Sabres & NHL 2016-17 - Victor Antipin Signs One Year Deal

Who hired Bylsma? How much respect did Babcock have for Murray? Who forgot to hire actual defenseman? Murray is the architect of the disaster that Bylsma can't turn around. If the players have respect for Murray it is youthful naïveté. I'm not defending Bylsma but I'm not going to slam him for being unable to make lemonade from the stream of lemons Murray dished out.

Babcock had enough respect to visit.

Murray has been here 3 drafts and has gotten Kane, O'Rielly and Okposo. There weren't many quality free agent defensemen available in any of the last three seasons that Murray hasn't tried to sign. He hasn't hooked them but in reality there are too many factors to just point the finger at him.

While Bylsma has struggled, he is a Stanley Cup winning viach who came to a team that wss really just starting a rebuild.

Your crusade against Murray is very tired. This franchise can't keep changing management because it doesn't work over a short period.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We are looking at legitimate shot at top 5 pick assuming no change from lottery draw....also how does vegas factor into the draft? I think moving this years pick for a top pairing defenseman is the way to go...hopefully one becomes available....

Murray has been here 3 drafts and has gotten Kane, O'Rielly and Okposo. There weren't many quality free agent defensemen available in any of the last three seasons that Murray hasn't tried to sign. He hasn't hooked them but in reality there are too many factors to just point the finger at him.

While Bylsma has struggled, he is a Stanley Cup winning viach who came to a team that wss really just starting a rebuild.

Your crusade against Murray is very tired. This franchise can't keep changing management because it doesn't work over a short period.

What Babcock did is called leverage.

Listen, I get it. It's hard to win in the NHL. God forbid Murray was a decent guy and treated people nicely and with respect. If he did he would have been vilified and run out of town already like Jauron. Jauron's record is far better than Murray's and yet Murray is the guy we're supposed to all get behind while Jauron was the worst coach ever? Why? Does Murray really get that much of a pass simply for being a complete and total douche bag all the time? Whatever.

Ideally no franchise would have frequent changes in management but ineptitude is ineptitude. What is he going to do about the defense? Is there a shred of evidence he even has a clue what to do? Will he draft a couple of good ones and put us on a 5 year plan to get the 8 seed? OMG.

And how bad a track record can a guy have with goalies? When he was TRYING TO LOSE he couldn't even pick the right goalie. He had to trade two of them away. Then when he is supposedly trying to win he puts all his eggs in the basket of a psychotic freak with a neck tattoo that plays with all the consistency of a psychotic freak with a neck tattoo. Great one day, horrible the next. And honestly would anyone be surprised if his stick broke and he murdered an opposing player right in his crease by stabbing him with the jagged end? And all of that because our viable alternative supposedly had a gentleman's agreement to stay and then boom......gone. If that happened to Jauron it would have been a bunch of "nice guys finished last" being written everywhere but when it happens to Murray it's Chad Johnson who is to blame. Murray gets a pass because he is a douche bag. It's weird.

I just wanna say this to thebug:

You are such a bug! Good luck... At least you guys won't be in the lottery.

:-)

Easy.........they are not in the playoffs yet!!!!

I know you will be secretly pulling for them if they do get in! 😀

What Babcock did is called leverage.

Listen, I get it. It's hard to win in the NHL. God forbid Murray was a decent guy and treated people nicely and with respect. If he did he would have been vilified and run out of town already like Jauron. Jauron's record is far better than Murray's and yet Murray is the guy we're supposed to all get behind while Jauron was the worst coach ever? Why? Does Murray really get that much of a pass simply for being a complete and total douche bag all the time? Whatever.

Ideally no franchise would have frequent changes in management but ineptitude is ineptitude. What is he going to do about the defense? Is there a shred of evidence he even has a clue what to do? Will he draft a couple of good ones and put us on a 5 year plan to get the 8 seed? OMG.

