How the Ravens went from SB winner to afterthought

Don't tell what to do mister !

:nana:

What happened to the Defense?

Bad choices or poorly allocated finances ?

If you honestly want some real insight into what happened to the 2015 Ravens then read this, http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-anatomy-of-baltimores-lost-season/

"It’s hard to take too much issue with what the Ravens do in football operations, given how consistently successful Harbaugh and Ozzie Newsome have been over the past decade. After an unlucky 1-5 start, though, a disappointing defense and some poorly timed injuries appear to have sunk the Ravens in 2015."

Fans thinking that the team has suddenly become a bad team or are thinking that the 2016 season opener is going to be a cakewalk have it all wrong IMO. Last season only two of eleven starters played a full 16 games on offense and five of sixteen starters on defense. That was a crapstorm of injuries last year. Even at 5-11, only three teams beat that 2015 Ravens team by more than 7 points all season and those games were all at the end of the year. Seattle, KC and Cincy and they still managed to beat a 10-6 Pittsburgh team in week 16 and that was with Ryan Mallett starting at QB.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even at 5-11, only three teams beat that 2015 Ravens team by more than 7 points all season and those games were all at the end of the year. Seattle, KC and Cincy and they still managed to beat a 10-6 Pittsburgh team in week 16 and that was with Ryan Mallett starting at QB.

And Cincy was only 8 points - it was within 1 score. They lost 9 of 11 by one score or less. The Ravens is a very tough start to the season for Buffalo. If we win that game we will be looking at a good season to my mind.

If you honestly want some real insight into what happened to the 2015 Ravens then read this, http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-anatomy-of-baltimores-lost-season/

"It’s hard to take too much issue with what the Ravens do in football operations, given how consistently successful Harbaugh and Ozzie Newsome have been over the past decade. After an unlucky 1-5 start, though, a disappointing defense and some poorly timed injuries appear to have sunk the Ravens in 2015."

Fans thinking that the team has suddenly become a bad team or are thinking that the 2016 season opener is going to be a cakewalk have it all wrong IMO. Last season only two of eleven starters played a full 16 games on offense and five of sixteen starters on defense. That was a crapstorm of injuries last year. Even at 5-11, only three teams beat that 2015 Ravens team by more than 7 points all season and those games were all at the end of the year. Seattle, KC and Cincy and they still managed to beat a 10-6 Pittsburgh team in week 16 and that was with Ryan Mallett starting at QB.

Thanks for the Barnwell link. Not a happy read, but pretty thorough considering the date written.

And Cincy was only 8 points - it was within 1 score. They lost 9 of 11 by one score or less. The Ravens is a very tough start to the season for Buffalo. If we win that game we will be looking at a good season to my mind.

A very very interesting matchup indeed !

I think we are done here. This is worse than arguing with my exes.

My narrative AKA reality is wrong. Ravens decade = good, until PTR forgets and rewrites history with emotions.

Good day sir, until the next Tyrod thread.

If they play the Bills this season, they are overrated and suck. Get with the program dude.

If they play the Bills this season, they are overrated and suck. Get with the program dude.

I go to Baltimore often. Great stadium, great fanbase, nice atmosphere. Great home record, great playoff record.

Aside from that they suck I guess. On To week 1. I'll be there, hope we can sneak out a win.

I go to Baltimore often. Great stadium, great fanbase, nice atmosphere. Great home record, great playoff record.

Aside from that they suck I guess. On To week 1. I'll be there, hope we can sneak out a win.

Yep. Anyone who thinks the Ravens will be pushovers this year, or that the opener in Baltimore will be an easy win for Buffalo, is deluded.

Paying average QB's stupid money is a good way to screw up your franchise.

I know when I ruin franchises, I like to win Superbowls. It is good to know that it's not even 3 years after a Superbowl win that your franchise is ruined.

Yep. Anyone who thinks the Ravens will be pushovers this year, or that the opener in Baltimore will be an easy win for Buffalo, is deluded.

I worry about this game. and i worry about the Jets.

On any Sunday is very true.

But Ravens have a great program and it should be quite the chess match between Coaches

Edited by 3rdand12

It's an interesting side by side comparison of Baltimore and Buffalo. Over the last 3 years, they've both averaged finishing third in their respective divisions. Both teams have won exactly 23 games over that timeframe. The Ravens best year (2014) was better than the Bills best year (2015), but their worst year (2015) was worse than the Bills worst year (2013). Regardless of all that and whether one makes the argument that the Bills are getting younger while the Ravens are getting older, opening day home teams have gone 29-19 in the last 3 years combined.

So one other thing I looked at is how the eventual playoff teams of each season fare in week 1. Collectively, they have gone 22-14 over the three seasons combined, with 10 of those 22 games being won on the road. I won't go far as to saying that the opening day road game against Baltimore is a must win, but the Bills-Jets game in week 2 would certainly become so, should that happen.

It's an interesting side by side comparison of Baltimore and Buffalo. Over the last 3 years, they've both averaged finishing third in their respective divisions. Both teams have won exactly 23 games over that timeframe. The Ravens best year (2014) was better than the Bills best year (2015), but their worst year (2015) was worse than the Bills worst year (2013). Regardless of all that and whether one makes the argument that the Bills are getting younger while the Ravens are getting older, opening day home teams have gone 29-19 in the last 3 years combined.

So one other thing I looked at is how the eventual playoff teams of each season fare in week 1. Collectively, they have gone 22-14 over the three seasons combined, with 10 of those 22 games being won on the road. I won't go far as to saying that the opening day road game against Baltimore is a must win, but the Bills-Jets game in week 2 would certainly become so, should that happen.

Painfully good post.

We have some odds to overcome it seems Luxy !

I know when I ruin franchises, I like to win Superbowls. It is good to know that it's not even 3 years after a Superbowl win that your franchise is ruined.

Yep all down hill after paying a stupid contract to a mediocre QB. Doing so makes your former Super Bowl winning team garbage as we will see week 1

We have a very real shot at 3-1 in September. Most predictable loss is AZ, but my boys and I are flying up for it anyway. None are gimme wins, nor absolute losses.

We need it as the schedule gets tougher in the later months. Let's see if all of this improved defense, TT eyes, gelling of the team is true or BS. FLR NOW, I'll enjoy my kook-aid as I hate to have nothing to look forward to this year.