espn radio just said

Buftex

The ESPN guy, Jason Smith, also says that the Bills are "locked and loaded" and were "the best team in the NFL" the last 10 weeks! He also says that the Bills are about 13 million under the salary cap! Maybe Samri Rolle? That is just me speculating, not ESPN!

I would love it if Vinnateri was signed! Lindell is horrid, and the best we can hope for him, at this point, would be for him to reliable within 40 yards, which he hasn't even achieved yet. Vinnateri could actually win a game or two for us. Kicker, receving tight end, back up QB vet, and another solid DB would be my priorites for the Bills, this off season.

Vinaterri = overrated. If BB according to some of you "was sooo smart and dropped DB because he sucked" Why would he not do the same if he knew he had an overrated kicker?

Well thats bad logic, but I do think he's overrated. His regular season stats are just ok. Just because his team makes it to the Superbowl and Shayne Graham's team doesn't.... well... doesn't necessarily make him a better kicker.

And I doubt any of you would be going this nuts over Shayne Graham.

The ESPN guy, Jason Smith, also says that the Bills are "locked and loaded" and were "the best team in the NFL" the last 10 weeks!

I disagree. That season finale against the Steelers really put the previous 9 weeks into perspective. However hopefully they've learned from it, in terms of what they need in terms of personnel and how to play when faced with that situation again.

I would love it if Vinnateri was signed!  Lindell is horrid, and the best we can hope for him, at this point, would be for him to reliable within 40 yards, which he hasn't even achieved yet.  Vinnateri could actually win a game or two for us.  Kicker, receving tight end, back up QB vet,  and another solid DB would be my priorites for the Bills, this off season.

There is NO WAY Vinatieri won't be franchised.

Vinaterri = overrated. If BB according to some of you "was sooo smart and dropped DB because he sucked" Why would he not do the same if he knew he had an overrated kicker?

Well thats bad logic, but I do think he's overrated. His regular season stats are just ok. Just because his team makes it to the Superbowl and Shayne Graham's team doesn't.... well... doesn't necessarily make him a better kicker.

And I doubt any of you would be going this nuts over Shayne Graham.

246648[/snapback]

Hey RT, I think your conclusion that Vinatierri regular season stats are "just ok" are a little off. You are looking at his stats, through the eyes of a Fantasy Football owner. I had Vinatieri on my FF team this past season, and you know what, he went a 4 week stretch, where he only attempted 1 field goal! It wasn't because he sucked, it was because the Pats were rolling over a bunch of teams. Most important to me, can you think of any game over the last 4 years, where Vinatieri missed a clutch kick, or one that in retrospect, cost his team a game? I don't think so. He may not have the hugest leg (although it is more than adequate), but the guy is as accurate as you could want him to be. Every kicker, no matter how good, will go through a game or two rut....Lindell has been in a perpetual rut. He was terrible before coming to Buffalo, and really hasn't improved.

The ESPN guy, Jason Smith, also says that the Bills are "locked and loaded"

246625[/snapback]

He's absolutely correct, especially in 2 days when the biggest dead weight on the roster is gone.

Now, time for TD to reverse another mistake.

DUMP LINDELL & SIGN VINATIERI! :doh:

doesn't anyone remember the december game we played in new england a few years back when vinitieri missed TWO short game winning field goals(one in regulation, one in OT) that allowed th bills to steal a win they didn't deserve? it was snowy and windy that day, but thy were makable kicks....didn't seem to affect christie when he got his turn.

all the credit in the world to the guy for winning two super bowls with late kicks, but i don't think he's all that great in crap weather. please don't overpay for a kicker, td.

but i don't think he's all that great in crap weather.  please don't overpay for a kicker, td.

246698[/snapback]

The FG he made in the Snow Bowl against the Raiders is one of the greatest kicks of all time. The AV of today is NOT the AV of a couple of years ago. Dude is as close to automatic as it comes. Keep in mind, he made the longest FG in the history of Heinz Field in the first quarter of the AFC Championship game.

Meanwhile, Lindell is shanking 28 yarders.

well i sure agree he's an upgrade from lindell...we all know that he would be. i just gotta think there is someone younger and cheaper available. the fact that donohoe could locate moorman leads me to believe there is hope we can get a decent young kicker in here without overpaying for someone like vinitieri.

plus, i hate him for being on the patriots so long. maybe we should have hung onto graham? too late to worry about that i guess...

Hey RT, I think your conclusion that Vinatierri regular season stats are "just ok" are a little off.  You are looking at his stats, through the eyes of a Fantasy Football owner.  I had Vinatieri on my FF team this past season, and you know what, he went a 4 week stretch, where he only attempted 1 field goal!  It wasn't because he sucked, it was because the Pats were rolling over a bunch of teams.  Most important to me, can you think of any game over the last 4 years, where Vinatieri missed a clutch kick, or one that in retrospect, cost his team a game?  I don't think so.  He may not have the hugest leg (although it is more than adequate), but the guy is as accurate as you could want him to be.  Every kicker, no matter how good, will go through a game or two rut....Lindell has been in a perpetual rut.  He was terrible before coming to Buffalo, and really hasn't improved.

246653[/snapback]

Time for my rebuttal I guess....

Vinatieri made the most field goals of any kicker in the league this year. I would think that wuold make him a good FF player. I guess my view of a kicker is one who can make the longs kicks with some accuracy, all pro kickers better be able to make the short ones.

Vinatieri's longest FG of the year was 48, same as last year. That tells me his coach does not have confidence in him to make the long ones. (The same coach who watches the guy practice) Thats not great. Vinatieri feels like another Lindell, except maybe a little better. Now let me point out that I don't think Vinatieri is a bad kicker right out. However I will say there are at least 10 better kickers than him in the league, probably more.

Lets aproach this another way....

of 5 kickers who is the worst:

Paul Edinger

Adam Vinatieri

John Kasay

Shayne Graham

Ryan Longwell

I say Vinatieri

The only reason I posted in the first place is because post like....

I got agree. Take the top 5 kicker salaries and Vinatieri is still a bargain.
and...
I will seriously crap my pants if the Bills managed to get Vinateiri.
and
I would love it, but why wouldn't the pats, for such a low price, make him their "franchise player?

all of these posts just grossed me out. I hated seeing an average player get such high praise, and had to say something about it. I would hate to see my team get an overrated guy like that on the team and overpay him.

He just had the 3 best years of his career and now wants big money so why should we help NE out again? Please don't get me wrong he's the best in the league and would be an upgrade over AL but he'll kill our cap. We've already did this wth Milloy and Bledsoe. Does anyone know his age? I just can't see paying huge dolloars for a kicker when we might be able to find a quality kicker for much less. JMO

Time for my rebuttal I guess....

Vinatieri made the most field goals of any kicker in the league this year. I would think that wuold make him a good FF player. I guess my view of a kicker is one who can make the longs kicks with some accuracy, all pro kickers better be able to make the short ones.

Vinatieri's longest FG of the year was 48, same as last year. That tells me his coach does not have confidence in him to make the long ones. (The same coach who watches the guy practice) Thats not great. Vinatieri feels like another Lindell, except maybe a little better. Now let me point out that I don't think Vinatieri is a bad kicker right out. However I will say there are at least 10 better kickers than him in the league, probably more.

Paul Edinger

Adam Vinatieri

John Kasay

Shayne Graham

Ryan Longwell

I say Vinatieri

The only reason I posted in the first place is because post like....

and...

and

all of these posts just grossed me out. I hated seeing an average player get such high praise, and had to say something about it. I would hate to see my team get an overrated guy like that on the team and overpay him.

246727[/snapback]

To keep bringing up Shayne Graham is kind of silly. He was flat out awful when we had him, and the Bills felt they could not keep losing games, because their kicker was going through "growing pains". It is saying something when the best "bad" game anyone can come up with, for Vinatieri is from like 5 years ago.

Most kickers, you give them enough time, and enough opportunities to stevesojohn (are we still doing that?) things up, they will eventually right them selves. Lindell is one of those rare exceptions of a guy who really has not improved a lot, for as long as he has been in the leauge.

I would agree that there may be a handful of better kickers in the leauge who are comperable to Vinatieri, or better if you insist, but none of them are potential free agents. Also, I would take a guy who is money from up to 48 yards, and not all that shabby beyond.

One thing that TD, and other GM's are guilty of, is taking PK's for granted. One might argue that if Lindell had nailed, what should have been a chip-shot, against the Steelers, that final game of the season might have turned out differently. The unpardonable sin, IMO, is that there has never really been an indication that Lindell will ever be anything more than a competant kicker, with a strong leg, and no accuaracy. Give me the weaker legged guy who will make the big kick more often than not. He might actually win you two or three games a season.

Adam Vinaterri!  That would be awesome!  That would almost make up, for me, getting rid of Drew!  Do it TD!

246615[/snapback]

I would be suprised if that happened. But is it realistic? Will the Patriots let one of their key players go? A kicker that has made two game winning kicks in the biggest game of the year?

I would love if we got him. I just don't see NE letting him go. He is THE most clutch kicker ever to play the game. AD is right--that snow bowl kick was one of the best kicks if not the best FG of all time. He kicks well in bad weather which is key playing in the AFC East.

The ONLY way the Bills get Vinateiri is if the Patriots front office has a serious brain fart and forgets the file the papers before Tuesday.

246774[/snapback]

Well, don't forget, the Pats have built their "dynasty" by not over-paying for players that they feel can be replaced. They do not spend lavishly. I am not even sure what other FA's they have. I have a feeling that Vinatieri may end up staying in New England, just out of loyalty, and a modest pay raise. He is a folk-hero of sorts in the New England area. We have seen other Patriots do it, save Lawyer Milloy.

The only reason that I am not so sure that it is academic that the Pats will franchise him, is that ESPN would likely not be talking about it. Not saying they won't, just don't think it is a "no-brainer". ESPN is wrong all the time. But, the story just sort of came out of left field, so I get the feeling the Bills are legitimately interested, and the rumour is being leaked from someone in, or close to the organization. This is not like everyone in the national media just assuming that Bledsoe will end up in Dallas, just because he played for Parcells before, and Dallas apparently needs a QB.

That being the case, the Bills front office seems savvy enough not to be talking it over amongst themselves, if they felt as sure the Pats were, as some here seem to be, going to franchise Vinatieri. Not saying it won't happen. Of course, this could all be some diablolcial plan by TD, to make the Pats think the Bills are interested in Vinatieri, so they franchise him, and it throws their salary cap out of wack! :doh:

well i sure agree he's an upgrade from lindell...we all know that he would be.  i just gotta think there is someone younger and cheaper available.  the fact that donohoe could locate moorman leads me to believe there is hope we can get a decent young kicker in here without overpaying for someone like vinitieri. 

246704[/snapback]

Agreed

I don't want him on the Bills. He is the Pats' Super Bowl hero. I don't want to see flashbacks to big Pats games every time he is lining up for a kick for Buffalo.

Let's get our own guy and build our own team and forget about the Pats.

Why would the Bills go public with thier designs to pursue a particular free agent? Because of Tom Donahoe's lengthy history of telegraphing his every move and blabbing to reporters about his every desire? :doh:

Ummmmmm, no.

Maybe they are interested in Vinatieri and a soon-to-be-former Bills employee has loose lips. But I think it's more likely that the Bills are more interested in 1)sending a little message to Lindell and 2)doing what they can to "help" the Patriots make the decision ot protect their assets by wasting their franchise tag to give big money to a kicker.

Cya

>>>>2)doing what they can to "help" the Patriots make the decision ot protect their assets by wasting their franchise tag to give big money to a kicker.<<<<<

The above makes a TON of sense. I think that you are on the money. Why would the pats NOT franchise this guy?

Simon, you are a smart em-effer!!! :doh::):D

The FG he made in the Snow Bowl against the Raiders is one of the greatest kicks of all time.  The AV of today is NOT the AV of a couple of years ago.  Dude is as close to automatic as it comes.  Keep in mind, he made the longest FG in the history of Heinz Field in the first quarter of the AFC Championship game.

Meanwhile, Lindell is shanking 28 yarders.

246700[/snapback]

No way. No more Bill Belichk rejects. I'm tired of his used garbage. I remember about five years ago when Vinatteri wore that scarf and missed two field goals against the Bills that cost the Pats the Win. What a fag, no NFL player who wears a scarf during a game will ever play for the Bills.

>>>>2)doing what they can to "help" the Patriots make the decision ot protect their assets by wasting their franchise tag to give big money to a kicker.<<<<<

The above makes a TON of sense. I think that you are on the money. Why would the pats NOT franchise this guy?

Simon, you are a smart em-effer!!!  :D  :)  ;)

246886[/snapback]

Hey, that is exactly what I suggested, just a few posts above Simon!!! Am I smart em-effer too? :P

No way. No more Bill Belichk rejects. I'm tired of his used garbage. I remember about five years ago when Vinatteri wore that scarf and missed two field goals against the Bills that cost the Pats the Win. What a fag, no NFL player who wears a scarf during a game will ever play for the Bills.

246897[/snapback]

Scarf comment cracked me up!!

I'm with ya......I don't want anymore patsy rejects.

http://www.nj.com/sports/times/index.ssf?/...07611208131.xml

More | Subscribe | 14-Day Archives (Free) | Long-Term Archives (Paid)

Eagles look to be fast shoppers

Sunday, February 20, 2005

MARK ECKEL

If history has told us anything about the Eagles and the way they handle free agency, it is they do things in a hurry.

Unlike their final touchdown drive in the Super Bowl, the Eagles generally act quickly on both keeping the free agents they want and going after the ones they want on the market.

Two of the team's biggest free agent signings of the past five years were right tackle Jon Runyan and defensive end Jevon Kearse. Both came within days of the market opening; Kearse came on the first day.

They acted quickly again this offseason when they took just one day to slap the franchise tag on defensive tackle Corey Simon.

Also consider that since head coach Andy Reid has been making the personnel decisions and team president Joe Banner the money decisions, once a key Eagle reaches the free agent market, he does not come back.

What the Eagles do is come up with a figure they feel is fair and present it to the player they want to keep. If he accepts it, they announce the deal; if he does not, he hits the market, and more times than not finds a better deal from another team.

That means this next week could be a busy time for Reid, Banner and a few of the Eagles' potential free agents.

Free agency starts a week from Tuesday, so if the Eagles plan to keep middle linebacker Jeremiah Trotter, defensive end Derrick Burgess, guard Jermane Mayberry or anyone else, it could happen some time between tomorrow and a week from tomorrow.

According to Times research, after placing the tag on Simon, which commits $5.134 million of cap space, the Eagles have about $12 million to spend, if, as expected, the 2005 cap reaches $85 million.

If you put $3 million aside for draft picks, another $1.5 million for a tender on restricted free agent running back Brian Westbrook and $2 million for injury emergencies, the team will have less than $6 million to spend on keeping Trotter and the like, or going after anyone on the market.

Trotter's deal will be the most interesting. He wants to be here. They want him here. The tricky part is coming up with the right numbers.

Start with the five-year, $13 million deal (with a $4 million signing bonus) the team gave Dhani Jones last year and go from there. Trotter, a three-time Pro Bowler, deserves a better deal than Jones got, right?

The team can save itself a few bucks when it gets rid of wide receiver Freddie Mitchell (cap saving of $200,000), and even more if and when it gets rid of linebacker Nate Wayne (cap saving of $800,000).

There also are rumors the team may give Runyan an extension that will keep him around a few more years and lower his cap number this year.

Here is a list of the current Eagles players who carry a cap value of $2 million, or more: Quarterback Donovan McNabb, $8.141 million; Runyan, $6.5 million; Simon, $5.134 million; Kearse, $5.015 million; tackle Tra Thomas, $4.295 million; wide receiver Terrell Owens, $3.889 million; cornerback Lito Sheppard, $3.4 million; Wayne, $2.9 million; cornerback Sheldon Brown, $2.6 million; safety Brian Dawkins, $2.21 million; defensive end N.D. Kalu $2.196 million.

-- -- --

Wide receiver Freddie Mitchell made it clear to a few people during the course of last season that he did not plan to be back with the Eagles for the 2005-06 season.

Frustrated by what he felt was a lack of playing time and lack of respect, especially from quarterback Donovan McNabb, the ever-confident Mitchell wanted a chance to go somewhere else. He even joked he would "pull a Welbourn" in reference to offensive lineman John Welbourn, who talked his way into a trade last offseason.

The difference is Welbourn knew what to say and when to say it. He told The Times and then other media outlets that he didn't like the way the Eagles were doing things and mentioned the magic M word, Tom Modrak. It worked and he was sent to Kansas City. Welbourn got what he wanted, although he missed a Super Bowl, as well as the playoffs, in KC.

Mitchell has gone too far by insulting not just some of the stars on the Eagles (Terrell Owens, McNabb) but by bad mouthing the Patriots. His lack of production through his career make it tough enough to move him; now his talking is making it almost impossible.

