R. I. P. Gordie Howe

Namesake for The Gordie Howe hat trick and one of the all-time greats.

Ranks right up there with Gretzky, Lemiuex, Orr, Dionne, and Richard as the true legends

One of the greats for sure! R.I.P. Crazy thing is he only had 2 "Gordie Howe hat tricks" his whole NHL career!

Edited by thebug

I got to see Gordie play on the Hartford Whalers with his two sons. One story I love is someone took a swipe at Marty Howe, and both ended up on the ice. Gordy picked the offender up with his two fingers inserted inside the dudes nose and said something to the effect of "don't !@#$ with my sons". Gordy was in his 50's! Ole time hockey. RIP Gordy

Born in 1928 in Floral, Sask., Howe was the sixth of nine children. In his recent autobiography, Mr. Hockey, Howe says his mother was chopping wood when she went into labor with him.

“With only a couple of kids around for company, she put some buckets of water on the stove and got into bed,” Howe wrote. “After I was born, she cut the umbilical cord herself and waited for my father to come home.”

That picture of Gordie on the fishing boat is an absolute classic. Reminded me of the one of Tim Horton. Wish I could find it.

I did find this one of Bobby Hull though. I dont think there are too many hockey players built like this anymore.

original.jpg?1340222707

Found the picture of Tim Horton that I was thinking of

30fd4fe785b5445e4f48c723b1e32d0b.jpg

Edited by BuffaloBud

@si_vault

Gordie Howe poses with 11-year-old Wayne Gretzky:

CkmSLPXWUAA0VTB.jpg

B1Mox8XIQAA5FsH.jpg

Dang Gordie was jacked! No wonder he played so long. I read somewhere a long time ago that he played into his 60s in lower level Hockey. What is the Howe Hat Trick ?

Too bad he couldn't hold out a few more days to see the Stanley Cup winner.

I always tell my wife I hope I don't die before the Superbowl and preferably after the draft, but when it's your time it's your time.