PFF & ESPN Offseason Grades for the Bills

Playoff-ready Tyrod Taylor, Bills earn B+ in PFF offseason grades

With an apparent quarterback finally in the fold, has Buffalo done enough around him to break a playoff drought?

The Buffalo Bills have likely found their franchise quarterback, with Tyrod Taylor putting together an impressive debut season as an NFL starter in 2015. After finishing back-to-back seasons with a .500 or better record — and with Taylor in place — the Bills will look to make their first playoff appearance since 1999.

Below is a compilation of the Buffalo Bills’ 2016 offseason transactions, including free-agency moves and draft picks:

Offseason grade: B+

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When it comes to their wide receivers, the depth chart gets quite thin behind Sammy Watkins (expected to be ready for camp following a broken foot). Robert Woods finished 2015 with a negative overall grade, ranking 117th out of 119 wide receivers, and no other WR on the depth chart played more than 60 snaps last season. It would have been nice to see them use their fourth-round pick on another WR to help out Taylor, rather than drafting a developmental quarterback (if Taylor were to get injured at some point midseason in 2016, E.J. Manuel is still the likely replacement), especially with how many receivers were still available who were high up on PFF’s overall draft board.

First piece I've seen even mention our WR situation. I guess now that it's become blatant the geniuses emerge out from the nooks in the woodwork. Heaven forbid that anyone is actually proactive on this kind of stuff. Then again, we wouldn't be the current Bills if anyone in the organization was.

I still fail to see how this doesn't at least all but derail the offense unless Sammy's 100% heading into week 1. I mean seriously, no defense is even going to take our passing game seriously and TT & Co. can expect to see lot s of 7/8 man fronts until such a time as we beat them regularly.

I guess there's always hope that Listenbee has 24 TD catches in Watkins' absence with a YPR of 60.

First piece I've seen even mention our WR situation. I guess now that it's become blatant the geniuses emerge out from the nooks in the woodwork. Heaven forbid that anyone is actually proactive on this kind of stuff. Then again, we wouldn't be the current Bills if anyone in the organization was.

I still fail to see how this doesn't at least all but derail the offense unless Sammy's 100% heading into week 1. I mean seriously, no defense is even going to take our passing game seriously and TT & Co. can expect to see lot s of 7/8 man fronts until such a time as we beat them regularly.

I guess there's always hope that Listenbee has 24 TD catches in Watkins' absence with a YPR of 60.

Why get all exercised about this when Watkins isn't expected to miss any time during the 2016 regular season?

Isnt Watkins supposed to be back for training camp? What is the problem?

Why get all exercised about this when Watkins isn't expected to miss any time during the 2016 regular season?

LOL

Seriously?

Friendly wager: He misses at least three more games this season and is dinged up for a significant number of others.

Otherwise, sure, and we were told, just a few weeks ago for that matter, that there was nothing to the notion that Shaq needed shoulder surgery. Meanwhile, this team expects everything to go swimmingly on the recovery.

Have you done any research on the type of foot injury that Watkins has? I'm guessing not otherwise I don't think you'd be so confident in making such an assertion.

Leave it to the Bills' crack medical staff to rush him back too early and have him miss the entire season.

I guess the upside is always the 1st overall and possbily Kelly.

You believe that? And at full-strength?

See response above.

I'm not sure either of you are aware of the nature of his injury.

Besides, since when did believing the front office become a shrewd idea?

Edited by TaskersGhost

Watkins durability to last the season. Today's B News lists this foot thing as his 8th injury in 2 years.

LOL

Seriously?

Friendly wager: He misses at least three more games this season and is dinged up for a significant number of others.

Otherwise, sure, and we were told, just a few weeks ago for that matter, that there was nothing to the notion that Shaq needed shoulder surgery. Meanwhile, this team expects everything to go swimmingly on the recovery.

Have you done any research on the type of foot injury that Watkins has? I'm guessing not otherwise I don't think you'd be so confident in making such an assertion.

