Marquise Goodwin Listed on SI's 50 Fittest List

But Goodwin is still on the team ? couldn't some of you just a wait awhile longer to give up the deservedly negative report. I am still hoping he scores us a touchdown or 3 this year. Plenty of time to B word about him post season when he is no longer a Bill

You aren't hearing me.

You don't need to like the player to appreciate the production.

This is a major stumbling block for a lot of you.

You think you gotta' love these guys..........you don't.

When they play well cheer........when they stink.......or don't show up for OTA's or skip camp.......then feel free to boo.

They are professionals......as long as you aren't following them around and disrupting their daily lives then it's fair game

BTW, I am hoping he scores 10 TD's this year so I guess I like him more than you. :flirt:

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it is.

"If you're Sammy or Woods and you're busting your ass and playing with a load of injuries, and next camp the guy who sat on the bench last year didn't even bother to show to train and work with the team, you might not get peeved? I'm not saying the entire team hates him, but it's not far-fetched."

Note the the "not" in front of saying the entire team hates him.

What I meant was that it's not far-fetched to think Sammy or Woods might not be the biggest fans of the guy who doesn't play because he's hurt skipping TC when they play through grievous injuries and attend. I'm not saying the entire team hates him. Not.

I read it correctly Chan.

When you added " its not far fetched " is when the statement shifted.

I just wonder how you have talked your self into this is even something that is truly going on. If you are suggesting it, you have thought it plausible.

That Goodwin has caused irritation among other players, and possibly is hated.

You aren't hearing me.

You don't need to like the player to appreciate the production.

This is a major stumbling block for a lot of you.

You think you gotta' love these guys..........you don't.

When they play well cheer........when they stink.......or don't show up for OTA's or skip camp.......then feel free to boo.

They are professionals......as long as you aren't following them around and disrupting their daily lives then it's fair game

BTW, I am hoping he scores 10 TD's this year so I guess I like him more than you. :flirt:

You said laundry.

I root for them.

His statement was pretty uncool. There were more comments about the fans, and those were my clue he is disingenuous.

I don't love them so much as hope for them. I would like to see some quality production honestly.

I have no problem with us folks arguing our sides and staying strong in an opinion, as long as we can keep talking and thinking. and learning.

See, I want the Bills to Win too.

I read it correctly Chan.

When you added " its not far fetched " is when the statement shifted.

I just wonder how you have talked your self into this is even something that is truly going on. If you are suggesting it, you have thought it plausible.

That Goodwin has caused irritation among other players, and possibly is hated.

The "it's not far-fetched" was in reference to the speculation that Woods/Sammy might have a bit of an issue with him, not the team hating him thing. I probably could've worded it better. I do not think the team hates Goodwin. At all. Zero. Zilch.

I could be dead wrong, sure. But I think about how hard of a worker Sammy is, how much time he puts in, how he fights through injuries. I think of how passionate Woods is, playing through a torn groin for an entire year. And this kid who has caught 3 passes in 3 years is skipping TC? I could be annoyed, in their situation.

Let me conclude and drop it with this. If Goodwin was cut, and Woods made a slight comment about him not being committed to football to a reporter in August, it wouldn't surprise me.

Edited by FireChan

The "it's not far-fetched" was in reference to the speculation that Woods/Sammy might have a bit of an issue with him, not the team hating him thing. I probably could've worded it better. I do not think the team hates Goodwin. At all. Zero. Zilch.

I could be dead wrong, sure. But I think about how hard of a worker Sammy is, how much time he puts in, how he fights through injuries. I think of how passionate Woods is, playing through a torn groin for an entire year. And this kid who has caught 3 passes in 3 years is skipping TC? I could be annoyed, in their situation.

Let me conclude and drop it with this. If Goodwin was cut, and Woods made a slight comment about him not being committed to football to a reporter in August, it wouldn't surprise me.

yes Chan I agree it could irk some.

lets hope all those guys are pros.

Like i said if blame is to be meted out It should be the BIlls front office. Just my opinion.

BTW my opinion can change

Ha !!

You all are kill me here.

Why is anyone even arguing about a guy that has caught 20 balls in 3 years? WHY???

Regardless what the fans that respect him or back him want to believe in him, the fact is he's just not a good football player. He can't stay healthy either.