And how bad a track record can a guy have with goalies? When he was TRYING TO LOSE he couldn't even pick the right goalie. He had to trade two of them away. Then when he is supposedly trying to win he puts all his eggs in the basket of a psychotic freak with a neck tattoo that plays with all the consistency of a psychotic freak with a neck tattoo. Great one day, horrible the next. And honestly would anyone be surprised if his stick broke and he murdered an opposing player right in his crease by stabbing him with the jagged end? And all of that because our viable alternative supposedly had a gentleman's agreement to stay and then boom......gone. If that happened to Jauron it would have been a bunch of "nice guys finished last" being written everywhere but when it happens to Murray it's Chad Johnson who is to blame. Murray gets a pass because he is a douche bag. It's weird.

I'm not going to get as carried away with the same scathing assessment of the GM that you are presenting here. But where I agree with you is the Lehner deal. The first round pick used for that deal could have been used on a player who would have been a top two line forward. Instead, that caliber of player will be on the Senators.

Is Lehner demonstrably better than Chad Johnson or even Nielsson? I would say no. He has moments where he shines but he also has lapses that bring his overall performance back to the pack.

The only good things about this season is that it is mercifully coming to a close and the Sabres will have another high pick. The players are obviously dispirited and packing it in. I'm hoping that Murray doesn't act out of desperation and make deals for short term gains that prove to be damaging like the Lehner deal.

This!

I think I'm ok with it. It screws with the schedule way to much. If I was a owner/coach I really don't want my players getting injured either. They earn their money with the club. Hockey Canada or US Hockey doesn't pay the bills.

I'm good with it too. I just don't see the league gaining enough from the Olympics to shut things down for a couple weeks. It was big when it was in places like Salt Lake City and Vancouver, but once these things go overseas, we're left with crazy viewing hours that do very little for the average hockey fan in North America. I know they want to expand their brand as far as possible, but I've always felt that these games in Russia or South Korea only hurt the NHL's base.

And that doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of the injury issues you mentioned.

I am very curious to see where the US and Canada draw their rosters from now. Are the NCAA teams going to lose players for a full season like they did in the old days? I started college right after the NHL jumped in on the Olympics, so I just missed out on seeing the impact of that system on a big time hockey school like BU. Things have changed a lot since then, with far more players having the incentive to leave earlier. Having that additional flight risk could really hurt those programs, granted that it is just a once every four years thing (IF the NHL doesn't come back).

On schedule for a lower point total than last year. Rebuild working?

Don't worry. At least they have a caustic douche bag of a GM. Imagine if we had a decent human being like Jauron running the show. Then the pitchforks would be out. At least this way we get "continuity".

For God's sake in this thread it has been documented that an AHL team was thrilled to get rid of this loser. But we have to keep him so we can scratch our way into the 2031-32 playoffs? And we get the added bonus of having this dick talk down to everyone. Hoo ray.

Yeah I didn't really understand what Ristolainen was so upset about. I watched the replay a bunch of times and all I seen was Kadri getting pushed into the goalie and then cross checked/slashed repeatedly by 2 separate Buffalo Sabres, but I didn't see Kadri actually do anything.

Maybe something happened that we didn't see? Kadri is a bit of a pest, it wouldn't surprise me...

Ristolainen was charged up all game though. He was one of the few Sabres that actually looked engaged in the game. Half the damn team looked like they had no interest in being there.

Don't blame Risto, I think I read on K's lips something about doing something to oneself and something about a cat in the same sentence.

Kadri is a good pest, sometimes embarrassing for the fans...

We are looking at legitimate shot at top 5 pick assuming no change from lottery draw....also how does vegas factor into the draft? I think moving this years pick for a top pairing defenseman is the way to go...hopefully one becomes available....

Vegas is picking 3rd no matter what, IIRC.

I think moving this years pick for a top pairing defenseman is the way to go...hopefully one becomes available....

Well, according to Paul Hamilton, Fowler was available last year for our 1st, but GMTM decided to go with Kulikov for his top pair left handed D man and Nylander...be interesting to watch how that plays out over the next 5 years or so.

