Marquise Goodwin Listed on SI's 50 Fittest List

You think???

Right. I'm sure that whichever distances Graham's times were better were the "meaningful" events, and the ones in which Goodwin was faster were probably meaningless. I think...

posted all of their times years ago. Graham is significantly faster than Goodwin. I know this to be true. But Goodwin had one better time for a PR though graham had better average times. And I said I think it was one event that was the 60m. An indoor kitty race

Gimmick? I'm nonplussed. I have no idea what your definition of a "gimmick" would be. But, whatever. I'm completely uninterested with the Graham vs. Goodwin debate, which has no bearing on anything I can think of. Goodwin, as of this moment, is still a Bill, and Graham is long gone.

40 times mean crap. I was a 4.6 40. Put pads on me and I was just over 4.7. That's rare. Most lose a lot of time. About .2 to .3 seconds on the football field it doesn't alwYs translate wellwhen you have real movement and pads. Speed is so much different in the nfl and it's rare for any player to run more than 40 yards on the average play

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

posted all of their times years ago. Graham is significantly faster than Goodwin. I know this to be true. But Goodwin had one better time for a PR though graham had better average times. And I said I think it was one event that was the 60m. An indoor kitty race

40 times mean crap. I was a 4.6 40. Put pads on me and I was just over 4.7. That's rare. Most lose a lot of time. About .2 to .3 seconds on the football field it doesn't alwYs translate wellwhen you have real movement and pads. Speed is so much different in the nfl and it's rare for any player to run more than 40 yards on the average play

I don't think anyone is claiming Goodwin is Usain Bolt.........but he is much better than Graham in the long jump obviously so that makes him a viable olympic talent where Graham is a complete non-factor in any aspect of international track and field.

On longer distance runs taller runners with longer legs are going to be better even if they have lower rpm's......but until football fields become 200M-300M long what football fan would care? That's like running from Hammer's house to the west end zone. :lol:

And with pads on Goodwin is both faster and MUCH quicker than TJ was.........not even close.

Goodwin gets very good separation on all routes.............Graham was not as fast as advertised with pads on and nowhere near as quick. Not even close!

But I will say this........we were both proven right about Goodwin's intentions by the interview he just did.

All the clowns demanding "proof" got it when he admitted that he only plays football to put some money in his family coffer.

He flat out lied when he was drafted and said he was a football player first......clearly implying that he was all in/passionate about becoming a good football player.

All the people who tried to make the excuse that track was just a hobby and "what's the harm" yada yada........well you just got served by one Glass Goodwin.

He completely scammed the Bills organization and their fans.......he basically took the past couple years off to train for track and collected a Bills paycheck.

And if he weren't capable of becoming a dynamic weapon he would have been cut a couple years ago.

Now it's about what will benefit US.......the Bills and their fans.

That is for him to be forced to find his want-to by virtue of circumstance........winning a gold medal in a random track event isn't going to put much money in his pocket.........but it is not a help wrt getting him to focus on his paying job.

Hence.......I am rooting for a faceplant. :worthy:

If he does get his **** together he could help the team and going into UFA it would likely be the best thing for his family in the long run too.

He flat out lied when he was drafted and said he was a football player first......clearly implying that he was all in/passionate about becoming a good football player.

All the people who tried to make the excuse that track was just a hobby and "what's the harm" yada yada........well you just got served by one Glass Goodwin.

He completely scammed the Bills organization and their fans.......he basically took the past couple years off to train for track and collected a Bills paycheck.

:lol::lol:

This is a nutty stance to take. He "lied" and "scammed" the team that chose to draft him? How does that work? College players don't have a say in where and when they get drafted other than the game tape they have on their resume. Are you asking us to believe that if you had other worldly athletic talent that would allow you to compete at the highest levels in two different sports, one of which pays insanely more money than the other, you would have acted any differently?

Please.

:lol::lol:

This is a nutty stance to take. He "lied" and "scammed" the team that chose to draft him? How does that work? College players don't have a say in where and when they get drafted other than the game tape they have on their resume. Are you asking us to believe that if you had other worldly athletic talent that would allow you to compete at the highest levels in two different sports, one of which pays insanely more money than the other, you would have acted any differently?

Please.

It's a job. He misled his employer into investing millions of dollars into him, for a job he wasn't committed to. At its core, that's dishonest.

It's a job. He misled his employer into investing millions of dollars into him, for a job he wasn't committed to. At its core, that's dishonest.

Buyer beware. No one in Goodwin's shoes would have done differently. No one.

But even if they would, it doesn't make what he did "lying" or "scamming". The Bills chose to draft him. He's played and given up his health and body to the team. He's done what's been asked of him. The fact he prefers one sport over the other is such a non story it's comical. Hell, we live in America. Greed is good, right? We have to earn what we can when we can because there's a shelf life for everyone's talents.

Good on Goodwin I say. And folks who have an issue with it are projecting their own jealousy onto the situation in my mind.

Buyer beware. No one in Goodwin's shoes would have done differently. No one.

But even if they would, it doesn't make what he did "lying" or "scamming". The Bills chose to draft him. He's played and given up his health and body to the team. He's done what's been asked of him. The fact he prefers one sport over the other is such a non story it's comical. Hell, we live in America. Greed is good, right? We have to earn what we can when we can because there's a shelf life for everyone's talents.

Good on Goodwin I say. And folks who have an issue with it are projecting their own jealousy onto the situation in my mind.

The Bills chose to draft him, yes. But he signed a contract to play and get paid for doing so. You trying to spread blame by removing his own agency from the equation is not going to work.

Funnily enough, the crux of your argument is not that Goodwin wasn't dishonest, just that we'd all do the same in his position, then you praise him for being dishonest. Interesting take. I'm a fan of the Bills, not a fan of Goodwin swindling the team of money and resources so he can do his own thing on the Bills' dime.

I can't say I wouldn't do the same. Luckily, I'm not in that position. But even if I did do what Goodwin did, I could admit it was dishonest and I screwed the Bills. There's a difference between ethics and what is permitted. I wouldn't feel "good" about misleading an entity for personal gain.

The Bills chose to draft him, yes. But he signed a contract to play and get paid for doing so. You trying to spread blame by removing his own agency from the equation is not going to work.

Funnily enough, the crux of your argument is not that Goodwin wasn't dishonest, just that we'd all do the same in his position, then you praise him for being dishonest. Interesting take. I'm a fan of the Bills, not a fan of Goodwin swindling the team of money and resources so he can do his own thing on the Bills' dime.

I can't say I wouldn't do the same. Luckily, I'm not in that position. But even if I did do what Goodwin did, I could admit it was dishonest and I screwed the Bills. There's a difference between ethics and what is permitted. I wouldn't feel "good" about misleading an entity for personal gain.

How did he screw the Bills?

How did he screw the Bills?

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Marquise-Goodwin-People-underestimate-me-as-a-complete-football-player/4ebd3838-13bd-43d9-9387-d01b4f978a46

Q: What do you think you need to work on at the next level?

A: Just helping my team win. Go up to Buffalo and do whatever I can to help the team win. Really what I need to work on, I’d say, being able to just be durable through the whole season. I made it through this season without any serious injuries or my whole career at Texas. But just finishing through a whole game, playing 60-70 snaps, being available.

Q: With your kick return experience, did you do any gunner there?

A: I did it all since I’ve been at Texas. I’m looking forward to do whatever I need to do to help the team.

Q: You’ve been called a track guy who plays football, so explain why you’re a football guy that just happens to run track?

A: I’m a football guy that just happens to run track because I just got drafted by the Buffalo Bills. First of all given my honest to God for the opportunity, my school and everybody. But I don’t think if I was strictly a track guy trying to play football that I would’ve been drafted, especially in this round with the numbers that I have. Obviously somebody thought enough to invest in me because they saw me as a football player.

Italics mine.

Goodwin's a "football guy who happens to run track" who does "whatever he needs to do to help the team," except skipping workouts and TC to run track. Do you think the Bills draft him in the third round and sign him if he said he was gonna try to pursue his Olympic dream and miss training camp to do so? Do you think Goodwin has lived up to the things he said he would in this draft interview?

This guy isn't a team player. He's selfish. EJ Manuel sucks at his job and is hated by 50% of the fanbase but he shows up and busts his ass at every practice, optional or no. What's Goodwin's excuse? He just likes track more? How anyone says "good for Goodwin," a guy who doesn't give a flying !@#$ about his organization, his coaches, and most importantly, his teammates, is mind boggling.

He's tying up both a spot on the 53 as well as resources, all because he lied his ass off. Preseason standout WR's that we had last year who busted their ass didn't make the team because we lose money if we cut Goodwin. He has the team by the balls. Good for him, I guess.

Edited by FireChan

No one put a gun to the front office's head to keep him. They could have cut him anytime. To say he lied, scammed,etc. is silly. He pursued both opportunities and risked being cut, but they didn't do it.

If my son had a chance to win a gold medal, but was talented enough to play in the NFL, I'd have no problem with him pursuing both opportunities. I would counsel him he risks losing one or the other if he tries to do both, but ultimately it's up to him to make it work.

F Whaley and Rex don't want him, he won't make it past camp.

And yes, I know he'll miss part of camp for the olympics, but you get my point. When it gets to the 53 cut, the Olympics will be over. Get has to live with their decision.

No one put a gun to the front office's head to keep him. They could have cut him anytime. To say he lied, scammed,etc. is silly. He pursued both opportunities and risked being cut, but they didn't do it.

If my son had a chance to win a gold medal, but was talented enough to play in the NFL, I'd have no problem with him pursuing both opportunities. I would counsel him he risks losing one or the other if he tries to do both, but ultimately it's up to him to make it work.

F Whaley and Rex don't want him, he won't make it past camp.

And yes, I know he'll miss part of camp for the olympics, but you get my point. When it gets to the 53 cut, the Olympics will be over. Get has to live with their decision.

If you do not like Goodwin maybe your anger should turn to the Bills for drafting him and them keeping him ?

This is his last year, so relief from this tension he causes some here directly.

Should quickly dissipate, soon enough ? Not sure.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Marquise-Goodwin-People-underestimate-me-as-a-complete-football-player/4ebd3838-13bd-43d9-9387-d01b4f978a46

Q: What do you think you need to work on at the next level?

A: Just helping my team win. Go up to Buffalo and do whatever I can to help the team win. Really what I need to work on, I’d say, being able to just be durable through the whole season. I made it through this season without any serious injuries or my whole career at Texas. But just finishing through a whole game, playing 60-70 snaps, being available.

Q: With your kick return experience, did you do any gunner there?

A: I did it all since I’ve been at Texas. I’m looking forward to do whatever I need to do to help the team.

Q: You’ve been called a track guy who plays football, so explain why you’re a football guy that just happens to run track?

A: I’m a football guy that just happens to run track because I just got drafted by the Buffalo Bills. First of all given my honest to God for the opportunity, my school and everybody. But I don’t think if I was strictly a track guy trying to play football that I would’ve been drafted, especially in this round with the numbers that I have. Obviously somebody thought enough to invest in me because they saw me as a football player.

How do any of these comments screw the Bills? And when did we start taking sound bytes as sworn testimony?

Goodwin's a "football guy who happens to run track" who does "whatever he needs to do to help the team," except skipping workouts and TC to run track.

Voluntary workouts.

And the team gave him permission to train for the Olympics. So again, how is this screwing the Bills?

Do you think the Bills draft him in the third round and sign him if he said he was gonna try to pursue his Olympic dream and miss training camp to do so?

There's no way the Bills didn't know this was a possibility when they drafted him. If they didn't think he would try out for the Olympics, then that's on them for poor vetting of a prospect. That's not on Goodwin.

Besides, having a Bill represent the USA in the Olympics is a PR boon to a team who hasn't made the playoffs in 16 years. Considering he has their blessing to do so, I fail to see how he is screwing the team by representing his country. It's not as if he's their number 1 WR, he's a borderline roster guy at this point.

Do you think Goodwin has lived up to the things he said he would in this draft interview?

I still think Goodwin is the third best WR on their roster, and frankly still think he's been more the victim of bad breaks than being "Glass". But the results speak for themselves. So far in his career he's been unable to stay healthy. When he's been healthy, he's been a productive member of the team. I've yet to see his track and field career being in any way a detriment to his teammates or team in Buffalo.

And, again, who cares what a guy says in his draft interview? How is that relevant at all other than to make much a do about nothing? Lots of guys talk a good game in these interviews. I'm sure Maybin had a hell of an interview. What does it matter?

This guy isn't a team player. He's selfish.

That's speculative. I haven't seen or heard any of his teammates say he's not a team player. The guy has given up his body for the team in multiple seasons. When he's played he's shown toughness and ability to make plays. He's well liked in the locker room (from what I've heard from folks who know)... again, this is something people say when they're trying to turn nothing into something.

EJ Manuel sucks at his job and is hated by 50% of the fanbase but he shows up and busts his ass at every practice, optional or no. What's Goodwin's excuse? He just likes track more?

He's training for a once in a lifetime opportunity to compete for his country in the Olympics? I mean, that's a bigger deal to a lot of people than OTAs. That's not unique to Goodwin.

How anyone says "good for Goodwin," a guy who doesn't give a flying !@#$ about his organization, his coaches, and most importantly, his teammates, is mind boggling.

Speculation again. You're injecting "he doesn't give a flying !@#$" about his team or teammates when, short of training for the Olympics, he's been nothing but a consummate teammate and professional. The team gave him permission to train for this.

It's mind bottling ( :ph34r:) how hard you are trying to spin this into a black mark on the guy's character when it's not. At all.

He's tying up both a spot on the 53 as well as resources, all because he lied his ass off. Preseason standout WR's that we had last year who busted their ass didn't make the team because we lose money if we cut Goodwin. He has the team by the balls. Good for him, I guess.

:lol::lol: No, he's tying up a spot on the 53 because he's earned it with his play on the field. The Bills can get rid of him at any point -- and they might come camp.

If you do not like Goodwin maybe the anger should turn to the Bills for drafting him and them keeping him ?

This is his last year, so relief from this tension he causes some here directly.

Should quickly dissipate, soon enough ? Not sure.

I don't follow your question about "would I act any differently?".

When I am paid to do work I show up prepared and do it to the best of my ability........even though I'd certainly rather be doing a lot of other things that don't pay as well.

And Goodwin has. The team gave him leave to pursue Rio.

But if you are asking me if YOU would do your job if sperm donation paid just as much,,,,,,,,,,,I would guess that would be a NO.

Man your jokes are as terrible as your Shady takes. Seriously, if you're going to try to make a joke at least make it funny.

I kid, I kid..........I don't need beernuts issuing me another warning point......gawd only knows how many more of those I can withstand..........but seriously how much of the content on TSW is provided by people in cubicles avoiding doing any more work than they have to in order to still get paid?

Flash is just doing the same kind of thing.......but in clear view of everyone in the office because at his rookie contract pay grade and with his elite athleticism someone else will hire him if the Bills decide to pass.

The other key differences are that Goodwin is being paid about $500K per year and unlike most of our content suppliers he isn't being productive enough to justify his pay.

The only consequence has been a few fans noticing.

Big deal.

His defenders have a bit too much mississippi leg-hound in them when it comes to his detractors.

But despite the relative lack of consequence......... he can't even keep his mouth shut about the mild criticism because he is woefully thin-skinned. :lol:

This is rambling nonsense.

The guy has permission from the team to train for the Olympics. It's his choice, and there's nothing preventing the Bills from cutting him should he get beat out while missing time.

This is a solid defense. Not sure why you try though.Because there is reason to question him.

and be disappointed in his effectiveness for the Bills overall.

I'm in no way saying you can't question his value to the team. I'm taking issue with the ridiculous attacks of saying he lied or scammed the Bills somehow. There's no way they didn't know this was a possibility when they drafted him. They don't seem to care, why should fans?

Calling a guy's character into question over wanting to compete for his country in the Olympics rather than go to OTAs is... extreme.

And Goodwin has. The team gave him leave to pursue Rio.

Man your jokes are as terrible as your Shady takes. Seriously, if you're going to try to make a joke at least make it funny.

This is rambling nonsense.

The guy has permission from the team to train for the Olympics. It's his choice, and there's nothing preventing the Bills from cutting him should he get beat out while missing time.

I'm in no way saying you can't question his value to the team. I'm taking issue with the ridiculous attacks of saying he lied or scammed the Bills somehow. There's no way they didn't know this was a possibility when they drafted him. They don't seem to care, why should fans?

Calling a guy's character into question over wanting to compete for his country in the Olympics rather than go to OTAs is... extreme.

It is possible the arguments being made of his motives and method are flawed?

It is possible.

But defending him is an argument you will never win.

Pointing out the error in the accusations is a reasonable discussion.

Best wishes to both sides

How do any of these comments screw the Bills? And when did we start taking sound bytes as sworn testimony?

Voluntary workouts.

And the team gave him permission to train for the Olympics. So again, how is this screwing the Bills?

There's no way the Bills didn't know this was a possibility when they drafted him. If they didn't think he would try out for the Olympics, then that's on them for poor vetting of a prospect. That's not on Goodwin.

Besides, having a Bill represent the USA in the Olympics is a PR boon to a team who hasn't made the playoffs in 16 years. Considering he has their blessing to do so, I fail to see how he is screwing the team by representing his country. It's not as if he's their number 1 WR, he's a borderline roster guy at this point.

I still think Goodwin is the third best WR on their roster, and frankly still think he's been more the victim of bad breaks than being "Glass". But the results speak for themselves. So far in his career he's been unable to stay healthy. When he's been healthy, he's been a productive member of the team. I've yet to see his track and field career being in any way a detriment to his teammates or team in Buffalo.

And, again, who cares what a guy says in his draft interview? How is that relevant at all other than to make much a do about nothing? Lots of guys talk a good game in these interviews. I'm sure Maybin had a hell of an interview. What does it matter?

That's speculative. I haven't seen or heard any of his teammates say he's not a team player. The guy has given up his body for the team in multiple seasons. When he's played he's shown toughness and ability to make plays. He's well liked in the locker room (from what I've heard from folks who know)... again, this is something people say when they're trying to turn nothing into something.

He's training for a once in a lifetime opportunity to compete for his country in the Olympics? I mean, that's a bigger deal to a lot of people than OTAs. That's not unique to Goodwin.

Speculation again. You're injecting "he doesn't give a flying !@#$" about his team or teammates when, short of training for the Olympics, he's been nothing but a consummate teammate and professional. The team gave him permission to train for this.

It's mind bottling ( :ph34r:) how hard you are trying to spin this into a black mark on the guy's character when it's not. At all.

:lol::lol: No, he's tying up a spot on the 53 because he's earned it with his play on the field. The Bills can get rid of him at any point -- and they might come camp.

Sworn testimony? I didn't realize you had to have a hand on the Bible to mean what you say. Goodwin is clearly not doing whatever he can to help the team, as evidenced by missing TC and OTA's. He lied here. He's not a football guy first. Clearly.

Voluntary workouts.

You realize he's missing training camp this year, right? Is anyone else missing TC to follow their "dreams?" Perhaps Jordan Mills is missing as well to pursue his dream of being on the World Series of Poker? Oh, no.

What can the Bills do but give him permission? Honest question. They've already invested a third rounder and the time into him. Clearly, the only thing they can do is hope it works out at this point. No reason to cut him today for skipping out. They don't get the pick back.

It certainly was a possibility that Goodwin wouldn't care about his teammates or his word. Not sure I'd blame the organization for believing a player that they invested in. It was a possibility Jamarcus Russell wouldn't give a **** and wouldn't actually watch tape, but what could the Raiders do?

Positive PR is the only positive. Not sure Whaley or Rex should be caring about that at this point. Also look at this contradiction. He's a "borderline roster guy" but, as you state, the 3rd best WR on the roster. Wouldn't you want him trying a little harder to, you know, make the team and contribute? Especially after investing in him?

Goodwin has not been "productive" for 3 years, bro. He's been getting killed by Chris Hogan. You don't think skipping TC and getting in football shape has any correlation with staying healthy?

It matters because he lied. Plain and simple. You are so quick to indict the organization for not thinking he was a liar, but you don't care that he misled them. It's comical. I'm sure you just hate it when NFL teams don't give their players the benefit of the doubt and treat them like garbage, but the Bills are idiots for believing Marquise's horsecrap.

He's still on the team, it's a distinct possibility that isn't invalidated because no one has asked and no one wants to indict their teammate. He's given up his body when it's convenient. If you're Sammy or Woods and you're busting your ass and playing with a load of injuries, and next camp the guy who sat on the bench last year didn't even bother to show to train and work with the team, you might not get peeved? I'm not saying the entire team hates him, but it's not far-fetched.

He's skipping TC. I don't care about the Olympics and I'm not sure I want my Bills to care more about the Olympics than the Bills.

Addressed above. Not to mention, skipping team activities including TC for the Olympics is him caring more about that than his team. Period.

Hell of a reference.

Uh, no. The man has 3 catches in 2 years. He hasn't earned it with his play. He's only here because of potential, and that ties in with it costing too much to get rid of him. The Bills had no choice but to stick with him, a player whose NFL career is on its last legs, but is skipping TC :thumbdown: .

It is possible the arguments being made of his motives and method are flawed?

It is possible.

But defending him is an argument you will never win.

Pointing out the error in the accusations is a reasonable discussion.

Best wishes to both sides

It's like this.......the chance that he is a Buffalo Bill 12 months from now is just barely north of zero either way.

If he doesn't make the team or plays poorly he's gone........if he plays well the Bills are unlikely to be the ones to trust him enough to get a new contract.

At which point most of his apologists here will be able to look back on him for what he was.

He used his leverage to get what he wants at the expense of team production.

Some people like mgk think that selfishness is a laudable quality because they would be selfish if given the opportunity.

It's not.

But if you put the past in the past.........this guy is actually a production lottery ticket for a team that is very thin at WR.

What people have to understand is that you don't HAVE TO LIKE the players to root for the team.

The players come and go.......root for the laundry and support your fellow fan over transients like Goodwin.

" I'm not saying the entire team hates him, but it's not far-fetched."

I read the whole back and forth.

I think this is exactly the definition of far fetched and approaching Rodak territory.

The whole team likely hates him ?

seriously?

" I'm not saying the entire team hates him, but it's not far-fetched."

I read the whole back and forth.

I think this is exactly the definition of far fetched and approaching Rodak territory.

The whole team likely hates him ?

seriously?

That's the opposite of what I said.

Edited by FireChan

It's like this.......the chance that he is a Buffalo Bill 12 months from now is just barely north of zero either way.

If he doesn't make the team or plays poorly he's gone........if he plays well the Bills are unlikely to be the ones to trust him enough to get a new contract.

At which point most of his apologists here will be able to look back on him for what he was.

He used his leverage to get what he wants at the expense of team production.

Some people like mgk think that selfishness is a laudable quality because they would be selfish if given the opportunity.

It's not.

But if you put the past in the past.........this guy is actually a production lottery ticket for a team that is very thin at WR.

What people have to understand is that you don't HAVE TO LIKE the players to root for the team.

The players come and go.......root for the laundry and support your fellow fan over transients like Goodwin.

But Goodwin is still on the team ? couldn't some of you just a wait awhile longer to give up the deservedly negative report. I am still hoping he scores us a touchdown or 3 this year. Plenty of time to B word about him post season when he is no longer a Bill

That's the opposite of what I said.

No it is not opposite.

You do like extremes don't you?

: )

No it is not opposite.

You do like extremes don't you?

: )

Yes, it is.

"If you're Sammy or Woods and you're busting your ass and playing with a load of injuries, and next camp the guy who sat on the bench last year didn't even bother to show to train and work with the team, you might not get peeved? I'm not saying the entire team hates him, but it's not far-fetched."

Note the the "not" in front of saying the entire team hates him.

What I meant was that it's not far-fetched to think Sammy or Woods might not be the biggest fans of the guy who doesn't play because he's hurt skipping TC when they play through grievous injuries and attend. I'm not saying the entire team hates him. Not.

Edited by FireChan