Prayers for the City of Dallas

That police department is a revenue maker!

Maybe we should pay a little attention to the fact that our federal and state governments have turned into 'revenue makers' at every turn and at every opportunity, huh?

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Because investigatory traffic stops disproportionately target racial minorities, one writes that Heien “will very likely add to the growing tension between minorities and law enforcement.” Another sees a “dangerous double standard,” with those arrested expected to know the law — while those arresting, not so much."

That I am not, so I don't get pulled over a lot (hey that rhymes)... Maybe once every couple of years if that and the last couple of times were complete BS. If one is getting harassed all the time, checked out, pulled over, questions asked: "What are you doing?" "Show me your ID." One tends to get frustrated. Eventually, one will get PO'd and cross. Just leave me alone and let me do my thing. How many times does it have to happen before one says: "Enough is enough." "This is not the day."

Sure, there is underlying issues like bad tail lights, loud mufflers, etc... But who wants to be tailed by the cops? Treated like a criminal for just going about their business under less than perfect conditions? I am sorry I don't live in a perfect world where money is flowing and parts don't break. It is called the real world. I agree, guy in Minny should have taken more pride in his ride. There is a reason why police go on fishing expeditions... Find something bigger. It is called pretext policing. It keeps the courts full and the overtime flowing and the union happy? Just run my plates on the fly and be on your way. There is plate scanning tech out there, no need to interact all the time. Don't have to trump up I was speeding because one can't save face and find anything else. Just leave me alone! I have to protect myself on the road and I don't like anybody tailing me. ANYBODY! How do I know they are even a legit cop until I can verify who they actually are? God knows, don't keep a gun with you! It is dark and late, I have my safety to protect too!

Now multiply that by a heck more times. When do you finally say: "You picked the wrong day and finally blow up and vent." It is taking a leap of faith, just blindly submitting, especially against an establishment that some have perceived wants to eradicate them.

My cracked windshield stop a year BEFORE Fergusan, I think the cop was dumbfounded (because I am white) why I didn't appreciate being tailed through town. I was tired, worked all night and wanted to get to bed @ 0830. Gee officer, lets talk and have coffee. No. Just leave me alone, the windshield doesn't violate the law. I am sorry, people have lives and get cranky, don't want to be bothered by needless BS. It is a Jeep, the windshield folds down anyway. Its upright and flat, gets lots of nasty hits. I will fix it when it violates the law and obstructs my vision. Why would I want to spend money on something that doesn't have to be fixed right away?

Okay... I know my situation is a bit different and more sane than the guy in Minny... But I was still being pestered. It caused me needless grief, when I was right all along. Should I have just been extorted 100 bucks that takes things off my family's table? I could have easily paid it. Some can't and then fight, dig in (maybe unwisely dig in).

What point are people missing. I appreciate all the work they do just not the nitpicky busy work.

https://www.themarshallproject.org/2015/08/03/how-the-supreme-court-made-it-legal-for-cops-to-pull-you-over-for-just-about-anything#.UjFGnKqZB

"What’s striking about these cases — aside from the officers’ limited understanding of the laws they’re entrusted to enforce — is how flimsy the pretext can be to pull someone over. The grounds cited for stopping drivers included entering an intersection when the light was yellow; or having, on the back of a car, a trailer hitch; or having, in the front of a car, an air freshener hanging from the rearview mirror — you know, the ones shaped like pine trees, the ones so ubiquitous that the president of the Car-Freshner Corporation once told The New York Times Magazine: “We’ve sold billions of trees. Probably right up there with the number of hamburgers McDonald’s sells.”

"In February, in a case involving a traffic stop over a dangling parking pass, D. "Arthur Kelsey, then a judge on Virginia’s Court of Criminal Appeals, wrote: “So dense is the modern web of motor vehicle regulations that every motorist is likely to get caught in it every time he drives to the grocery store.” And now, he wrote, “reasonable suspicion justifying the seizure of citizens will be found even if police officers are mistaken concerning the law as long as their testimony includes magic words such as ‘I thought . . . I believed . . . I mistakenly believed . . . I suspected . . . I mistakenly suspected . . .’ or as in this case, the officer just doesn't really know one way or the other.”

tl; dr

Maybe we should pay a little attention to the fact that our federal and state governments have turned into 'revenue makers' at every turn and at every opportunity, huh?

Not every turn. I wouldn't say every turn, there are still us purists out there.

Good thing I am in locks and dams. I am

a few hours early to celebrate the 229th anniversary, but on 7/13/1787 in history this happened:

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/congress-enacts-the-northwest-ordinance

http://avalon.law.yale.edu/18th_century/nworder.asp

From Article 4.

"...The navigable waters leading into the Mississippi and St. Lawrence, and the carrying places between the same, shall be common highways and forever free, as well to the inhabitants of the said territory as to the citizens of the United States, and those of any other States that may be admitted into the confederacy, without any tax, impost, or duty therefor."

And now we move on to the LA funerals.....

:angry:

Then Baton Rouge... :-( :-(

All the BS violence has to stop. I guess that study about American history and how we go through 40 year cycle of peace is holding up. We haven't seen this since the 1960s and the cycle is holding true to course. ie: There is only one period in American history where the cycle didn't hold true to that roughly 40 year or so time frame: "Era of Good Feelings" 1816-1825 extended things by an extra decade, 40 years later we were in Civil War.