PFF & ESPN Offseason Grades for the Bills

All this talk about Watkins injury, has there been any confirmation that it's a Jones Fracture? Or still spit balling?

I think it's been suggested he cracked his Johnson Rod.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All this talk about Watkins injury, has there been any confirmation that it's a Jones Fracture? Or still spit balling?

Yes, there was. I see that you've at least done some homework.

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2016/05/dez_bryant_kevin_durant_can_teach_us_about_bills_wr_sammy_watkins_foot_injury.html

So now what are you going to say? What's your new tack on spin?

As well, don't you think that if it weren't a Jones Fracture, that Whaley & Co. would be saying "at least it's not a JF?" I do. Either way, the silence is deafening on this one and we all know that the FO is about as trustworthy as the average politician.

And what, because OBD hasn't come out and said that it isn't, it isn't? ROFLMAO

Edited by TaskersGhost

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2016/05/dez_bryant_kevin_durant_can_teach_us_about_bills_wr_sammy_watkins_foot_injury.html

As well, don't you think that if it weren't a Jones Fracture, that Whaley & Co. would be saying "at least it's not a JF?" I do. Either way, the silence is deafening on this one and we all know that the FO is about as trustworthy as the average politician.

What are you babbling? Go to the Watkins thread where I was the first one doing research and posting links about the severity of a Jones Fracture. I also believe I said this injury is far more concerning than Shaq's injury. It has about a 20-25 percent chance for reinjury and multiple surgeries. Davante Parker had one and that cost him a ton of time, Dez had two surgeries, Edelman just had his 2nd surgery, Durant had 3? Julio played on it for a year after surgery before breaking it again and then missing a 12 month period after an additional surgery and some blood enrichment procedure to help with the healing.

Sill not sure what your babbling about, I would suggest researching a posters history before you come off like a condescending diva.

What are you babbling? Go to the Watkins thread where I was the first one doing research and posting links about the severity of a Jones Fracture. I also believe I said this injury is far more concerning than Shaq's injury. It has about a 20-25 percent chance for reinjury and multiple surgeries. Davante Parker had one and that cost him a ton of time, Dez had two surgeries, Edelman just had his 2nd surgery, Durant had 3? Julio played on it for a year after surgery before breaking it again and then missing a 12 month period after an additional surgery and some blood enrichment procedure to help with the healing.

Sill not sure what your babbling about, I would suggest researching a posters history before you come off like a condescending diva.

the article that was linked didn't confirm it. It was speculation only. Not sure if it's been confirmed elsewhere. I read that they think it was the 5th metatarsal. Also, all those players except for Julio tried to come back too fast because they had the surgery close to or in season, and that was why it is believed they needed the 2nd surgery. Watkins will have much more time (about 2x the recovery period) , which should be beneficial. Edited by YoloinOhio

I still think it is funny Hogan was a "big" signing for the Pats.

Almost anything the Cheatriots do will be lauded as a great move even though their player acquisition track record isn't that great in recent years.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

ESPN Chimes in.

@mikerodak

The Bills deserve a C-minus for their offseason, @ESPNInsider's panel of experts says: https://t.co/NFXzzTrMAg

Oh, yes, the loss of Hogan and his fewer than 1000 career yards receiving is a devastating blow.

Also, it is weird for them to trash the Lawson pick when they mocked them to us multiple times. And I'd bet other times he was higher more often than not. For example, in the last eight nfl.com drafts, he went 19th or sooner seven times (once as high as fourth). The only person who mocked him later, gave him to the Jets at 20. And all of them had Ragland in the first round, twice both players were gone when we picked.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2016/4/22/11487942/espn-2016-nfl-mock-draft-shaq-lawson-buffalo-bills

I can accept a C-. I'd give them a B or B+ and I tend to wear the reddest of rose-colored glasses, but the reasoning here is just dumb.

Rex gives himself & Dumpty an A+.

The ESPN grade was puzzling to say the least. As for anyone's grade, the only one that matters is on the field this season. Can't wait!

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Right. That's the thing about the posters on this sight. They never read any articles, or do any research on the things they are debating.

(I'm trying that font (Curlz MT) on as a "sarcasm font." What do y'all think?)

Edited by Rocky Landing

LOL

Seriously?

Friendly wager: He misses at least three more games this season and is dinged up for a significant number of others.

Otherwise, sure, and we were told, just a few weeks ago for that matter, that there was nothing to the notion that Shaq needed shoulder surgery. Meanwhile, this team expects everything to go swimmingly on the recovery.

Have you done any research on the type of foot injury that Watkins has? I'm guessing not otherwise I don't think you'd be so confident in making such an assertion.

Leave it to the Bills' crack medical staff to rush him back too early and have him miss the entire season.

I guess the upside is always the 1st overall and possbily Kelly.

You believe that? And at full-strength?

See response above.

I'm not sure either of you are aware of the nature of his injury.

Besides, since when did believing the front office become a shrewd idea?