BTW, Fowler aint going nowhere now...that ship done be sailed

Vegas is picking 3rd no matter what, IIRC.

Close. They're automatically given the third best chance of winning lottery. So they can draft anywhere from 1st to 6th, depending on how the lottery plays out. Then they get the 3rd pick in every other round.

Edited by shrader

Well, according to Paul Hamilton, Fowler was available last year for our 1st, but GMTM decided to go with Kulikov for his top pair left handed D man and Nylander...be interesting to watch how that plays out over the next 5 years or so.

If that's the case....I have a real problem with Murray.....he missed so badly on kulikov it makes me question his evaluation of players

Weren't there rumors at the time that the Ducks wanted Reinhart as well?

I'm good with it too. I just don't see the league gaining enough from the Olympics to shut things down for a couple weeks. It was big when it was in places like Salt Lake City and Vancouver, but once these things go overseas, we're left with crazy viewing hours that do very little for the average hockey fan in North America. I know they want to expand their brand as far as possible, but I've always felt that these games in Russia or South Korea only hurt the NHL's base.

And that doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of the injury issues you mentioned.

I am very curious to see where the US and Canada draw their rosters from now. Are the NCAA teams going to lose players for a full season like they did in the old days? I started college right after the NHL jumped in on the Olympics, so I just missed out on seeing the impact of that system on a big time hockey school like BU. Things have changed a lot since then, with far more players having the incentive to leave earlier. Having that additional flight risk could really hurt those programs, granted that it is just a once every four years thing (IF the NHL doesn't come back).

I can't speak to what the US program did being from Canada. I know way, way back in the day Canada would just pick one of the better Jr. teams and send them over to play lol. As I remember a bunch of players I never heard of in the Olympics. They scrounged them up from the minors and jr's I guess. Fran Huck was the best player they had :cry:

Edited by Dante

According to Hamilton Fowler was also offered to Montreal for their first round pick. They declined the deal. Would Fowler have made much of a difference this year? I'm not so sure that he would have made much of a difference on a unit that is so lacking. My preference is still keeping the pick that was used on Nylander. I also would have preferred that Murray not give up a first round pick for Lehner that could have been used on a player who would now be ready or near ready to play on the top two lines.

I'd rather have the 1st, especially a top 10 1st. Kulikov played well for Florida, I didn't mind the pick up at the time. Injuries killed his season, i don't think he was close to being healthy until recently. But even healthy he's not a difference maker, a 4 at best.

Regarding Toronto, they have a lot of young talent and so much speed. But I don't think they're physical enough to make any noise in the playoffs. They may have a favorable match-up in round 1 if they can seed mid-pack, but once they get to Washington, Pittsburgh, or even C-Bus, can they match up physically? I haven't watched enough of their games to truly know, just the impression I get watching last nights game.

I can't speak to what the US program did being from Canada. I know way, way back in the day Canada would just pick one of the better Jr. teams and send them over to play lol. As I remember a bunch of players I never heard of in the Olympics. They scrounged them up from the minors and jr's I guess. Fran Huck was the best player they had :cry:

Typically they'd put together a group of guys a few months in advance and they'd pull from the best available non-NHL options. I'd imagine it was very similar to today's process for picking the world junior rosters, except there's a wider talent pool with the age restriction removed. So that winds up being major junior, NCAA, and any of the guys playing in european leagues. Maybe some of those leagues can be convinced to shut down for a couple weeks during the process, but not the NCAA. If those guys go, they're missing a significant portion of their season.

According to Hamilton Fowler was also offered to Montreal for their first round pick. They declined the deal. Would Fowler have made much of a difference this year? I'm not so sure that he would have made much of a difference on a unit that is so lacking. My preference is still keeping the pick that was used on Nylander. I also would have preferred that Murray not give up a first round pick for Lehner that could have been used on a player who would now be ready or near ready to play on the top two lines.

Was his suggestion that this deal would be made in place of the Kulikov one or alongside it?