Prayers for the City of Dallas

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's illegal to sleep naked with your spouse in Salam MA.

Did this get merged with the TIL thread??

From what I can find 14 Latinos were killed by cops last year. They are a bigger population than black population.

How does that add up?

That was just one house of latinos. Im sure there were more than that.

That police department is a revenue maker!

"MINNEAPOLIS — When Philando Castile saw the flashing lights in his rearview mirror the night he got shot, it wasn’t unusual. He had been pulled over at least 52 times in recent years in and around the Twin Cities and given citations for minor offenses including speeding, driving without a muffler and not wearing a seat belt.

He was assessed at least $6,588 in fines and fees, although more than half of the total 86 violations were dismissed, court records show.

Was Castile an especially bad driver or just unlucky? Or was he targeted by officers who single out black motorists like him for such stops, as several of his family members have alleged?"

Target the poor beater cars... Should have just bought a new ride with the dough he was dishing out!

I see it all the time in my town... Cracked windshield, muffler... Fishing expeditions to find more under the surface. One of my town's favorite was stuff hanging on the mirror, cite for obstruction. I cited a Illinois Supreme Court case (2009) that stopped that practice in my defense case with the cracked windshield that was NOT obstructing my view.

Ticky tacky, get the ones that can't fight back. Cops do what they want to do even in the face of the law and precedent.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Which leads me to another thing... The system, laws, etc... Is just too damn complicated. Almost everybody is doing something wrong. Some more glaring than others.

My prob that Nov. 12th 2015 night @ 23:12 was I was going to work... I saw the cop in the Shell gas station and was going to make a right when I noticed the train semaphore down... I blipped right and decided to go straight and cross at another crossing further up, seeing that was my general direction towards work. I stupidly caught his attention and he began following me for mile. I noticed him the whole time observing him leave the Shell gas station... He began tailing me. I moved legally over to let him pass, he got behind me again! I then legally moved over again to right, so he could pass... He got behind me again and lights went on. He stated he didn't like me "playing cat and mouse"... I said I saw him the whole time since leaving Shell, explained the RR crossing situation, going to work... He went on a "fishing expedition" to find something... I was squeaky clean.. Trumped up 40 in a 30. Got ticket and left.

Just imagine if I was black and really had an attitude for being harassed on my way to work?

I understand that the town is their personal playground... But people have things to do, places to be, taking things a little less personal should be in order... By all parties. He hated the fact that I was watching him more than he was watching me!

Thank God I was white and things in proper order (seatbelt, no weapon, no lapsed insurance, license, reg... Etc...).

So basically what you're trying to say is that if the situation had been completely different, it may have ended differently?

No following of rules is needed in the exill house?

Speeding meh, cracked windshield meh, muffler noise violation meh, poor guy with expired inspection sticker meh.

Interesting stuff, not sure simple traffic violations and regulations are that hard to obey.

It's not rocket science.

The year before Fergusan... '14 or '13?? I was tailed through my town coming home from the graveyard shift... 08:30... I had a cracked windshield on my Jeep running up the passenger side pillar. I actually stopped the officer after making a few turns through town and asked why he was tailing me. I forgot all about the windshield. He gave me a ticket for the windshield... I showed him the actual vehicle code from the secretary of state website where it wasn't obstruction, even with the law staring him in the face, he still wrote me the ticket and said if I pay early, I can save 50 bucks. WTF

I got it tossed when I cited the 2009 IL Supreme court ruling that forbids fishing expeditions when something was dangling from a rear view mirror. Same village that makes its residents put a registration sticker on its windshield too... Go figure

Why would I fix an innocuous crack when the Jeep would just get another one (flat upright glass)... I was just waiting till it obstructed and violated the law.

I see your point.. The dude should have had at least better standards!

So basically what you're trying to say is that if the situation had been completely different, it may have ended differently?

Yes. I am white. I lived.

The year before Fergusan... '14 or '13?? I was tailed through my town coming home from the graveyard shift... 08:30... I had a cracked windshield on my Jeep running up the passenger side pillar. I actually stopped the officer after making a few turns through town and asked why he was tailing me. I forgot all about the windshield. He gave me a ticket for the windshield... I showed him the actual vehicle code from the secretary of state website where it wasn't obstruction, even with the law staring him in the face, he still wrote me the ticket and said if I pay early, I can save 50 bucks. WTF

I got it tossed when I cited the 2009 IL Supreme court ruling that forbids fishing expeditions when something was dangling from a rear view mirror. Same village that makes its residents put a registration sticker on its windshield too... Go figure

Why would I fix an innocuous crack when the Jeep would just get another one (flat upright glass)... I was just waiting till it obstructed and violated the law.