He absolutely did lie to the Bills organization, and the fan base. He gladly took their money and continues to take their money to train for the Olympics in Rio. He's stated this as a fact. And FYI, there have been players in the past that have attempted both sports at this level. One I can think of off the top of my head is our precious RBs coach Tyrone Wheatley. He attempted to make the 1996 Olympics at the 110 meter hurdles. He lost that race and when interviewed they asked him if he was going to keep up with it going forward and he specifically stated how he was dedicated to his football team and that he didn't have the time or dedication that it takes to compete in the Olympics. Not that he would have ever made it anyway. He was fast but not Olympics fast. I watched the event with my own eyes and I have it on tape somewhere if you really want me to break out the vcr I'll try.

Goodwin has also made comments about Bills fans, football fans, and the city of Buffalo itself. I'm not really sore why anyone would stick up for this idiot. I haven't seen people fall so head over heals for someone who's so worthless since Roscoe Parrish. And even he had some talent. Couldn't stay healthy, but talented. At kickoffs at least.

Edited by mrags

Sworn testimony? I didn't realize you had to have a hand on the Bible to mean what you say. Goodwin is clearly not doing whatever he can to help the team, as evidenced by missing TC and OTA's. He lied here. He's not a football guy first. Clearly.

Lied? To whom? The Bills or the media? One matters way more than the other when you're trying to build the case you're making, that's my point. You're making the case that he lied and mislead the team -- but using an interview to the media as proof.

There's no evidence whatsoever that he mislead or lied to the Bills about his intentions. What he says to the media doesn't matter, that's for the fans and for selling the game. What matters is what was said behind closed doors when the GM and coaches sat down with Goodwin in Indy or any of the meetings they had with him. Show me where he misled them there, and I'm on your side.

You realize he's missing training camp this year, right? Is anyone else missing TC to follow their "dreams?" Perhaps Jordan Mills is missing as well to pursue his dream of being on the World Series of Poker? Oh, no.

What can the Bills do but give him permission? Honest question. They've already invested a third rounder and the time into him. Clearly, the only thing they can do is hope it works out at this point. No reason to cut him today for skipping out. They don't get the pick back.

Not all dreams are created equal.

Representing your country in the Olympics is the absolute pinnacle for the majority of athletes around the world. The locker room is filled with guys who played multiple sports coming up, some of them track, they understand the opportunity Goodwin has before him, maybe better than most fans. There's no evidence that this has caused a divide in the locker room (I don't have unbelievable connections but I get a good amount of info from the players side and I've never heard anything but love for Goodwin), or with the coaching staff or front office.

This outrage is invented because it's the off season and we need something to do. I get it. But it's still silly.

As for your second point, the Bills could have done any number of things: 1) They could have not drafted him, (again, I'm going with the more reasonable logic that they were aware when they drafted a world class track and field guy that he'd want to compete in the ultimate track and field event) 2) They could cut him (which they still might do), 3) They could have denied him permission to go to Rio (they'd take a PR hit but it'd be small, football is still king in this country after all).

But did the Bills do any of those things? Nope. They let him go, because this isn't really an issue for the team or his teammates. This is a once in a life time chance and they're giving Goodwin their full support to chase his dream. I say good for them.

It certainly was a possibility that Goodwin wouldn't care about his teammates or his word. Not sure I'd blame the organization for believing a player that they invested in. It was a possibility Jamarcus Russell wouldn't give a **** and wouldn't actually watch tape, but what could the Raiders do?

You're speculating wildly here. You're assuming he misled them while offering no evidence that he did. I'm not seeing the "he lied and scammed the team" at all in any of this. What a guy says to the media isn't the same as what he tells the coaches and front office.

Until there's an article or report or sound byte confirming he misled them, you're getting all upset about nothing. Show me that evidence and I'm on your side. But until then it's far more reasonable to assume the Bills knew Goodwin would pursue the Olympics if given the chance. And if they didn't, that's on them.

Positive PR is the only positive. Not sure Whaley or Rex should be caring about that at this point. Also look at this contradiction. He's a "borderline roster guy" but, as you state, the 3rd best WR on the roster. Wouldn't you want him trying a little harder to, you know, make the team and contribute? Especially after investing in him?

