Had Cardale declared for 2015 draft......

Curious what round he would have went in. His size is lights out. His mobility for a man that size is lights out. His arm strength is probably as good as any QB in the last several drafts. Watching him throw a 15 yard out is filthy. He still looks like he can break a WR's fingers on that throw. He had just made a name for himself at that time as Ohio State made it's stunning BCS title run. So what tape people did have was Cardale carving up some very good defenses while showing the previously mentioned skill set. While I think most were smart enough to recognize he would need some time after the title run, it wasn't something that became the accepted view point until his struggles the following year. I have a hard time believing he would have made it out of 2nd round. If that's the case, just goes back to showing how much value we got in 2016 with him in the 4th.

Edited by KzooMike

Did Jones consult with the NCAA athletic advisory committee before deciding to return to college? Perhaps he got word that he wouldn't have been selected in the first round and decided to return to raise his stock. Maybe Yolo could shed some light for us.

GO BILLS!!!

I know that others may disagree, but I can't imagine a QB who had 3 collegiate starts under his belt being selected in even the 3rd round. He certainly has tremendous physical tools, but QB is more a position where you need quick decision making and great knowledge of the game - both are helped by experience to some degree. Now, I am (still) not saying that Jones does not have the innate quick decision making skills (and accuracy) to become a good QB, but nobody had any evidence of it after 2014's 3 starts and we still don't really know after a few more starts in 2015.

I like the pick of Jones for where they selected him, but I think he is going to have a tough time challenging the much-maligned EJ Manuel. I think Manuel is an example of why Jones would not have been a high pick last year - Manuel has close to the physical tools that Jones has, Manuel had a lot of experience and success in a tough conference and, say what you will about Manuel otherwise, but he is a very hard worker and a professional. Yet, Manuel has yet to have success in the NFL. All that was known about Jones was that he is big and has an outrageous arm, nobody really knows how he will work and apply himself and nobody really knows if he can succeed even if he works very hard.

Edited by OldTimer1960

I know that others may disagree, but I can't imagine a QB who had 3 collegiate starts under his belt being selected in even the 3rd round. He certainly has tremendous physical tools, but QB is more a position where you need quick decision making and great knowledge of the game - both are helped by experience to some degree. Now, I am (still) not saying that Jones does not have the innate quick decision making skills (and accuracy) to become a good QB, but nobody had any evidence of it after 2014's 3 starts and we still don't really know after a few more starts in 2015.

I like the pick of Jones for where they selected him, but I think he is going to have a tough time challenging the much-maligned EJ Manuel. I think Manuel is an example of why Jones would not have been a high pick last year - Manuel has close to the physical tools that Jones has, Manuel had a lot of experience and success in a tough conference and, say what you will about Manuel otherwise, but he is a very hard worker and a professional. Yet, Manuel has yet to have success in the NFL. All that was known about Jones was that he is big and has an outrageous arm, nobody really knows how he will work and apply himself and nobody really knows if he can succeed even if he works very hard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps8Pel9Dp9A

2:18 is a throw a lot of NFL QB's could not have made. Keep in mind this limited body of work is against the best college football had to offer. He seems to be even a better fit for our system than most others in the NFL so + on that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN90uJkm9nw

Interesting piece on Sports Science. Certainly nothing to hang your hate on long term, but interesting.

I'm not disagreeing with you. It's a hypothetical that's worth asking considering a lot of roster management is being on the best side of value, not only as a whole but as it relates to each player. I think it's reasonable to assume he did not get a first round grade from the committee (if he did go that way). I also think it's reasonable to assume he thought he might be able to achieve that by staying one more year. It went the other way and we ended up on the right side of value.

Edited by KzooMike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps8Pel9Dp9A

2:18 is a throw a lot of NFL QB's could not have made. Keep in mind this limited body of work is against the best college football had to offer. He seems to be even a better fit for our system than most others in the NFL so + on that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN90uJkm9nw

Interesting piece on Sports Science. Certainly nothing to hang your hate on long term, but interesting.