I see your point.. The dude should have had at least better standards!

Yes. I am white. I lived.

You seem to have a lot of issues with the cops driving to and from work. Ever consider taking the bus? 😎

Ticky tacky, get the ones that can't fight back. Cops do what they want to do even in the face of the law and precedent.

Someone breaks into your house at 3 am. Who are you going to call?

What do you have against the police?

Someone breaks into your house at 3 am. Who are you going to call?

What do you have against the police?

Hey Eeyore...

“The play-it-safe pessimists of the world never accomplish much of anything, because they don't look clearly and objectively at situations, they don't recognize or believe in their own abilities to overcome even the smallest amount of risk.”

Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

What if somebody doesn't break into my house @ 0300?

I have nothing against the police except that the ones in my town are over-officious jerks, revenue makers that usually financially prey on the most vulnerable. I am in a very diverse area and the situation doesn't go unnoticed. I think I made myself clear that I think the hero worship is over the top. Guns are everywhere, cops need to get used to it and think before they panic. We need to train them to think before they panic. Yes, there is a fine line that might put their life in danger. But a gun on somebody's lap while they reach for their ID is now a routine occurrence, get used to it. Everything is getting crunched down to the last second. Its a game of inches now and the police have a bigger burden to NOT kill off the populace that they serve and whom pay them to not kill them.

Yes, the guy in Minny should have put "down the shovel" after he dug himself a bunch of traffic infractions... BUT he doesn't care. That is the problem. Back in the day, the poor people with beater vehicles would have been confined to their own community. Such is not the case today in a mobile world where there are cheap wheels. Just look @ all the infractions the dead guy was pulled over for. He was 8k in debt with fines. He kept on digging himself a hole till the police finely offed him. There is some kind of problem here if we can't get through to guys like him and all the tickets in the world are not going to force this guy to comply! Stick him jail? For what? Six faulty muffler violations and broken tail light? Yes, I believe people should have standards and respect themselves! The dead guy obviously didn't, he piled on to more of his problems by having the gun handy. Who gives you the right to say he can't protect himself from the bad guys too. Yet, the stars aligned in a bad way when he interacted with a cop for the umpteenth time. Maybe you are happy he is dead? I am not happy anybody is dead of such senseless stuff. I am not happy and extremely dismayed @ the cop killing that followed afterwards. NOW, with that said... The police have to take an even bigger leap of faith and not escalate things. Of course this means being safe and more vigilant, but the screws can't come down harder on already pushed to its limits segment of our population. Nothing good will come of fighting fire with fire. Peace has to win out and it starts from the top and filters on down. Trust has to win out and it starts from the top and filters on down.

Simply? The burden is on the police now that the guns are out of the bottle. Less over-officiousness, more cutting people slack when it comes to the ticky tacky road stops. You don't think the police don't have quotas, bring in the bad guys? Get a star by your command?

I understand policing is hard. It is thankless. And most importantly should NEVER be self-serving. If you want self-serving, hit Wall Street, not Main Street as your beat.

/my_screed

Legal guns and illegal guns are 2 completely different things.

And I say that knowing there is technically no difference in the gun. But it depends on whose possession it's in.

I think your 100% wrong on this Exilled. Cops or anyone for that matter shouldn't have feel safe when someone is waving a gun around, or simply driving around with it in their lap. He wasn't a liscensed carrier and any real liscensed carrier would know it's not something you do. Liscensed carry holders get pulled over all the time and dont get shot. The r Asron they don't is because they aren't azzholes. Nor are they trying to start an argument with a cop when there is a gun present and the cop might take things as aggression.

Uiu can believe what you want. But you live in a place where guns are not allowed at all and yet you say cops should just deal with it. By that fact, every gun carried in Chicago and surrounding areas is illegal and everyone carrying a gun deserves to get shot of they are driving around with it in their laps.

There's also the Issue that just because this guy worked at a school and appeared to be an upstanding citizen doesn't make it so. Usually someone driving around smoking weed with a gun in their lap is up to no good. At the very least, an idiot.

Legal guns and illegal guns are 2 completely different things.