More speculation. You're assuming he isn't trying to improve when he may very well be. Yes, training for the long jump is different than training for football. But let's not make football out to be more complicated than it really is. Despite the NFL hype, football is NOT a year round sport. It doesn't require a full year of conditioning or training to perform at peak levels.

Goodwin has three years experience under his belt, a full year in Roman's playbook, he knows what to expect on Sundays and in training camp -- there are literally dozens of ways he can multi-task and improve without being at camp. And if he doesn't improve, he's in real danger of not making the roster anyway. So how can you blame the guy? Should he really skip a once in a life time opportunity to represent his country at the Olympics for practice with a team that might cut him regardless?

Come on, I love ya' but you're trying really hard here to be outraged over something that's such a non-issue. :beer:

Goodwin has not been "productive" for 3 years, bro. He's been getting killed by Chris Hogan. You don't think skipping TC and getting in football shape has any correlation with staying healthy?

Disagree. Hogan wasn't more talented than Goodwin, Hogan was just better at staying healthy -- which, in the NFL, counts more than talent a lot of the time. Can't make the team from the tub, after all. And the two most recent injuries that sidelined Goodwin weren't preventable. He broke a wrist (or hand) making a catch and he broke his ribs when an O-Lineman kneed him in a pile. Those aren't preventable injuries.

Besides, missing the grind of two-a-days in August might actually help him stay healthy through the season.

(I wrote a longer post answering all of your points then it got deleted and I ran out of steam trying to re-do it. Happy to discuss the other points :beer:)

Lied? To whom? The Bills or the media? One matters way more than the other when you're trying to build the case you're making, that's my point. You're making the case that he lied and mislead the team -- but using an interview to the media as proof.

There's no evidence whatsoever that he mislead or lied to the Bills about his intentions. What he says to the media doesn't matter, that's for the fans and for selling the game. What matters is what was said behind closed doors when the GM and coaches sat down with Goodwin in Indy or any of the meetings they had with him. Show me where he misled them there, and I'm on your side.

Not all dreams are created equal.

Representing your country in the Olympics is the absolute pinnacle for the majority of athletes around the world. The locker room is filled with guys who played multiple sports coming up, some of them track, they understand the opportunity Goodwin has before him, maybe better than most fans. There's no evidence that this has caused a divide in the locker room (I don't have unbelievable connections but I get a good amount of info from the players side and I've never heard anything but love for Goodwin), or with the coaching staff or front office.

This outrage is invented because it's the off season and we need something to do. I get it. But it's still silly.

As for your second point, the Bills could have done any number of things: 1) They could have not drafted him, (again, I'm going with the more reasonable logic that they were aware when they drafted a world class track and field guy that he'd want to compete in the ultimate track and field event) 2) They could cut him (which they still might do), 3) They could have denied him permission to go to Rio (they'd take a PR hit but it'd be small, football is still king in this country after all).

But did the Bills do any of those things? Nope. They let him go, because this isn't really an issue for the team or his teammates. This is a once in a life time chance and they're giving Goodwin their full support to chase his dream. I say good for them.

You're speculating wildly here. You're assuming he misled them while offering no evidence that he did. I'm not seeing the "he lied and scammed the team" at all in any of this. What a guy says to the media isn't the same as what he tells the coaches and front office.

Until there's an article or report or sound byte confirming he misled them, you're getting all upset about nothing. Show me that evidence and I'm on your side. But until then it's far more reasonable to assume the Bills knew Goodwin would pursue the Olympics if given the chance. And if they didn't, that's on them.

More speculation. You're assuming he isn't trying to improve when he may very well be. Yes, training for the long jump is different than training for football. But let's not make football out to be more complicated than it really is. Despite the NFL hype, football is NOT a year round sport. It doesn't require a full year of conditioning or training to perform at peak levels.

Goodwin has three years experience under his belt, a full year in Roman's playbook, he knows what to expect on Sundays and in training camp -- there are literally dozens of ways he can multi-task and improve without being at camp. And if he doesn't improve, he's in real danger of not making the roster anyway. So how can you blame the guy? Should he really skip a once in a life time opportunity to represent his country at the Olympics for practice with a team that might cut him regardless?

I understand all of what you've posted here and acknowledge it's not an unreasonable take, but I respectfully disagree. Goodwin went out of his way when drafted to tell everyone he is a "football player who also does track." It appears what he meant to say was, "I'm a track athlete who can make more money more quickly by playing football so I'll do that for a while." Which is fine, IF he was keeping himself on the field and being productive as a player while he took the Bills' money.

There is little evidence (that I can see) of Goodwin's efforts to make himself a better, more consistent, more reliable football player. There's plenty of evidence of his efforts to win a gold medal in the long jump at his employer's expense.

I actually believe the Bills allowing Goodwin to "follow his dream" is more evidence of organizational incompetence than doing the "right thing." They're his employer, and they're allowing him to take their money while he devotes nearly 100% of his efforts into something that is not football related. Aside from being "in shape" it's clear Goodwin's training isn't serving him well in the NFL. He hasn't been developing chemistry with his QB, working on his routes, catching footballs, etc.

I don't know much about training for the long jump but is there a legitimate reason why Goodwin couldn't be at OTAs and still be training?

Then, last week, Goodwin comes out and bashes Bills (and football) fans for not being more positive like "track fans?" Give me a break.

I'll restate what I wrote above -- I'm not bothered by any of this if Goodwin was established as a proven, reliable contributor to the Buffalo Bills. He's not.

I'm a Bills fan, not a track fan.

You all are kill me here.

Why is anyone even arguing about a guy that has caught 20 balls in 3 years? WHY???

Regardless what the fans that respect him or back him want to believe in him, the fact is he's just not a good football player. He can't stay healthy either.

He absolutely did lie to the Bills organization, and the fan base. He gladly took their money and continues to take their money to train for the Olympics in Rio. He's stated this as a fact. And FYI, there have been players in the past that have attempted both sports at this level. One I can think of off the top of my head is our precious RBs coach Tyrone Wheatley. He attempted to make the 1996 Olympics at the 110 meter hurdles. He lost that race and when interviewed they asked him if he was going to keep up with it going forward and he specifically stated how he was dedicated to his football team and that he didn't have the time or dedication that it takes to compete in the Olympics. Not that he would have ever made it anyway. He was fast but not Olympics fast. I watched the event with my own eyes and I have it on tape somewhere if you really want me to break out the vcr I'll try.

Goodwin has also made comments about Bills fans, football fans, and the city of Buffalo itself. I'm not really sore why anyone would stick up for this idiot. I haven't seen people fall so head over heals for someone who's so worthless since Roscoe Parrish. And even he had some talent. Couldn't stay healthy, but talented. At kickoffs at least.

It reminds me of how you used to rave about how awesome Spiller was. CJ this, CJ that. Man, you loved you some CJ Spiller.

@JohnMurphyShow

Olympics? NFL? Both? We'll talk with #Bills WR Marquise Goodwin tonight 830pm @flashg88dwin

Looking forward to some excerpts from this.

Wonder if Murph will bring the " Fans " question.

Goodwin is right of course.

We are wishy washy extremely hard to please unhappy vulgar drunkards as a group overall.

well the first part anyways.

I think he has been reading the boards. HAHA !! Because more than half of you beat the snot out of him here as soon as he is mentioned

But that is the life an NFL player fan relationship i guess.

This year is put up or shut for him.

I expect it to be his last as Bill. and thats okay. Should he exceed expectations? Even better

Marquise Goodwin: Chasing an Olympic Dream (13:28)

Bills WR Marquise Goodwin joined The John Murphy Show to discuss his return to One Bills Drive for the team's mandatory minicamp, his bid for an Olympic medal in long jump, and getting back to football after he chases his Olympic dream.

@WGR550

Goodwin on mandatory minicamp - I plan on being here with the team. Glad to be back #Bills

Goodwin will not participate in workouts, does not want to risk injury with long jump trials for the Olympics coming up in a couple of weeks

Goodwin on qualifying for the Olympics - It's been a pretty good process, and I'm enjoying it

Goodwin on the Olympics - the only expectation I have is to have fun. I just want to be me and compete #Bills

Goodwin on injuries - it's been tough. It's just a part of the game though. I just have to control what I can control and keep it moving

Goodwin on football with the Olympics - I just take things day to day. I just do what I'm told. When my name is called, I'll be ready to go