I'm not disagreeing with you. It's a hypothetical that's worth asking considering a lot of roster management is being on the best side of value, not only as a whole but as it relates to each player. I think it's reasonable to assume he did not get a first round great from the committee (if he did go that way). I also think it's reasonable to assume he thought he might be able to achieve that by staying one more year. It went the other way and we ended up on the right side of value.

That is a perfect typo.

I dont think there is even a notion of C. Jones challenging EJ Manuel for the clip board holder position this year

That was not the plan.....this was about stashing a player with incredible ceiling so they can mold him into the player they want in a future year.

I dont think there is even a notion of C. Jones challenging EJ Manuel for the clip board holder position this year

That was not the plan.....this was about stashing a player with incredible ceiling so they can mold him into the player they want in a future year.

I agree and I did say that I liked the Jones selection at the end of round 4. I was just trying to build the case for why I don't think that he would have been picked much higher if he had come out after 2014.

You give NFL front offices too much credit. I hear that there's an organization out there that traded a first and a fourth for a bench warmer who had one career NFL start under his belt. Word is that team paid the guy a boatload of money and named him their starting QB. I never did hear how that one worked out though.

I just want him to be handled correctly

Everyone knows he is not ready....lets give him the Aaron Rogers treatment

A lot of people seem to think that there was some magical development that happened because Aaron sat on bench for few seasons. I would say that it is more likely that Aaron was always ready and it was just Favre who kept him on bench . They hardly have a good track record with their other 2nd or 3rd string qbs. Brian Brohm , Matt Flynn, Graham Harrell anyone ?

A lot of people seem to think that there was some magical development that happened because Aaron sat on bench for few seasons. I would say that it is more likely that Aaron was always ready and it was just Favre who kept him on bench . They hardly have a good track record with their other 2nd or 3rd string qbs. Brian Brohm , Matt Flynn, Graham Harrell anyone ?

So, you keep trying. You do know what happens when forced to take a QB in the only draft in NFL history when there wasn't a first rounder available.

I just want him to be handled correctly

Everyone knows he is not ready....lets give him the Aaron Rogers treatment

Exactly. It's going to take time, and even then who knows? But well worth the risk at the end of the 4th. I wish EJ had had the same chance to sit and learn, but that plan fell apart. (I had seen enough of FSU EJ to have serious doubts either way.). You have to love the ceiling for Cardale!

Did Jones consult with the NCAA athletic advisory committee before deciding to return to college? Perhaps he got word that he wouldn't have been selected in the first round and decided to return to raise his stock. Maybe Yolo could shed some light for us.

GO BILLS!!!

He actually didn't consult with the NCAA on his decision because he didn't have time. When it even came up as a possibility, he had 2 days between the NC game and the deadline to declare. He actually never seriously considered leaving.

Curious what round he would have went in. His size is lights out. His mobility for a man that size is lights out. His arm strength is probably as good as any QB in the last several drafts. Watching him throw a 15 yard out is filthy. He still looks like he can break a WR's fingers on that throw. He had just made a name for himself at that time as Ohio State made it's stunning BCS title run. So what tape people did have was Cardale carving up some very good defenses while showing the previously mentioned skill set. While I think most were smart enough to recognize he would need some time after the title run, it wasn't something that became the accepted view point until his struggles the following year. I have a hard time believing he would have made it out of 2nd round. If that's the case, just goes back to showing how much value we got in 2016 with him in the 4th.

I don't know about the 'carved up' part. Elliott averaged about ten yards a carry in those 3 games.

You give NFL front offices too much credit. I hear that there's an organization out there that traded a first and a fourth for a bench warmer who had one career NFL start under his belt. Word is that team paid the guy a boatload of money and named him their starting QB. I never did hear how that one worked out though.

See also: Manziel, Johnny; Tebow, Tim.

Edited by KD in CT

I don't know about the 'carved up' part. Elliott averaged about ten yards a carry in those 3 games.

See also: Manziel, Johnny; Tebow, Tim.

Elliott benefitted as much from the defense committing resources toward Cardale's abilities in the vertical passing game as Cardale benefitted from Elliott. Edited by YoloinOhio