Unpopular opinion thread

Good, but not great yet is a far cry from "the Rex Ryan" of anything.

That's fair, he's a much better coach than Rex IMO. I think that the Rex comparison was more on the big mouth without the trophies. They constantly have a microphone or camera on them because they are interesting. Belicheck is an amazing coach but not that interesting. I'd much rather watch Harbaugh do something goofy as I think most would. I don't think that they are a great comparison in terms of the quality of coaches that they are.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And 18 in the other. Also, a big MAYBE on the playoffs. We have yet to see a conference have 2 teams. I don't believe that they would have been given the same chance as a team that already beat them that year.

I agree on Marv not being able to win with a stacked group.

Harbaugh is good but not great. That's my whole point. When I get some time later today I will take his 3 biggest games every year as a HC and figure out his record. I'd bet that it isn't .500. He's also only played on the biggest stage 1 time.

You are fixated on a few games and are ignoring the circumstances in which he found each of the last 3 teams he has coached. To me, that is a strange way to judge him. He has been on the move 3 times in the past 9 years. And a guy like Swinney has been around one team for the same amount of time and played in one really "big game"..and lost.

You are fixated on a few games and are ignoring the circumstances in which he found each of the last 3 teams he has coached. To me, that is a strange way to judge him. He has been on the move 3 times in the past 9 years. And a guy like Swinney has been around one team for the same amount of time and played in one really "big game"..and lost.

Is that fair? He won the national semifinals, his conference championship game, he beat a good ND team, he beat a good FSU team and that was just last year!! He beat OSU in the Orange Bowl, he beat LSU in the Chick-fil-a Bowl. In addition, he is 75-27 (9 seasons) in his career with 5 straight double digit win seasons & 4 bowl wins. Harbaugh is 39-24 in 6 seasons & has 2 bowl wins.

I am just going to let the topic die because the thread has clearly gone off the rails. I believe that Harbaugh is a good coach but overrated. Others believe that he is great. Neither of us are going to be changing our opinions (especially in the offseason) so that's it for me on the topic. I was going to do his "big game" record but it doesn't really matter. Back to your regularly scheduled unpopular opinions....

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Is that fair? He won the national semifinals, his conference championship game, he beat a good ND team, he beat a good FSU team and that was just last year!! He beat OSU in the Orange Bowl, he beat LSU in the Chick-fil-a Bowl. In addition, he is 75-27 (9 seasons) in his career with 5 straight double digit win seasons & 4 bowl wins. Harbaugh is 39-24 in 6 seasons & has 2 bowl wins.

I am just going to let the topic die because the thread has clearly gone off the rails. I believe that Harbaugh is a good coach but overrated. Others believe that he is great. Neither of us are going to be changing our opinions (especially in the offseason) so that's it for me on the topic. I was going to do his "big game" record but it doesn't really matter. Back to your regularly scheduled unpopular opinions....

When he wins a Pinstripe Bowl, come talk to me. Obviously.

I put this in another thread but I suppose it probably belongs here:

The NHL is "sort of" one of the 4 major sports. It is a regional sport and the ratings reflect that. The Stanley Cup averaged less than 4M viewers in the U.S. By comparison, it is roughly the equivalent of your average Monday Night Raw episode. That's roughly 1/3 of the people watching the Indianapolis 500.

The reality is the NHL is LIGHT YEARS from the other leagues. I'm a hockey fan but they aren't on equal footing with the other 3 leagues. You can't have 10% of the people watching and consider yourself an equal.

They need to increase scoring to help the league. On a positive spin the Sabres team is starting to look really good. Just a few missing pieces and some chemistry with the young guys!

First, let me say that I love Fred Jackson and think the world of the man.

Freddy only really had three solid years of playing and only one, one thousand yard season. Fred never did play a full sixteen game season either as the starting RB. Fred played nine seasons in the NFL and he never was really healthy long enough to be that rock solid starter needed with only three years with over 200 carries.

By comparison, Thurman had 9 seasons with over 200 carries with 5 of those close to 300 carries and 2 seasons of over 300 carries. In his 12 years in Buffalo, he had eight 1000 yard seasons. His sixteen thousand yards from scrimmage in 12 years is more than double Freddy's 8,643 in 8 years.