A trade or a release will happen and Mitchell will be somewhere else next year. It just didn't have to be this difficult.

-- -- --

Three name quarterbacks who had success with one team and were cut by another team will be signing with a third team in the next couple of weeks.

Drew Bledsoe, formerly of New England and Buffalo, Jeff Garcia (San Francisco, Cleveland) and Kurt Warner (St. Louis, Giants) all will try again with new teams.

Bledsoe appears headed to Dallas, where he will replace Vinny Testaverde and reunite with Bill Parcells. Although some sources think Cleveland will be in the mix.

Garcia also could sign with his old coach, which would be Steve Mariucci in Detroit, where he would attempt to unseat the disappointing Joey Harrington. There also is word Garcia might go back to San Francisco.

Warner could attract the most interest with Detroit, New Orleans and favored Chicago as potential suitors.

-- -- --

Buffalo's release of Bledsoe combined with wide receiver Eric Moulds' new deal and the expected trade of running back Travis Henry will put the Bills close to $13 million under the salary cap.

That should provide the team with enough room to fix its biggest weakness, the offensive line. But according to reliable sources, the player who might top the Bills' free agent wish list is New England kicker Adam Vinatieri.

-- -- --

A soon-to-be free agent running back flying under the glare of bigger names Shaun Alexander (Seattle), Edgerrin James (Indianapolis) and Lamont Jordan (Jets) is James' backup with the Colts, Dominick Rhodes.

There are those familiar with Rhodes who feel that given the opportunity the 5-foot-9, 203-pound back could be similar to the Eagles' Brian Westbrook. Obviously what the Colts decide to do with James will effect Rhodes' situation.

If Indy lets James leave as a free agent, it would be smart for both sides for the Colts to sign Rhodes. If James stays, then Rhodes, 26, would look for a team that will give him a chance for more playing time.

-- -- --

Tampa Bay continues to work on ways to get under the salary cap. Currently, it is $14 million over.

First, getting rid of veteran quarterback Brad Johnson would save the team $4-$5 million. Next is a new deal for quarterback Brian Griese, who has a $6 million bonus that has to be turned into some sort of extension.

The Bucs also are trying to get two of the team's most popular players - linebacker Derrick Brooks and fullback Mike Alstott - to rework deals or take a pay cut.

Finally, linebacker Ian Gold could get released. NOTE: Mark Eckel is a Times staff writer.

Paul Edinger

Adam Vinatieri

John Kasay

Shayne Graham

Ryan Longwell

I say Vinatieri

This post is flabbergasting.

Belichick has all the confidence in the world in Vinatieri. The team does go for it in a lot of close situations inside the 50 where other teams might not because the team's execution is very good in short yardage situations (and the defense is good as well), and because 7 is more than 3. Equating that to a lack of confidence because his longest FG all year was 48 yards is frankly baffling.

There is no way that any of those kickers are better than Vinatieri.

It was though good to learn that Belichick watches Vinatieri in practice.

I don't want him on the Bills.  He is the Pats' Super Bowl hero.  I don't want to see flashbacks to big Pats games every time he is lining up for a kick for Buffalo.

Let's get our own guy and build our own team and forget about the Pats.

246834[/snapback]

I try to respect the opnions of others, but you wouldn't want Vinatieri because he is a "Pats SB hero"? :D:) So based on your logic, you wouldn't want Brady, Seymour, Branch, Bruschi or Law either?

I don't care what team a player is coming from. If the Bills can afford a player and he makes them a better team, bring him in!

I try to respect the opnions of others, but you wouldn't want Vinatieri because he is a "Pats SB hero"? :D  :)  So based on your logic,  you wouldn't want Brady, Seymour, Branch, Bruschi or Law either?

I don't care what team a player is coming from.  If the Bills can afford a player and he makes them a better team, bring him in!

247172[/snapback]

No I wouldn't. And I wouldn't have wanted Dan Marino or Emmitt Smith either.

I love players who build their careers in Buffalo. That's what made the teams in Marv's era so special. They weren't a bunch of hired guns from other teams that we as fans had spent the last ten years hating while they played for bitter rivals.

I understand that in free agency guys move around all the time, but filling up our roster with guys who built their legacy kicking the crap out of the Bills and the rest of the AFC East (and the league) is not how I want to see a championship team built in Buffalo.

You must be a Yankees fan. :P