6/6/1944

dib

A French customs agent was being rude to an American tourist. The tourist asked the agent if he spoke German.

The agent responded "no".

The American tourist said "You're welcome"

Thank You Boys.

A French customs agent was being rude to an American tourist. The tourist asked the agent if he spoke German.

Thank You Boys.

:thumbsup:

May we never forget.

Saying thank you will never be enough.

Took advantage of already being in Europe when I went to see the Bills play in London and extended my trip to see Normandy and Caen France for two days.

One quite moving experience there on the 28th and 29th of October.

That's pretty amazing. It was truly a world war. Interesting how he mentioned that we are running out of people to talk to that were alive then. I've been reading up on and watching a lot of documentaries about WWII recently and wanted to talk with my mom more about it. She was in her late teens during the war. I want to hear her perspective of what it was like then. We look at it through the lens of history knowing how it eventually ended. But for those living it they had no idea how It was going to end. Must have been pretty nerve wracking.

Thank You Boys.

Well played.

I feel like watching band of brothers right about now.

Its remarkable how the 18-22 yr old men back then jumped from c47s into darkness surrounded by flak, and rushed off of landing craft facing hundreds of yards of beach with opposing cliffs manned by mg42s and 88s.

To put that in perspective on how great and courageous their accomplishments were for freedom, compare that to the 18 - 22yr old "men" of today.

Don't forget about the pacific, North African or Mediterranean campaigns either.

Amazingly as much as we sacrificed, the eastern front was exponentially more brutal and deadly.

Edited by drinkTHEkoolaid

That's pretty amazing. It was truly a world war. Interesting how he mentioned that we are running out of people to talk to that were alive then. I've been reading up on and watching a lot of documentaries about WWII recently and wanted to talk with my mom more about it. She was in her late teens during the war. I want to hear her perspective of what it was like then. We look at it through the lens of history knowing how it eventually ended. But for those living it they had no idea how It was going to end. Must have been pretty nerve wracking.

It's kind of scary the way the video keeps moving up and up and up and up...for the Russian casualties.

It also demonstrates something I've always said: if you want to minimize casualties in a war, make it brief ("short and lively," as the Prussians called it). Fighting a war halfway isn't merciful - it leads to long, drawn-out wars that kill far more people. Fight as thoroughly and violently as possible, and end it quickly.

Well played.

I feel like watching band of brothers right about now.

Its remarkable how the 18-22 yr old men back then jumped from c47s into darkness surrounded by flak, and rushed off of landing craft facing hundreds of yards of beach with opposing cliffs manned by mg42s and 88s.

To put that in perspective on how great and courageous their accomplishments were for freedom, compare that to the 18 - 22yr old "men" of today.

Don't forget about the pacific, North African or Mediterranean campaigns either.

Amazingly as much as we sacrificed, the eastern front was exponentially more brutal and deadly.

With all due respect, you're wrong. I know plenty of 18 year old punks who joined on 9/12/2001 and are now mid-to-late 30's career military men who have fought multiple tours of duty in the Middle East. When duty calls, punk kids turn to adults really quick. If duty called today, there'd be thousands of young punks who drop out of high school a week short of graduation to go off and die heroes.

It's kind of scary the way the video keeps moving up and up and up and up...for the Russian casualties.

It also demonstrates something I've always said: if you want to minimize casualties in a war, make it brief ("short and lively," as the Prussians called it). Fighting a war halfway isn't merciful - it leads to long, drawn-out wars that kill far more people. Fight as thoroughly and violently as possible, and end it quickly.

Yes the Russian casualties graph was incredible. I have been watching WWII in Color on Netflix. Most of the film I've never seen before and I thought I'd see it all. Stalingrad was insane.

With all due respect, you're wrong. I know plenty of 18 year old punks who joined on 9/12/2001 and are now mid-to-late 30's career military men who have fought multiple tours of duty in the Middle East. When duty calls, punk kids turn to adults really quick. If duty called today, there'd be thousands of young punks who drop out of high school a week short of graduation to go off and die heroes.

No doubt but I don't think we'd have to numbers joining like they did in WWII. Sure it was a different war but still lots of weenies out there now. Just look at the safe space issues. It started with the draft dodgers/hippies during Vietnam.

Yes the Russian casualties graph was incredible. I have been watching WWII in Color on Netflix. Most of the film I've never seen before and I thought I'd see it all. Stalingrad was insane.

No doubt but I don't think we'd have to numbers joining like they did in WWII. Sure it was a different war but still lots of weenies out there now. Just look at the safe space issues. It started with the draft dodgers/hippies during Vietnam.

To put Stalingrad in perspective: take a city, of about 400k people. Destroy it - all of it, even the basic infrastructure (i.e. no fresh water, and no sewers.) Put 1.5 million people in it for four months. Kill about 1 million of them (and God only knows how many horses), and leave their bodies to rot.

Stalingrad was probably the worst battlefield of the war, and that includes Guadalcanal ("faecaloid"), the swamps at Buna ("damp ground..." damp to your neck), New Georgia (what many veterans called the worst battle they'd ever fought, simply for the absolute personal filth they had to deal with,) Okinawa (reknown for having been an open sewer/graveyard), and even Iwo. Maybe Passchendale in World War 1 was worse.