What a lot of people don't know about Thurman Thomas is that he played injured every game of every year in his career. He had played on bad ankles in college and that stayed with him all throughout his NFL career. He would tape them up and take a shot, then go out and play. Let's not forget the kid who kept Barry Sanders on the bench at Oklahoma St, and his head coach with the State Cowboys was Jimmy Johnson.

Thurman Thomas was in a class by himself and had other teams QB's like the Miami Dolphins Dan Marino and Denver's John Elway both stating that they wished that had a RB with Thurman's talent on their teams.

Well, this is the unpopular opinion thread. And I'm not intending to demean Thurman who deserves to be the HOF.

But when Fred was in his prime (a short-lived prime, to be sure) and healthy (not often enough), I was in awe of his ability to consistently make something out of nothing. I think both Eric Moulds and Fred Jackson tend to be underrated because (#1) they played on losing teams, (#2) and their statistics didn't fully reflect their ability largely because of #1.

Thurman played behind a good line on a good offense. He had a HOF QB and a HOF WR (sometimes two) drawing attention away from him. And as you know, the TE was pretty good too.

Fred played behind a crap line on a talent-poor offense.

In both 2009, and 2010, PFF ranked him Freddy of the top 4 most elusive backs in the NFL because he broke tackles and got his yards on his own. In fact, 76% of the yards Fred got in 2009 running outside the tackles came after contact (#1 in the NFL - in comparison, Adrian Peterson earned 64% of his yards after contact).

Fred's 2,516 combined yards in 2010 is 5th most in NFL history.

Thurman averaged 4.2 yards per carry over his career, playing on good teams. In his best year, he averaged 4.9.

Freddy average 4.4 yards per carry over his career, playing on bad teams. In his best year, he averaged 5.5.

Both Fred and TT were good out of the backfield. Fred was probably better at blitz pickup.

If Fred played in the early 90s instead of Thurman - and stayed healthy - he'd be in the HOF too.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/the-elusive-rating/

https://www.profootballfocus.com/elusive-rating-2010/

https://www.profootballfocus.com/between-the-tackles-part-2/

I could write a novel in response to this but I'll leave you with a couple thoughts. Number one, you are aware, of course, that Thurman Thomas led the league in all-purpose yards three consecutive years and owns an NFL MVP, right? And two, TBD fallacy #1 is that the Bills' OL always sucks. The Bills' offensive line was above average between about 07-08. It was as good as any in the league in 2012 (or whatever year CJ averaged 6 YPC). It was mediocre in between. At no point was the offensive line an abomination or preventing a running back from producing. In fact, quite the opposite, the Bills have always had good RB production throughout this stretch, no matter how bad they've been as a team. And Fred Jackson might be my favorite Bills player ever. But come on dude. Edited by metzelaars_lives

Well, this is the unpopular opinion thread. And I'm not intending to demean Thurman who deserves to be the HOF.

But when Fred was in his prime (a short-lived prime, to be sure) and healthy (not often enough), I was in awe of his ability to consistently make something out of nothing. I think both Eric Moulds and Fred Jackson tend to be underrated because (#1) they played on losing teams, (#2) and their statistics didn't fully reflect their ability largely because of #1.

this thread is all about hot takes and I know we all have them - just need to be brave enough to share and face the backlash. Thanks for your opinion.

I would never ever eat one of those disgusting Rochester Garbage Plates. That slop looks like someone hurled onto a dish.

Not really worth it these days, anyway.

Back in the day, when Nick Tahoe's had five cigarette machines lined up in a row, and the grill cook ALWAYS had a cigarette hanging out of his mouth- often with about an inch and a half long ash- and the prostitutes would be lined up outside on the street, THAT'S when the garbage plate got its name. They didn't even know for years that that is what their customers called it. You would order either a hotdog plate, or hamburger plate with double everything. Eventually, they found out what all the drunk night clubbers were calling it, and embraced the name as their signature dish.

Rochester cuisine at its finest.

