Bills to retire #78 jersey at home opener

Brandon on Thurman’s 34: Stay tuned

With today’s announcement by Bills team President Russ Brandon that the club will be retiring Bruce Smith’s No. 78 in a halftime ceremony at the Bills home opener, he was naturally asked about whether Thurman Thomas’ No. 34 could be next in line.

“Stay tuned,” said Brandon in an appearance on Bills flagship station WGR Sportsradio 550. “Today we’re celebrating Bruce, but obviously everyone knows Thurman’s place and it’ll be interesting to see what happens with that number down the road, but you can read between the lines.”

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So well deserved, Bruce is the best player that the Bills have ever had. He had 200 sacks in a 3-4!! He was a dominant force.

Sometimes casual fans forget he did it in a 3-4. Amazing player!

The Bills have had a lot of good players in their history but only Bruce and OJ are in GOAT conversations.

My first Bills jersey as a kid was a Bruce Smith jersey. The first Bills game I ever went to was when the Bills played the Colts in 1996, Bills won in OT and Bruce got flagged for 3 offsides penalties lol

Having the opener on Thursday night is exciting at it is, now Bruce's ceremony makes it extra special.

its only a vacation, and by extension a marriage...really nothing big as opposed to being at a Bills primetime opener!

One option is to send the wife and doggie off on Thursday to the beach, fly up to Buffalo in the afternoon then fly back Friday and join them. It's crazy enough that it just might work!

Great honor for Bruce.

Classy move by the Bills.

I was at the Ralph when Kelly's number was retired.

Incredible atmosphere. People were crying and cheering at the same time.

I was there too that day.

I was also one of those people who had tears welling up in my eyes

CBF