Sabres & NHL 2016-17 - Victor Antipin Signs One Year Deal

Even if they go with that "czar" approach, he's still going to have to be the one that hires that person. If the GM is going to be the one in that role, then so be it, but he (the GM) then needs to be the one to hire a coach.

Agreed, they have to eventually trust someone, but I'd argue that the president/czar role is an easier hire to make based off of past accomplishments and gut feelings on someone.

The lower you move down the organizational chart into more direct hockey/football operations, the less qualified I feel they are to make those hires. Yet they seem dead set on making them. The Bills is a clearer example.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What burns my goat is that Pegula did the whole houseclean with the Sabres but not the Bills.

WHY

Because Murray had total control over personnel and the coach with even worse results while Whaley has never been afforded that kind of power to call all of the shots.

Could you elaborate? I have no clue what you are suggesting?

I don't know who the old money is that would be tied in with the News. But, I'm guessing by his editorial comment he is referring to the News being left wing and taking an editorial stance against a presumed right winger who made his money in fracking?

@BJWilsonWGR

On Viktor Antipin, @FriedgeHNIC said this morning on WGR that unless he's told otherwise, he still assumes that he'll join the #Sabres

This is good news. Antipin had a fantastic playoff run, was name MVP defenseman. He had a darn good regular season too, by all accounts. He is still pretty young (26?), is a LHD and Buffalo needs blue line help desperately. So I definitely hope this does still get done.

Because Murray had total control over personnel and the coach with even worse results while Whaley has never been afforded that kind of power to call all of the shots.

Agreed. I think the Pegulas understand that Whaley has always been under someone's thumb. That doesn't excuse his mistakes, but it's a completely different situation.

Agreed. I think the Pegulas understand that Whaley has always been under someone's thumb. That doesn't excuse his mistakes, but it's a completely different situation.

When the misguided owner hired Rex he hurt Whaley's ability to fully act on his beliefs. That was a crippling decision for Whaley because Whaley accommodating and executing Rex's out-dated philosophy damaged not only the team's chances but also eroded his authority because of the faltering of the team he was presiding over.

As I said in another post it's my sense that McDermott has the last say on personnel decisions. That's a shame because this year I believe that Whaley was ready to invest a first round pick on a qb while McDermott is less inclined to do so.

I thought he did a good job explaining his process. Talked to everyone and decided changes were needed. Wants a more experienced crew in place to handle a young team.

Thought it was strange how he talked about the young athletes, like he treats them like his kids or something. Could be a part of the problem with players feeling able to go over the coach and gm and talk right to owner. Just a thought

@BJWilsonWGR

On Viktor Antipin, @FriedgeHNIC said this morning on WGR that unless he's told otherwise, he still assumes that he'll join the #Sabres

. Any real help on defense is a good thing

I thought he did a good job explaining his process. Talked to everyone and decided changes were needed. Wants a more experienced crew in place to handle a young team.

Thought it was strange how he talked about the young athletes, like he treats them like his kids or something. Could be a part of the problem with players feeling able to go over the coach and gm and talk right to owner. Just a thought

. Any real help on defense is a good thing

Guhle should be ready next year and Casey Nelson should be ready as a third or fourth pairing defenseman. Add in the Russian from the KHL then you start to have a reshaping of that unit. They still need to add in a mainstay caliber defenseman. I'm not sure what is going to happen with Kulikov who was plagued with injuries for most of the season. Terry Murray stated that he wasn't even sure that Kulikov wants to be here.

What burns my goat is that Pegula did the whole houseclean with the Sabres but not the Bills.

WHY

must feel those bums are doing a good job, don't worry FO wont be around long but I expect McDermott to stick around for a long time, he might even pick the new GM or more accurately talent evaluator and cap guru.

I don't know who the old money is that would be tied in with the News. But, I'm guessing by his editorial comment he is referring to the News being left wing and taking an editorial stance against a presumed right winger who made his money in fracking?

Right Wing !!!

Rick Dudley, president....Paul Fenton, GM.....Phil Housley, HC

I would absolutely LOVE Rick Dudley as team president or even GM.

Paul Fenton would also be good though. Both Dudley and Fenton would be amazing.

We did try to get Rick Dudley last time though, and he decided to stay in Montreal. They even gave him a raise (and a promotion?) too, because they didn't want him going anywhere.

Maybe things have changed in the past few years, who knows. We can hope, right? He does still have a house here IIRC.

just back from a run and listened to Travis Yost from Friday with Schoop. Man, that dude is not very high on Risto. I know Risto's advanced numbers not good, but Yost does not see him as a top 2 guy. His opinion is if a GM can just evaluate and get the D right, Sabres forwards will be much better as a result.

It is interesting to look at the possession numbers when Risto had his 3 game break, but I guess I was just thinking that a result of being ridden like a rented mule all year.

Edited by plenzmd1

just back from a run and listened to Travis Yost from Friday with Schoop. Man, that dude is not very high on Risto. I know Risto's advanced numbers not good, but Yost does not see him as a top 2 guy. His opinion is if a GM can just evaluate and get the D right, Sabres forwards will be much better as a result.

It is interesting to look at the possession numbers when Risto had his 3 game break, but I guess I was just thinking that a result of being ridden like a rented mule all year.

There is a distorting effect when you examining the numbers of a player playing on a good team compared to playing on a bad team. The numbers don't necessarily reflect the talent. A top shelf player's stats such as Boston Jack's numbers are not as high because so many of his terrific passes aren't converted.

Risto was not playing with a good unit. He got more ice time than he should have (as you noted). In addition, the forwards were not always responsible in their defensive responsibilities which reflects back to the defensemen.

Risto is not only our best defenseman on our team he is also one of the better young and upcoming defensemen in the game. Scotty Bowman recently raved about him on WGR.

As far as I am concerned he is one of the few anchor players on this team. This isn't the type of player you consider trading as much as he is the type of player you build around.

As far as I am concerned he is one of the few anchor players on this team. This isn't the type of player you consider trading as much as he is the type of player you build around.

He did float the idea of trading him, and I always think of him and Jack as the only untouchables

There is a distorting effect when you examining the numbers of a player playing on a good team compared to playing on a bad team. The numbers don't necessarily reflect the talent. A top shelf player's stats such as Boston Jack's numbers are not as high because so many of his terrific passes aren't converted.

Risto was not playing with a good unit. He got more ice time than he should have (as you noted). In addition, the forwards were not always responsible in their defensive responsibilities which reflects back to the defensemen.

Risto is not only our best defenseman on our team he is also one of the better young and upcoming defensemen in the game. Scotty Bowman recently raved about him on WGR.

Watching the Caps last night and seeing how deep their defense is makes me wonder if Jake McCabe could even make it as 5th or 6th man on that unit. I consider him our number 2 but he is well below the Caps 3rd or 4th, imo