Edited by Rocky Landing

I could write a novel in response to this but I'll leave you with a couple thoughts. Number one, you are aware, of course, that Thurman Thomas led the league in all-purpose yards three consecutive years and owns an NFL MVP, right? And two, TBD fallacy #1 is that the Bills' OL always sucks. The Bills' offensive line was above average between about 07-08. It was as good as any in the league in 2012 (or whatever year CJ averaged 6 YPC). It was mediocre in between. At no point was the offensive line an abomination or preventing a running back from producing. In fact, quite the opposite, the Bills have always had good RB production throughout this stretch, no matter how bad they've been as a team. And Fred Jackson might be my favorite Bills player ever. But come on dude.

Ask Bill from NYC about the lines those two years.

In 2007 the line consisted of LT Jason Peters-LG Derrick Dockery-C Melvin Fowler-RG Brad Butler-RT Langston Walker. Peters was the only pro bowler on the line and quite frankly the rest absolutely stunk besides Butler who was around average at his best. Walker and Dockery were overpaid slugs and Fowler was almost completely useless.

Marshawn Lynch did manage to get 1115 rushing yards in his rookie year with 7 TD's with a 4.0 YPC Avg. The problem was he was usually carrying two or three defenders on his back every yard after the line of scrimmage. 12th in rushing attempts and 15th in rushing yards.

Rotoworld ranked this line 22nd for 2007 and that wasn't above average. http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/30679/59/?pg=2

2008 the line consisted of LT Jason Peters- LG Derrick Dockery- C Duke Preston-RG Brad Butler- RT Langston Walker. Fowler was thankfully replaced after five game starts and his replacement in Preston also stunk. I can recall the Bills playing the NY Jets this year and it was on TV being announced by Phill Simms. Jets NT Kris Jenkins was triple teamed on one play by Preston, Butler, and Dockery and Jenkins was still able to get to the Bills QB. Hence the reason Dick Jauron drafted Center Eric Wood with a #1 pick and OG Andy Levitre with a #2 pick. 13th in rushing attempts and 14th in rushing yards that year.

ESPN ranked this line 21st for 2008 and that wasn't above average. http://espn.go.com/fantasy/football/ffl/story?id=3447747

Having one or two above average players, or in the 2015 & 2012 Buffalo Bills case, it was three players, still doesn't make an elite line. Although ranked above average, It takes five players working in unison to make a top competent line. Only one pro bowl line player from those two seasons and Richie Incognito graded as the very best OG in the league.

Bills fans vastly overrate the 2004 Pittsburgh game as one of the worst losses in franchise history. Everyone talks about that game like they were playing UB. The Steelers were a very deep and talented team who happened to have young backups like Willie Parker, Ike Taylor and James Harrison, who became mainstays for the Steelers the following year. Hardly 'scrubs' as they've been described here over the years.

Even sitting whoever they sat that day, Pittsburgh was still a better team.

Jacksonville was the infuriating game from that season.

Man, if this guy is right... Yolo will be crying this year.

Michigan might be the safest Playoff pick in the country; I don't think the Wolverines are the best team, but look at that schedule. 7-0 heading into East Lansing should be expected. 8-4 would be a disaster. The Wolverines should have a monstrous defense, and the only real Q is at quarterback, where there are decent options on paper.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/6/28/12046584/bowl-projections-ncaa-football-playoff-predictions-lsu-clemson-michigan-tcu?yptr=yahoo

And

https://www.profootballfocus.com/college-why-michigan-could-have-college-footballs-best-defense-in-2016/

Michigan might be the safest Playoff pick in the country; I don't think the Wolverines are the best team, but look at that schedule. 7-0 heading into East Lansing should be expected. 8-4 would be a disaster. The Wolverines should have a monstrous defense, and the only real Q is at quarterback, where there are decent options on paper.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/6/28/12046584/bowl-projections-ncaa-football-playoff-predictions-lsu-clemson-michigan-tcu?yptr=yahoo

And

https://www.profootballfocus.com/college-why-michigan-could-have-college-footballs-best-defense-in-2016/

he will :cry::cry::cry: ..... :nana:

And

A good Michigan team is good for college football. I miss rooting against them.