Whatever you say.....Doktah

the article that was linked didn't confirm it. It was speculation only. Not sure if it's been confirmed elsewhere. I read that they think it was the 5th metatarsal. Also, all those players except for Julio tried to come back too fast because they had the surgery close to or in season, and that was why it is believed they needed the 2nd surgery. Watkins will have much more time (about 2x the recovery period) , which should be beneficial.

I suppose there's a small chance that that's correct, but common sense dictates that it's an extremely minor chance.

There are too many things going against Sammy for this to be the case. To start, the treatment thus far mimics that for a Jones fracture perfectly. Second, with a FO that's prone to lying to us and sugar-coating everything, they really shouldn't get any benefits of the doubt. Third, if it were not a Jones fracture, don't you think that this desperate FO would make that clear? I do, I don't think there's any question of that at all. Lastly, given Sammy's injury history, and back to my original argument, it's starting to look as if it's not this then it'll be something else, he's fragile, clearly.

Whatever you say.....Doktah

Right. That's the thing about the posters on this sight. They never read any articles, or do any research on the things they are debating.

(I'm trying that font (Curlz MT) on as a "sarcasm font." What do y'all think?)

Here ya go geniuses; http://www.dynastytradecalculator.com/sammy-watkins.html

Otherwise, see above.

If you guys want to believe everything that the team says, when clearly they lie and have lied thru their teeth to us, feel free. They haven't earned that right to be believed however. As well, if you choose to believe nothing but the blue skies rainbows and leprechauns version of any info that's not out there, also feel free. Expect to be disappointed however.

There actually is good info out there, it takes a few seconds of effort to actually get it sometimes tho. I understand if you don't have the time.

As you were.

Edited by TaskersGhost

That's funny, in a forum that seems to specialize in snarky, condescending posts, I read yours that I responded to as the same. Perhaps a mirror would come in handy.

Otherwise, if there was any misunderstanding I'll apologize for my share of it, good posters that actually enjoy intelligent and well substantiated discussion are difficult to come by.

As to this issue, read my post above. If this were not a Jones fracture, don't you think that the team would have made that clear? They'll paint a rainbow over a turd field, I'm sure they would have.

But here's the thing, based on what we know about the treatment thus far, it mirrors that for a Jones fracture. I don't understand why people give an organization so much trust when that same organization has breached their trust time and time again.

Our FO is hardly a class act much less an honest one.

Not saying you, but some people are just so gullible. It's one thing to remain positive, it's another to hope against all hope that injury prone players like Watkins remain 100% healthy so that our passing offense doesn't completely collapse because absolutely no one in the organization saw WR as even a depth need much less a greater one.

Of course the reason for that is everyone was genuflecting before Ryan and his must have A+ talent to get B+ performance mentality and too busy playing yes-men. We will now pay the price for this this coming season. Reality is reality no matter how anyone, especially the FO, tries to spin it.

That's funny, in a forum that seems to specialize in snarky, condescending posts, I read yours that I responded to as the same. Perhaps a mirror would come in handy.

Otherwise, if there was any misunderstanding I'll apologize for my share of it, good posters that actually enjoy intelligent and well substantiated discussion are difficult to come by.

As to this issue, read my post above. If this were not a Jones fracture, don't you think that the team would have made that clear? They'll paint a rainbow over a turd field, I'm sure they would have.

But here's the thing, based on what we know about the treatment thus far, it mirrors that for a Jones fracture. I don't understand why people give an organization so much trust when that same organization has breached their trust time and time again.

Our FO is hardly a class act much less an honest one.

Not saying you, but some people are just so gullible. It's one thing to remain positive, it's another to hope against all hope that injury prone players like Watkins remain 100% healthy so that our passing offense doesn't completely collapse because absolutely no one in the organization saw WR as even a depth need much less a greater one.

Of course the reason for that is everyone was genuflecting before Ryan and his must have A+ talent to get B+ performance mentality and too busy playing yes-men. We will now pay the price for this this coming season. Reality is reality no matter how anyone, especially the FO, tries to spin it.

I agree, the time table is what prompted me to do some additional research. You did make a good point, the front office would have been quick to dispel the rumors of a Jones Fracture if it wasn't the case. As you mentioned above its hard to see Sammy playing a full season coming off this, which blows. This injury is far more concerning to me personally than Shaq's, hopefully the surgeons experience dealing with Julio injury leads to more success with Sammy's recovery. (Same surgeon, also alarming).

I agree, the time table is what prompted me to do some additional research. You did make a good point, the front office would have been quick to dispel the rumors of a Jones Fracture if it wasn't the case. As you mentioned above its hard to see Sammy playing a full season coming off this, which blows. This injury is far more concerning to me personally than Shaq's, hopefully the surgeons experience dealing with Julio injury leads to more success with Sammy's recovery. (Same surgeon, also alarming).

That's not necessarily true. Certainly (as with every NFL team), they would downplay the severity of a health issue. However, would it not also be in character to allow other teams to think a minor issue was worse than it is with a player who is constantly double teamed? I am far less infuriated by the FO's tendency to obfuscate than TaskersGhost. I just see it as part of the offseason, and not at all unique to this team.