, plays all 16, and finally hits 1,500/10 like he should. In fact, I'd wager the opposite, that we're seeing yet the onset of the next season in which he's sporadically, at best, available, injured throughout the season, and once again will be fortunate to barely hit 1,000 yards.

Stevie did all that and had a string of 1,000-yard seasons going while averaging 8 TDs/season until Whaley's idiocy brought in Manuel, a player that he still hasn't relinquished.

Leave it to Whaley to arbitrarily get rid of players like Stevie and FredEx while clinging to Manuel as a lifeline and then having to trade away the farm in yet another futile effort to draft an injury project.

The sooner Whaley is gone the sooner our chances for playoffs increase.

And btw, how do you know that Sammy's going to be a superstar? What, are you mystical?

Right now the trend is that he'll be bouncing around a few teams that are in dire need of an average starting WR because he can't stay healthy. And it's not like he's taking all these crazy hits or anything, this is mundane stuff that causes his injuries.

The team cannot afford to exercise his 5th year option at that cost if he can't stay healthy and post more than five or six very good games per season while doing nothing in half the games. That's ridiculous to consider such a WR to be a future superstar when he can't even outperform numerous other WRs in his own draft class over two seasons or even on a season to season basis.

Edited by TaskersGhost

What?!

Watkins is a #1 receiver in about half a dozen games a season. In another three or four he's just one of a bunch. In the remaining 6 or 7 games he's not even a #3 WR.

About half of his games he didn't even log 50 yards receiving. 17 of his 29 games he didn't score.

Watkins has contributed no more than Stevie ever did. In fact, Stevie holds the record for most consecutive 1,000-yard seasons.

Leave it for Whaley to make a trade that swaps out, IIRC, Bryce Brown for Stevie at the end of the day. One more of Whaley's idiotic moves that has contributed to destroying this team and putting in on track to set records for playoff futility that will never be broken.

Meanwhile, everything points to the notion that Watkins has Jones' fracture, and quite frankly, regardless, who cares, he's not ready now, probably won't be 100% at any point this season and is more likely to miss games than to play all 16, again.

Woods isn't a bona fide #1 WR and there isn't a WR on the roster currently that has even come close to proving that they can start in Watkins' absence, not one.

If having Stevie would have "stunted Watkins' growth," then Watkins is useless. Frankly, if he doesn't start showing up for 16 games and doesn't start playing one game with almost nothing and only every third game like he was supposed to, he's pretty useless for the money too. Gotta play to be useful to the team. So far Sammy can't seem to even make it through a season w/o having injuries get the best of him.

The move to trade a second 1st rounder and add a 4th on top of it was stupid, you never make a trade like that for a rookie WR. It hasn't worked out well for us and unless it does this season, the team had better start looking for Watkins' replacement for next season.

One thing I'll say, this is going to be an entertaining season from the perspective of "how are they going to do it?" in the passing game. I don't see how they're going to prevent opponents from stacking the line, stuffing our run, and rendering our offense another one of Ryan's 20th ranked specialties.

I wouldn't bet a plug nickel that this is the season in which Watkins steps up, plays all 16, and finally hits 1,500/10 like he should. In fact, I'd wager the opposite, that we're seeing yet the onset of the next season in which he's sporadically, at best, available, injured throughout the season, and once again will be fortunate to barely hit 1,000 yards.

Stevie did all that and had a string of 1,000-yard seasons going while averaging 8 TDs/season until Whaley's idiocy brought in Manuel, a player that he still hasn't relinquished.

Leave it to Whaley to arbitrarily get rid of players like Stevie and FredEx while clinging to Manuel as a lifeline and then having to trade away the farm in yet another futile effort to draft an injury project.

And btw, how do you know that Sammy's going to be a superstar? What, are you mystical?

Right now the trend is that he'll be bouncing around a few teams that are in dire need of an average starting WR because he can't stay healthy. And it's not like he's taking all these crazy hits or anything, this is mundane stuff that causes his injuries.

The team cannot afford to exercise his 5th year option at that cost if he can't stay healthy and post more than five or six very good games per season while doing nothing in half the games. That's ridiculous to consider such a WR to be a future superstar when he can't even outperform numerous other WRs in his own draft class over two seasons or even on a season to season basis.

well I'm not 100% in agreeance with you on everything. I do agree with Sammy. He's not shown to be a stud superstar at WR. Sure he's shown flashes, but nothing in multiple games to show he can take over a game and win it on his own.

I will say the 2nd half of last year showed he could step it up but nothing incredible. Over the full course of the year like that would be something but half a season doesn't tickled my taint.

The type of Nancy that plays 16 games with broken ribs. He's missed 3 games in his career. He missed his third game of the season after coming back too quickly, catching a TD, and re-injuring his calf. He isn't missing anything due to minor injuries.

He needs to start showing up more than five or six games a season while providing mediocre or poor production in the other 10 games.

He wasn't heralded as an average NFL receiver, fools penciled him in for greatness before he ever even saw an NFL field.

So far it hasn't worked out, the only ones that seem to think it has are Bills fans. All objective observers see reality, a WR on the cusp of irrelevancy because he can't stay healthy and a WR that's destined to play for several teams for the same reason, not to mention one whose consistency issues are a huge issue.

If Sammy is going to be great, then no one should have to talk about it, it should be evident, but it isn't. Great WRs don't barely put up 1,000 yards while not showing up half the time, sorry, that's just the way it is.

It'll clear up for everyone that can't see it this season, unfortunately. Maybe then, just maybe, we can move on from Whaley and his idiotic risk-taking and put someone in there that knows what to do and what not to do while trading away team favorites like FredEx, independently from anyone else in the front office, while clinging to a player like Manuel whom Whaley said "has the 'it' factor."

Manuel has the "**it" factor alright. For that matter, so does Whaley.

Was it a fourth rounder? And wh did they take with that pick?

That's the one they traded to Philly for Bryce Brown, whom many here said would be our next greatest RB much like they're talking about how Sammy is great.

What?!

If you do not think that Sammy Watkins is a #1 receiver I do not want to talk football with you. He was near the top of NFL over the second half of last year in yards. It was his 2nd year in the league!! He was a dominant player that always faced extra coverage. There is a very, very good chance that he exceeds the franchise record for yards in a single season of 1368. He averaged 100 yards a game in his last 9 games. If you aren't seeing that then you don't know what you are looking for.

If you do not think that Sammy Watkins is a #1 receiver I do not want to talk football with you. He was near the top of NFL over the second half of last year in yards. It was his 2nd year in the league!! He was a dominant player that always faced extra coverage. There is a very, very good chance that he exceeds the franchise record for yards in a single season of 1368. He averaged 100 yards a game in his last 9 games. If you aren't seeing that then you don't know what you are looking for.

i don't think Tasker is arguing Sammys talent and potential. He's talking about not only his ability to stay in the field but his ability to take over games like a true superstar. So far, Sammy hasn't shown that.

He needs to start showing up more than five or six games a season while providing mediocre or poor production in the other 10 games.

He wasn't heralded as an average NFL receiver, fools penciled him in for greatness before he ever even saw an NFL field.

So far it hasn't worked out, the only ones that seem to think it has are Bills fans. All objective observers see reality, a WR on the cusp of irrelevancy because he can't stay healthy and a WR that's destined to play for several teams for the same reason, not to mention one whose consistency issues are a huge issue.

If Sammy is going to be great, then no one should have to talk about it, it should be evident, but it isn't. Great WRs don't barely put up 1,000 yards while not showing up half the time, sorry, that's just the way it is.

It'll clear up for everyone that can't see it this season, unfortunately. Maybe then, just maybe, we can move on from Whaley and his idiotic risk-taking and put someone in there that knows what to do and what not to do while trading away team favorites like FredEx, independently from anyone else in the front office, while clinging to a player like Manuel whom Whaley said "has the 'it' factor."

Manuel has the "**it" factor alright. For that matter, so does Whaley.

That's the one they traded to Philly for Bryce Brown, whom many here said would be our next greatest RB much like they're talking about how Sammy is great.

What QB has been throwing him the ball his years in the league thus far? If he's with Eli he's putting up huge numbers like OBJ or even better. What creative OC's have we had to scheme him into the game? Roman didn't figure it out until the last part of the season. The Chiefs game is the greatest example. He was ABSOLUTELY KILLING THEM in the first half, but we can't come up with plays to get him the ball in the 2nd? That 1st half performance is something he could be doing game in and game out. Not necessarily the numbers because it was insane, but the fact that he was involved consistently and utilized to the utmost. Sammy is an elite WR in this league already. His effort does not lack. The people he has had around him have fallen short at times, whether it be the coaching staff or the person tabbed with getting him the ball.

well I'm not 100% in agreeance with you on everything. I do agree with Sammy. He's not shown to be a stud superstar at WR. Sure he's shown flashes, but nothing in multiple games to show he can take over a game and win it on his own.

I will say the 2nd half of last year showed he could step it up but nothing incredible. Over the full course of the year like that would be something but half a season doesn't tickled my taint.

For two 1st-round picks and a 4th he's a waste.

But we cannot simply step over his injury issues or the fact that he shines at times and disappears at others with equal frequency.

As I said, it wasn't the "second half" last season, it was the last six games. Three of which, including his two biggest, were losses. In his first six games he averaged just over 50 ypg with one huge game against the Fins. In the other 5 he averaged fewer than 34 ypg.

Like I said, he shows up for a half dozen games and then the rest of the time no one knows he's there. Hell, sometimes he isn't as he missed three games entirely. People cite those three games but he played sparingly in a fourth too. That's 25% of games last season he wasn't even around. I expect that number to increase this season.

Either way, if he can't pull himself together this season, the team seriously has to consider moving on and finding other options at WR. Right now we have one proven #1, Sammy. With him out it's going to be very interesting. I don't see Woods and whom, Hank, carrying this offense in the passing game. Clay is Clay until further notice, likely another one of Whaley's overhyped acquisitions.

Again, Whaley needs to go, his moves are killing this organization.

You really need to learn how to read. Seriously.

If you want to take issue with things that I actually said, great. Otherwise, if you cannot comment on what I actually said contrasted with what I did not say, then I really don't want to discuss anything with you.

Get it right or don't comment.

Otherwise, Watkins wasn't drafted at the cost of two 1st-rounders and a 4th to merely be a starting WR. We were promised exceptionality, which clearly he has not delivered.

No need to comment.

What QB has been throwing him the ball his years in the league thus far? If he's with Eli he's putting up huge numbers like OBJ or even better. What creative OC's have we had to scheme him into the game? Roman didn't figure it out until the last part of the season. The Chiefs game is the greatest example. He was ABSOLUTELY KILLING THEM in the first half, but we can't come up with plays to get him the ball in the 2nd? That 1st half performance is something he could be doing game in and game out. Not necessarily the numbers because it was insane, but the fact that he was involved consistently and utilized to the utmost. Sammy is an elite WR in this league already. His effort does not lack. The people he has had around him have fallen short at times, whether it be the coaching staff or the person tabbed with getting him the ball.

Those are excuses my friend. Besides, what did you and everyone else say about Watkins, as if it were a given? Remember?

He was supposed to merely "get the ball in his hands and he would take care of the rest," remember?

Has that happened? Hardly. He's among the worst in his draft class in YAC and not good overall, meaning that that's far from the truth.

Otherwise, who's been throwing to Hurns (a what, 7th rounder), Robinson, and Mike Evans the ball? How about Benjamin? Jordan Matthews? Jarvis Landry? You think those guys all have Pro Bowl QBs throwing to them? All were rookies/young/mediocre at best QBs. How come they can succeed to similar levels as Sammy? Most of them don't even start and even fewer are #1s on their teams. None have as many starts besides Evans.

It's funny, you cite one other WR that has Eli and ignore the rest.

Edited by TaskersGhost

But we cannot simply step over his injury issues or the fact that he shines at times and disappears at others with equal frequency.

As I said, it wasn't the "second half" last season, it was the last six games. Three of which, including his two biggest, were losses. In his first six games he averaged just over 50 ypg with one huge game against the Fins. In the other 5 he averaged fewer than 34 ypg.

Like I said, he shows up for a half dozen games and then the rest of the time no one knows he's there. Hell, sometimes he isn't as he missed three games entirely. People cite those three games but he played sparingly in a fourth too. That's 25% of games last season he wasn't even around. I expect that number to increase this season.

Either way, if he can't pull himself together this season, the team seriously has to consider moving on and finding other options at WR. Right now we have one proven #1, Sammy. With him out it's going to be very interesting. I don't see Woods and whom, Hank, carrying this offense in the passing game. Clay is Clay until further notice, likely another one of Whaley's overhyped acquisitions.

