Movin' Right Along (1979)

Rubes

The 1979 Buffalo Bills story

I know these have been posted before, but it's been a little while and I came across this one today. Man, the memories. 1979 was an interesting year, with Jerry Butler lighting it up as a rookie, Fergy becoming the first Bills QB to surpass 3000 yards (!), Roland Hooks looking remarkably elusive, and the defense starting to look nasty.

For us old timers, skip to 9:33...remember the "Way to Throw, Joe!" sign on the scoreboard? That damn scoreboard, always with burnt out lights everywhere.

They missed the playoffs that year (friggin' Broncos with yet another last-second FG in our house), so I figured everyone would feel right at home watching it.

Oh well...at least it wasn't, "Movin' Right Outta Buffalo."

Thanks.

During this period of television blackouts, my appreciation and knowledge of football can be attributed listening to Van Miller broadcasts. Nothing immerses you in a game like listening on the radio and visualizing what is going on.

The NFL Films narration was top notch, as usual.

Ferguson, Butler, Piccone, Haslett, Smerlas, Nelson = top guns.

The 1979 Buffalo Bills story

I know these have been posted before, but it's been a little while and I came across this one today. Man, the memories. 1979 was an interesting year, with Jerry Butler lighting it up as a rookie, Fergy becoming the first Bills QB to surpass 3000 yards (!), Roland Hooks looking remarkably elusive, and the defense starting to look nasty.

For us old timers, skip to 9:33...remember the "Way to Throw, Joe!" sign on the scoreboard? That damn scoreboard, always with burnt out lights everywhere.

They missed the playoffs that year (friggin' Broncos with yet another last-second FG in our house), so I figured everyone would feel right at home watching it.

Oh well...at least it wasn't, "Movin' Right Outta Buffalo."

Boy, Joe Ferguson should sounds like a "franchise" QB in this video. And, he was IMHO.

Nice find. First game my dad ever took me to was the one against the Bears that year; an exciting 7-0 win for Chicago (I think Walter Payton had 4 RBI's and two extra-base hits). I took to watching a tall lanky free safety wearing No. 38 by the name of Jeff Nixon, he was my first "favorite Bill" for his duration in Buffalo.

Jon Facenda's voice and the musical score really took me back in time. Thanks for the 15 minute vacation Rubes!

Nice find. First game my dad ever took me to was the one against the Bears that year; an exciting 7-0 win for Chicago (I think Walter Payton had 4 RBI's and two extra-base hits). I took to watching a tall lanky free safety wearing No. 38 by the name of Jeff Nixon, he was my first "favorite Bill" for his duration in Buffalo.

Jon Facenda's voice and the musical score really took me back in time. Thanks for the 15 minute vacation Rubes!

There's a part 2 I believe.

Yep! Same here...

Came here for this, was not disappointed! I thought the same thing when I saw the title. And yes SDS, I watched the second half of the video during lunch yesterday. Thanks for pointing that out.

He was fantastic.

... At throwing the crucial pick late in the 4th quarter. Fitz like. I remember people used to blame it on him being color blind.

If Chuck Knox would have had the kind of talent that Marv Levy did then the Bills would have won a couple of Super Bowls back then.

Edited by vincec