Leave it to the Bills' crack medical staff to rush him back too early and have him miss the entire season.

I guess the upside is always the 1st overall and possbily Kelly.

You believe that? And at full-strength?

See response above.

I'm not sure either of you are aware of the nature of his injury.

Besides, since when did believing the front office become a shrewd idea?

Are you aware of the nature of his injury? Has that been presented?

Hoping for the best. Even so injuries can slow his performance to play at a high level. We'll see

He played his butt off down the stretch last season while dealing with the injury. Anything can happen, but I expect him to kick ass this season.

I saw that, but he's played in 29 of 32 games.

You can expect whatever you want, but what you, I, or anyone "expects" is meaningless, wouldn't you say? Particularly dependent upon what that expectation is based upon, and given that our own organization is clearly that very last people to BILLieve about anything it's probably not wise to pin your expectations on their statements.

Again, have you read up on his exact injury? About other big players that have had the same one and what happened to them? Might be wise, I think it will heavily impact your expectations.

Otherwise, everyone talks about Sammy as if he's elite. Elite WRs don't barely hit 1,000 yards and average 8 TDs/season. Seems to me elite is ranking among the top-three every season. As it now stands, and to put this into some perspective, Jordan Matthews, drafted in the mid-2nd of the same draft, and with no better a QB situation, in the same two seasons has put up 1,869 yards and 16 TDs to Watkins' 2,029 and 15 TDs.

So is Matthews elite? He even started 6 fewer games.

IMO if we get 1,000 yards from Sammy this season, between injuries and being constantly double-covered, it'll be half a miracle.

You can expect whatever you want, but what you, I, or anyone "expects" is meaningless, wouldn't you say? Particularly dependent upon what that expectation is based upon, and given that our own organization is clearly that very last people to BILLieve about anything it's probably not wise to pin your expectations on their statements.

Again, have you read up on his exact injury? About other big players that have had the same one and what happened to them? Might be wise, I think it will heavily impact your expectations.

Otherwise, everyone talks about Sammy as if he's elite. Elite WRs don't barely hit 1,000 yards and average 8 TDs/season. Seems to me elite is ranking among the top-three every season. As it now stands, and to put this into some perspective, Jordan Matthews, drafted in the mid-2nd of the same draft, and with no better a QB situation, in the same two seasons has put up 1,869 yards and 16 TDs to Watkins' 2,029 and 15 TDs.

So is Matthews elite? He even started 6 fewer games.

IMO if we get 1,000 yards from Sammy this season, between injuries and being constantly double-covered, it'll be half a miracle.

I have and they key is taking the requisite amount of time for proper healing. Since you can see into the future, how about hooking me up the next winning set of Power Ball Numbers.

He played his butt off down the stretch last season while dealing with the injury. Anything can happen, but I expect him to kick ass this season.

Sure, and he averaged about 50 ypg and had one TD every two-and-a-half games in the 23 games prior to that.

Also, we went 3-3 "down that stretch."

So why are we expecting more this season with him injured and with our depth at WR now gone?

Makes no sense to me.

I have and they key is taking the requisite amount of time for proper healing. Since you can see into the future, how about hooking me up the next winning set of Power Ball Numbers.

OK, as long as you're satisfied I guess.

This would explain why some are more disappointed than others and perhaps why some people that take your side rage more at the end of the season.

Sure, and he averaged about 50 ypg and had one TD every two-and-a-half games in the 23 games prior to that.

Also, we went 3-3 "down that stretch."

So why are we expecting more this season with him injured and with our depth at WR now gone?

Makes no sense to me.

Injured? Is the Baltimore game now? :lol:

You want to argue about hypothetical situations moving into a future based on a player being injured? Give me a break!

what has been glossed over here is this.

If Watkins is not playing?

How will they know who to double, or get help over the top, bracket , over under , press, play off ten?

the simple and clear answer is, they won't.

Genius pure unadulterated clarity of mind at work.