If you want to take issue with things that I actually said, great. Otherwise, if you cannot comment on what I actually said contrasted with what I did not say, then I really don't want to discuss anything with you.

Otherwise, Watkins wasn't drafted at the cost of two 1st-rounders and a 4th to merely be a starting WR. We were promised exceptionality, which clearly he has not delivered.

No need to comment.

Those are excuses my friend. Besides, what did you and everyone else say about Watkins, as if it were a given? Remember?

He was supposed to merely "get the ball in his hands and he would take care of the rest," remember?

Has that happened? Hardly. He's among the worst in his draft class in YAC and not good overall, meaning that that's far from the truth.

Otherwise, who's been throwing to Hurns (a what, 7th rounder), Robinson, and Mike Evans the ball? How about Benjamin? Jordan Matthews? Jarvis Landry? You think those guys all have Pro Bowl QBs throwing to them? All were rookies/young/mediocre at best QBs. How come they can succeed to similar levels as Sammy? Most of them don't even start and even fewer are #1s on their teams. None have as many starts besides Evans.

Bortles is better than Tyrod, EJ, Orton, or whoever we've had out there. Miami has made it a point to get Landry involved, have we done the same with Watkins? Benjamin's QB is Cam. Jordan Matthews? What has he done? Mike Evans is a beast too. He, OBJ, and Watkins were the class of that class. But let's not forget Evans imposing size. I understand your disdain for us swapping 1st's to move up, giving up the following year's 1st, and a 4th in there, but to play this scenario out as Watkins being just another guy at the WR position is misguided at best. If he's with Tommy Boy right now he's putting up '07 Moss numbers.

No need to comment.

Your crusade is TBD's least entertaining. But what it lacks in entertainment it makes up for in volume, ten fold.

Edited by Jauronimo

We're not struggling to find a #2 WR. We're struggling to find a QB.

What?! Taylor's at least competent.

Name one other WR on this team besides Sammy that has proven the ability to start? By that I mean that has put up numbers that if repeated from their past would make you content that we do not need another starter at the position?

Just one. Woods and Hank are the best and most proven ones we have. If their best seasons repeat themselves they'll hit 1,100 and some yards and post 8 TDs between them. If they both end up starting even by default with garbage-time production they should log 1,500/10 easily. Still, that flies in the face of your comment.

Does anyone else remember the last game in Toronto? I'm so glad Stevie and Chandler are gone. The only thing that you could count on with Stevie is that you couldn't count on him in crunch time. He was the Fitz of receivers.

I liked Stevie and always hoped for him to come up big in a big situation. I just don't ever remember it happening.

Loved Stevie (have an autographed jersey) and was sad to see him go, but who knows what he would have done on this team last year. Different QB, coaching group, O coord, etc. He MAY have been a nice #2, but I'm hopeful that Woods will step-up this year...

I'll be here patiently waiting for the "Freddy Jackson Trade" thread, next.

He may have also logged 1,200 yards, we don't know, do we. That's like saying that DeMarco Murray would have played just as poorly on Dallas again as he did last season when it's a leap in logic to say something as such. Johnson did better under Manuel than any other WR we've had, including Sammy.

Most teams just don't trade away a reasonably priced player like Stevie that set a franchise record for a 4th rounder that nets a backup RB in another trade that eventually gets cut.

We should have drafted a WR in this draft and to think that instead of letting Ryan's son do our scouting we could have had Treadwell had Whaley had any balls to do his job correctly, instead of Lawson who's injured and unlikely to do anything this season, maybe we wouldn't have our entire offensive season rely on the health of a single player that hasn't even remotely proven the ability to stay healthy for even half a season.

Poor planning, poor management, idiotic vision.

Your crusade is TBD's least entertaining. But what it lacks in entertainment it makes up for in volume, ten fold.

What you call "volume" is actually substance, which includes data, facts, and substantiation for the opinions and positions that I render.

Beats most of what gets posted here for content. I'd take a whole lot more "volume" from most posters in a NY second rather than merely unsubstantiated opinions as if opinions lacking any substantiation, much less actually contrary to facts that are out there yet not presented, as if those same opinions are facts merely because the poster says so.

Edited by TaskersGhost