And I say that knowing there is technically no difference in the gun. But it depends on whose possession it's in.

I think your 100% wrong on this Exilled. Cops or anyone for that matter shouldn't have feel safe when someone is waving a gun around, or simply driving around with it in their lap. He wasn't a liscensed carrier and any real liscensed carrier would know it's not something you do. Liscensed carry holders get pulled over all the time and dont get shot. The r Asron they don't is because they aren't azzholes. Nor are they trying to start an argument with a cop when there is a gun present and the cop might take things as aggression.

Uiu can believe what you want. But you live in a place where guns are not allowed at all and yet you say cops should just deal with it. By that fact, every gun carried in Chicago and surrounding areas is illegal and everyone carrying a gun deserves to get shot of they are driving around with it in their laps.

There's also the Issue that just because this guy worked at a school and appeared to be an upstanding citizen doesn't make it so. Usually someone driving around smoking weed with a gun in their lap is up to no good. At the very least, an idiot.

I live in Will County, Illinois.

It is 2016 mrags. @ the very most, an idiot. Not very least. Weed is getting more and more mainstream. It is legal in two states. Why would he be "up to no good?" There is a new norm, yes stupid norm.

I live in Will County, Illinois.

It is 2016 mrags. @ the very most, an idiot. Not very least. Weed is getting more and more mainstream. It is legal in two states. Why would he be "up to no good?" There is a new norm, yes stupid norm.

having a gun in your lap is not a good way to present yourself to a cop. And when the cop says to stop moving and you keep moving... I'll say it, you deserve to die. That cop has rights too. And he presented a threat. Regardless how much or little you think it is. I hardly think your going to be comfortable in that situation.

I said it. He deserved to die. He had no business having a gun in his lap. He was not a concealed carry permit holder and at the very least should have had it in a lock box of some kind.

I don't expect you to understand.

I'm done here.

having a gun in your lap is not a good way to present yourself to a cop. And when the cop says to stop moving and you keep moving... I'll say it, you deserve to die. That cop has rights too. And he presented a threat. Regardless how much or little you think it is. I hardly think your going to be comfortable in that situation.

I said it. He deserved to die. He had no business having a gun in his lap. He was not a concealed carry permit holder and at the very least should have had it in a lock box of some kind.

I don't expect you to understand.

I'm done here.

I understand that... But try and get that through these dolts heads that have ZERO respect for authority. You talk lock boxes, etc... The guy can't even Midasize it or fix his tail light!

He didn't deserve to die. An officer does not deserve to die. Stop being self serving. It isn't about you, me or the cop, it is about somehow getting through to this idiot. Killing him is not helping. Sides are polarizing.

I understand that... But try and get that through these dolts heads that have ZERO respect for authority. You talk lock boxes, etc... The guy can't even Midasize it or fix his tail light!

He didn't deserve to die. An officer does not deserve to die. Stop being self serving. It isn't about you, me or the cop, it is about somehow getting through to this idiot. Killing him is not helping. Sides are polarizing.

oh sure. Blame me. Blame you. Blame the cop. Blame society for this one idiot too stupid to realize that a gun in your lap when being pulled over by the police is a bad idea.

It's all society's fault. Blame everyone but yourself.

Oh wait... The new thing is to blame it on mental illness. Yeah, that's it's. He was mentally unstable. That'll win in court.

Which leads me to another thing... The system, laws, etc... Is just too damn complicated. Almost everybody is doing something wrong. Some more glaring than others.

My prob that Nov. 12th 2015 night @ 23:12 was I was going to work... I saw the cop in the Shell gas station and was going to make a right when I noticed the train semaphore down... I blipped right and decided to go straight and cross at another crossing further up, seeing that was my general direction towards work. I stupidly caught his attention and he began following me for mile. I noticed him the whole time observing him leave the Shell gas station... He began tailing me. I moved legally over to let him pass, he got behind me again! I then legally moved over again to right, so he could pass... He got behind me again and lights went on. He stated he didn't like me "playing cat and mouse"... I said I saw him the whole time since leaving Shell, explained the RR crossing situation, going to work... He went on a "fishing expedition" to find something... I was squeaky clean.. Trumped up 40 in a 30. Got ticket and left.

Just imagine if I was black and really had an attitude for being harassed on my way to work?

