Not a flattering assessment of Adolphus

Anyone further interested in being depressed should read the Buffalo Rumblings post-draft scouting report on Washington. It appears well-researched and is pretty negative. Sorry Doug, no day one starter here. Situational pass rusher which is ok, we needed that too. But everyone should temper their enthusiasm on this guy,

Untill they hit the field.........

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WEO

In all seriousness.....wtf do you expect him to say?

Seriously? What should a GM say about a somewhat raw 3rd rounder with well-discussed questions about his skills? How about anything but "game one starter"?

Why must that be the only option for him to describe this guy as such right after the draft? Your comment doesn't make much sense. Why put that kind of pressure on him?

willie henry was the better choice.

Love that guy

WEO

In all seriousness.....wtf do you expect him to say?

LOL agreed. Somebody with time on their hands.. like me, watch the Michigan St. game. Washington is consistently pushed off the line of scrimmage on run plays.... consistently. In other games he showed VERY good moves to get to the passer. No, I'm not a scout, just an ex-coach of 17 years. LB's not D-Line, so again, not saying I'm an expert. Just sayin' there is a lot of teaching needed.

Seriously? What should a GM say about a somewhat raw 3rd rounder with well-discussed questions about his skills? How about anything but "game one starter"?

Why must that be the only option for him to describe this guy as such right after the draft? Your comment doesn't make much sense. Why put that kind of pressure on him?

So you expect him to say "well....Washington has some potential but will need to be coached up"

You REALLY expect the GM to say that when we also need OT help....WR help....etc etc

Just because he didnt say what you WANTED him to say?

1 - You might be right and Washington might be John McCargo

2 - That makes absolutely no difference when the GM is talking to the media....his JOB after the draft is to talk up his picks (by the way.....EVERY GM IN THE LEAGUE DOES THAT......

He did the same thing with Goodwin.....raved about him after the draft.

If a GM cant justify his picks after a draft he will not be GM for long

So you expect him to say "well....Washington has some potential but will need to be coached up"

You REALLY expect the GM to say that when we also need OT help....WR help....etc etc

Just because he didnt say what you WANTED him to say?

1 - You might be right and Washington might be John McCargo

2 - That makes absolutely no difference when the GM is talking to the media....his JOB after the draft is to talk up his picks (by the way.....EVERY GM IN THE LEAGUE DOES THAT......

He did the same thing with Goodwin.....raved about him after the draft.

If a GM cant justify his picks after a draft he will not be GM for long

i feel like this is a bit dramatic. you often see GMs say that they think guys can become impact players with the right work instead of declaring them day 1 starters.

that would be plenty of justification if you arent looking at the selection through crazy glasses (in which case what does it matter if he says a guy is more polished and ready day 1 or a higher upside project).

Love that guy

LOL agreed. Somebody with time on their hands.. like me, watch the Michigan St. game. Washington is consistently pushed off the line of scrimmage on run plays.... consistently. In other games he showed VERY good moves to get to the passer. No, I'm not a scout, just an ex-coach of 17 years. LB's not D-Line, so again, not saying I'm an expert. Just sayin' there is a lot of teaching needed.

I watched his clips from that game on draft breakdown - seems to me MSU was not shy about sending two guys his way. I like to see the opposing coaching staff pay that much attention to someone. On the other hand I thought it was odd that they singled Bosa a lot even though they had Conklin and Bosa did not impress me.

I like Washington because I do not think Rex will have him catching blockers - something he doesn't do well yet. I think he will be calling a lot of stunts for him as the LDE because he seems to do that well. We drafted a run defender in Ragland and Lawson seems to stay at home well so all the interior guys can get after the qb along with Hughes and to a lesser extent Lawson. Contrary to some of the noise on TBD, I don't think we've played the run well for a long time and I think adding these outdated, non-modern run stopping types are what the defense needs to balance the team talent and get the defense to the next level.

i feel like this is a bit dramatic. you often see GMs say that they think guys can become impact players with the right work instead of declaring them day 1 starters.

that would be plenty of justification if you arent looking at the selection through crazy glasses (in which case what does it matter if he says a guy is more polished and ready day 1 or a higher upside project).

Maybe Whaley is genuinely excited about his draft? Maybe he really would have pulled the trigger on Ragland at 19 for instance?

If a little hyperbole is not acceptable on draft day then when is it? What did you expect Whaley to say? That he drafted a player with no potential and that his chances of success are improbable? Expecting Whaley to declare that his third round selection was a dud before he even stepped on the field is like new parents proclaiming their baby is ugly.

The notion that Washington is going to feel added pressure because of the glowing comments the GM made about him at the draft makes little sense. Every player drafted, top to bottom, was praised by the GM when they were selected. There certainly are pressures on players selected by their respective teams. I'm confident that they have nothing to do with positive descriptions of the players and the roles they might have on the team. WEO, you are reaching here. You are reaching to the point of absurdity. Striving to be the designated curmudgeon doesn't suit you. You can do better---you usually do better. :rolleyes: