RIP Harambe

/dev/null

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You do know that happens, right? People do call CPS, and parents have their kids taken from them, for such "free-range parenting."

Which, back when I was a kid, was simply called "parenting."

And if you've never killed a Jew, don't judge Hitler and expect to be taken seriously.

ive never been a gynecologist but I can take a look

It absolutely blows me away how many crazy people there are about this freaking thing.

It's even more asinine when they refer to the the gorilla by his first name, like they're pen pals, and lament about how don't nee these parents must be.

Do me a favor, if you really think this is your idea of bad parenting, get out of your pretty little bubble and drive to poorest part of your nearest city. Spend the day walking around and then get back to me about what you consider to be bad parenting and inhumane treatment of an animal.

don't need to. Average income for single woman is $24k in my town, family just under $43k/yr. I see and supervise these people at work. It's tough. They lead great lives despite low income. One man I work with doesn't clear $20k a yr with 4 kids, two of them handicap. He has plans for two more with his new wife.

I was in the grocery store a couple years ago and a mother said to her 5 or 6 year old son "don't wander away, you might get kidnapped." Are you !@#$ing kidding me?? Oh yeah kids get kidnapped every day in grocery stores. And talk about traumatizing your child for life.

Just a week or two ago I was in an airport and there was a couple with their child, maybe 2-3 years old (just old enough to walk on their own, you know that slow step by step walk with arms in the air) They were not paying attention to them at all, they were walking in front of said child, I was even able to get between them and the kid, blocking their view of it. It wasn't until I got past them that they even thought to turn around and see where their kid was.

Just a week or two ago I was in an airport and there was a couple with their child, maybe 2-3 years old (just old enough to walk on their own, you know that slow step by step walk with arms in the air) They were not paying attention to them at all, they were walking in front of said child, I was even able to get between them and the kid, blocking their view of it. It wasn't until I got past them that they even thought to turn around and see where their kid was.

Did the same thing once at Niagara Falls. Kid was toddling along about 30 feet behind dad. Wife and I got between him and kid, and blocked his view. It was probably 30 seconds before he turned around and couldn't see his kid. And panicked. It was a good, cheap lesson all around - for him, about keeping a closer eye on his child, and me, for realizing how unbelievably quick and easy it would be for someone to kidnap a child.

Did the same thing once at Niagara Falls. Kid was toddling along about 30 feet behind dad. Wife and I got between him and kid, and blocked his view. It was probably 30 seconds before he turned around and couldn't see his kid. And panicked. It was a good, cheap lesson all around - for him, about keeping a closer eye on his child, and me, for realizing how unbelievably quick and easy it would be for someone to kidnap a child.

How much ransom did you collect?

When it comes to the fate of the gorilla there is plenty of controversy, and differing opinions. When it comes to parenting skills I don't understand how there can be differing opinions. The arguements on here are making me laugh. There is NO way anyway can argue that this wasn't horrible parenting. I don't get how anyway can argue otherwise. The irony is that on my local news just after the gorilla story they showed a guy who was arrested for sitting in the house while his child crossed the road. What's the difference? No one would say a kid wandering the expressway is good parenting. How are people trying to say it the gorilla incident was a simple mistake? The whole thing is sad and pathetic. Why do people feel the need to have more children than they can handle.

When it comes to the fate of the gorilla there is plenty of controversy, and differing opinions. When it comes to parenting skills I don't understand how there can be differing opinions. The arguements on here are making me laugh. There is NO way anyway can argue that this wasn't horrible parenting. I don't get how anyway can argue otherwise. The irony is that on my local news just after the gorilla story they showed a guy who was arrested for sitting in the house while his child crossed the road. What's the difference? No one would say a kid wandering the expressway is good parenting. How are people trying to say it the gorilla incident was a simple mistake? The whole thing is sad and pathetic. Why do people feel the need to have more children than they can handle.

I can only speak for myself...bad parenting? Sure. But, to say that most parents are bad is a gross exaggeration & one I objected to. I know people feel the need to hyperbolize, but, they should have some idea of what they are talking about.

There's a very good case to be made that it wasn't good parenting (that case being: your kid ended up being picked up by a literal gorilla.)

But it's very easy to get hyperbolic about it, as Beerball said. The inevitable "black and white" interpretation that everything must be shoved in to by American culture belies the simple observation that there is indeed a spectrum of parenting between "keeping your kids on an actual leash" and "throwing your kid into the gorilla pit." I'd wager that "being distracted for the ten seconds it takes your little house ape to commune with the large forest ape" lies somewhere in the middle of that spectrum.

But then, this is a group of posters who still, after 15 years, can't accept that Flute and Johnson BOTH sucked. So carry on...

I blame Harambe's parents. He was only 17.

I blame Obama.

...that there is indeed a spectrum of parenting between "keeping your kids on an actual leash" and "throwing your kid into the gorilla pit." ...

My brother was one of the ones that needed to be kept on a leash, because he would be gone in an instant. We even have pictures of him at home on the dogs runway behind the house. One example, he decided one day to ride his tricycle down the road to the neighbors. This wasn't some housing development street, this was a state highway, 55mph, with a blind turn. He's lucky someone spotted him before hitting him and basically stopped traffic so my mom could get him.

My brother was one of the ones that needed to be kept on a leash, because he would be gone in an instant. We even have pictures of him at home on the dogs runway behind the house. One example, he decided one day to ride his tricycle down the road to the neighbors. This wasn't some housing development street, this was a state highway, 55mph, with a blind turn. He's lucky someone spotted him before hitting him and basically stopped traffic so my mom could get him.

