Bill Barnwell's AFC East offseason report cards

Bills get a B

I enjoyed this, regarding Glenn's 'exorbitant' extension "That's consistent with the Bills' reputation: They regularly hand out deals that are friendlier than those given to similar players by other teams."

Is that true? Hughes -- Incognito -- Taylor??

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15492554/bill-barnwell-offseason-report-cards-buffalo-bills-miami-dolphins-new-england-patriots-new-york-jets

Edited by YoloinOhio

Bills get a B

I enjoyed this, regarding Glenn's 'exorbitant' extension "That's consistent with the Bills' reputation: They regularly hand out deals that are friendlier than those given to similar players by other teams."

Is that true? Hughes -- Incognito -- Taylor??

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15492554/bill-barnwell-offseason-report-cards-buffalo-bills-miami-dolphins-new-england-patriots-new-york-jets

The way that I look at it is if it doesn't kill the cap, who cares? It is almost reverse cash to the cap. Dishing out player friendly deals is only going to help in recruiting and maintaining free agents.

They regularly hand out deals that are friendlier than those given to similar players by other teams."

Is that true?

I'd say so.

Overall a very sound and rational summary. Interesting data on the true cost of the Ragland trade. It doesn't exactly paint our front office as the most competent, so this should be an interesting thread. (Grrrr who the heck is Bill Barnwell??)

What went wrong

They traded two picks to get Ragland. Concerned his team wouldn't get its inside linebacker, general manager Doug Whaley sent two fourth-round picks (one in 2017) to the Bears

yeah, because we've done so well in the 4th round. Except for maybe two or three players, our fourth round has been a graveyard for the past 20 years. http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?teamId=0610&type=team

What went wrong

They traded two picks to get Ragland. Concerned his team wouldn't get its inside linebacker, general manager Doug Whaley sent two fourth-round picks (one in 2017) to the Bears

yeah, because we've done so well in the 4th round. Except for maybe two or three players, our fourth round has been a graveyard for the past 20 years. http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?teamId=0610&type=team

I read this on ESPN earlier and it's a very weak point. If that's what went wrong, then the Bills should be very pleased with how everything has gone this offseason.

I'd say so.

Overall a very sound and rational summary. Interesting data on the true cost of the Ragland trade. It doesn't exactly paint our front office as the most competent, so this should be an interesting thread. (Grrrr who the heck is Bill Barnwell??)

I'm not quite sure I understand it, two 4th round picks and swapping seconds equates to using the 13th overall pick on Ragland? That can't be right. I have no idea what he's done to come to that conclusion unless he added up all the point values of the trade?

I'm not quite sure I understand it, two 4th round picks and swapping seconds equates to using the 13th overall pick on Ragland? That can't be right. I have no idea what he's done to come to that conclusion unless he added up all the point values of the trade?

He's using approximate value instead of the Jimmy Johnson chart. Most teams use their own internally developed chart, so...

I'm not typically big on "this national guy always knocks us", but Barnwell always knocks the Bills. Last year he put us in the "Bottom 7 - teams with no prayer" portion of his season preview.

Reading the column, that's about the most brutal write up for a "B" offseason I've ever seen. The "things they did right" was full of negativity and the "things they did wrong" included a nice potshot about being low on homegrown drafted talent.

Edited by Chuck Wagon

He's using approximate value instead of the Jimmy Johnson chart. Most teams use their own internally developed chart, so...

I don't really care about anyone's idiosyncratic approximate value chart. If you trade #49, #117, and a 2017 fourth (usually counted as equivalent to a 2016 5th round pick,) there's no way that is getting you the #13 pick.

I'm not typically big on "this national guy always knocks us", but Barnwell always knocks the Bills. Last year he put us in the "Bottom 7 - teams with no prayer" portion of his season preview.

Reading the column, that's about the most brutal write up for a "B" offseason I've ever seen. The "things they did right" was full of negativity and the "things they did wrong" included a nice potshot about being low on homegrown drafted talent.

"low on homegrown talent" but disses the deal to keep Glenn - alrighty. Plus Dareus, Kyle, Watkins, Gilmore, Darby, Wood..... Edited by YoloinOhio

"low on homegrown talent" but disses the deal to keep Glenn - alrighty. Plus Dareus, Kyle, Watkins, Gilmore, Darby, Wood.....

He's a Giants fan, so I don't really understand why he's always so negative when it comes to the Bills. I'd think most teams would be thrilled to have a homegrown #1 WR / LT / 2 Corners / 3 DL (I think Hughes counts as "homegrown" we bought low and he broke out with us) who are all right on the edge of being All Pro level talent.

Oh I know the chart, but if you look at the numbers, it's not correct.

The 41st pick is worth 11 points, according to this guys chart. The Bills gave up 49(9.8), 107(4.8) and next years 2017 4th. The Jimmy Johnson chart says to value that 2017 pick at what the value of the 2016 pick was... which is odd to begin with anyways. This chart gives no such indication of what to do.

Bill conveniently picks Chase Stuarts chart and ignores the Jimmy Johnson one, to make his point.

And on what planet would those picks equate to the 13th overall pick? Using his chart the Bills could have easily moved up to the #4 spot by just giving up their 1st and 2nd this year. From 19 to 4 for a 2nd(49)... Sorry but that chart is pretty flawed.

What went wrong

The Bears were all set to take Jason Spriggs and wanted the Bills to make it worth it. Ragland was worth it for Whaley, the extra 4th was worth it for the Bears.

And then he ends up in Green Bay.

Why are the saber rattling from these columnists about the 4th round picks to pick up a player who slid out of the 1st round?

They are FOURTH ROUND PICKS

We had TWO this year

regardless......if Ragland ends up being a stud MLB you will never hear any of these guys say anything again and they will hope people forget about it...much like when people were saying that Glenn was a guard and cant play OT.....cept his is probably a top 5-7 LOT in the league.

I don't really care about anyone's idiosyncratic approximate value chart. If you trade #49, #117, and a 2017 fourth (usually counted as equivalent to a 2016 5th round pick,) there's no way that is getting you the #13 pick.

It's not a draft day trade value chart, which only tells you the cost of moving around during the draft.

He's trying to set an approximate value for the impact the pick will have for his first 5 years in the league. Different animal.