I understand that the town is their personal playground... But people have things to do, places to be, taking things a little less personal should be in order... By all parties. He hated the fact that I was watching him more than he was watching me!

Thank God I was white and things in proper order (seatbelt, no weapon, no lapsed insurance, license, reg... Etc...).

Are you freaking kidding me? If you were black, you would have blamed this whole thing on driving while black.

Are you freaking kidding me? If you were black, you would have blamed this whole thing on driving while black.

"Because investigatory traffic stops disproportionately target racial minorities, one writes that Heien “will very likely add to the growing tension between minorities and law enforcement.” Another sees a “dangerous double standard,” with those arrested expected to know the law — while those arresting, not so much."

That I am not, so I don't get pulled over a lot (hey that rhymes)... Maybe once every couple of years if that and the last couple of times were complete BS. If one is getting harassed all the time, checked out, pulled over, questions asked: "What are you doing?" "Show me your ID." One tends to get frustrated. Eventually, one will get PO'd and cross. Just leave me alone and let me do my thing. How many times does it have to happen before one says: "Enough is enough." "This is not the day."

Sure, there is underlying issues like bad tail lights, loud mufflers, etc... But who wants to be tailed by the cops? Treated like a criminal for just going about their business under less than perfect conditions? I am sorry I don't live in a perfect world where money is flowing and parts don't break. It is called the real world. I agree, guy in Minny should have taken more pride in his ride. There is a reason why police go on fishing expeditions... Find something bigger. It is called pretext policing. It keeps the courts full and the overtime flowing and the union happy? Just run my plates on the fly and be on your way. There is plate scanning tech out there, no need to interact all the time. Don't have to trump up I was speeding because one can't save face and find anything else. Just leave me alone! I have to protect myself on the road and I don't like anybody tailing me. ANYBODY! How do I know they are even a legit cop until I can verify who they actually are? God knows, don't keep a gun with you! It is dark and late, I have my safety to protect too!

Now multiply that by a heck more times. When do you finally say: "You picked the wrong day and finally blow up and vent." It is taking a leap of faith, just blindly submitting, especially against an establishment that some have perceived wants to eradicate them.

My cracked windshield stop a year BEFORE Fergusan, I think the cop was dumbfounded (because I am white) why I didn't appreciate being tailed through town. I was tired, worked all night and wanted to get to bed @ 0830. Gee officer, lets talk and have coffee. No. Just leave me alone, the windshield doesn't violate the law. I am sorry, people have lives and get cranky, don't want to be bothered by needless BS. It is a Jeep, the windshield folds down anyway. Its upright and flat, gets lots of nasty hits. I will fix it when it violates the law and obstructs my vision. Why would I want to spend money on something that doesn't have to be fixed right away?

Okay... I know my situation is a bit different and more sane than the guy in Minny... But I was still being pestered. It caused me needless grief, when I was right all along. Should I have just been extorted 100 bucks that takes things off my family's table? I could have easily paid it. Some can't and then fight, dig in (maybe unwisely dig in).

What point are people missing. I appreciate all the work they do just not the nitpicky busy work.

https://www.themarshallproject.org/2015/08/03/how-the-supreme-court-made-it-legal-for-cops-to-pull-you-over-for-just-about-anything#.UjFGnKqZB

"What’s striking about these cases — aside from the officers’ limited understanding of the laws they’re entrusted to enforce — is how flimsy the pretext can be to pull someone over. The grounds cited for stopping drivers included entering an intersection when the light was yellow; or having, on the back of a car, a trailer hitch; or having, in the front of a car, an air freshener hanging from the rearview mirror — you know, the ones shaped like pine trees, the ones so ubiquitous that the president of the Car-Freshner Corporation once told The New York Times Magazine: “We’ve sold billions of trees. Probably right up there with the number of hamburgers McDonald’s sells.”

"In February, in a case involving a traffic stop over a dangling parking pass, D. "Arthur Kelsey, then a judge on Virginia’s Court of Criminal Appeals, wrote: “So dense is the modern web of motor vehicle regulations that every motorist is likely to get caught in it every time he drives to the grocery store.” And now, he wrote, “reasonable suspicion justifying the seizure of citizens will be found even if police officers are mistaken concerning the law as long as their testimony includes magic words such as ‘I thought . . . I believed . . . I mistakenly believed . . . I suspected . . . I mistakenly suspected . . .’ or as in this case, the officer just doesn't really know one way or the other.”