In some ways it is amazing more kids don't run into tragedy...they do stupid things because they don't know any better...

In some ways it is amazing more kids don't run into tragedy...they do stupid things because they don't know any better...

I can't even list all the times I should have died before I was six. (At least two of them involve Jarts, of course.)

There's a difference between horrible parenting and distracted parenting accident which can happen when you're responsible for more than one supercharged kid heading in different directions. Normally not as dire a situation, and I don't know the story here but I can easily argue that it might not be horrible parents or parenting.

There's a difference between horrible parenting and distracted parenting accident which can happen when you're responsible for more than one supercharged kid heading in different directions. Normally not as dire a situation, and I don't know the story here but I can easily argue that it might not be horrible parents or parenting.

Of course, there's the counter-argument that if you have more than one supercharged kid heading in all different directions, your hyperactive little monkeys are indicative of horrible parenting that started way before you went to the zoo.

Taken from a FB post

Amanda O'Donoughue

I am going to try to clear up a few things that have been weighing on me about Harambe and the Cinci Zoo since I read the news this afternoon.
I have worked with Gorillas as a zookeeper while in my twenties (before children) and they are my favorite animal (out of dozens) that I have ever worked closely with. I am gonna go ahead and list a few facts, thoughts and opinions for those of you that aren't familiar with the species itself, or how a zoo operates in emergency situations.

Now Gorillas are considered 'gentle giants' at least when compared with their more aggressive cousins the chimpanzee, but a 400+ pound male in his prime is as strong as roughly 10 adult humans. What can you bench press? OK, now multiply that number by ten. An adult male silverback gorilla has one job, to protect his group. He does this by bluffing or intimidating anything that he feels threatened by.

Gorillas are considered a Class 1 mammal, the most dangerous class of mammals in the animal kingdom, again, merely due to their size and strength. They are grouped in with other apes, tigers, lions, bears, etc.
While working in an AZA accredited zoo with Apes, keepers DO NOT work in contact with them. Meaning they do NOT go in with these animals. There is always a welded mesh barrier between the animal and the humans.
In more recent decades, zoos have begun to redesign enclosures, removing all obvious caging and attempting to create a seamless view of the animals for the visitor to enjoy watching animals in a more natural looking habitat. *this is great until little children begin falling into exhibits* which of course can happen to anyone, especially in a crowded zoo-like setting.

I have watched this video over again, and with the silverback's postering, and tight lips, it's pretty much the stuff of any keeper's nightmares, and I have had MANY while working with them. This job is not for the complacent. Gorillas are kind, curious, and sometimes silly, but they are also very large, very strong animals. I always brought my OCD to work with me. checking and rechecking locks to make sure my animals and I remained separated before entering to clean.

I keep hearing that the Gorilla was trying to protect the boy. I do not find this to be true. Harambe reaches for the boys hands and arms, but only to position the child better for his own displaying purposes.
Males do very elaborate displays when highly agitated, slamming and dragging things about. Typically they would drag large branches, barrels and heavy weighted balls around to make as much noise as possible. Not in an effort to hurt anyone or anything (usually) but just to intimidate. It was clear to me that he was reacting to the screams coming from the gathering crowd.

Harambe was most likely not going to separate himself from that child without seriously hurting him first (again due to mere size and strength, not malicious intent) Why didn't they use treats? well, they attempted to call them off exhibit (which animals hate), the females in the group came in, but Harambe did not. What better treat for a captive animal than a real live kid!
They didn't use Tranquilizers for a few reasons, A. Harambe would've taken too long to become immobilized, and could have really injured the child in the process as the drugs used may not work quickly enough depending on the stress of the situation and the dose B. Harambe would've have drowned in the moat if immobilized in the water, and possibly fallen on the boy trapping him and drowning him as well.
Many zoos have the protocol to call on their expertly trained dart team in the event of an animal escape or in the event that a human is trapped with a dangerous animal. They will evaluate the scene as quickly and as safely as possible, and will make the most informed decision as how they will handle the animal.
I can't point fingers at anyone in this situation, but we need to really evaluate the safety of the animal enclosures from the visitor side. Not impeding that view is a tough one, but there should be no way that someone can find themselves inside of an animal's exhibit.
I know one thing for sure, those keepers lost a beautiful, and I mean gorgeous silverback and friend. I feel their loss with them this week. As educators and conservators of endangered species, all we can do is shine a light on the beauty and majesty of these animals in hopes to spark a love and a need to keep them from vanishing from our planet. Child killers, they are not. It's unfortunate for the conservation of the species, and the loss of revenue a beautiful zoo such as Cinci will lose. tragedy all around.

*me working (very carefully) with a 400+ pound silverback circa 2009

Of course, there's the counter-argument that if you have more than one supercharged kid heading in all different directions, your hyperactive little monkeys are indicative of horrible parenting that started way before you went to the zoo.

I think that's a very fine arguement as well. My only issue with people that say it wasn't horrible parenting is based on one simple fact. The fact that millions of little brats with horrible parents visit zoos every year. How often does this happen? To me that's why this takes the cake as an example of horrible parenting. Just my little bit. Maybe my biggest issue is because I'm slightly biased when it comes to people who have four kids, and claim oops when something happens. Don't have that many kids that you likely can't afford if you can't watch them. The woman works at a daycare for crying out loud. There is no way someone who supposedly cares for children for a living should have her own end up in a gorilla exhibit. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

I can't even list all the times I should have died before I was six. (At least two of them involve Jarts, of course.)

My close friend was once neighbors with the inventor of Jarts.