When we clinch a playoff spot...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Storming the field is like going to the Grand Canyon. Sure, it's exciting to think about and you get hyped on the way. But once you are there it's all "how long do I have to until I can leave where it won't be disrespectful?"

Do the adult thing, get into a fight with opposing fans on their way to their cars

Storming the field is like going to the Grand Canyon. Sure, it's exciting to think about and you get hyped on the way. But once you are there it's all "how long do I have to until I can leave where it won't be disrespectful?"

Do the adult thing, get into a fight with opposing fans on their way to their cars

I just spit my coffee all over my computer!! :worthy::worthy: :worthy:

I really think if a Division title is clinched at home and it is a tight game, people would probably storm the field, and it would be awesome.

I think the rest of the sports universe would think it were a very awesome thing. Dont see that stuff in sterile pro sports. Tortured fan base, excited...

I really think if a Division title is clinched at home and it is a tight game, people would probably storm the field, and it would be awesome.

I think the rest of the sports universe would think it were a very awesome thing. Dont see that stuff in sterile pro sports. Tortured fan base, excited...

I guess that my whole issue is that we are celebrating something that doesn't mean anything. Its like when the Colts hung the AFC runner-up banner. You should EXPECT to be a playoff team, otherwise you shouldn't be playing. I get that it has been a long time but we shouldn't be satisfied with that. That isn't the goal; the goal is a Super Bowl title.

To me, this whole thing falls into the old inferiority complex that I thought we were finally starting to lose. If we want to be considered with the "big boys" we should act like the "big boys." Do you think that Steelers fans would storm the field over a division title? Of course not and they are considered a great fan base. It doesn't show enthusiasm, it shows desperation. I will be as happy as anyone when the Bills clinch a playoff berth but I am not going to be satisfied. The party is much better when you reach the top of the mountain, just ask Cleveland.

I remember watching the '90 take-down from my upper deck seats. Fun to watch, but I'd never put myself in the middle of the fray.

Loved Maguire's commentary in the video posted earlier in the thread...something about worrying about the horses. :lol:

I guess that my whole issue is that we are celebrating something that doesn't mean anything. Its like when the Colts hung the AFC runner-up banner. You should EXPECT to be a playoff team, otherwise you shouldn't be playing. I get that it has been a long time but we shouldn't be satisfied with that. That isn't the goal; the goal is a Super Bowl title.

To me, this whole thing falls into the old inferiority complex that I thought we were finally starting to lose. If we want to be considered with the "big boys" we should act like the "big boys." Do you think that Steelers fans would storm the field over a division title? Of course not and they are considered a great fan base. It doesn't show enthusiasm, it shows desperation. I will be as happy as anyone when the Bills clinch a playoff berth but I am not going to be satisfied. The party is much better when you reach the top of the mountain, just ask Cleveland.

I think you are overthinking this, Kirby.

If it happens there is a good reason for it.

Quite a bit of pent up frustration needs to be vented at some point.

If Bills make the playoffs this year i will be ecstatic. I will expect to lose the first game in. But after all these years , i am going to enjoy the heck out of the moment.

We are not going to live forever, find joy when you can.

Last time I looked, the Steelers have had some success over 2 decades.

People shouldnt take it so seriously and have a little fun. Storming the field would be great. It sounds like it is you who have the inferiority complex with so much worry over what others would perceive, and how we need to act "big league". People do it in NCAA sports for far less. It isnt like people will be holding "Mission Accomplished" banners. This city overall would be deep in Bills fever if we were (when we are) at that point. It would be so exciting and put our fans on good display (provided it is an semi-orderly scene). Clinching a wild card (other than maybe a decisive Week 17 game) may be a little over the top of a reaction too.

I mean, if they won the Division but nothing else and the team had a ceremony to proudly hang a Division Championship banner front and center, yeah, OK, a little lame.

Edited by May Day 10

I think you are overthinking this, Kirby.

If it happens there is a good reason for it.

Quite a bit of pent up frustration needs to be vented at some point.

If Bills make the playoffs this year i will be ecstatic. I will expect to lose the first game in. But after all these years , i am going to enjoy the heck out of the moment.

We are not going to live forever, find joy when you can.

I guess it's just me then. I will be happy to go to the playoffs but not infinitely more happy then a regular season win. I don't really care about the playoff drought. I try not to get caught up in it. It is different guys playing, coaching and selecting the players now then there was even 5 years ago. Each team is different and I view it as such. A playoff game will be a lot of fun (and I will be there no matter what) but that still does little for me. I am not concerned with ending a playoff drought; I am concerned with a title coming to WNY.

As an example, I would much rather have a year where the team misses the playoffs but shows signs of becoming a real contender. If Tyrod proves to be the franchise guy then I am much happier with last year's results then I would have been sneaking into the playoffs with Matt Cassel.

I guess it's just me then. I will be happy to go to the playoffs but not infinitely more happy then a regular season win. I don't really care about the playoff drought. I try not to get caught up in it. It is different guys playing, coaching and selecting the players now then there was even 5 years ago. Each team is different and I view it as such. A playoff game will be a lot of fun (and I will be there no matter what) but that still does little for me. I am not concerned with ending a playoff drought; I am concerned with a title coming to WNY.

As an example, I would much rather have a year where the team misses the playoffs but shows signs of becoming a real contender. If Tyrod proves to be the franchise guy then I am much happier with last year's results then I would have been sneaking into the playoffs with Matt Cassel.

We do agree on the Big picture Kirby for sure!

That is why i do not get hung up on the W/L record predictions and whether Rex stays etc.

I want to see the Bills become strong enough to be contenders over a longer term. I want to see them earn their way as a solid football team.

Sure it is asking quite a bit, but that is how i think.

Now if we beat the Patriots the second game this year to take them out of contention and put us in? Would you not lose your cool demeanor? If only for a moment?

I certainly would not even attempt to restrain myself from dancing a little jig at least .

Go Bills

We do agree on the Big picture Kirby for sure!

That is why i do not get hung up on the W/L record predictions and whether Rex stays etc.

I want to see the Bills become strong enough to be contenders over a longer term. I want to see them earn their way as a solid football team.

Sure it is asking quite a bit, but that is how i think.

Now if we beat the Patriots the second game this year to take them out of contention and put us in? Would you not lose your cool demeanor? If only for a moment?

I certainly would not even attempt to restrain myself from dancing a little jig at least .

Go Bills

Oh believe me, I lose it as much as just about anyone. There are some here that can attest :). I just try to stay focused on the prize.

Oh believe me, I lose it as much as just about anyone. There are some here that can attest :). I just try to stay focused on the prize.

Let us all stay focused on the Prize.

Super Bowl baby

in honor of The Senator

19- 0

I guess we should sign up to the defunt WCW. cuz WCW is where the big boys play!

Storming the field for a lousy playoff berth? -Be kind of embarassing, but I wouldn't put it past pumped-up fans.... Winning the AFC, and going to a superbowl after 22 years, now THAT would be a stormable event.

After this draught it wouldn't be out of place.

Kinda pathetic. Save it for the Super Bowl, then burn your city down. Think bigger! (And MORE pathetic.)

We are better than that.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

The last time was in 1990 for the week 16 win over the Miami Dolphins 24-14 to win the division over the Dolphins. The Bills were 13-2 and the Dolphins were 11-4 at that time.

Some great times back then.

I was at that game, good times. Although I thought throwing the posts out over the stadium was dangerous, never heard if anyone got hurt.

HBW- your original question was about that day when "By a Nose" Fred Smerlas (that was the title of his book about his time with the Bills) blocked that field goal from the Jets, and Norwood kicked the game winning field goal.

It was a great weekend. I was in college at SUNY Oswego. I brought 8 of my college friends, mostly Jets fans to the game. Add that to 6 of my high school St. Francis friends and needless to say it was a serious party for the weekend. We met the night before about 30 Gamma guys ( our rival fraternity from Oswego ) at PJ Bottoms and ended up in a brawl with the UB Rugby team. It was fine as no one was really hurt, just a war story. Chili dogs at 4 am, am and three hours later we were partying at one of the lots, probably Hammers by 8:30 am.

The game was so much fun and the beginning of the end of us being bad. We were good during Chuck Knox years in 80-81, but sucked until 88. I can honestly say, I was the third guy on the goal post for all of a minute before someone tried to climb up me and I flew off the goal post into the crowd. We hit the field fast as we were in end zone seats. At first, it was fun as we were on the side of the tunnel and padding on the shoulder pads guys like Wolfird, and Ritcher. After I flew off the goal post the crowd was so nuts people fell on each other, and was crazy.

I remember after getting away from the mob just watching people taking parts of the post and tossing it over the top of the third level.

Thinking back now as a dad, it was dangerous and stupid, but was truly the end of us being bad, and we went on a 13 year run of making it to the playoffs most years from the Kelly years to a short run with Flutie and that amazing defense.

I know it would look silly of we stormed the stadium if we clinched the playoffs, but I also remember feeling like we were starting something back then, and it was true. It felt so good to be a winner again. Anyway, HBW, that was my memory of fandemonium. Thank god I survived college and will never tell that story to my sons.

That is awesome and too late.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian