MMQB: Rex + Rob: The Battling (and Babbling) Buffalo Bros

Respect has to be earned, especially in the NFL. I don't think talking big makes men want to follow you, unless you have a history of backing it up. Unfortunately, Rex hasn't "backed it up" in a long time, so the big talk isn't going to win him a lot of followers in the Bills' locker room, and neither is his fellowship with people like Rob and D Thurman.

I remember something Chad Eaton, who was a really good DT on some of the early NE teams, said about Belichick: That rah rah talk doesn't work among grown men; what gets NFL players fired up is knowing your coach is smarter and better prepared than the guy on the other sideline and if you do what he says, you will probably win. The Ryans have a lot to prove in that regard, and until they do, there will be doubters, even (or maybe especially) in the locker room.

I got the impression from Collision Low Crossers that Rex isn't just a rah rah guy. I think he tries to develop relationships with his players that are founded on mutual trust and respect to bring out the best in them. Part of this is that he treats players like men and not children. I also think Rex is a big X and O guy who tries to out-scheme his opponents.

Has his credibility with players suffered because of his struggles the past few years? I'm sure it has. But I think, from what I've read in the media, that Rex still commands respect from a lot of players. And having guys like Ed Reed in the locker room backing Rex up can only help in the credibility department.

But the NFL is hyper-competitive and ever-evolving. Does Rex still have what it takes to run a superior defense? There's no doubting his commitment and I remain open-minded to the possibility that Rex can once again field a top 10 or top 5 defense. We'll see what he does this year.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got the impression from Collision Low Crossers that Rex isn't just a rah rah guy. I think he tries to develop relationships with his players that are founded on mutual trust and respect to bring out the best in them. Part of this is that he treats players like men and not children. I also think Rex is a big X and O guy who tries to out-scheme his opponents.

Has his credibility with players suffered because of his struggles the past few years? I'm sure it has. But I think, from what I've read in the media, that Rex still commands respect from a lot of players. And having guys like Ed Reed in the locker room backing Rex up can only help in the credibility department.

But the NFL is hyper-competitive and ever-evolving. Does Rex still have what it takes to run a superior defense? There's no doubting his commitment and I remain open-minded to the possibility that Rex can once again field a top 10 or top 5 defense. We'll see what he does this year.

This is exactly where I land.

@SBNationNFL

Rex and Rob Ryan have explained away past failures. But what if the Bills defense is bad? http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/5/27/11795954/rex-rob-ryan-bills-defense-nfl-season-preview

It is simple. If the Bills defense is bad they are done in the NFL. Rex will be done as a Head Coach in the pros and whilst he might be able to get a DC job TV would appear more likely. Rob Ryan will disappear into irrelevance.

Why do we get saddled with the 2 biggest Boobs in the league! These two will finish the job here in B'lo...from 4th to LAST in D and it will be a slow burn this year...until I can only hope these two are thrown onto the dustbin of NFL history...I hate BOTH of them!!

Absolutely ridiculous that Pegs would even allow this sideshow to come to fruition...

Edited by Monday Morning Warrior

In the end....this will be proved out on the field

so....they might as well get people that believe in what they are doing and ignore the NNN's

If they fail....they will be replaced. Give them that chance people

Why do we get saddled with the 2 biggest Boobs in the league! These two will finish the job here in B'lo...from 4th to LAST in D and it will be a slow burn this year...until I can only hope these two are thrown onto the dustbin of NFL history...I hate BOTH of them!!

Absolutely ridiculous that Pegs would even allow this sideshow to come to fruition...

I often wonder why we get saddled with certain posters. Dont you have some fly to pull the wings off somewhere?

You GD hippie - go tend to artisanal goat cheese factory! This is TBD, not some "open your mind and explore the possibilities" camp! :D

(for the record, I'm with you)

In the end....this will be proved out on the field

so....they might as well get people that believe in what they are doing and ignore the NNN's

If they fail....they will be replaced. Give them that chance people

I often wonder why we get saddled with certain posters. Dont you have some fly to pull the wings off somewhere?

Go ahead drink the Kool-Aid...it amazes me that some Bills fans...just don't get it...Its right there in PLAIN SIGHT...these guys are douches!! What have they done? But destroy and decimate WHEREVER they GO...This will be an ugly year...these two Buffoons will see that that...TALK, TALK, TALK and they show sheeet on the field...I will celebrate when WREX and his double will be shown the door..

You want to relevant, that's ok...but at least give us a chance to win!

WREX only good years where BECAUSE someone BUILT the D BEFORE he got there...

Stop being so Blind

and oh BTW...I am a tried and true BILLS fan since 1969...so don't say anything about being a fair weather fan!!

I SEE REALITY for what it is

Go ahead drink the Kool-Aid...it amazes me that some Bills fans...just don't get it...Its right there in PLAIN SIGHT...these guys are douches!! What have they done? But destroy and decimate WHEREVER they GO...This will be an ugly year...these two Buffoons will see that that...TALK, TALK, TALK and they show sheeet on the field...I will celebrate when WREX and his double will be shown the door..

Stop being so Blind

and oh BTW...I am a tried and true BILLS fan since 1969...so don't say anything about being a fair weather fan!!

Sean Peyton dismisses Rob Ryan's comments as "silly"

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/05/27/sean-payton-rob-ryan-saying-it-wasnt-his-defense-is-silly/

Stop being so Blind

There are precisely zero people in this thread that don't acknowledge the abundance of hot air in that interview. There are also--from what i've seen--precisely zero people in this thread CONFIDENT that said hot air will equate to wins. So, I'm not sure precisely whom you're railing against...oh, there's a **** ton of Kool Aid on the table. But being a Bills fan, at THIS point, is tantamount to being a Jonestown survivor. Nobody's gulping it down like you say. Head into January with double digit wins? That might be a different story. There might not be enough Kool Aid to go around then!

Edited by The Big Cat

There are precisely zero people in this thread that don't acknowledge the abundance of hot air in that interview. There are also--from what i've seen--precisely zero people in this thread CONFIDENT that said hot air will equate to wins. So, I'm not sure precisely whom you're railing against...oh, there's a **** ton of Kool Aid on the table. But being a Bills fan, at THIS point, is tantamount to being a Jonestown survivor. Nobody's gulping it down like you say. Head into January with double digit wins? That might be a different story. There might not be enough Kool Aid to go around then!

I am not RAILING against anyone, just expressing my views as I SEE THEM..I thought this was an OPEN FORUM...WTF!

I am not RAILING against anyone, just expressing my views as I SEE THEM..I thought this was an OPEN FORUM...WTF!

It is an open forum. That's why TBC has the right to call you out if he disagrees with your take.

It is an open forum. You can say whatever you please. And people can challenge you on it. That's part of it being an open forum.

That's a funny line!!

there you go running and hiding behind the "its my opinion" forcefield

It is your opinion.....be prepared to be called out on opinions that have no actual factual value and are strictly just your opinion

Stop being so Blind

It is interesting when people talk about reality....when in fact they are only talking about their own perceptions.

mmmmmmm......this kool aid tastes so good this time of year.